Words you've learned recently

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Words you've learned recently

Post by Jonlang »

KartuliLuc wrote:I learned mesnarde, the french word for a small room under the roof of a house.
Like an attic?
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Yes, an attic, and it's mansarde, not *mesnarde.
jmcd wrote:Other words I've learnt recently include:
karama : salary
mahamora : accessible (apparently also means 'to make easy' and 'to calm')
miakatra : to increase
I'm pretty sure I've seen both karama and miakatra before, probably from news articles or something.

Learned these words from my dad today:
എളിമ [jeˈɭima] 'humility'
നീരാളി [n̪iːˈɾaɭi] 'octopus'

And relearned these:
വേഴാമ്പൽ [ʋeːˈɻaːmbəl] 'hornbill'
hornbill (I find a reason for using this word so rarely I forgot it even in English!)
കുറ്റി [kʊtˈti] 'stump' (it has some other senses as well, but this is the one my dad and I both had trouble remembering today)

Thanks to my dad, I also learned this word:
bundobust, bandobast

Because he pointed out that that word exists in English when I asked him what this word I'm pretty sure I saw my grandfather use at least twice in his diary means:
ബന്ധവസ്സ് [ˈbən̪d̪ʱəʋəssɯ]
Last edited by Vijay on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

This isn't so much a word I've learnt, but a phrase in Welsh which I can't make head nor tail of...

Man a man y mwnci... which apparently means "Might as well... / May as well...". But it seems to be saying something about "...place of the monkey" and I have no idea how some Welsh speakers somewhere thought that was a good way to say it :?

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

dyolf wrote:This isn't so much a word I've learnt, but a phrase in Welsh which I can't make head nor tail of...

Man a man y mwnci... which apparently means "Might as well... / May as well...". But it seems to be saying something about "...place of the monkey" and I have no idea how some Welsh speakers somewhere thought that was a good way to say it :?
Why do English speakers saying "in for a penny", or "when the devil drives", or "needs must" (which makes sense semantically but is nonsense grammatically)?

On 'mansarde': it's easy to remember the word for a mansard in French, because it's just the English word for the same thing but with an -e on the end.
[although etymologically the english comes from the french]
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I learned "L'obscurantisme" in French which when I went to translate turned out to be "obscurantism" in English, so I learned an English and French word today.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Sglod
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sglod »

Mer svenska... :

torr : dry
blöt : wet
gaffel : fork
sked : spoon
omöjlig : impossible
lämna : leave
skada : damage
högljudd : loud
skottkärra : wheelbarrow

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

There's a song (lullaby?) that I've heard my dad sing to us before, but I didn't learn until now that it was a song my grandfather made up when my dad was just a baby. From the beginning of that, I learned the following words and information:

അറക്കുക [əˈrəkʊga] 'to saw' (I could tell what this meant because I already know the deverbal noun അറപ്പ് [əˈrəpɯ], although I misheard this part of the song at first and thought it meant something very different :P)
പടി [pəˈɖi] 'step'
പടിക്കൽ [pəˈɖikəl] 'in front of', because in Kerala, houses would often have steps in front of them because they were built at a slightly high elevation in order to avoid being submerged during a flood (although this trick didn't really work).
പാമരം [ˈpaːməɾəm] - the platform where you lay a log when sawing it into planks

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Salmoneus wrote:
dyolf wrote:This isn't so much a word I've learnt, but a phrase in Welsh which I can't make head nor tail of...

Why do English speakers saying "in for a penny", or "when the devil drives", or "needs must" (which makes sense semantically but is nonsense grammatically)?

On 'mansarde': it's easy to remember the word for a mansard in French, because it's just the English word for the same thing but with an -e on the end.
[although etymologically the english comes from the french]
I think the lack of monkeys in Wales is key to miscomprehension.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Is that a problem? White elephant, elephant in the room, whale of a tale, to parrot sth., head in the sand ostrich, 80 pound gorilla, the lion's share, straw that broke the camel's back, etc. are all named for animals not found in the British Isles.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Xephyr wrote:Is that a problem? White elephant, elephant in the room, whale of a tale, to parrot sth., head in the sand ostrich, 80 pound gorilla, the lion's share, straw that broke the camel's back, etc. are all named for animals not found in the British Isles.
It'd be a tough row to hoe if all your proverbial expressions had to feature hedgehogs.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Particularly as the hedgehog, as we know, cannot be buggered at all.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:Particularly as the hedgehog, as we know, cannot be buggered at all.
I, having had no exposure in my life to the quaint coming-of-age rituals of English holiday camps, did not actually know that.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

linguoboy wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:Particularly as the hedgehog, as we know, cannot be buggered at all.
I, having had no exposure in my life to the quaint coming-of-age rituals of English holiday camps, did not actually know that.
*level stare*
Pratchett.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

I like Pratchett but maybe don't his work well enoguh.. I thought it was a reference to Cameron's pig..

And yes, good point Xephyr.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

I have never heard this used, only seen it on quaint lists of phrases where it is usually given as man a man â'r mwnci (with the monkey or maybe and the monkey). The actual expression for might as well is man a man, also used in Wenglish. I think the and the monkey bit is just an extra meaningless addition for comic effect, probably occasionally used but definitely not the only form.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Yng wrote:

I have never heard this used, only seen it on quaint lists of phrases where it is usually given as man a man â'r mwnci (with the monkey or maybe and the monkey). The actual expression for might as well is man a man, also used in Wenglish. I think the and the monkey bit is just an extra meaningless addition for comic effect, probably occasionally used but definitely not the only form.
Yeah, I found this out from a Welsh speaker I work with. She said that she was aware of it but she's never used or heard anyone use it and that man a man is the usual phrase.

I must say it does annoy me a bit when the English pick out certain Welsh phrases in online lists to make us seem stupid. Like "popty ping", "pysgod wibbly wobbly", "man a man a mwnci"...

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Yeah, popty ping is another one of my pet peeves.

You often get these listed in selections of expressions for learners, too. I don't really understand, but eh.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

My pet peeve with Malayalam is probably when certain sentences are repeated as linguistic examples. "The kid pinched the elephant" is the classic one, but there's also "the kid sold the elephant to his (own) mom"(!).

Finally, after all these years, my parents told me just now what ഇമ്പോ ഇമ്പോ (sp?) [imˈboː jimˈboː] means. It's what some Malayalees say to call a dog over. I guess it's like how, say, Americans might clap their hands or whistle or something for the same purpose. Until now, I only knew this expression in the context of another expression "പട്ടി ഇമ്പോ ഇമ്പോ" [pəˈʈi jimˈboː jimˈboː]. This expression in term was something my dad would use in a context to jokingly show that he was certain something would happen with the formula "if [X doesn't happen], you can call me [pəˈʈi jimˈboː jimˈboː]."

പട്ടി [pəˈʈi] means 'dog', and I also learned from my dad that apparently, the point of this expression is to insult the addressee by suggesting that they're no better or higher in social status than a dog. I've heard at least one other similar expression in Malayalam literally meaning something like "even if a dog ends up in the middle of the sea, the only way it knows how to drink is by licking," with the implication that the addressee has no more sophistication than said dog.

I also learned these Hindi/Urdu words from this movie song from the 70s:
سنور संवर [ˈsə̃ʋəɾ](?) 'restraint, self-control, forbearance, continence'
گله (شکوه) गिला (शिकवा) [gɪˈlaː] ([ʃɪk(ə)ˈʋaː]) 'complaint, lamentation, reproach, blame, accusation, remonstrance'
بهلا भला [bʱəˈla] - something like 'good, welfare'
مجبور मजबूर [məd͡ʒ(ə)ˈbuːɾ] 'oppressed'
چور चूर [t͡ʃuːɾ] 'crushed'

There are two songs in Bengali and Malayalam with the same tune by the same composer, but I think both of those are about romantic love whereas the Hindi/Urdu one is about life as a street musician.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

In Spanish:

la chocarrería 'coarseness, vulgarity'; una chocarrería 'dirty joke'

And a whole bunch of words in Malayalam:

പകർച്ചവ്യാധി [pəgərt͡ʃəˈʋjaːd̪ʱi] 'infectious disease' (formal term)
സാംക്രമിക രോഗം [ˈsaːŋgrəmiga ˈɾoːgəm] 'infectious disease' (another formal term)
പടരുന്ന സോക്കേട് [pəɖəˈɾʊn̪n̪a soːˈkeːɖɯ] 'infectious disease' (informal term)
കൂർ [kuːr] 'loyalty'
സദസ്സ് [səˈd̪əssɯ] 'royal court'
പേരേട് [peːˈɾeːɖɯ] 'ledger'
പ്രവചനവരം [prəˈʋəd͡ʒɛnəʋəɾəm] 'ability to predict'
ഈർക്കിലി [ˈjiːrkili] 'palm-leaf spine'

