What do the rank names mean in Verdurian?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

What do the rank names mean in Verdurian?

Post by Birdlang »

What exactly do the names of the Incatena ranks mean in Verdurian?
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Re: What do the rank names mean in Verdurian?

Post by Dewrad »

Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

why are half of those from latin and slavic?

ad, alta, appellare, apollo, arachnis, arbor, arcum, argentum, azur ...

okno, svetla, borsuk, bogaty, chetvert, chisto, chesto, zdorova, dzienkuy, dinya, dobre, dom, den, drug, dukh....

feels very unprofessional
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

You know Verdurian was Zomp's first conlang, right? This was before the days of easy, computer-assisted vocab generation.

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

Even the name is a Romance loan:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verdura

But yeah, I believe Zomp started working on Verdurian when he was a teenager or even younger, and has made few changes to the basic vocabulary since then. The page says copyright 1998 but it was already fully fleshed out by 2001 so the language might be older than that. Another page on the site says 1994. So maybe not as old as I thought, but someone could fill me in. http://www.zompist.com/secreth.htm says the 1980s.
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Zompist wrote:Some Verdurian words are invented from scratch (e.g. mazhtana or elir 'life'); others I stole mostly from French and Russian. This was even more evident in the earliest versions of the language. It was also rather harder to pronounce, since I tended to import the Russian consonant clusters and palatals unmodified.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Neon Fox wrote:You know Verdurian was Zomp's first conlang, right? This was before the days of easy, computer-assisted vocab generation.
I've no problem with zompist taking words from real languages, but if I did the lack of computer assistance wouldn't be an excuse: coming up with words by yourself really isn't that difficult ...

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I began working on Verdurian in 1978. I revised it heavily in the early 1990s after learning about historical linguistics.

It's a bit ironic when a member of my board comments that it's not a pure a posteriori naturalistic language. Uh yeah, why do you think this board tends to prefer that sort of conlang? Maybe something to do with the models and the kit and the tools provided by its founder?

I'll also mention that when I started Verdurian I was heavily influenced by Tolkien, whose public-facing model was a world where the closer languages were to the protagonists' culture, the more familiar they looked. So Verdurian was supposed to look like a European language, while farther-off languages would be more exotic.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

zompist wrote:the models and the kit and the tools provided by its founder
next time just make a webpage that says "read typology books pleb" and save yourself a bunch of work hth
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Hallow XIII wrote:
zompist wrote:the models and the kit and the tools provided by its founder
next time just make a webpage that says "read typology books pleb" and save yourself a bunch of work hth
If I wanna buy a car and personalize it you would tell me to get an engineering degree first.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

what do you want, I'm a product of my times
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

They are named after army ranks??? So Niš must be trainee, and Osän is master.
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Birdlang wrote:They are named after army ranks??? So Niš must be trainee, and Osän is master.
No!

Niš 1 = "niš - nothing; zero; as interjection, fine, OK, great (nišei niš nišán) [NISIOS] / niš fleade Verdurian name for the Q (q or ʔ) used in Flaidish / niš er niš absolutely nothing"

Sanci 15 = "sanci - recruit, inductee, newbie [sam cistilan ‘without a crown’, i.e. without the decoration for a year’s service]"

Lebom 75 = "lebom - novice, apprentice"

Avisaru 250 = "avisaru - student in an avisar"

Smeric 1000 = "smeric - candidate for a degree; student; disciple (pl. smerisĭ) [SUMERIC ‘student’; see sumerir]"

Sumerul 2500 = "sumerul - ‘bachelor’, one who has successfully completed his university studies; cf. smeric"

Visanom 5000 = "visanom - scientist, serious scholar; expert; -ologist"

Šriftom 7500 = "šriftom - doctor, professor, holder of a scrifteca; wise man"

Osän 10000 = "osän - master, teacher, tutor, doctor, guru [so san’ ‘the lord’]"

Yes, I just did that *for* you, and no, these aren't "army ranks". Next time you might should click the llink you're provided.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Actually, relatedly, what does vohpenonomae's custom rank ("N'guny") mean?

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:Actually, relatedly, what does vohpenonomae's custom rank ("N'guny") mean?
They have a custom rank? I ne'er noticed.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:Actually, relatedly, what does vohpenonomae's custom rank ("N'guny") mean?
I don't think it's in Verdurian; it may not even be in an Almean language? For some reason I associate it with Elkaril, but I might easily be wrong.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

It's Elkarîl, yes.

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

vohpenonomae's rank appears to mean "witch, sorcerer, enchanter", based on the word in the Elkarîl lexicon n'guñ with that meaning.

Edit: I think it's interesting that neither lil nor rim is what a human would call "focal green"--rîm is better than either, IMO. Khil, nij, ñij and jith are pretty good foci by human standards, though qiñ is a little light for focal purple, at least to my eye, and of course ggich/teal isn't a usual basic color term in human langs.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Neon Fox wrote:vohpenonomae's rank appears to mean "witch, sorcerer, enchanter", based on the word in the Elkarîl lexicon n'guñ with that meaning.

Edit: I think it's interesting that neither lil nor rim is what a human would call "focal green"--rîm is better than either, IMO. Khil, nij, ñij and jith are pretty good foci by human standards, though qiñ is a little light for focal purple, at least to my eye, and of course ggich/teal isn't a usual basic color term in human langs.
I wouldn't be surprised if these colors are actually an adaptation to their lifestyle, which involves so many grays that being able to distinguish more colors would be more successful for them.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Yiuel Raumbesrairc wrote:
Neon Fox wrote:vohpenonomae's rank appears to mean "witch, sorcerer, enchanter", based on the word in the Elkarîl lexicon n'guñ with that meaning.

I wouldn't be surprised if these colors are actually an adaptation to their lifestyle, which involves so many grays that being able to distinguish more colors would be more successful for them.
Oh, yeah, that's clearly the motivation behind the systematic-vowel-changing thing. I was speaking more in terms of which colors are the "basic" ones. Apparently, even speakers of languages that don't have, e.g., separate words for "blue" and "green", when asked to pick the best example of blue/green, will pick either focal green or focal blue, as agreed upon by speakers of languages that do distinguish. So either Elcari have slightly different visual apparatus, which is surely not implausible, or they agreed at some point a long time ago to use focal colors that were spread out in some particular way even though that meant that the "best" green didn't get a basic term of its own.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

They are a different species, so the focal colors are different for them.

(I have to admit, I didn't work them out on a neurological level. Maybe I will... :) )