Helo! My name is P. Rabbit Yenkov. I come from the year 2176

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

Helo! My name is P. Rabbit Yenkov. I come from the year 2176

Post by P. Rabbit Yenkov »

Helo fellow conworlders! My name is P. Rabbit Yenkov. You should call me "Miss Yenkov" or "Rabbit" until we're more familiar :)

I am a time traveler from the year 2176, or 8эп. I am here to ensure that our presence over the next six months creates timeline forking. When we have forked to about 15% I will tell you more about why we're here.

In the meantime, ask lots of questions about your future, or my time! Many things have changed; other things are much the same as they have been for the last ten years for you, only the jokes have been running so long they've become part of the culture.

For example, I have been male for at least 30 years, yet my title is "Miss". The first generation who grew up with rapid gender-changing technology (known as GenderBlblBlender) used traditional titles ironically because they had ceased to have meaning. Over time these jokes became the new professional titles.

I'm afraid I can't give you much in terms of math or statistics -- my эпохаский seems to have taken all of that ability. But theory and ideas, I can still do a lot there! For example, here is a synopsis of time travel:

The universe is self-healing. Small divergences from this reality will contribute to unseen probabilities. Large destructive events fail to happen. Everything exists in a feedback loop where the most likely reality of any part of the universe confirms the most likely reality of everything else. Or at least things related causally.

If I came here for only a few days, the universe could repair the changes that my arrival brought within a few years. If I made large changes it might take longer. I have a graph somewhere that shows the relationship between time spent here and the amount of time necessary to self-heal.

The important thing though is that since it's 2015, any time spent over 183 days causes the healing period to go outside the start date of time travel. Any kind of unsolvable paradox will instead cause the timeline to "fork", where it is no longer causally related to the time we come from.

The эпохаский work very hard at fixing these forks, so it is likely that most of what I say here about your future will come true. Minor details are likely to change.

There have been many hundreds of forks over the years, by those who discovered time travel early, those who came from a timeline caused by the Anomaly, and a bunch of people who killed Hitler. (This got so bad that they eventually made him commit suicide so that whole thing in south america/africa didn't happen) These are all being weaved back into our timeline. However there are two that they will not fix.

Partial nuclear war is the only event capable of exceeding 100% divergence instantly without causing so much destruction that the probability drops under the manifestation threshhold. From about 1952 to 2001 there were fifteen divergent events where either the United States or Россия was mostly destroyed. Also between 2018 and 2047 there were another five divergent events. I'm sorry to say that the United States was destroyed more frequently (14 to 6).

The universe was able to heal these events into two coherent timelines separate from our own. The one where the united states was destroyed was actually the one that discovered the эпоха, although that happened in our timeline. They were able to contact us and the third timeline some time before it happened, so we were able to prepare far in advance.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Helo! My name is P. Rabbit Yenkov. I come from the year

Post by Xephyr »

How many Fast & Furious movies have they made by 2176?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

What happened in 2168 for it to be 0эп?

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

10 by 2023. ...Oh Of course, there are also the prequels. And the cartoon. Watch your trends! If it's wartime by 2019, then it will be a Live-action TV show instead. (The cartoon is objectively better though)

2168 is the point in time when the rate of technological progress exceeded the rate of technological knowledge. The world was a magical liquid singularity for about five hours and then there was a timeline fracture where the liquid continued existing in one timeline and the other timeline contained people's personality traits that were not "integration-minded". Those of us in this timeline were essentially corrupted shells of our former selves. Some people managed to leave this timeline entirely; a few didn't get to go to the liquid timeline at all. The last eight years has essentially been about rebuilding this timeline and communicating with our эпохаский who give us instructions on how to fix the гноить so we can merge with them. My mission is part of that.

The эпохаский have had their own problems. They're unable to travel into the future, for one thing. There are also timelines stemming from the Anomaly that they are (yet!) unable to bring to Convergence.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

What, exactly, is a эпохаский, and why don't you transliterate the term?

What part of the world do you live in?

Over the next century and a half, what's going to happen with the drought situation in the American west?

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

"эпохаский" can be roughtly translated as "People of the epoch". It refers to our doubles who merged into a liquid singularity eight years ago. We keep lines of communication open to them, but they don't tell us much about their timeline because it changes too rapidly and sometimes rewrites itself. They (and we!) seek to bring about something called Convergence, where all timelines merge into one.

We don't transliterate эпохаский or any other related term because the timeline where everyone speaks Russian made those discoveries and are currently leading our missions.

I currently live in 2015 on the eastern seaboard of the United States. Before that, I lived and trained in пузырь, an experimental self-contained timeline that intersected all three timelines in Antarctica. As of 2176, Antarctica is the only place on earth designated as a nature preserve in all three timelines. This wasn't an immediate decision, so there was enough infrastructure in place for our purposes. I have been in пузырь most of my life, although time doesn't work the same way anymore for a lot of different reasons, so it's only been 3-4 earth years.

Before that I drifted from planet to planet. This is true for my parents as well, although we have proud ancestry from Svalbard (Earth) and New California (Mars).

