The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by R.Rusanov »

Does English take complements of its copula in the objective or subjective case?

I.e., which is correct: That is he/That is him, The leader is who/The leader is whom ?

Indoeuropean languages tend to make copular complements nominative, but I dunno about english
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

R.Rusanov wrote:I.e., which is correct: That is he/That is him
Both are correct. People will probably look at you funny though when you say "that is he" (let alone "it is I"). See also here: .

JAL

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

the prescriptively correct case is the nominative, e.g. 'it is I!' but with pronouns the objective case is less marked in modern english imo. But 'whom' itself is marked and has kind of lost to a significant degree its case properties in favour of pretentiousness properties so you can probably use it wherever you want with the caveat that you'll sound a bit ridiculous, especially if you use it in nominative places?
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

St Peter hears the bell ring at the Pearly Gates.

"Who's there?" he asks.

"It is I!"

"Go to Hell!" he roars. "We already have enough English teachers up here."

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

R.Rusanov wrote:Does English take complements of its copula in the objective or subjective case?

I.e., which is correct: That is he/That is him, The leader is who/The leader is whom ?

Indoeuropean languages tend to make copular complements nominative, but I dunno about english
I was taught in grade school that the "correct" way would be "that is he", but it's totally unnatural to me, and I always would say "that is him" (or "that's him"). I never was taught to use whom in school and I don't use it in any context (even though I'm a recovering grammar nazi, I never actually figured out when you were "supposed" to use "whom"...), so I'd say "the leader is who?"
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

It occurred to me just now that with singular they becoming more acceptable in prose, it's probably only a matter of time before we start seeing new explicit plurals parallel to "y'all", "yous", "you guys", etc. but I don't recall hearing any. Anybody have some to report?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:It occurred to me just now that with singular they becoming more acceptable in prose, it's probably only a matter of time before we start seeing new explicit plurals parallel to "y'all", "yous", "you guys", etc. but I don't recall hearing any. Anybody have some to report?
No, and I don't know if I would agree. Y'all has a long history in this country and you don't see it in any prose outside of its speech community or unless employed as a rhetorical device.

Even though our language is in desperate need in my opinion of a standardized second person plural, we are a stubborn bunch and so would rather live with inconvenience. I think to an extent it might be interesting to look at the forms now used as markers of identity, and perhaps so much so that we do not want to rid that distinction by standardizing them, or choosing one over the other for standardization.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I should add that even though both pronouns solve a problem, singular they is considerably less marked. In fact it is so unmarked I can't tell you of a single anecdote where singular they marked any sort of regionality, class, age, etc. Whereas all of the second person plural forms are marked quite heavily, especially y'all and yous. This unmarkedmess I'd argue has allowed singular they to be mainstreamed quickly and enter standardized language. No one has any identity ties to it, and in speech its use goes amiss generally. Anyone who has objections to it are quite frankly being pedantic as it's generally a neutral unmarked innovation that should thus be easily accepted into the standard.

If you can give me anecdotal examples where this form is marked, especially outside of written discourse, I'm all ears.

Also just now reading up on the history of they singular it has been in use in prose for centuries, by many respected authors, and was only thwarted in the 19th century by prescriptivists favoring he. So herein it even has a historical precedent which favors its quick mainstreaming or perhaps rather re-mainstreaming.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

vtardif
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vtardif »

linguoboy wrote:It occurred to me just now that with singular they becoming more acceptable in prose, it's probably only a matter of time before we start seeing new explicit plurals parallel to "y'all", "yous", "you guys", etc. but I don't recall hearing any. Anybody have some to report?
I know a fair number of people who are genderqueer and go by they pronouns. I find myself using 'they all' if a plural 'they' might be confused for a singular one.
(aka vbegin)

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Using they in a singular way is stupid, so I don't use it. IF you must be gender neutral, use he/she, as this is done in all sorts of publications anyway (at least they do it in Dutch, hij/zij).

Swedish now also has this gender-neutral pronoun thing, and of course because Sweden is so incredibly progressive the thing actually does get some usage and then of course it may have some merit if it's here around to stay.

