Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by sangi39 »

hwhatting wrote:
احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:Is /θ ð/ > /w/ possible (with or without intermediate steps)?
With enough intermediate steps, everything is possible.
/θ ð/ > /f v/ is attested, and you could take it from there.
I'd assume you could have [ð] > [ɣ] as in Gaelic as well, and then something like [ɣ] > ([ɰ]) > [w] (conditional in Old English > Modern English).

Does anyone know what actually happened in Faroese in relation to <ð>? I'm assuming that it's etymologically determined, and thus all instances of <ð> represent instances of [ð] in Old West Norse, but was this sound dropped, with glide insertion to break vowel hiatus occurring later, or did it become [j] ~ [w] ~ [v] ~ [0] as a kind of split. <g> seems to be used in the same way, so I wonder if there was a kind of merger between Old West Norse [ð] and [g] at some point, at least between vowels, with the resulting phone shifting to glides.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Directly would be implausible if the resultant phonology doesn't contain few phonemes. Indirectly via [ɣ] or [ɹ] for example, yes.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:Is /θ ð/ > /w/ possible (with or without intermediate steps)?
I guess. I once had /θ ð/ → /f w/ in one of my conlangs.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

I take it you mean unconditionally? At any rate, I don't see why not. [ð] can easily shift to [ɣ] or [ɰ] and thence to [w], especially since [ð], as a dental consonant, is often at least slightly velarized. It can also shift to [v] or [ʋ] and get to [w] that way. Really, any voiced fricative that isn't palatal(ized) or sibilant can go to [w] with little or no intermediary. [θ] to [w] is a little bit more unusual, but assuming you don't want it to happen by [θ] merging into [ð] first, you can still get it via, say, [f] with subsequent lenition to [w].
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Pogostick Man wrote:
Tropylium wrote:†rd
What does the † mean?
"Attested but only in an extinct variety" (in this case, Old Persian).

Which may seem sort of superfluous since we can call any prior stage of linguistic development technically "extinct", but it can be contrasted with "still attested in the same form from a different descendant".

(Of course, we could also get into further increasingly philosophical debate on if non-Persid Iranian languages that still have /rd/, say Balochi, would count…)
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Is there any way I could create /ʕ/ and /Cˤ/ from an SAE inventory?
næn:älʉː

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

r → ʕ
Cʕ → Cˤ
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Vr > V_?\ happened in Chemnitz German, and once you have pharyngealization it's not hard to push it around between vowels and consonants (see: Chechen vs. Ingush)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

One set of changes I had in one of my languages is:

ʁ > ʕ / _{a ɑ}
χ > ħ / _{a ɑ}

(After which the conditioning environment was obscured.)

Note that this can also happen unconditionally:

ʁ > ʕ
χ > ħ
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

/g/ became pharyngeal in one European language. I want to say it was Iberian in origin but the name escapes me right now.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Atrulfal
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Atrulfal »

Pogostick Man wrote:/g/ became pharyngeal in one European language. I want to say it was Iberian in origin but the name escapes me right now.
Galician ?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Pogostick Man wrote:/g/ became pharyngeal in one European language. I want to say it was Iberian in origin but the name escapes me right now.
You are likely thinking of Galician, where [ħ] can be an allophone of /g/ presumably intervocalically.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

jmcd wrote:
You are likely thinking of Galician, where [ħ] can be an allophone of /g/ presumably intervocalically.
Yar, the intervocal [ɣ] back and devoiced. An intermediate happen in Ukrainian, where in some words Russian, Polish, and Serbo-Croatian have /g/, Czech, Slovak, and Upper Sorbian have /ɦ/ or /h/, and Ukrainian has [ʕ].

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Do you think these two make sense?

ts > t'
q > k'

I know that the reverse has happened in some Semitic languages, but are there examples for this direction, in a language that previously doesn't have ejectives?
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

TinyMusic
Niš
Niš

Post by TinyMusic »

Is this attested? If not, is it possible?:
θ -> kʲ
ð -> gʲ

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

TinyMusic wrote:Is this attested? If not, is it possible?:
θ -> kʲ
ð -> gʲ
The way I see this happening is to fortite /θ ð/ to /t d/ and go from there, possibly after getting ideas from Hawaiian (which had t :> k).
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

WeepingElf wrote:Do you think these two make sense?

ts > t'
q > k'

I know that the reverse has happened in some Semitic languages, but are there examples for this direction, in a language that previously doesn't have ejectives?
The only way I know to gain ejectives for sure like that is the aspirate/plain/voiced>aspirate/ejective/voiced found in Eastern Armenian and Southern Bantu, in contact with Caucasian and Khoisan that also have aspirate/ejective/voiced sets. However, the Korean fortis series, the plain series in Javanese, and the plain series in Zaiwa/Atsi and Langsu/Maru (sister Burmish languages) have glottalization on the following vowel, so possibly via that. Either way I don't know how you'd get /q ts/ to yield /k' t'/, though, without mergers or other shifts involving /k' t'/ from /k t/.
TinyMusic wrote:Is this attested? If not, is it possible?:
θ -> kʲ
ð -> gʲ
I might be able to see it as θ ð > ç ʝ > kʲ gʲ but I'd expect other fricative fortitions too.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

WeepingElf wrote:Do you think these two make sense?

ts > t'
q > k'

Note that what happened in said Semitic languages is k' > kˁ > q and t' > tˁ > ʦ.