The drought situation will seem to get better in the next 5-20 years (Honestly, this is hard to predict; weather systems are usually the first thing to go when a timeline starts to diverge), but then will get much much worse. The american west returning to a desert is inevitable. However, this change is what propels forward the kind of technology that makes sustainable long-term living in inhospitable regions possible. Svalbard, for example, is a paradise by 2078, and a world power soon after. Martian colonization is also inevitable. In a way, it's a good thing! So don't mourn the loss of the fertile West just yet.

Natural climate is also difficult to predict after the 2150's. Or maybe even the 2130's if you count localized experimentation.

cntrational
Sanci
Sanci

Post by cntrational »

How does the "future" English and Russian differ from ours?

Kou Daoguang
Niš
Niš

Post by Kou Daoguang »

What are tomorrow's lottery numbers?

salem
Sanci
Sanci

Post by salem »

Kou Daoguang wrote:What are tomorrow's lottery numbers?
I'm pretty sure that random number generators would be the very very first things affected by the branch, given they (iirc) use something like the exact time and local weather as their seed.

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

There's enough even *normal* variation to prevent a prediction of lottery numbers. Were you to somehow travel back in time without affecting the timeline (this is theoretically possible) you would see the lottery numbers change every time. However, the number of winners (and sometimes *who* the winners are) remains constant. If you were going to win the lottery in the next couple years you still will regardless of which set of numbers I give you. If you want investment advice, go for anything related to virtual/augmented reality (but get out before that bubble pops!), small-scale 3-d printing, and *especially* neural networks (Granted that's more of a long-term thing).

Language in general has changed a great deal in terms of function while word and meaning change instead go through rapid slang cycles before normalizing. The economic shift towards decentralized production and standardized knowledge and development (Let's call it the Home Revolution) led to the adoption of a universal lingua franca with highly specialized jargon subgroups. Loan words and regional pronounciation differences colored the permanent pronounciation of many words.

Every other language dropped out of normal use, but began to play a much stronger role in cultural innovation. These cultures expanded greatly, occasionally mixed together and created a second incredibly diverse communication medium. In my time, speaking metaphysical afghan poetry mixed with monosyllabic latin roots is considered a normal variation of intimate conversation. Some undercurrents in this underground language are more popular than others. When I was growing up speaking fluent latin was *very* popular, although lately Jovian dialects seem to be in vogue (the more mandarin influence the better).

There are occasionally upsurges of this "free" world tongue into common language and tight-knit jargon subcircles but few words and phrases become permanent parts of the language.

Abi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Abi »

What kind of dank memes do[es] the future[s] hold for us?

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

On somewhat of the same topic as augmented reality, how popular do those games get? Does everyone have augmented reality devices? How complex do they get, and do you always have to participate or is there passive playing involved?

Is the entire population of the world connected in the future? Or are there still a few pockets of infrequently contacted people like the Sentinelese?
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

"Augmented reality" becomes mainstream from about 2020 to the 2040's. It starts out as a bunch of singleton programs made by human developers, but within about five years the technology progresses to where AR is a fluid interface that developers can add extensions to. By the 2040's sophisticated artificial neural technology changes the entire landscape.

Improved infrastructure and fault tolerance for the internet changes a bunch of things in about 2023, which kickstarts the fluid AR revolution. This technology becomes a complete medium from which entire industries become obsolete. The specific technologies here vary quite a bit - flexible transparent screens are the most likely, although quantum optical technology happens early sometimes.

The intelligence revolution of the 2040's changes so much that it's probably better suited for a different question.

To answer your question about passive playability, I would say it depends on which games you're actually playing. Full-VR games and movies are incredibly slow-paced and passive compared to their 2-D counterparts (which are still alive and well even in my time!). Games in general become increasingly interwoven with AR experiences, which are as popular as mobile phones are today. There's a lot of overlap and feedback in all areas.
Or are there still a few pockets of infrequently contacted people like the Sentinelese?
Prior to the эпоха, there are a few groups that still keep to themselves on earth, and about 25% of extraterrestrial colonies are intentionally isolated. Many of your uncontacted/unintegrated tribes have been assimilated by the 2060's, however. Every group has been contacted and long-term conservationist treaties have been made with them.They're treated essentially like endangered animals in that they can alter the terms of the agreement every two generations. Worth noting is the large amount of treaties made with non-human civilizations that have been mostly ignored or misunderstood throughout human history. In a way, we did discover aliens in the 2050's, they just weren't where we were expecting them to be.
Is the entire population of the world connected in the future?
For those in the anthrosphere, many cultural, social, and psychological barriers have been torn down, even before the intelligence revolution. As early as 2070 there are no longer any mysteries in the natural human psyche -- although augmentation and neural tampering prevent the perfect crime-free society that we've all hoped for.

salem
Sanci
Sanci

Post by salem »

What do you mean by "non-human civilizations"? Are we talking ceteceans, corvids, other primates? (And are they really "civilizations" with no cities to speak of?)