I never heard of efforts for a gender-neutral pronoun in Dutch, incidentally. Because we already have 'het' as a gender-neutral pronoun, hahahahaha. But of course that has negative connotations. We sometimes use it jokingly if we cannot discern the gender of a person (not with people who actually have trouble with that, don't worry we are not such assholes).

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

sirdanilot wrote:Using they in a singular way is stupid, so I don't use it.
Hey asshole, as stated before, us native English speakers have been using singular they for hundreds of years. And on top of that, "he/she" is clunky.

We use "you" for both singular and plural and get by just fine, so there really isn't any problem with using "they" similarly.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Even though singular "they" (to which I'm trying to get accustomed and use it myself) is perfectly acceptable and recommendable as a gender neutral pronoun, there are plenty of authors/bloggers that use "ze" and "zir" as gender neutral pronouns instead of "they" and "their". I find it pretentious bullshit.

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Matrix wrote:
Hey asshole,
Hey darling
We use "you" for both singular and plural and get by just fine, so there really isn't any problem with using "they" similarly.
Then why have many dialects formed a second person plural pronoun such as 'y'all' ?

If you want a gender-neutral pronoun, use 'it'.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:If you want a gender-neutral pronoun, use 'it'.
Really sirdani, you don't get to tell what native English speakers should or should not do with regards to correct English grammar. Really. *Really*.

JAL

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

You can not tell native speakers of a language to use or not use words in a certain way just because their usage doesn't correspond to that of your native language.

/e: Yeah, what jal said.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

"It" is inanimate. It's an insult to refer to someone as an inanimate object, you know. Now go shove your backwards prescriptivist bullshit back up your ass.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Matrix wrote:Now go shove your backwards prescriptivist bullshit back up your ass.
Although I really understand the sentiment, swearing at Sir D. has been proven to be ineffective.

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Language isn't as make-able as people seem to make it. English doesn't have a gender-neutral pronoun that is not inanimate and there are historical reasons for that. Shoving stuff like 'they is now a gender neutral singular pronoun' down peoples throats doesn't work.

Now am I saying that a gender neutral pronoun can or should never exist? Of course not. But an evoluton of such a category needs to go at a natural pace and it probably requires the presence of a 'gender neutral gender' for decades, and not only a marginal presence but a very prominent presence in the general population, including the - on this forum so negatively-view - lower classes and the rural population. There are cultures where there are three or more categories of 'gender' or 'gender' s more fluid anyway and then yes you can have pronouns that refer to these persons. I am not sure of an actually attested example but it'll surely be there.

And I think Swedish is much more prone for such a category to come into being than English, as the swedish population is much more 'progressive' than the English population. Swedes are also kings/queens (what's the gender neutral form of that hey) at being overly politically correct.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:I do not believe that English doesn't have has a gender-neutral pronoun that is not inanimate and there are historical reasons for that because I've never heard of it and I always assume that the limits of my knowledge equals the limits of reality. Shoving stuff like 'they is now a gender neutral singular pronoun' down peoples my non-native speaking throats doesn't work go well with me so I throw a fit.
There, fixed it for you. That said, you should really use Google more. Here's some links to catch up on: 1, 2, 3. See also here for a case of singular they when the gender is known (which may be a novel development).

JAL

L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Post by L'alphabētarium »

sirdanilot wrote:Swedes are also kings/queens (what's the gender neutral form of that hey)
Monarch?
I've also come across "quing", which is a blend of "queen" and "king", but I'm sure it's a joke. Or I hope it is.
Matrix wrote:"It" is inanimate. It's an insult to refer to someone as an inanimate object, you know.
True. Nevertheless it's been used excessively when referring to lots of animate beings. Like animals.
Or even human babies sometimes. Especially when they're newborn and pretty hard to recognise their gender so you just go with "it" and risk their parents' angry glance at you!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