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

So I've been learning a ton of words in Malayalam mainly due to my grandfather's diary and this epic poem I've been trying to memorize. I kept forgetting to submit it, so now it's turned into this monstrosity:
More: show
പ്രസക്ത [prəˈsəkt̪a] 'pertinent, relevant, connected, close to, interested, suitable, developed, blossomed'
നിർണ്ണയിക്കുക [n̪ɪrˈɳejkʲʊga] 'to ascertain, determine, decide'
ധരിക്കുക [d̪ʱəˈɾikʲʊga] 'to take, understand'
കർശനം [kərˈɕənəm] 'emaciation, harshness'
കർശനമായ [kərɕənəˈmaːja] 'harsh'
തുറമുഖം [t̪ɔˈrəmɔhəm] 'port, harbor, harborage'
ഉദ്യോഗസ്ഥൻ [ʊˈd̪joːgəst̪ʰɛn] 'officer, official'
ജീവനക്കാരൻ [ˈd͡ʒiːʋənakaːɾɛn] 'employee'
മരവിപ്പിക്കുക [məɾəʋiˈpikʲʊga] 'to freeze (incl. bank accounts, funds, or operations)'
ഉത്തരവ് [ʊt̪əˈɾəʋɯ] 'order, command, permission, yes, your honor'
അനുസരിക്കുക [ənuˈsəɾikʲʊga] 'to accept'
നിരസിക്കുക [n̪iˈɾəsikʲʊga] 'to refuse'
വ്യഗ്രത [ʋjəˈgrəd̪a] 'worry, perplexity, distress, zealous engagement in'
വാർദ്ധക്യം [ˈʋaːrd̪ʱəkjəm] 'old age'
(സമ)തുല്യത [t̪ʊlˈjəd̪a], [səˈməd̪ʊljəd̪a] 'parity' (and perhaps also 'composure'?)
ഇരുത്തം [jɪɾʊˈt̪əm] 'posture, steadiness, firmness, experience, maturity'
ബഹുമാന്യ [bɛhʊˈmaːnja] 'respected, honorable; honorable woman'
പ്രഹരം [prəˈhəɾəm] 'beating, thrashing, hitting'; also 'a period of three hours; archery, shooting with an arrow'
ചിര [t͡ʃiˈɾa] 'head, tip, end; shaving, scraping; everlasting, long-lasting'
ചിരം [t͡ʃiˈɾəm] 'long time'
തരമാകുക [t̪əɾəˈmaːgʊga] 'to be favorable or convenient, have opportunity or occasion'
തരമാക്കുക [t̪əɾəˈmaːkʊga] 'to arrange, obtain'(?)
ചരക്ക് [t͡ʃəˈɾəkɯ] 'goods, commodity, merchandise, textile goods, large cauldron'; also figuratively 'a voluptuous, attractive woman'
പരുക്കൻ [pəɾʊˈkɛn] 'rough, crude, not smooth, not gentle'
സാഹസികൻ [ˈsaːhəsɪgɛn] 'rash or adventurous man'
സമരം [səˈməɾəm] 'battle, conflict, agitation'
പ്രതീതി [prəˈd̪iːd̪i] 'appearance, impression, sense, insight, trust, happiness, respect, fame'
ഇഴയുക [jɪˈɻejʊga] 'to crawl, creep'
ഊഴം [ˈuːɻəm] 'turn, time, term'
ഭേദം [ˈbʱeːd̪əm] 'splitting, breaking, division, difference, disharmony, alleviation, comparatively the better one, tactics of splitting or alienating two friends (one of the four tactics)'
അട്ടഹാസം [əʈəˈhaːsəm] 'boisterous laughter' (although my grandfather seems to use it to mean simply 'shouting' in his war memoirs)
പതിക്കുക [pəˈd̪ikʲʊga] 'to fall, join, decline, be degraded, stamp, enter in the books of account, register, affix, stick [something]' (actually, I think I've heard this word in the sense of 'to stick' before).
പത്തേമാരി [pət̪eːˈmaːɾi] 'dhow'
മരവിപ്പ് [məˈɾəʋipɯ] 'benumbing state, stiffening'
നിരീക്ഷം/നിരീക്ഷണം [n̪ɪˈɾiːʈʃə(ɳə)m] 'observation, scrutiny, viewing'
സംവിധാനം [səmʋɪˈd̪ʱaːnəm] 'preparation, planning, composition, organizing, direction'
പട്ടാളച്ചിട്ട [pəˈʈaːɭət͡ʃiʈa] 'military discipline'
കുറുക്കുവഴി [kʊˈrʊkɯʋəɻi] 'shortcut'
സാവധാനം [saːʋəˈd̪ʱaːnəm] 'slowly, not in a hurry'
പാടേ [paːˈɖeː] 'completely'
പരിസരം [pəɾiˈsəɾəm] 'surroundings, environment, boundary, neighborhood, situation, position'
അതീവ [əˈd̪iːʋa] 'very much, exceedingly, excessive'
സംരക്ഷിക്കുക [səmˈɾəʈʃikʲʊga] 'to protect, save, look after'
കയ്യാല [kəjˈjaːla] 'mud wall, fence'
ഊടുവഴി [ˈuːɖɯʋəɻi] '(by)lane, shortcut'
വിശദ [ʋɪˈɕəd̪ə] 'clear' (basically)
താക്കീത് [t̪aːˈkiːd̪ɯ] 'injunction, order, warning'
മുഖേന [mʊˈkʰeːna] 'via'
അനവധി [əˈnəwd̪ʱi] 'several, many, plentiful, innumerable'
തുക [t̪ɔˈga] 'sum, amount, total'
കൌശലക്കാരൻ [kəwɕələˈkaːɾɛn] 'cunning or crafty man'
അനായാസം [ənaːˈjaːsəm] 'easily, effortlessly, without exertion'
ദാർഢ്യം [ˈd̪aːrɖʱjəm] 'rigidity, hardness, strength, sturdiness'
വേലി [ˈʋeːli] 'fence, enclosure, tide'
തിരിമറി [t̪iˈɾiməri] 'shenanigans'
മറുക് [məˈrʊgɯ] 'mole'
ചുറ്റിക [ˈt͡ʃʊttiga] 'iron hammer'
ഒറ്റയടിപ്പാത [ɔttejəɖiˈpaːd̪a] 'footpath'
ഭേദിക്കുക [ˈbʱeːd̪ɪkʲʊga] 'to be split, be divided, divide, differ, cause difference, quarrel'
പ്രാതസന്ധ്യ [ˈpraːd̪əsən̪d̪ʱja] 'twilight'
അരണ്ട [əˈɾəɳɖa] 'dim, terrified'
മറയ്ക്കുക [məˈrɛkʲʊga] 'to hide, conceal, cover up'
കാഴ്ച [ˈkaːɻt͡ʃa] 'sight'
കൃശഗാത്രൻ [krɯɕəˈgaːt̪rɛn] '(men with) thin bodies'
ക്രൂരൻ [ˈkruːɾɛn] 'cruel/terrible/hard-hearted man'
വേർതിരിയുക [ˈʋeːrt̪iɾijʊga] 'to separate, assort, choose, be separated'
പ്രഖ്യാപനം [prəˈkʰjaːbənəm] 'notification, proclamation, declaration'
ആധിപത്യം [ˈaːd̪ʱibət̪jəm] 'domination, supremacy, sovereignty, authority'
നിശ്ശേഷം [n̪ɪɕˈɕeːʃəm] 'whole, completely'
കുപ്പിണി [kʊˈpɪɳi] 'company of soldiers, section of an army'
വലയം [ʋəˈlejəm] 'net, encirclement'
വർദ്ധിക്കുക [ʋərˈd̪ʱɪkʲʊga] 'to grow, increase, multiply, prosper, become better'
യാചിക്കുക [ˈjaːd͡ʒɪkʲʊga] 'to beg, request, implore'
പലവുരു [pəˈləʋʊɾu] 'many times, often'
താത്ത്വികം [ˈt̪aːt̪ʋigəm] 'something based on principle or theory'
വ്യൂഹം [ˈʋjuːhəm] 'military array, division of an army, society, structure, system'
കാക്കുക [ˈkaːkʊga] 'to protect, save, watch over, wait for, guard, defend, expect'
വിധേയൻ [ʋiˈd̪ʱeːjɛn] 'dependant, obedient person, servant'
