Kebreni grammar page

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Kebreni grammar page

Post by vec »

There seems to be an issue – the lexicon has been moved up into the middle of the page...
vec

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Kebreni grammar page

Post by vec »

Also, shouldn't the example "gem śaida hazigai nyne – that beautiful and proud maiden" say gente instead of gem?
vec

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

The sound changes have also been displaced it seems, though not their heading.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Huh? I'm not seeing anything weird or new, either with Mac Firefox or PC IE.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

It works in linux Firefox, fails in linux Chromium, works in linux Opera 12.16 (the newest version of Opera is based off Chrome, so prolly not worth checking), placement works in Konqueror (the only other browser I have installed) but everything from Curiously, the voicing of medial consonants (e.g. demettan → demedu) seems to be an areal feature, shared with Ismaîn and the Avélan dialect of Verdurian just above the Lexicon intro paragraph to For borrowings into Ismaîn see the Ismaîn lexicon is bolded.

So basically something somewhere bugged in Chrome. Idk what to say about the bolding thing.
Image Image

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Nessari wrote:It works in linux Firefox, fails in linux Chromium, works in linux Opera 12.16 (the newest version of Opera is based off Chrome, so prolly not worth checking), placement works in Konqueror (the only other browser I have installed) but everything from Curiously, the voicing of medial consonants (e.g. demettan → demedu) seems to be an areal feature, shared with Ismaîn and the Avélan dialect of Verdurian just above the Lexicon intro paragraph to For borrowings into Ismaîn see the Ismaîn lexicon is bolded.

So basically something somewhere bugged in Chrome. Idk what to say about the bolding thing.
It seems that the problem is due to missing </p> tags. Many (all?) paragraphs on the page only have an opening <p> tag, but no closing one. Firefox seems to be able to handle this, but Chrome mixes up the order of elements completely.

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

Cedh wrote:It seems that the problem is due to missing </p> tags. Many (all?) paragraphs on the page only have an opening <p> tag, but no closing one. Firefox seems to be able to handle this, but Chrome mixes up the order of elements completely.
<p> without </p> is valid and common HTML, <p> is one of the elements whose closing tag is optional. Chrome handles it fine, it's highly unlikely to be the culprit.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Cedh wrote:
Nessari wrote:It works in linux Firefox, fails in linux Chromium, works in linux Opera 12.16 (the newest version of Opera is based off Chrome, so prolly not worth checking), placement works in Konqueror (the only other browser I have installed) but everything from Curiously, the voicing of medial consonants (e.g. demettan → demedu) seems to be an areal feature, shared with Ismaîn and the Avélan dialect of Verdurian just above the Lexicon intro paragraph to For borrowings into Ismaîn see the Ismaîn lexicon is bolded.

It seems that the problem is due to missing </p> tags. Many (all?) paragraphs on the page only have an opening <p> tag, but no closing one. Firefox seems to be able to handle this, but Chrome mixes up the order of elements completely.
I recall this being brought up in the past (though I can't recall about what); Mark said his HTML is written in an earlier style, before closing <p> tags became the rage. And, as Aino says, it's still valid HTML.

Apologies if I'm mangling what your response actually was, Zomp. And I'm not intending to say you're a stick-in-the-mud xD
Image Image

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

It's working fine now.
vec

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Some more questions about Kebreni grammar:

Under the section on the -te relativizer, it mentions that falaute gem means "one of you". But isn't an alternative possible translation "your one?" How is this ambiguity resolved?

The sentence: Ḣem ḣouźi kriida immi konarei mengu is translated "because I lost the mortgage document, the bank is whining" but strictly speaking shouldn't it be "the document", since gemeśa is "mortgage?"

Just above that the text says "To second clause can however be fronted," which I think should read "The second clause".
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Under the section on the -te relativizer, it mentions that falaute gem means "one of you". But isn't an alternative possible translation "your one?" How is this ambiguity resolved?
I don't think it's ambiguous in Kebreni-- it's "one (relating to you)".

But then I'm having trouble coming up with a context for "your one". If you're (say) pointing to someone's written numeral 1 and say "I like your one", then "falaute gem" would be correct, but also clear in context. If you're trying to use "one" as a generic pronoun (as in "the same one"), then the usual translation would be just "falaute".
The sentence: Ḣem ḣouźi kriida immi konarei mengu is translated "because I lost the mortgage document, the bank is whining" but strictly speaking shouldn't it be "the document", since gemeśa is "mortgage?"
Yes, it's really a typo (corrected in the newest LCK but not in the online grammar): gemeśate should be inserted before kriida, as it is in the next example.
Just above that the text says "To second clause can however be fronted," which I think should read "The second clause".
Too true!

Sortsdam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sortsdam »

As you know, O Zomp, we all expect your output to be 100% flawless and omnipotent. I am waiting for LCK in the mail, and yes, I expect 100% omniperfection.