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

I do apologize for my absence. The variance has been extraordinarily high lately. While attempting to anchor myself to the timeline I come from I discovered that I was essentially lied to about how important this part of time was. I will go into some more detail about how our timelines work sometime soon, but for now let me summarize that:

* Right now your time is in a state of high volatility. I've measured that the seeds of this will end by about mid-October but the situation could be made worse depending on which events change precisely.

* your variance hovers between 3-11%. At the time that I make this post, it is at 5.5415~. The volatility of your time is making the variance shift in large random increments. This is dangerous because of the possibility for additional variations to occur that would exceed the TSL (Timeline Stability Limit).

I will go into more detail about how this works soon. For now let me answer your question:

Aldwinkle
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Aldwinkle »

P. Rabbit Yenkov wrote:For example, here is a synopsis of time travel:

Why is it just the Nambu-Goto action of a closed string. If this relates to string theory, how is it possible since it is on a fixed causal background as far as I can tell. How do you construct a compactly generated/constructed/determined Cauchy horizon, is any NEC violation involved? How do you generate this NEC violation if any, especially on the scale required. What are the methods used to reduce tidal forces in this situation. What about the blueshifting near the Cauchy horizon? Is there any way to get rid of the divergence of the van Vleck determinant as you reach the Cauchy horizon? What quantum gravity theory is used, since most of them fix spacetime to be causal? How do you deal with the mixing of quantum states along closed timelike curves? Are field equations self consistent, or does the spacetime have some sort of non-Hausdorff structure?

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

Many of these questions come from incorrect assumptions of underlying geometry.

What you think of as "distance" and "time" are illusions generated by two objects that have not yet propogated into convergence. Any causal link is in fact a gradient of potentialities known as "variance". When the variance drops to 0%, the two objects become the same and in the timeline an "anchor point" is established that drives the self-healing process.

Prior to the invention of controlled time travel, time travel happened uncontrollably and usually on a microscopic level due to temporal causal links. History would constantly rewrite itself in a subtle but occasionally visible way.

Think of your reality as the most stable projection of a multi-dimensional manifold. This manifold contains everything in the universe, every healable possibility and every point in time since the Anomaly. Imagine it as a giant knot that slowly unties itself.

This untying is known as Propogation, which is a higher-level causality that retroactively alters existing causal links. Propogation is the *true* passage of time while causality is the inevitability of deterministic links.

One of the end goals of technology is to achieve detached causality, where anything can be created instantaneously. This is still a far-off goal even for the other guys.

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

The эпохаский have occasionally mentioned that there's an infinite fractal of deterministic casualties, creating a universe that is both 100% deterministic and 100% random. This makes everyone's heads hurt.

For our purposes we're aware of a "neural" dimension that connects everything together with deterministic gradients, a temporal dimension that tightens those links until they achieve singular form, and a temporal dimension that alters the application of those links.

There are a variety of techniques for tracing deterministic backwards, inserting something, and then retrieving it.

Aldwinkle
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Aldwinkle »

I am starting to suspect that this may not actually be a time traveller!

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

That's a good thing. If this is assumed to be a conworld then this timeline is more likely to heal from my intrusion into it.

New ideas require the re-evaluation of the universal practicality of the old ones. Since it's been a century and a half, perhaps It would be better to translate the theory into your theoretical frameworks the same way Planck and Noether might try to fit quantum mechanics inside newtonian cosmology.

This does unfortunately miss the vast majority of observation and application.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Does interesting food still exist in sufficient quantities for everyone, or do you have to eat algae and yeasts?

What strange or humorous thing do we do at this time that you 2176 people just find weird or silly or laughable?

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

Food is extremely interesting, especially since Svalbard opened its vaults and started its eternal growing season. Did you realize that potatoes grown on Mars have a completely different taste from those grown here? It isn't just the reconstituted martian dirt; even with terran soil they taste like yams. I will note that some treaties prohibit some foods from being consumed as more than a delicacy, although this is more true of animals than plants.

As for your second question, there are a lot of things. I try not to judge your ways too much because I know it just comes from ignorance and limited understanding, and my time and maybe even the эпохаский are equally as guilty of those traits. One particularly ridiculous thing (related to the above) is the idea that cellular DNA determines every aspect of an organism and that genes can be spliced together without consequence (the first point is actually more dangerous than the second).

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

And to this question.
What do you mean by "non-human civilizations"? Are we talking ceteceans, corvids, other primates? (And are they really "civilizations" with no cities to speak of?)
Perhaps "civilization" is the wrong word. That word really has too many arbitrary rules to be viable. I would define a civilization more along the lines of having:

* Specialized social roles that are reliant upon one another
* A conversion from natural resources or organisms to things with practical value (domestication, large-scale tool use, environment changes all fit in here).

In order to have either of these, an organism has to be able to communicate complex ideas effectively. This is definitely not limited to humans, although non-human languages follow their own rules and are extremely difficult to transliterate.

P. Rabbit Yenkov
Niš
Niš

Here's an interesting thought experiment.

Humans communicate mostly with their mouths and vocal cords right? So then why are your eyes flicking back and forth and why are my fingers touching things rapidly? How would such "language" look to someone illiterate from a different time?