ക്ലേശം [ˈkɭeːɕəm] 'difficulty, grief, affliction, strain, distress'
ആശങ്ക [ˈaːɕəŋga] 'misgiving, apprehension, doubt, uncertainty'
പൂവരശ്‌ [ˈpuːʋəɾəɕɯ] 'Portia tree'
വിഭവം [ʋɪˈbʱəʋəm] 'wealth, riches, equipment, raw materials, resources, strength, prosperity, capital, assets'
സ്വത്ത് [ˈsʋət̪ɯ] 'wealth, possessions, one's own property'
പരന്ന [pəˈɾən̪n̪a] 'expansive, extended, spreading, extensive'
ഒതുങ്ങുക [ɔˈd̪ʊŋʊga] 'to shrink, withdraw out of humility, avoid crowds, end, yield, be reconciled, come to an agreement'
ആശ്രയിക്കുക [ˈaːɕrejɪkʲʊga] 'to depend, rely, seek support or help'
സന്ധാരണ(ണം) [sən̪ˈd̪ʱaːɾəɳə(m)] 'subsistence, maintenance, bearing, sufferance, protection, cessation'
സമൃദ്ധി [səˈmrɯd̪d̪ʱi] 'plentitude, abundance, sumptuousness'
ഇറക്കുമതി [jɛrəˈkɯməd̪i] 'import'
വിരളം [ʋɛˈɾəɭəm] 'rarely, seldom, scarcely, scantily'
കടത്തൽ [kəˈɖət̪əl] 'ferrying, driving out, expulsion, transportation'
ആഘാതം [aːˈgʱaːd̪əm] 'blow, stroke, wound, misfortune, killing'
യാതന [ˈjaːd̪ɛna] 'ordeal, agony, hellish torment'
ഉറവ് [ɔˈrəʋɯ] 'spring, well, affection, friendship, moisture'
വറ്റിക്കുക [ʋətˈtikʲʊga] 'to become dry, evaporate'
ദൈവഗത്യാ [d̪ejʋəgəˈt̪jaː] 'fortunately, by God's will'
കമ്പോളം [kəmˈboːɭəm] 'market, bazaar'
നടുക്കം [n̪əˈɖʊkəm] 'tremor, (unexpected mental) shock'
ഉതകുക [ɔˈd̪əgʊga] 'to be useful, be helpful, thrive'
ദർശനം [d̪ərˈɕɛnəm] 'view, divine sight, eye, mirror, philosophy'
താഴേക്കിടയിലുള്ള [t̪aːˈɻeːkɛɖejɪlɔɭɭa] 'lower-level'
കോൽ [koːl] 'staff, stick, arrow, measuring rod, scepter, staff symbolizing authority, stick used as clothesline, drumstick'
അഗ്രം [əˈgrəm] 'tip, end, front, point, top, best, peak'
പാട്ട [ˈpaːʈa] 'tin pot, lump of cowdung'
ചുമൽ [t͡ʃʊˈməl] 'shoulder, neck, back, part bearing a load'
സ്വായത്ത [ˈsʋaːjət̪a] 'self-acquired, dependent on oneself, in full possession'
ഉപാധി [ʊˈbaːd̪ʱi] 'condition, attribute or distinguishing property, peculiarity, way of working, limitation, modus operandi'
പറങ്കിമാവ് [pərəŋgiˈmaːʋɯ] 'cashew tree'
സങ്കേതം [səŋˈgeːd̪əm] 'refuge, asylum, gesture, symbol, rendezvous, terms of a pact'
ഒരുമ്പെടുക [ɔˈɾʊmbɛɖʊga] 'to start, prepare, dare, venture'
ഹതഭാഗ്യൻ [həd̪əˈbʱaːgjɛn] 'unfortunate man'
അറ [əˈra] 'room, chamber, bedroom, granary, cell'
ഞരങ്ങുക [ɲəˈɾəŋŋʊga] 'to groan, moan, grumble'
ശനിദശ [ɕɛniˈd̪əɕa] 'period of 19 years in a person's life when Saturn "is on the ascendant"(?), period of calamities and misfortunes'
പ്രതീകം [prəˈd̪iːgəm] 'symbol, reflection, image, limb, member, face'
സങ്കല്പം [səŋˈgəlpəm] 'imagination, guessing, meditation, expectation, desire, mind'
വിപുല [ʋɪˈbʊla] 'large, extensive, expansive, ample'
പതിയിരിക്കുക [pəˈd̪ijiɾikʲʊga] 'to lie in ambush/wait, lurk'
നിരുപദ്രവ [n̪ɪɾʊbəˈd̪rəʋa] 'harmless, gentle'
ഉടൽ [ɔˈɖəl] 'body'
ഉടലെടുക്കുക [ɔˈɖəlɛɖʊkʊga] 'to take shape, take form, be created'
ആട്ടുക [ˈaːʈʊga] 'to extract oil from oil seeds'
ഉരുക്ക് [uˈɾukɯ] 'steel, melting'
ഉരുക്കു വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ [uˈɾukɯ ʋɛˈɭɪt͡ʃɛɳɳa] 'coconut oil made from coconut milk (instead of from dried coconut)'
അദ്ധ്വാനം [əd̪ˈd̪ʱʋaːnəm] 'perseverance, great exertion, soundlessness'
നിവർത്തിക്കുക [n̪iˈʋərt̪ikʲʊga] 'make possible, return, abstain, refuse to cooperate'
കുഴമ്പ് [kɔˈɻəmbɯ] 'viscous fluid, ointment, medicated oil'
അമ്പരപ്പ് [əmˈbəɾəpɯ] 'bewilderment, confusion, perplexity'
കറിയുപ്പ് [kəˈrijʊpɯ] 'common salt'
ഉദ്യമിക്കുക [ʊˈd̪jəmɪkʲʊga] 'to attempt, endeavor, prepare, undertake, persevere, put in effort'
മുഷിയുക [mʊˈʃijʊga] 'to become soiled or dirty, be displeased, show ill-will, be offended'
നിർജ്ജീവ [n̪ɪrˈd͡ʒiːʋa] 'dead, lifeless, senseless, passive, inactive'
നിസ്സംഗൻ [n̪ɪsˈsəŋgɛn] 'unattached person, recluse, person with no worldly interests'
നിയോഗിക്കുക [n̪iˈjoːgikʊga] 'to engage, entrust, order'
കുറുകെ [kʊˈrʊge] 'across'
നടിക്കുക [n̪əˈɖikʲʊga] 'to act, pretend'
സമാന്തര [səˈmaːn̪d̪əɾə] 'parallel, similar'
മുതുക് [muˈd̪ugɯ] 'back'
പ്രഹരിക്കുക [prəˈhəɾikʲʊga] 'to hit, beat, strike, attack'
ബാലിശം [ˈbaːlɪɕəm] 'childishness, that which is childish'
ചുമത്തുക [t͡ʃɔˈmət̪ʊga] 'to impose upon, lay a charge on, entrust'
ഭാഗ്യവശാൽ [bʱaːgjəʋəˈɕaːl] 'fortunately, luckily'
വിളയുക [ʋɛˈɭejʊga] 'to mature, ripen, come into being, happen, [figuratively] become more arrogant or haughty'
ചാട്ട [ˈt͡ʃaːʈa] 'whip, lash'
വാറ് [ˈʋaːrɯ] 'strap, strip'
ഘടിപ്പിക്കുക [gʱəˈɖipikʲʊga] 'to join, attach'
പാരിതോഷികം [paːɾiˈd̪oːʃigəm] 'gift or present given in appreciation'
അന്ധാളിക്കുക [ən̪ˈd̪ʱaːɭikʲʊga] 'to get confused or bewildered'
പ്രതികരിക്കുക [prəd̪iˈgəɾikʲʊga] 'to react, respond'
കയ്യേറുക [kəjˈjeːrʊga] 'to trespass, assault, encroach'
സന്ധിക്കുക [sən̪ˈd̪ʱikʲʊga] 'to join, unite, meet, agree, compromise'
ഭരണം [bʱəˈɾəɳəm] 'protecting, bearing, governing, administration, nourishing'
ഗ്രാഹ്യം [ˈgraːhjəm] 'acceptability, knowledge, gift/present, that which is easily understandable'
കുടുങ്ങുക [kʊˈɖʊŋŋʊga] 'be ensnared or trapped, echo, be in trouble, make a rumbling sound'
വൈപരീത്യം [ʋəjbəˈɾiːt̪jəm] 'opposition, disharmony, unfavorable condition, hostility, bad luck'
