CCC Land Grab

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

CCC Land Grab

Post by zompist »

So long as I was on the Mac, I thought I'd might as well create the global map with a grid.

If the planet is about 40,000 km in circumference, as ours is, then each square is 833 km tall, and the same distance wide along the equator (but 833 x cos θ km at latitude θ).

The letters are every other square, so if the top left square is A12, we'll call the one to its right A12r.

As you may have guessed by now, the idea is to claim a square where you'd like to develop a culture. You don't have to describe the culture yet.

Whoever created a continent or island gets dibs on the first square on it. I don't think this has to be very formal... go ahead and claim a spot as you like, we'll work out conflicts later.

You can declare a species too, which doesn't have to be one you created. Recall that the dominant species are supposed to be golems and humans, but nightpeople and munkees can pretty much fit anywhere as well.

My original scheme for enforcing the species voting was to allow only as many cultures as votes, but almost all the species got a dozen votes or more. So my next idea is that after a period of land grabbing, I'll seed the map with a number of "NPC cultures" to get the species into balance.
Attachments
CCC-land-grab.gif
CCC-land-grab.gif (103.53 KiB) Viewed 9157 times

Sakir
Sanci
Sanci

Re: CCC Land Grab

Post by Sakir »

I don't know how it works if I didn't submit a continent, so I'll post a range of squares in order of preference on Lyra: if they want the top pick, I'll defer to a lower pick.

J-6r > K-6 > J-6
Humans & Golems living together (Coastal: maybe golems will go grab crabs on the seabottom, and people will haul them up to the boats, haha)

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I didn't participate in the previous two steps. Am I allowed to join in now, or can I only watch now?

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I just now threw together a super rough climatic map. This assumes earthlike conditions, in terms of the rotation of the planet and the axial tilt, and also assumes that the northern edge of the map is roughly the north pole. The yellow-outlined areas are the horse latitudes, which are almost guaranteed to be arid, while the blue-gray-outlined areas represent wet zones. The green box (if you can see it) marks the area between the tropics, and the crummy black lines represent, in very broad strokes, the prevailing winds in the transition zones between dry and wet areas. In general, when wind blows off the ocean and into mountains, you'll have a wet area on the windward side of the range and a dry area on the lee.

EDIT: Oh, right, I should probably pick an area too. Since I submitted a species and a continent, I figure I'll use both. Let's put an odd group of Cynocephali fisher-folk on the island at the intersection of squares D5, D5r, D6, and D6r. This insular population may be all that remain of the species, who may have been otherwise displaced by more successful sentients.

If it's alright with everyone, I figure I'll claim all four squares; they look like they contain about one full square of land between them. I figure the island(s) there have a climate roughly similar to Honshu, based on its latitude.

EDIT AGAIN: Now that I look at it, I don't think that island was acually part of my continent. Instead, I'd like to claim the smaller islands in hexes D8 and D7 (or D7 if you'd prefer I stick strictly to one square). More like Hokkaido than Honshu, but the Cynocephali won't be growing crops anyway.
Attachments
CCC-land-grab.gif
CCC-land-grab.gif (84.99 KiB) Viewed 9140 times
Last edited by CatDoom on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

For a square I choose Q1r.

For a species I choose Amphibimorphs (if they're an option, of course).
It was about time I changed this.

Sakir
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sakir »

clawgrip wrote:I didn't participate in the previous two steps. Am I allowed to join in now, or can I only watch now?
My understanding of the concept is that each round of voting is open to all for submisisons, but the results of prior contests dictate parameters to follow. I didn't submit anything but votes in the previous two steps either.

Sources:
zompist wrote: You can skip a stage if you want and join in at a later stage.
zompist wrote: At each stage, the participants work on the aspect of the world in parentheses above-- e.g. in the sapient creation stage, everyone submits a description of an intelligent species.

There is a time limit. When it's up, the participants vote on the best work. That work becomes predominant-- e.g. in the continent stage, that continent is the biggest one; in the sapient stage, that becomes the most prevalent species; in the language stages, that culture becomes the next big empire.
zompist wrote: If someone doesn't participate for a round, their culture is assumed to stagnate; if they explicitly drop out, it either disappears or another player can take it over.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

I'd like to claim G-5 or V-5 (in that order of preference) for humans and nightpeople.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Anyone can grab land; you don't have to have participated before.

You can pick any species for now... if the results are far from the species voting, some adjustments may be needed. I'm hoping it all works out. Golems, humans, nightpeople, and munkees are guaranteed choices, as is your own species if you submitted one. Or if you're not human.

I should have said, if you're ambitious, you can start more than one culture, or reserve one for later. But make it clear which square is your first choice.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

G-4r, Golems, if CatDoom's climate map holds up. Otherwise, I might like to park myself in one of Sal's salt flats.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I'd like to take P3 then, but I'm split on whether it should be humans or golems.
Last edited by clawgrip on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I will take the Ḵsīnesīr on -5 between U and T
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

P minus 6 r

Although it would be nice to have the climate map worked out before we do the landgrab.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

An idea came to me, that each species' new culture gets several squares according to its dominance.
Golems, 4; Humans, 3; Munkees and Nightpeople, 2; everything else, 1 (for example).

I don't know if it's too late, or an idea for a future date, but there we go (fire at will :wink: ).
Although it would be nice to have the climate map worked out before we do the landgrab.
True. I've worked out an idea with "tropical rainforest" included (dunno if I'm positioned well). Even if I have to change that, it would be nice to have some info beforehand to include in the culture section.
It was about time I changed this.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I'm going to sneak in here and nab C-4r.

edit: I'll just be doing humans.
Last edited by Risla on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

P10r with nightpeople.

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

P -6 with humans (because I'm humanocentric. >.>).
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I'm making a basic climate map out of the map here, note that I am assuming that 30 degrees north or south would be at 4.5 grid squares, not 4, (meaning there are 1.5 grid squares off the top and the bottom of the map that aren't shown) to avoid massive pinching at the poles. Once I'm done with that I'll post it and pick a spot.

At an early glance, there doesn't seem to be many monsoon areas (except possibly on Lyra's continent) due to the relatively small sizes and how spread out they are.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

I am interested in N-3r for the birdmen, and B1 or B1r for the Munkees although it depends on how ambitious I am. I may cede the Bs to someone else if I decide to flunk out on the Munkees. Is there a deadline? And I assume any deadline is earlier than the deadline for the cultures?

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

M-10r (my island) for my dragons. Nice and isolated.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I2 > I1 > G2, with Batti for my claim.

Climate map, assuming small strips of land/water missing from the polar areas:
Attachments
climate.png
climate.png (19.49 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Haplogy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Haplogy »

Assuming Lyhoko's map is what we're sticking with, I'm going for P2r > O1r > Q1r with munkees.
Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil!

alassion
Sanci
Sanci

Post by alassion »

I'd like E8r for Golems, and W-4 for Orcs.
Thanks for reading.

Kawdek
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kawdek »

H-7r > C-8r
Golems and Humans

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I think I'll take W1 with munkees.

Also, thanks for doing a climate map, Lyhoko. (I haven't gone over it closely, but it strikes me that a few of the orange (desert) coasts with in-blowing rain would be something else.)

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I've changed some of the deserts, (mainly ones on the east coasts) the others I didn't really notice any (significant) in-blowing winds on, at least not for the winds+pressure areas that I put in which take into account the landmasses. I was a bit rushed when I was making it, so there might be some other goofs or something in there.