sirdanilot wrote:Using they in a singular way is stupid, so I don't use it.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Matrix wrote:We use "you" for both singular and plural and get by just fine, so there really isn't any problem with using "they" similarly.
Not agreeing with sirdanilot here ("they" is absolutely frequently used grammatically as a singular third-person pronoun, and I don't understand how anybody interested in linguistics could fail to realize this), but just want to point out that "you" as a plural second-person pronoun is vanishingly rare in my own speech--I almost exclusively use "you guys", and there's been multiple times I've hemmed and hawed for several minutes over whether or not I can use it in an email at work, because "you" as a plural feels so *wrong* to me, yet I don't want to come across as informal to somebody who doesn't speak my dialect!
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

alynnidalar wrote:
Matrix wrote:We use "you" for both singular and plural and get by just fine, so there really isn't any problem with using "they" similarly.
Not agreeing with sirdanilot here ("they" is absolutely frequently used grammatically as a singular third-person pronoun, and I don't understand how anybody interested in linguistics could fail to realize this), but just want to point out that "you" as a plural second-person pronoun is vanishingly rare in my own speech--I almost exclusively use "you guys", and there's been multiple times I've hemmed and hawed for several minutes over whether or not I can use it in an email at work, because "you" as a plural feels so *wrong* to me, yet I don't want to come across as informal to somebody who doesn't speak my dialect!
As someone who comes from the same dialectal region as you I can confirm that I too have an aversion towards 'you' in the plural. And I could never use 'you guys' in a formal email.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Using "you" in the singular in the subject position can be a little ambiguous, so I might avoid it in many cases, but there's no ambiguity in phrases like "some of you" or "any of you" or "take out your lab notebooks". I only have an optional "you all" or "you guys", not a grammaticalized pronoun, so I don't know; are there people who consistently use "some of y'all" or "any of y'all"? "All of y'all"? I don't even know what a plural-marked 2nd person possessive pronoun would be... "all y'all's"? "youses"?
sirdanilot wrote:Language isn't as make-able as people seem to make it. English doesn't have a gender-neutral pronoun that is not inanimate and there are historical reasons for that. Shoving stuff like 'they is now a gender neutral singular pronoun' down peoples throats doesn't work.

Now am I saying that a gender neutral pronoun can or should never exist? Of course not. But an evoluton of such a category needs to go at a natural pace and it probably requires the presence of a 'gender neutral gender' for decades, and not only a marginal presence but a very prominent presence in the general population, including the - on this forum so negatively-view - lower classes and the rural population. There are cultures where there are three or more categories of 'gender' or 'gender' s more fluid anyway and then yes you can have pronouns that refer to these persons. I am not sure of an actually attested example but it'll surely be there.

And I think Swedish is much more prone for such a category to come into being than English, as the swedish population is much more 'progressive' than the English population. Swedes are also kings/queens (what's the gender neutral form of that hey) at being overly politically correct.
Way to not get the point. Using "they" in contexts where gender is unknown or irrelevant isn't a feature of some kind of progressive social elite-speak, it's something that even these lower-class and rural speakers will use. Calling this use of "they" stupid, like you did, is the elitist attitude, the kind of thing that a boss might give as a reason for rejecting the job application of someone who didn't get the prescriptivist position shoved into their heads at school. But of course, you know better than us what the social connotations of English pronoun use are, I'm sure... (Also, your use of the nonce-word "make-able" here completely undermines your point: it sounds stupid, but I still understood you. Similarly, it's not hard to understand the use of "they" as a singular pronoun, even when the concepts it's used for are extended a bit.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

even if singular 'they' wasn't marked as hell before, it is now. good job tumblr

2P plurality marking varies -- you can hear people say "y'all" and then switch to "you" once the plurality has been established, or say "all y'all" and switch to "y'all" [or maybe even "you"]. "y'all's" is the possessive form, but marking plurality is probably less common there, and people who would say "y'all" might say "your"

I *think* there might be a distinction between, like, "alright y'all, take out your notebooks" [each person has their own notebook] and "where's y'all's tractor?" [the tractor is collectively owned and for whatever reason can't be referred to with just the definite article; maybe there are two groups of people who each have a tractor]
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.