മുറ [mɔˈra] 'order, rule, custom, vogue, turn of shift, cry, period of eight days'
രംഗം [ˈɾəŋgəm] 'stage, dais, platform, assembly, battlefield, color, tin, dance, amusement, entertainment'
അപ്രത്യക്ഷ [əprəˈt̪jəʈʃa] 'indirect, unseen, imperceptible'
നിർണ്ണായക [n̪ɪrˈɳaːjəgə] 'decisive'
പ്രസിദ്ധ [prəˈsɪd̪d̪ʱa] 'famous, renowned, adorned'
സംഘടന [səŋˈgʱəɖɛna] 'society, group, structure, constitutional formation of an association'
മിന്നലാക്രമണം [mɪnnəˈlaːkrəməɳəm] 'sudden or lightning attack, blitz'
ഉല്പാദിപ്പിക്കുകു [ʊlˈpaːd̪ipikʲʊga] 'to make, produce, procreate, manufacture'
പ്രാപിക്കുകു [ˈpraːbɪkʲʊga] 'to enter, reach, attain, obtain, fuck'
ഭരണകൂടം [bʱəɾəɳəˈguːɖəm] 'government (machinery)'
അംഗീകരിക്കുകു [əŋˈgiːgəɾikʲʊga] 'to approve, accept, admit, recognize, consent'
മേധാവി [meːˈd̪ʱaːʋi] 'learned man, scholar, chief or head (of an organization), boss, superior officer'
അനുബന്ധിക്കുകു [ənuˈbən̪d̪ʱikʲʊga] 'to join, connect, append, follow'
സമിതി [səˈmɪd̪i] 'meeting, war'
സഹകരിക്കുകു [səhəˈgəɾikʲʊga] 'to cooperate'
വക്താവ് [ʋəkˈt̪aːʋɯ] 'speaker'
യോഗം [ˈjoːgəm] 'meeting'
ദൗത്യം [ˈd̪awt̪jəm] 'function of a messenger, message, embassy, mission'
ക്രമീകരണം [krəˈmiːgəɾəɳəm] 'regularization, regulation, standardization, arrangement'
പ്രകടം [prəˈgəɖəm] 'clearly, visibly, manifestly'
ജംഗമ [d͡ʒəŋˈgəma] 'moving, movable, traveling, portable'
തികവ് [t̪ɛˈgəʋɯ] 'perfection, full satisfaction'
ഭാഗിനേയി [bʱaːgiˈneːji] 'sister's daughter'
വിയോഗം [ʋiˈjoːgəm] 'separation or departure (of friends or loved ones)
കമ്പിയില്ലാക്കമ്പി [kəmbijɪlˈlaːkəmbi] 'wireless telegraphy'
സമ്പർക്കം [səmˈbərkəm] 'company, contact, touch'
ചാരൻ [ˈt͡ʃaːɾɛn] 'spy, emissary'
രത്നച്ചുരുക്കം [ɾət̪ˈnət͡ʃʊɾʊkəm] 'brief summary, sum and substance, gist'
കുണ്ഠിതം [ˈkʊɳɖɪd̪əm] 'grief, frustration, sorrow'
ഉപജീവനം [ʊbəˈd͡ʒiːʋɛnəm] 'livelihood, subsistence, dependence for living(?)'
ആകുല [ˈaːgula] 'grief-stricken, worried, tired, full, dense'
മെച്ചം [mɛˈt͡ʃəm] 'excellence, superiority, pre-eminence'
വിനോദസഞ്ചാരം [ʋɪˈnoːd̪əsənd͡ʒaːɾəm] 'tourism'
പ്രതിവിധി [prəˈd̪iʋɪdʱi] 'remedy, antidote, penance, atonement'
ലേപനം [ˈleːbənəm] 'smearing, plastering, emulsion, ointment'
പരിശോധന [pəɾɪˈɕoːd̪ʱəna] 'inspection, scrutiny, testing, examination, correction'
ധരിപ്പിക്കുകു [d̪ʱəˈɾɪpɪkʲʊga] 'to dress [someone] up, make [someone] understand, inform'
ഉൽക്കടം [ʊlˈkəɖəm] 'anger, fluid from the temples of a rogue elephant (in rut), excessiveness, intoxication'
തിരസ്കരിക്കുകു [t̪ɪˈɾəskəɾikʲʊga] 'to reject, neglect, hide, defy'
മുന്നണി [ˈmʊnnəɳi] 'front row, vanguard'
സഖ്യകക്ഷികൾ [səˈkʰjəgəʈʃigəɭ] 'Allies'
ഉളവ് [ʊˈɭəʋɯ] 'origin, device, sound'
പരിഹാരം [pəɾiˈhaːɾəm] 'cure, remedy, solution, atonement, recompense, avoidance'
അധീനത [əˈd̪ʱiːnəd̪a] 'dependence, subservience, state of subjugation, state of being under the control of'
വിഭാവം [ʋɪˈbʱaːʋəm] 'state, state conducive to the origination of aesthetic sentiments'
തൃഷ്ണ [t̪rɯʃˈɳa] 'thirst, ardent desire, avarice'
വീര്യം [ˈʋiːɾjəm] 'valor, vigor, vitality, prowess, semen'
തുലോം [t̪ʊˈloːm] 'utterly, very much, most'
പ്രഭാഷണം [prəˈbʱaːʃəɳəm] 'speech, conversation, lecture, discourse, interpretation'
രാഷ്ട്രമീമാംസ [ˈɾaːʃʈrəmiːmaːmsa] 'politics, political science'
അമർഷം [əˈmərʃəm] 'resentment, anger, displeasure, impatience'
പരിചരണം [pəˈɾid͡ʒəɾəɳəm] 'going around, roaming about, service, looking after, attending on'
തങ്ങുക [ˈt̪əŋʊga] 'to float, stay, be caught or suspended while falling, get entangled or stuck'
കാടുകയറുക [ˈkaːɖɯgeːrʊga] 'to take refuge in the forest' or (idiomatically): 'to speak irreverently, go into unnecessary details, beat around the bush', but in the context I saw it in, 'to be overgrown with weeds'
സംഭവരഹിതം [səmˈbʱəʋəɾɛhɪd̪əm] 'uneventful'
വിനിമയം [ʋɪˈnɪməjəm] 'exchange, barter'
പ്രക്ഷേപണം [prəˈʈʃeːbəɳəm] '[noun] throw, shedding, broadcast'
ഭൂതോദയം [bʱuːˈd̪oːd̪ejəm] 'intuition, sudden enlightenment, an idea that appears suddenly to the mind'
വാദമുഖം [ˈʋaːd̪əmʊkʰəm] 'burden of argument, main point or beginning of argument'
അമ്മി [əmˈmi] 'grinding stone'
പരിതാപം [pəɾiˈd̪aːbəm] or പരിതാപ്തി [pəɾiˈd̪aːpt̪i] 'grief, remorse, repentence, inward heat, scorching thirst'
പരിതപ്ത [pəɾiˈd̪əpt̪a] 'grief-stricken, distressed, sorrowful, heated'
പ്രസ്ഥാനം [prəsˈt̪ʰaːnəm] 'plan, movement, journey'
ശങ്ക [ɕəŋˈga] 'doubt, vacillation, disbelief, fear, shyness, modesty'
പ്രകൃത [prəˈgrɯd̪a] 'accomplished, real(ized), mentioned, important'
പ്രതികൂല [prəd̪iˈguːla] 'unfavorable, hostile'
അനുകൂല [ənuˈguːla] 'favorable, agreeable, pleasing'
ശിക്ഷണം [ɕɪʈˈʃəɳəm] 'command, discipline, instruction, practice'
നിർബ്ബന്ധം [n̪ɪrˈbən̪d̪ʱəm] 'stubbornness'
നിസ്സംഗത [n̪ɪsˈsəŋgəd̪a] 'detached attitude, state of being unattached, dispassionate state'
വൈക്ലബ്യം [ʋəjˈkɭəbjəm] 'distress, affliction, despondence, fatigue'
അമ്പരക്കുകു [əmbəˈɾəkʊga] 'to be bewildered, perplexed, or confused'
മലർക്കുകു [məˈlərkʊga] 'to put something on its back, make something like on its back, roast corn'
ചൊരുക്ക് [t͡ʃɔˈɾʊkɯ] 'slight intoxication, giddiness, seasickness'
വീർപ്പുമുട്ട് [ˈʋiːrpɯmʊʈɯ] 'suffocation'
