The Videogame Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: The Videogame Thread

Post by zompist »

Terra wrote:I just bought Left 4 Dead a couple days ago and played it for the first time. It was okay, but got repetitive. Maybe it would've been a better experience if I played with humans instead of computers.
Yeah, it's an awesome co-op game. I used to play Versus a lot, till people got too good at it. I loved the 4-player co-op mode, but it got hard to find people to do it.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

I'm gonna try to get into Guild Wars 2 again after the semester ends. I haven't played it in nearly a year, and MMOs like that can be heavily reliant on player activity, but I am really hoping it's still doing well because it's honestly one of the most beautiful video games I've ever played-- not just speaking in terms of visuals, but in terms of the entire experience. I think of it as a work of art, honestly, and a breath of fresh air in these times of cynicism and corporate greed in the video gaming world.

To anyone who's been keeping up with it: how is it doing? I remember even when I last played, it was suffering, mostly due to the devs reducing the chest rewards for world events and doing other things that make it next to impossible to make money in the endgame (I had to set up several rather elaborate Excel tables and trade crafting materials in bulk just to make ends meet, almost), because they want players to buy the gems. Also they seemed to be wanting to make all of the game's gorgeous and incredibly fun dungeons obsolete by directing all the players toward Fractals and Fractals alone. Really too bad.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I don't think I've ever played a PC game newer than Quake. I got bored with Fire Emblem a while ago so these days I only play Nethack or Kid Chameleon on the rare occasion that I play anything at all.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

I play MMOs almost exclusively. I've been playing WoW since the open beta before its release. During that time I've dabbled with a few others (LotRO, GW2, SWTOR, Rift, etc.), but nothing has held my interest for long. WoW is far from being the perfect game, but other games just haven't delivered as much enjoyment. Hopefully EQ Next will be something that holds longer term appeal.

The good thing about WoW is that there have been a lot of zones that give me inspiration for conlanging. Howling Fjord in Northrend fueled the muse for the original concept of my Tibetan Dwarvish lang, and now Kun-lai Summit is helping with the almost complete revision. Hopefully I can actually get that to a state that's presentable someday....
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

My hearthstone will forever be from Shattrath City. There is peace there.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

zompist wrote:You guys are arty... I'm having way too much fun playing Saints Row IV (which finally went on sale).
SPOILER: earth explodes at the end of act 1.

I actually played SR3 and SR4 as soon as they came out; I find the normal open-world car-jackin' genre to be rather tedious and it was a fantastic refresh, no matter what the purists say.

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

I recently started playing EVE, and am probably spending too much time just trading good and mining. Some people say that gameplay is like using spreadsheets, but I've been known to enjoy that.

I also started playing Kerbal Space Program again now that the research mechanics are implemented, which has proved interesting. I'm trying to play without the Engineer or MechJeb, so it's a lot harder to determine how much fuel I need to get anywhere.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Games I currently play: Nethack, League of Legends, Antichamber
Games I have played: Runescape, AdventureQuest (and DragonFable), SuperTux 2, Portal, Portal 2, Don't Starve, Spore, Worms: Armageddon, Worms World Party, the entire Lego franchise, Blazing Angels, Minecraft, Space Cadet Pinball, Simutrans, Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. 64, Pokémon Silver, that one Bejeweled clone, X-Wing Alliance, and others that I can't remember right now.
Games I am looking to get: Fez, Skyrim, Stanley Parable.
Extra geek cred: I own an Intellivision.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I've put some six hours into Antichamber... and I must say I've found it gimmicky and not too engaging. As deconstruction of videogame mechanics go its pretty interesting, but not as a videogame in itself <which may be the point?>. Playing it I felt a bit like one feels in one of those galleries or museums where most of the pieces are one large blue canvas, a can of soup on top of a brick, two forks intersecting over uganda in a world map, and bowl of rice with a cockroach in it. Sure, I get like half the intertextualities, and its not like its *bad*, there's interesting meditations on just what is a game mechanic and so on... but its not like I'm enjoying myself immensely either, and I don't enjoy the "life advice" vibe either, but that's just taste.

