Flaidish errata/questions

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Flaidish errata/questions

Post by vec »

You give the pronunciation of Syxesteer as /'səks əs tir/. However, later you say "Flaidish vowels are not reduced to schwa, unless they're written with y or final -a. Thus Muncham = /mʋnčæm/ not /mʋnčəm/; nolleck is /nɔlɛk/ not /nɔlək/." Shouldn't the capital's name thus be /'səks ɛs tir/?

The document also always uses the symbol for the labiodental approximant /ʋ/ instead of the symbol for the close vowel /ʊ/. This may have had something to do with technical limitations at the time of writing. The IPA consistently shows up in a different font. You can of course fix this now by 2014.

What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?

Finally, why does tresspo [trɛspo] but lele [lili]? How come these two finals didn't develop analoguously?
vec

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Flaidish errata/questions

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

vec wrote:What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?
As far as I can see, it only depends on whether the following consonant is written double or single, as is <nolleck> /nɔlɛk/ and <goreck> /gurɛk/.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:
vec wrote:What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?
As far as I can see, it only depends on whether the following consonant is written double or single, as is <nolleck> /nɔlɛk/ and <goreck> /gurɛk/.
Then shouldn't Syxesteer be /'səks ɛs tir/?
vec

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

vec wrote:
Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:
Then shouldn't Syxesteer be /'səks ɛs tir/?
Probably.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Yeah, the middle vowel shouldn't be reduced.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Could you then correct it?