അന്തരീക്ഷം [ən̪d̪əˈɾiːʈʃəm] 'atmosphere, sky, space between sky and earth'
രമ്യ [ɾəˈmja] 'beautiful, charming, lovely'
ഹർമ്മ്യം [hərˈmjəm] 'palace, mansion, big building, hearth, fireplace'
മിനുസം [minuˈsəm] 'polish, glitter, smoothness'
പാശ്ചാത്യ [paːɕˈt͡ʃaːt̪ja] 'western, posterior, later, subsequent, last'
പൌരസ്ത്യ [pəwˈɾəst̪ja] 'eastern, oriental, prior, first'
പ്രഭുത്വം [prəˈbʱʊt̪ʋəm] 'ownership, being a master, lordliness, wealth, power, majesty'
മസ്തിഷ്കപ്രക്ഷാളനം [məst̪ɪʃkəprəˈʈʃaːɭɛnəm] 'brainwashing'
ചുരുക്കം [t͡ʃuˈɾukəm] 'scarcity, brevity, summary'
വിദ്വാൻ [ʋɪˈd̪ʋaːn] 'wise man, learned man, scholar'
ബഹുമതി [bɛˈhʊməd̪i] 'honor, position, recognition, title'
നിയമിക്കുക്ക [n̪iˈjəmikʲʊga] 'to appoint, engage, entrust'
അല്പൻ [əlˈpɛn] 'mean guy(?), petty guy'
നിലപാട് [n̪ɪləˈbaːɖɯ] 'stance, standpoint, position, attitude, standing'
വിരോധാഭാസം [ʋɪɾoːˈd̪ʱaːbʱaːsəm] 'irony'
ഡംഭ് [ˈɖəmbʱɯ] 'arrogance, vanity, pride, self-conceit'
അരോചകം [əˈɾoːd͡ʒəgəm] 'distasteful, disgusting, not to the liking of, unpalatable'
പരിതഃസ്ഥിതി [pəˈɾɪd̪əst̪ʰɪd̪i] 'circumstance, situation, surroundings, environment'
പ്രവർത്തകൻ [prəˈʋərt̪əgɛn] 'worker, performer, doer, operator, one who encourages'
സംഭീതി [səmˈbʱiːd̪i] 'phobia, fear'
പരിശീലിക്കുക [pəɾiˈɕiːlikʲʊga] 'to practice, go through training, study'
ചാരവൃത്തി [ˈt͡ʃaːɾəʋrɯt̪i] 'espionage, spying, secret activity, spywork'
അനുമാനിക [ənuˈmaːniga] 'deductive, based on inference'
ഉറയ്ക്കുക [ɔˈrɛkʲʊga] 'to confirm, fix, be convinced, solidify, harden'
ഇടനിലക്കാരൻ [jɪɖən̪ɪləˈkaːɾɛn] 'middleman, broker'
ഉന്നയിക്കുക [ʊnˈnejikʲʊga] 'to raise (an issue, etc.), advance, introduce, bring forward'
ഉദ്യമിക്കുക [ʊˈd̪jəmɪkʲʊga] 'to attempt, endeavor, prepare, undertake, persevere, put in effort'
ഉലാത്തുക [ʊˈlaːt̪ʊga] 'walk about leisurely, lounge'
വിലക്കുക [ʋɛˈləkʊga] 'to forbid, prohibit, ostracize'
ജാഗ്രത [ˈd͡ʒaːgrəd̪a] 'carefulness, interest, enthusiasm, vigilance, attentiveness, caution'
വിശദ [ʋɪˈɕəd̪a] 'distinct, clear, vivid, graphic, stainless, calm'
ആത്മാർത്ഥം [aːt̪ˈmaːrt̪ʰəm] 'for one's own sake, deliberately, sincerely'
പ്രകടിപ്പിക്കുക [prəˈgəɖipikʲuga] 'to demonstrate, display, manifest, publish, express'
യോജിക്കുക [ˈjoːd͡ʒikʲuga] 'to join, unite, agree with, become suitable, mix with'
കലവറ [kaˈlaʋara] 'pantry, concealment, reservation'
വിശാല [ʋiˈɕaːla] 'wide, vast, expansive, broad, spacious'
അതിർത്തി [əˈd̪ɪrt̪i] 'border, boundary, limit, frontier'
വരമ്പ് [ʋəˈɾəmbɯ] 'small ridge in fields, boundary'
നാനാവർണ്ണ [n̪aːˈnaːʋərɳa] 'multicolored, of different cases/races'
പീടിക [ˈpiːɖiga] 'small shop'
തിണ്ണ [t̪ɪɳˈɳa] 'porch'
കൗപീനം [kawˈbiːnəm] 'thong'
അപകർഷതാബോധം [əbəgərʃəd̪aːˈboːd̪ʱəm] 'inferiority complex'
മിണ്ടാപ്രാണി [mɪɳˈɖaːpraːɳi] 'innocent (usually used for animals)'
വാഗ്മി [ˈʋaːgmi] 'speaker'
നിഗളം [n̪iˈgəɭəm] 'pride'
പച്ചരി [pəˈt͡ʃəɾi] 'long-grain rice'
നിലവാരം [n̪ɪləˈʋaːɾəm] 'condition, state, standard, (prevailing) rate'
പുലർത്തുക [puˈlərt̪uga] 'to protect, cause, increase, support, maintain'
പ്രശാന്ത [prəˈɕaːn̪d̪a] 'calm, quiet, composed'
പ്രൗഢ [ˈprawɖʱa] 'fully-grown, full-blown, tough, married; married woman, fully grown woman, bold and proud woman'
പ്രഖ്യാത [prəˈkʰjaːd̪a] 'famous, renowned, (generally) accepted'
മോഹന [ˈmoːhɛna] 'tempting, enticing, highly attractive, infatuating, alluring'
ലളിത [ləˈɭɪd̪a] 'desirable, handsome, soft, tender, simple, gentle, devoid of pomp'
വിഭൂഷിത [ʋiˈbʱuːʃid̪a] 'decorated, adorned, embellished'
ശോഭിക്കുക [ˈɕoːbʱikʲuga] 'to shine, shed light or charm, become brilliant'
സൌധം [ˈsawd̪ʱəm] 'large, storied building plastered over; silver'
പ്രവിശ്യ [prəˈʋiɕja] 'province, state (in a country), (specific) territory'
പരവതാനി [pəɾəʋəˈd̪aːni] 'carpet'
കിട [kɛˈɖa] 'equality, opposition, rivalry'
അതിലംഘിക്കുക [əd̪iˈləŋgʱikʲuga] 'to trespass, cross the limit, surpass'
വിശ്വം [ʋiˈɕʋəm] 'universe, world'
അംഗന [əŋˈgɛna] '(beautiful) woman'
ആവിർഭാവം [aːʋɪrˈbʱaːʋəm] 'coming into existence, origin, manifestation, appearance, presence'
അന്തരീക്ഷം [ən̪d̪əˈɾiːʈʃəm] 'atmosphere, sky, space between sky and earth'
പരിമിതം [pəˈɾimɪd̪əm] 'that which is limited or measured, limited amount'
സൂചിപ്പിക്കുക [ˈsuːd͡ʒipikʲʊga] 'to hint at, indicate, show by gestures'
പടലം [pəˈɖɛləm] 'group, row, canto or chapter, an eye disease'
ഹന്ത! [hən̪ˈd̪a] 'alas! what a pity!'
ശ്രേയസ്സ് [ˈɕreːjəssɯ] 'prosperity, betterment, fame, virtue, auspicious result'
സ്ഫുരിക്കുക [spʰuˈɾikʲuga] 'to glitter, throb, have a sudden idea, flash through the mind'
പ്രസന്നത [prəˈsənnəd̪a] 'pleasant attitude, joy, brightness'
സന്താപം [sən̪ˈd̪aːbəm] 'sorrow, grief, affliction, heat'
പ്രസാദിക്കുക [prəˈsaːd̪ikʲuga] 'to be pleased, be joyful'
കുലീനത [kuˈliːnəd̪a] 'nobility, aristocratic nature'
അത്യന്തം [əˈt̪jən̪d̪əm] 'very (much), extremely, fully'
ഇഹ [jiˈha] 'here, now'
അസദൃശ [əˈsəd̪rɯɕa] 'unequal, dissimilar, improper'
ആകാരം [aːˈgaːɾəm] 'shape, form, figure, body, facial expression, features'
ആകൃതി [ˈaːgrɯd̪i] 'shape, form, figure'
ഏവം [ˈjeːʋəm] 'thus, in this manner'
പടുക്കുക [pəˈɖʊkʊga] 'to lie, spread, build'
