Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ooh, very nice.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I just read the online obituary for a friend's mother in the Shreveport Times. At the bottom of it, I was offered three options:

Close
Send Flowers
Send Comfort Food

I think my stony Yankee heart may have melted just a little bit.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

When my dad died there was a group in town that would send me and my mom dinners every night for a few weeks. It was pretty cool.

(I live in Connecticut)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Rui wrote:When my dad died there was a group in town that would send me and my mom dinners every night for a few weeks. It was pretty cool.

(I live in Connecticut)
Yeah, perhaps I should've said "My stony urban heart". This is really more of a small-town/closed-community sort of thing than a regional feature. (Or perhaps "My stony bourgeois heart" because there's a class dimension as well.)

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Probably more urban than anything, as my hometown is firmly upper middle class (median household income is 6 figures, for example).

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Since last night, I have relearned all the hiragana to the point that I can essentially read and write them fluently, almost all the katakana, and a handful of kanji. I'm a bit alarmed by how fast I'm going, but it's probably mostly a function of having learned them a few years ago (and subsequently forgotten everything).

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

Risla wrote:Since last night, I have relearned all the hiragana to the point that I can essentially read and write them fluently, almost all the katakana, and a handful of kanji. I'm a bit alarmed by how fast I'm going, but it's probably mostly a function of having learned them a few years ago (and subsequently forgotten everything).
That happened to me with Matrix Algebra. I nearly failed it 6 years ago due to having a terrible professor and being really really depressed. This summer I wanted to re-learn it and I was like "dafuq this is so simple"

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Electric is back!

Just to say, the crisis is still going quite strong, enough for someone to come and steel the transformer... again.
It was about time I changed this.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

my iberian relatives told stories about how rumanians stole power wires, leaving entire pueblos in the dark, to sell the copper.
España va bien!

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

romanians

putos rumanos xD

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

ol bofosh wrote:Electric is back!

Just to say, the crisis is still going quite strong, enough for someone to come and steel the transformer... again.
Doesn't a transformer need a cool down period after it is switched of? Pretty cool if it does, and they / them managed to snatch it burning hot. Also electricity powerful to knock your socks of.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Torco wrote:my iberian relatives told stories about how rumanians stole power wires, leaving entire pueblos in the dark, to sell the copper.
España va bien!
Qué sí, qué sí, todo va bien. :mrgreen:

It usually is the Romanians (by all reports, anyway).
Shrdlu wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:Electric is back!

Doesn't a transformer need a cool down period after it is switched of? Pretty cool if it does, and they / them managed to snatch it burning hot. Also electricity powerful to knock your socks of.
Does it? The first time they removed it, threw it down and whipped the copper out. The second time they were caught. This third time they took the entire thing away. I suppose a little heat or a heavy weight doesn't matter for a couple of thousand euros. That'll fill little stomachs for a little while, anyway.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

rumaneses, believe it or not

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

And not rumanos? Never heard my girlfriend saying rumaneses.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

well, the same person said "chequia" when referring to the czech republic soooo yeah

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

I am now on HRT. Woo!
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Nesescosac wrote:I am now on HRT. Woo!
Croatian television, is it? Gz.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

The Planet Construction Kit found. Someone else had it all along.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Oooh, congratulations Nesescosac!

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Torco wrote:well, the same person said "chequia" when referring to the czech republic soooo yeah
xDDDD

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

You know Czechia is its name, right? And the Czech Republic is just the long name, i.e. the Kingdom of Spain and the Republic of Chile?

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

New washing machine in place and working well. I mostly pleased, apart from when they tried to sneak some insurance we didn't want into the deal. I spotted the move though, and resisted it successfully.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Astraios wrote:You know Czechia is its name, right? And the Czech Republic is just the long name, i.e. the Kingdom of Spain and the Republic of Chile?
No, it isn't- not in English. I have never heard "Czechia" in the wild, nor in the media. I've occasionally heard it from Eastern Europeans with minimal levels of English. Czech Republic is the normal form, it's not a rarely-used hyper-formal "long name" like "the Kingdom of Spain".
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Dewrad wrote:
Astraios wrote:You know Czechia is its name, right? And the Czech Republic is just the long name, i.e. the Kingdom of Spain and the Republic of Chile?
No, it isn't- not in English. I have never heard "Czechia" in the wild, nor in the media. I've occasionally heard it from Eastern Europeans with minimal levels of English. Czech Republic is the normal form, it's not a rarely-used hyper-formal "long name" like "the Kingdom of Spain".
I've never seen Czechia anywhere in English or any similar equivalents in either French or German, either. In the latter two, it's still always the equivalent of "Czech Republic". (That said, plenty of people misuse "long names" and hyper-formal names all the time: see Ireland as an example.)

Happy: Snow's starting to melt.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Yeah I know, I'm just saying it's not incorrect to call it Czechia. Like it's not incorrect to call Wales Cymru in English but who does that because normal people use Wales instead.

Just like how normal people say 'left groin'. >:|