How do you organize a list of sound changes?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
MysteryMan23
Sanci
Sanci

How do you organize a list of sound changes?

Post by MysteryMan23 »

Okay, so you have a list of sound changes for your language, dating all the way to its earliest reconstructed ancestor which existed thousands of years ago. It's clear your language has a complex linguistic history, being in a subgroup of a subgroup of a subgroup, etc. of its overall language family.

My question is, how would you divide up and organize the list of sound changes? Like, do you just do the changes from one node to the next, or do you list the changes that happened during each stage? Or do you do it some other way?

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: How do you organize a list of sound changes?

Post by StrangerCoug »

I do the "one node to the next" approach, but keep in mind that, due to the existence of dialects, it's actually simplified from real life. You may want to do the dialectal differences as the first changes you make when going to the next node.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Ive been editing a single HTML file for almost 10 years now with all my sound changes. http://3centsoap.com/pabappa13.html for example, thgough even that is very outdated .... Im on version 22B now. although its true that there isnt a giant thunderclap every time a language splits into two, it is a convenient place to end a list, since youll be looking back at it fr4equently.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

zyxw59
Lebom
Lebom

Post by zyxw59 »

I have mine organized in a series of html tables, heavily inspired by http://steen.free.fr/wenedyk/gmp.html, Although I store the actual data in a much simpler text file, with a program I wrote for formatting it all prettily. That way, if I decide to change the formatting, I just have to change the program, rather than the data file, and multi-line cells are much easier to deal with.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Typically "one node to the next". I'll also tend to subdivide the list of changes by period: exactly what lengths of time varies, but 200 year intervals is fairly typical.