Gaming related... I'm not ignorant regarding computers but I know there's a lot of neurons here: do you guys know how important is a machine's CPU with regards to gaming ? <assuming a dedicated CPU, I'm thinking a gtx660 or somesuch>

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

It depends on the game; many games require far more video card processing power than CPU processing power. But a better CPU will almost never be a bad idea (there are a few exceptions, but they're mostly games which choke because of early arbitrary format restrictions).
Image Image

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Its just I'm at like 800 bucks for a rig I'm thinking of putting together and CPUs are pretty damned expensive and, like... i get the feeling most low-end gpus are much less powerful than high-end ones, whereas a high-end cpu is not so faraway from a low-end one. Also, parts are fucking expensive here in the third world, like 1,7x the price you guys pay in civilization... maybe I ought to buy online ?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Um yes why are you not buying online if you don't have a goodpricehaving local shop?
Image Image

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

CPUs are pretty damned expensive
I bought my processor for $50. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116889 ) I'm not sure what you're doing that requires something faster. If you really need/want something faster though, just be aware that the processor is very probably not the bottleneck of your computer; The hard drive is. Getting a solid state drive would actually noticeably improve the loading/saving times of things.

(Does Newegg ship to Chile?)
Gaming related... I'm not ignorant regarding computers but I know there's a lot of neurons here: do you guys know how important is a machine's CPU with regards to gaming ? <assuming a dedicated CPU, I'm thinking a gtx660 or somesuch>
As Nessari said, the graphics card is more important.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Terra wrote:
CPUs are pretty damned expensive
I bought my processor for $50. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116889 ) I'm not sure what you're doing that requires something faster. If you really need/want something faster though, just be aware that the processor is very probably not the bottleneck of your computer; The hard drive is. Getting a solid state drive would actually noticeably improve the loading/saving times of things.
SSDs imo aren't worth the expense. Sure they load faster, but they have a dramatically lower life expectancy, which combined with how expensive they are...yeah no thanks just yet.
Image Image

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Nessari wrote:Um yes why are you not buying online if you don't have a goodpricehaving local shop?
a few reasons: international shipping is not totally reliable, and when we're talking half a grand it getting lost in the ether that is between here and the rest of the world is significant risk. also buying local gives me warranty: local vendors typically offer one year's worth of free repairs unless I were to decide to dip the motherboard in rainwater or something

Still, I'm thinking of buying the GPU online, the component where there's most difference in prices: for example, a radeon 7790 goes for 120 bucks on newegg: here its 110 thousand pesos [210 usd, give or take]. I could get a 7870 for that price.

a 120Gig ssd for 90 bucks? maaaaaan, i feel shafted... those things go for 200 boulders here =(

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Aw fuuuuuck... between tariffs, VAT and shipment expenses it comes down to more or less the same amount of money, except if I import the stuff I don't get any warranty I can leverage and would have to wait for almost a month. Oh, well, I guess the market works here and local vendors don't charge beyond what a regular joe would pay for importing himself.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Torco wrote:if I import the stuff I don't get any warranty I can leverage
en ingles se dice 'use', managerialista.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

weno disculpa por que se me peguen las weas de expresiones po weon!
<well excuse me for having some fucking expressions stick into my 'lect, dude> in chilean spanish

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Wait, which word should be replaced with "use"? I'm not sure any of them make sense. Also, there seems to be some punctuation lacking.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:Wait, which word should be replaced with "use"? I'm not sure any of them make sense. Also, there seems to be some punctuation lacking.
s/leverage/use/
Image Image

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

except if I import the stuff I don't get any warranty I can use is what pthug would have preferred

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

For the record I was only clarifying the confusion, leverage works well enough for me to not raise a stink there.
Image Image

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

If I'd have fixed anything, I'd have put commas after "stuff" and "leverage" and used a "that". But anyway.

Antichamber is haard

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

"Leverage" worked for me there, actually; I do not see any real need to replace it with "use" myself.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Antichamber is haard
Tell me about it.
although its kind of antigame hard, like... its not hard in the sense that it demands a degree of system mastery that one simply hasn't garnered yet... its more like... i dunno, the puzzles feel to me like those questions/jokes people ask you when they try to be pithy, except they're actually just repeating stuff that supposedly makes ex-post sense except it can *only ever* make ex-post sense and thus demand from you what is basically trial and error gameplay, which isn't my favourite. like "what's one half of one? 0,5? no! the navel" [works better in spanish]. I hate those kinds of "riddles", memory riddles, basically, which make no sense other than being intentionally misleading and then laughing in your face for having mislead you.
Travis B. wrote:"Leverage" worked for me there, actually; I do not see any real need to replace it with "use" myself.
The need is not to use words that sometimes people from business use because they urr evil and also beige =P