On which note, I have a language that has ejectives in which I plan to use the Aramaic/Arabic ejective-to-pharyngealized shift. However, said language already has /q q'/ and I don't want to merge historical /k'/ and /q/ (i.e., I want to change /q/ into something else first). One possibility, of course, is q > ʔ, but what are some other ways I can get rid of /q/ prior to the merger? I don't want q > k because I did that in a sister language. I've also considered q > χ > ħ, but I'd like to consider some other possibilities.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

q > X* > x
x > ç / _i**

----

*uvular
**optional

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Zaarin wrote: On which note, I have a language that has ejectives in which I plan to use the Aramaic/Arabic ejective-to-pharyngealized shift. However, said language already has /q q'/ and I don't want to merge historical /k'/ and /q/ (i.e., I want to change /q/ into something else first). One possibility, of course, is q > ʔ, but what are some other ways I can get rid of /q/ prior to the merger? I don't want q > k because I did that in a sister language. I've also considered q > χ > ħ, but I'd like to consider some other possibilities.
Well, there's /ʀ̥/, or you could just leave it at /χ/. I'd suggest /q͡χ/, but there are apparently no natural languages that contrast /q͡χ/ with /q/, IIRC.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

opipik wrote:q > X* > x
x > ç / _i**
The language already has χ x > ħ, like Phoenician. Like I said, I'm considering that option; none of the other languages in the family lenite /q/--even the one that has post-vocalic lenition of the other plosives--so it would be different.

EDIT: Don't some dialects of Arabic realize /q/ as [g]? Does anyone know the philology of that?

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Zaarin wrote:EDIT: Don't some dialects of Arabic realize /q/ as [g]? Does anyone know the philology of that?
It fills in for the missing /g/, since most dialects have /t k q/ and /b d/, a step towards leveling the system. Not sure if you could pull it off already having /g/. There's dialects that have the emphatic series as no aspiration and the voiceless series as lightly aspirated; off the top of my head I'm not sure how they relate to the dialects that have q>g but I imagine they overlap. I've also heard Classical Arabic actually had [ɢ], in which case a reflex of /g/ might just be fronting, but I'm not sure I buy that (afaik that's based on /q/ being classified by Classical Arabic grammarians along with /b d/ rather than /t k/, but a voiceless, unaspirated could have been thrown in with either).

By far the two most common changes are q>χ and q>ʔ. A "satemization" chain of q>k>tS happens too, I'm not sure how commonly but most of Mayan clearly has it, as less ambiguous, non-PIE example. ʡ happens occasionally rather than becoming a fricative (Northern Haida, and afaik that's what happened in Amis, and Somali's qʡ).

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

vokzhen wrote:
Zaarin wrote:EDIT: Don't some dialects of Arabic realize /q/ as [g]? Does anyone know the philology of that?
It fills in for the missing /g/, since most dialects have /t k q/ and /b d/, a step towards leveling the system. Not sure if you could pull it off already having /g/. There's dialects that have the emphatic series as no aspiration and the voiceless series as lightly aspirated; off the top of my head I'm not sure how they relate to the dialects that have q>g but I imagine they overlap. I've also heard Classical Arabic actually had [ɢ], in which case a reflex of /g/ might just be fronting, but I'm not sure I buy that (afaik that's based on /q/ being classified by Classical Arabic grammarians along with /b d/ rather than /t k/, but a voiceless, unaspirated could have been thrown in with either).

By far the two most common changes are q>χ and q>ʔ. A "satemization" chain of q>k>tS happens too, I'm not sure how commonly but most of Mayan clearly has it, as less ambiguous, non-PIE example. ʡ happens occasionally rather than becoming a fricative (Northern Haida, and afaik that's what happened in Amis, and Somali's qʡ).
Hmm, that does actually give me an idea: g > ɣ > ʕ (already paralleling the x > ħ), then q > g. I'll definitely add that to the list of possibilities at least.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Is *V *Vh > Ø V plausible? V can be any vowel, long or short.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Nannalu wrote:Is there any way I could create /ʕ/ and /Cˤ/ from an SAE inventory?
To add to the posts suggesting deriving them from rhotics, dorsals, and clusters thereof, I'd also like to note that dental consonants are often at least slightly pharyngealized naturally, especially [l]. (Hence "clear L" versus "dark L".) You can easily have a contrast between two types of coronal consonant turn into a pharyngealized/clear contrast, e.g. lamino-dental /ts dz s/ versus apico-alveolar /ts dz s/ turning into /tsˤ dzˤ sˤ/ versus /ts dz s/. And since I brought up clear and dark L, laterals are another good source of pharyngeal consonants or pharyngealization, e.g. [VlC] > [VlˤC] > your pick of [VʕC], [VˤC], or [VCˤ].

Addendum: Retracted vowels, a.k.a. open back vowels, are also typically somewhat pharyngealized to begin with, and so consonants or other vowels in their vicinity may become pharyngealized. You could have, say, [C] > [Cˤ] when the following vowel is one of [ɑ ɒ ʌ ɔ] and then do some vowel shifts to make the pharyngealization contrastive. You could also have diphthongs with an opening glide (e.g. non-rhotic German's diphthongs ending in non-syllabic [ɐ]) become pharyngealized vowels.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.