നിദാനം [n̪ɪˈd̪aːnəm] 'prime cause, diagnosis, end'
പുരോഗതി [puˈɾoːgəd̪i] 'progress, improvement'
മാളിക [ˈmaːɭɪga] 'building with more than one story, mansion of aristocrats or rich people'
മുഴച്ചുനില്കുന്ന [mɔˈɻət͡ʃɯn̪ikʲʊn̪n̪a] 'protruding, bulging out; (idiomatically) appearing to be an artificial joint, unnatural, superfluous, conspicuous'
മറികടക്കുക [məˈrigəɖəkʊga] 'to pass over, cross over, tide over, skip over, ignore, omit'
വിദഗ്ദ്ധ [ʋɪˈd̪əg̚d̪ʱa] 'skilled, clever, proficient, having expert knowledge, deceitful, cunning, indigestible, not well-cooked; skilled woman'
നിഗമനം [n̪iˈgəmənəm] 'conclusion, inference, deduction, word of a Veda'
മനോധർമ്മം [məˈnoːd̪ʱərməm] 'imaginative power, capacity to deduce things, performing in the right way at the right time (in stage performances)'
അപസ്വരം [əˈbəsʋəɾəm] 'wrong tune, discordant sound/note'
നാശകൻ [ˈn̪aːɕəgɛn] 'destroyer'
ഘ്ന [kʰna] 'killing, destroying'
ഏറുക [ˈjeːrʊga] 'to increase, rise, mount, go up'
നിമിത്തം [n̪iˈmit̪əm] 'reason, cause, indication, mark, aim, omen'
ദയിതൻ [d̪eˈjɪd̪ɛn] 'beloved man, husband'
കനിയുക [kəˈnijʊga] 'to have compassion on, be merciful' (in addition to 'to be ripe')
വിരുദ്ധൻ [ʋɪˈɾʊd̪d̪ʱɛn] 'objector, opposer, one who is against something'
അഴിഞ്ഞാടുക [əɻɪɲˈɲaːɖʊga] 'to behave wantonly/licentiously'
ക്രോധം [ˈkroːd̪ʱəm] 'anger, rage, fury, indignation'
പുലർത്തുക [puˈlərt̪ʊga] 'to protect, cause to increase, support, maintain'
അവിവേകം [əʋiˈʋeːgəm] 'indiscretion, rash action, thoughtlessness'
കലക്കുക [kəˈləkʊga] 'to mix (with liquids), cause confusion, destroy; [slang] perform extremely well, excel'
കലുഷം [kəˈlʊʃəm] 'muddiness, sin, impurity'
കുശല [kuˈɕəla] 'skillful, learned, fortunate, efficient'
ശിങ്കിടി [ɕiŋˈgiɖi] 'background assistant singer, background singing, helper, supporter; [figuratively] yes-man'
ശങ്കിടി [ɕəŋˈgiɖi] 'ibid.'
ധ്യാനം [ˈd̪ʱjaːnəm] 'meditation, contemplation with the mind fixed on an object'
കല്പിക്കുക [kəlˈpikʲuga] 'to imagine, think, command, order'
പ്രചോദനം [prəˈd͡ʒoːd̪ɛnəm] 'inspiration, encouragement, entrustment'
യാദൃച്ഛികം [ˈjaːd̪rɯt̚t͡ʃʰigəm] 'accident, coincidence'
പ്രതിബന്ധം [prəd̪iˈbən̪d̪ʱəm] 'obstacle, hindrance'
ഹിതം [hɪˈd̪əm] 'what is desired, pleased, proper, apt, or auspicious'
തടസ്സം [t̪əˈɖəssəm] 'obstruction, objection, obstacle'
അന്തിമം [ən̪ˈd̪ɪməm] 'the end, the last; last, final'
കല്യാ [kəlˈjaː] 'noble lady, skilled lady, good wishes'
രാഹിത്യം [ˈɾaːhɪt̪jəm] 'absence, lack, state of being devoid of'
സ്ഥാപനം(നാം) [ˈst̪ʰaːbɛnəm] or [st̪ʰaːbɛˈnaːm] 'fixing, establishing, establishment, institution, prologue of a drama'
കൊള്ളയടിക്കുക [kɔɭˈɭejəɖikʲʊga] 'to plunder, rob'
സാമഗ്രി [ˈsaːməgri] 'implements, tools, instruments, utensils, equipment'
മേനി [ˈmeːni] 'quality'
വ്യാപാരി [ʋjaːˈbaːɾi] 'trader, merchant, dealer, businessman'
സമ്പാദിക്കുക [səmˈbaːd̪ikʲʊga] 'to earn, make money, save money'
സാമാന്യേന [saːˈmaːnjeːna] 'commonly, generally'
വീക്ഷിക്കുക [ˈʋiːʈʃikʲuga] 'to see, look, watch, observe'
പ്രേരിപ്പിക്കുക [ˈpreːɾipikʲuga] 'to encourage, instigate, prompt, inspire'
വിപരീത [ʋɪbəˈɾiːd̪a] 'opposite, unfavorable, hostile, contrary'
ഉദയം [uˈd̪ejəm] 'rising, birth, origin, prosperity, dawn'
സാങ്കല്പിക [ˈsaːŋgəlpiga] 'imaginary'
വഹിക്കുക [ʋəˈhɪkʲʊga] 'to shoulder, hold, accomplish; [slang] cheat, deceive'
ലംഘിക്കുക [ləŋˈgʱikʲuga] 'to transgress, violate, exceed, defy, attack'
വശന്‍ [ʋəˈɕɛn] 'subject, subdued'
വസ്തുത [ʋəsˈt̪ʊd̪a] 'fact, reality, truth, matter'
നിയുക്തൻ [n̪iˈjʊkt̪ɛn] 'man appointed/nominated/authorized to do something'
അനൗപചാരിക [ənəwbəˈd͡ʒaːɾiga] 'informal, not according to rules or regulations'
ആത്മാർത്ഥത [aːt̪ˈmaːrt̪ʰəd̪a] 'sincerity, truthfulness, faithfulness, integrity'
പന്തലിക്കുക [pən̪ˈd̪əlɪkʲʊga] 'to grow spreading on all sides; [of a roof with an improper slope] to be flat'
പുളകം [puˈɭəgəm] 'thrill, rapturous shuddering, precious gem, cut surface of a gem'
ഉറ്റവൻ [ʊtˈtəʋɛn] 'he who is nearest and dearest, close male relative'
കൊടുമ്പിരി [kɔˈɖʊmbiɾi] 'wrong or tight twist, hazard, acute trouble'
നേരിയ [ˈn̪eːɾija] 'fine, delicate, thin, slender'
ദൃഷ്ടി [d̪rɯʃˈʈi] 'eye, sight, look, intelligence, knowledge, mental view, attention'
വിരുതൻ [ʋɪˈɾʊd̪ɛn] 'clever/cunning/skillful man'
റാത്തൽ [ˈraːt̪əl] 'pound (weight)'
കട്ടി [kəˈʈi] 'weight measure'
മൂന്നു റാത്തലുള്ള ഒരു കട്ടി [ˈmuːn̪n̪ɯ ˈraːt̪əlɔɭɭɭa ɔˈɾu kəˈʈi] = മൂന്നു റാത്തൽ (three pounds)
വീതം [ˈʋiːd̪əm] 'share, portion, dividend'
ഇടപാട് [jɪɖəˈbaːɖɯ] 'transaction, dealing, business'
കൊള്ള [kɔɭˈɭa] 'plunder, robbery'
വഷൾ [ʋəˈʃəɭ] 'something bad/spoiled/foul/depraved'
കുഴങ്ങുക [kɔˈɻəŋʊga] 'to be perplexed/confused/at a loss regarding what to do'
ഇതികർത്തവ്യതാമൂഢൻ [jɪd̪igərt̪əʋjəd̪aːˈmuːɖʱɛn] 'guy who's perplexed/confused/in a dilemma as to what to do'
ചാപല്യം [ˈt͡ʃaːbəljəm] or ചപലത [t͡ʃəˈbələd̪a] 'fickleness, (inconstancy, frailty, unsteadiness)?'
വ്യാകുലത [ˈʋjaːgʊləd̪a] 'grief, fear, worry, anxiety, distress'
വിധുര [ʋɪˈd̪ʱʊɾa] 'grief-stricken, distressed, wearied, lovelorn, tormented by pangs of separation'
നിരപ്പ് [n̪ɪˈɾəpɯ] 'evenness, agreement, peace, affection'
