Does This Happen in Your Part of the World?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Does This Happen in Your Part of the World?

Post by Cael »

Being 22 and living in Southern Texas for all 22 of those years has made me ignorant of the outside world. Lately, I have been hearing mama and papa be used to refer to young friends or small children. Is this happening anywhere else in the world that you know of?

Genome
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Does This Happen in Your Part of the World?

Post by Genome »

Not really, that would be very strange where I'm from.

Abi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Abi »

21, Northern Texas here. Never heard calling it to small children before, but some of the teenagers (usually girls) here have this bizarre "friend family" where they refer to each other as if they were part of a real family.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cael »

Abi wrote:21, Northern Texas here. Never heard calling it to small children before, but some of the teenagers (usually girls) here have this bizarre "friend family" where they refer to each other as if they were part of a real family.
That happens a lot down here too. I wouldn't recognize it as bizarre though because I've been roped into several friend families myself.

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

I've heard it in my part of Southern California
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

Yep, and it seems to me to be stereotyped of blacks and hispanics. I.e., in Black Dynamite, I remember that the eponymous hero refers to his female counterpart as 'mama' at one point. And I've heard Pitbull refer to girls as mamí before.
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Cael wrote:Being 22 and living in Southern Texas for all 22 of those years has made me ignorant of the outside world. Lately, I have been hearing mama and papa be used to refer to young friends or small children. Is this happening anywhere else in the world that you know of?
Referring to young friends and small children as mama, mami, papa, papi is common enough in San Salvador, El Salvador, yes.

DTheZombie
Niš
Niš

Post by DTheZombie »

I use "mama" as a general term of endearment for females, especially animals (for example I call my gma's dog "scruffy mama"), and I hear a lot of people around here use it similarly though it does sound a little dated to me (like a 1960's or 70's thing). I never hear papa used like that, some chicks around here call their boyfriends "daddy", though it's not really common.
"That was the Dependency Principle; that you could never forget where your off switches were located, even if it was somewhere tiresome." Iain M. Banks' Excession (ch.4)

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

In Bulgarian reciprocal kinship terms are used. I.e. a grandchild calling his grandpa "dyado" and having himself called the same by his grandfather.
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Likewise in (Levantine) Arabic: a father can call his children baaba, for example, whilst a mother can call her children maama. Grandma can call her grandchildren teeta, and so on.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Never heard it here, in northern Europe / UK.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

R.Rusanov wrote:In Bulgarian reciprocal kinship terms are used. I.e. a grandchild calling his grandpa "dyado" and having himself called the same by his grandfather.
immediately grandchild! an yogurt
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.