വേലിയേറ്റം [ʋeːliˈjeːttəm] 'high and low tides'
അനുഷ്ഠിക്കുക [əˈnuʃʈʰikʲʊga] 'to practice, perform, observe rites, etc.'
ഓതുക [ˈoːd̪ʊga] 'to recite the Vedas, chant mantras, read, learn'
തകര [t̪əˈgəɾa] 'Cassia tora'
പാളി [ˈpaːɭi] 'row (of plants)'
മേയുക [ˈmeːjʊga] 'to thatch the roof, graze cattle in the field(?)'
വിസ്താരം [ʋɪsˈt̪aːɾəm] 'spread, description, cross-examination, trial, diameter'
ആലംബമറ്റ് [ˈaːləmbəməttɯ] 'after lying down to sleep'
ആയാസം [aːˈjaːsəm] 'effort, labor, difficulty, fatigue'
ക്ലേശിക്കുക [ˈkɭeːɕikʲʊga] 'to have difficulty/grief/strain/distress (etc.)'
ഗഹ്‌വരി [gɛˈhʋəɾi] 'cave, earth'
തിട്ട [t̪ɪˈʈa] 'raised bank, sand-hill, platform'
പെരുകുക [pɛˈɾʊgʊga] 'to increase, multiply, become large, bloat'
വ്രതം [ʋrəˈd̪əm] 'oath, vow, penance, fasting'
ആവലാതി [aːʋəˈlaːd̪i] 'complaint, grievance, petition'
സമാശ്വസിക്കുക [səˈmaːɕʋəsɪkʲʊga] 'to believe, trust, console, comfort'
ചക്രവാളം [t͡ʃəkrəˈʋaːɭəm] 'horizon, sphere (of activities)'
കൃശാംഗി [krɯˈɕaːŋgi] 'slim woman'
പ്രതിപാദ്യം [prəd̪iˈbaːd̪jəm] 'topic discussed/narrated/described, topic that may be discussed'
വൈമനസ്യം [ˈʋajmənəsjəm] 'unwillingness, reluctance'
ഹൃദ്യം [hrɯˈd̪jəm] 'something hearty, charming, or pleasant'
സന്ദർശനം [sən̪ˈn̪ərɕɛnəm] 'visit, interview, meaning'
കെണി [kɛˈɳi] 'snare, trap, net, trick'
അഥ [əˈt̪ʰa] 'then, afterwards, if so'
അനന്തരം [əˈnən̪d̪əɾəm] 'then, afterwards, thereafter'
അവശം [əˈʋəɕəm] 'in a weak way, helplessly'
ഹസ്തതാഢനം [həst̪əˈd̪aːɖʱənəm] 'applause'
അപമാനം [əbəˈmaːnəm] 'insult'
നായകത്വം [ˈn̪aːjəgət̪ʋəm] 'leadership, control, state of being a husband'
പ്രതികാരം [prəd̪iˈgaːɾəm] 'revenge, retaliation, vendetta, remedy, retribution'
മർദ്ദനം [mərˈd̪ɛnəm] 'torture, harassment, oppression, crushing, persecution, inflicting heavy blows'
വിജൃംഭണം [ʋɪˈd͡ʒrɯmbʱəɳəm] 'increase, development, expansion, penile erection, yawning'
തീവ്രത [ˈt̪iːʋrəd̪a] 'severity, ardor, intensity'
അനുഗതി [ənuˈgəd̪i] 'following, accompaniment, imitation, agreement'
നാട്ടുക [ˈn̪aːʈʊga] 'to fix firmly, plant, set (e.g. a pole), establish'
സംരംഭം [səmˈɾəmbʱəm] 'commencement, beginning, enterprise, endeavor, anger'
ദൃഢ [d̪rɯˈɖʱa] 'hard, strong, rigid, sturdy, substantial'
അധീശൻ [əˈd̪ʱiːɕɛn] 'overlord, emperor'
അഭ്യസ്തവിദ്യൻ [əˈbʱjəst̪əʋɪd̪jɛn] 'learned or educated man'
ഉടനടി [ɔˈɖɛnəɖi] 'immediately'
കരസ്ഥമാക്കുക [kəɾəst̪ʰəˈmaːkʊga] 'to get hold of, possess'
കടക്കണ്ണ് [kəˈɖəkəɳɳɯ] 'corner of an eye'
കലരുക [kəˈləɾʊga] 'to join/mix/mingle with'
ഉൽക്കട [ulˈkəɖa] 'powerful, intense, strong'
ആതപം [ˈaːd̪əbəm] 'sunshine, heat'
ചണ്ഡ [t͡ʃəɳˈɖa] 'violent, fierce, awful, arrogant, hot, bitter'
തെല്ല് [t̪ɛlˈlɯ] 'a little, a bit'
നിഷ്കളങ്കം [n̪ɪʃˈkəɭəŋgəm] 'innocence, sincerity, flawlessness'
നിസ്തർക്കം [n̪ɪsˈt̪ərkəm] 'indisputably, undoubtedly, unquestionably'
ഏകാധിപത്യം [jeːˈgaːd̪ʱibət̪jəm] 'rule of one man, dictatorship, autocracy'
പരിമിതി [pəˈɾimid̪i] 'deficit, shortage, limitation, a measure or quantity'
പാരമ്പര്യം [ˈpaːɾəmbəɾjəm] 'tradition, geneology, heredity, inheritance'
പ്രസക്തി [prəˈsəkt̪i] 'pertinence, relevance, harmony in sense or meaning, relation'
വേർപാട് [ʋeːrˈpaːɖɯ] 'separation (of people who love each other), parting, isolation'
അർപ്പിക്കുക [ərˈpɪkʲʊga] 'to give, offer, dedicate, surrender'
താങ്ങുക [ˈt̪aːŋʊga] 'to carry, bear, support, knock against a wound or sore and cause pain'
മുഖം [muˈkʰəm] 'direction'
മുഴങ്ങുക [mʊˈɻəŋʊga] 'to echo, reverberate'
പ്രേരണ [ˈpreːɾəɳa] 'inspiration, encouragement, prompting, instigation'
നിവാസി [n̪iˈʋaːsi] 'dweller, resident'
അഭൂതപൂർവ്വം [əˈbʱuːd̪əbuːrʋəm] 'unprecedented'
ഗണ്യ [gəˈɳja] 'calculable, estimable, considerable, important, serious'
വ്യാപൃതൻ [ˈʋjaːbrɯd̪ɛn] 'one who is occupied or engaged in [something]'
ഉത്സാഹം [ʊlˈsaːhəm] 'effort, attempt, enthusiasm, ardor, zeal'
ഭൂഗർഭം [ˈbʱuːgərbʱəm] 'inner crust of the Earth'
ഇരമ്പൽ [jɪˈɾəmbəl] 'roar, loud sound'
ഏടാകൂടം [jeːˈɖaːguːɖəm] 'difficulty, trouble, precarious situation, thorny problem, catch-22'
ആത്മാഹുതി [aːt̪ˈmaːhud̪i] 'self-immolation'
കോളിളക്കം [ˈkoːɭɛɭəkəm] 'shock wave(s)'
തത്ര [t̪əˈt̪ra] 'there, then, therein'
ഇയല് [jiˈjɛlɯ] 'condition, state, nature'
പാരാതെ [paːˈɾaːd̪e] 'readily, without hesitation, at once'
പിഞ്ഛം [pinˈt͡ʃʰəm] 'peacock feather, wing'
പിഞ്ഛിക [pinˈt͡ʃʰiga] 'peacock feather'
പ്രകമ്പനം [prəˈgəmbɛnəm] 'shaking, tremor, violent trembling, vibration, tempest'
ബർഹം [bərˈhəm] 'peacock feather, feather, leaf, bud'
പ്രചരിക്കുക [prəˈd͡ʒəɾikʲuga] 'to spread, circulate, come into vogue'
വക [ʋəˈga] 'wealth, property, means, relation, mode, manner, sort, item'
മുഷ്ക്, മുഷ്ക്ക് [muʃˈkɯ], മുഷ്‌ക്കരത്വം [muʃˈkəɾət̪ʋəm] 'arrogance, haughtiness, tyranny'
പാരം [ˈpaːɾəm] 'extremely, very, most'
സഞ്ചയം [sənˈd͡ʒejəm] 'group, collection, heap, quantity'
വൈഷമ്യം [ʋəjˈʃəmjəm] 'difficulty, trouble, danger, dilemma'
സ്വച്ഛന്ദ [sʋət̚ˈt͡ʃʰən̪d̪a] 'self-willed, uncontrolled, capricious, doing as one pleases'
സ്‌വൈരം [ˈsʋəjɾəm] 'untroubled, as one pleases, quietly, undisturbed'
ഏറ്റുക [ˈjeːtʊga] 'to raise, lift, tap (for toddy)'
കച്ഛം [kət̚ˈt͡ʃʰəm] 'water-logged field, marsh, bank (e.g. of a river)'
ചതുപ്പ് [t͡ʃəˈd̪ʊpɯ] 'bog, swamp, marsh, damp ground or soil'
തൊടുകുറി [t̪ɔˈɖɯgʊri] 'caste mark (with sandalwood paste, etc.) on the forehead, an ornament or decoration'
ഒതുങ്ങുക [ɔˈd̪ʊŋŋʊga] 'to shrink, withdraw showing humility, get away from bustle, end, yield, be reconciled, come to an agreement'
മന്ദീഭവിക്കുക [mən̪ˈd̪iːbʱəʋikʲuga] 'to slow down, reduce speed'
ലക്ക് [ləˈkɯ] 'aim, opportunity, consciousness, sense'
വടിവ് [ʋəˈɖiʋɯ] 'flow, form, beauty, evocativeness of handwriting'
വഞ്ചിക്കുക [ʋənˈd͡ʒikʲuga] 'to cheat, deceive, beguile, defraud'
കബളിപ്പിക്കുക [kəˈbəɭipikʲuga] 'to deceive, cheat'
അധിനിവേശം [əd̪ʱin̪iˈʋeːɕəm] 'colonization'
മൂർദ്ധന്യം [ˈmuːrd̪ʱənjəm] 'the highest or noblest point, zenith, climax, summit'
കാട്ടിക്കൂട്ടുക [ˈkaːʈikuːʈʊga] 'to do something carelessly or haphazardly'
ക്രൂരത [ˈkruːɾəd̪a] 'cruelty, ruthlessness, terror'
നിരാശ(ത) [n̪ɪˈɾaːɕa], [n̪ɪˈɾaːɕəd̪a] 'disappointment, despair, despondency, hopelessness'
സംബന്ധിച്ച് [səmˈbən̪d̪ʱit͡ʃɯ] 'about, concerning, with regard to'
മറവ് [məˈrəʋɯ] 'state of being hidden from view, cover, screen'
ഊറുക [ˈuːruga] 'to drip, fall drop by drop, seep into'
നാന്ദി [ˈn̪aːn̪n̪i] 'beginning, pleasure, satisfaction, prosperity, invocation at the beginning of a classical drama'
ബാഹ്യ [ˈbaːhja] 'external, outward, excepted, remaining, expelled, outcast'
പരക്കം പായുക [pəˈɾəkəm ˈpaːjʊga] 'to rush around'
അവിഭാജ്യ [əʋiˈbʱaːd͡ʒja] 'inseparable, indivisible'
ഘടകം [gʱəˈɖəgəm] 'factor, component, ingredient, conjunction'
നയം [n̪eˈjəm] 'diplomacy, strategy, tactic, justice, leading, policy'
അനുദിനം [əˈnud̪inəm] 'daily, every day, day by day'
നിവൃത്തി [n̪iˈʋrɯt̪i] 'redemption, abandonment, finishing, rest, solution, means, salvation'
താവളം [ˈt̪aːʋəɭəm] 'resting place, cart stand, camp, seat'
ഔപചാരിക [əwbəˈd͡ʒaːɾiga] 'formal, ceremonial, secondary, unimportant'
കടാക്ഷിക്കുക [kəˈɖaːʈʃikʲuga] 'to see' (used when the experiencer is a deity)
നിർദ്ദേശം [n̪ɪrˈd̪eːɕəm] 'suggestion, advice, direction, instruction, order, hint, proposal'
ഭാണ്ഡം [ˈbʱaːɳɖəm] 'knapsack, rucksack, bundle, box, vessel, ornament'
തണ്ട് [ˈt̪əɳɖɯ] 'stalk, stem, handle, palanquin, oar, pride, conceit, boasting, haughtiness, snobbery'
തരം [t̪ɛˈɾəm] 'opportunity, possibility, equality, class'
പാമരം [ˈpaːməɾəm] 'mast, ship's flagstaff'
പരിചൊട് [pəɾiˈd͡ʒɔɖɯ] 'well, properly'
കരേറുക [kəˈɾeːrʊga] 'to reach the shore, tide over difficulties, save oneself, prosper'
-ഒലാ -[oˈlaː], -ഒല്ലാ -[olˈlaː] 'shouldn't'
കൃത്രിമം [krɯˈt̪rɪməm] 'that which is artificial, not natural or genuine'
ഇങ്കിതം [jiŋˈgid̪əm] 'desire'
വിതരണം [ʋɪˈd̪əɾɛɳəm] 'distribution, tiding over'
മല്ലിടുക [ˈməllɪɖʊga] 'to fight'
റദ്ദാക്കുക [rəd̪ˈd̪aːkʊga] 'to cancel'
ദ്വന്ദയുദ്ധം [ˈd̪ʋən̪d̪əjʊd̪d̪ʱəm] 'duel'
താരതമ്യ പെടുത്തുക [ˈt̪aːɾəd̪əmja pɛˈɖʊt̪ʊga] 'to compare'
കഴുകൻ [kəˈɻʊgɛn] 'vulture'
ചെമ്പരുന്ത് [t͡ʃɛmˈbɛɾʊn̪d̪ɯ] 'kite (bird)'
ഇടതിങ്ങുക [jɛɖəˈd̪iŋʲʊga] 'to be or grow dense or thick'
തർക്കം [t̪ərˈkəm] 'dispute, controversy, doubt, cause, surmise, logic'
അഭയം [əˈbʱəjəm] 'absence of fear, refuge, shelter'
മറവ് [məˈrəʋɯ] 'state of being hidden from view, cover, screen'
അറയ്ക്കുക [əˈrɛkʲʊga] 'to feel disgust, hesitate, vacillate'
സാമീപ്യം [saːˈmiːpjəm] 'nearness, proximity'
-ആയ്കിൽ -[aːjgɪl] 'if possible'
നിരീശ്വരവാദി [n̪ɪˈɾiːɕʋəɾəʋaːd̪i] 'atheist'
പരമാർത്ഥം [pəɾəˈmaːrt̪ʰəm] 'reality, fact, truth, the noblest'
പ്രാന്തപ്രദേശം [ˈpraːn̪d̪əprəd̪eːɕəm] 'outskirts, neighborhood'
ഉറപ്പ് [ɔˈrəpɯ] 'rigidity, strength, stability, hardness'
ശിരോമണി [ɕɪˈɾoːməɳi] 'expert'
സന്തിതി [sən̪ˈd̪id̪i] 'children, offspring'
വിവേചന [ʋɪˈʋeːd͡ʒəna] 'discrimination'
പര്യായം [pəˈɾjaːjəm] 'synonym'
നൃണം [n̪rɯˈɳəm] 'blood'
അനുമാനം [ənʊˈmaːnəm] 'guess, inference'
(ഒരുത്തരെ) വകവയ്ക്കുക ([ɔɾʊˈt̪əɾe]) [ʋəˈgəʋɛkʲʊga] 'to regard (someone)'
കർക്കശ [kərˈkəɕa] 'hard, firm, merciless, strict, harsh'
ഭേദ്യം [ˈbʱeːd̪jəm] 'torture'
ന്യായം [ˈnʲaːjəm] 'logic'
പ്രകട [prəˈgəɖa] 'manifest, shining, visible, clear'
പഴി [pəˈɻi] 'complaint'
ഏശുക [ˈjeːɕʊga] 'to apply (intransitive)'
ജീവനാഡി [d͡ʒiːʋəˈn̪aːɖi] 'pulse of life'
പാഴ് [ˈpaːɻɯ] 'useless thing'
ഗർവ്വ് [ˈgərʋɯ] 'arrogance'
കുറിയ [kuˈrija] 'small, short, dwarfish'
തടവുക [t̪əˈɖəʋʊga] 'to rub'
പ്രവണത [prəˈʋəɳəd̪a] 'tendency'
ചാതുര്യം [ˈt͡ʃaːd̪ʊɾjəm] 'style'
അനധികൃത [ənəˈd̪ʱigrɯd̪ə] 'unauthorized, unlawful'
മൃഷ്ടാന്നം [mrɯʃˈʈaːnnəm] 'cooked rice, sumptuous food/meal'
ചുട്ടു പഴുത്ത [t͡ʃʊˈʈɯ pəˈɻʊt̪a] 'flaming hot and sunbaked (sand?)'
ഓടുമേയുക [ˈoːɖɯ ˈmeːjʊga] 'to tile'
ത്രാണി [ˈt̪raːɳi] 'ability, capability, capacity, strength'
പൊലിമ [pɔˈlima] 'increase, prosperity, beauty, destruction'
രാമച്ചം [ˈɾaːmət͡ʃəm] 'vetiver'
വ്യവസായി [ʋjəʋəˈsaːji] 'industrialist, entrepreneur, one engaged in an industry'
മാതൃക [ˈmaːd̪rɯga] 'example, model, sample, specimen, ideal (thing)'
ഘട്ടം [gʱəˈʈəm] 'occasion'
തിരുത്തൽ [t̪ɪˈɾʊt̪əl] 'correction, rectification'
തക്കവണ്ണം [t̪əˈkəʋəɳɳəm] 'properly, suitably, aptly'
മൂകൻ [ˈmuːgɛn] '(male) mute'
കരുതൽ തടങ്കൽ [kəˈɾʊd̪əl t̪əˈɖəŋgəl] 'preventive detention'
മോചിക്കുക [ˈmoːd͡ʒikʲuga] 'to be liberated or freed, to get freedom'
പ്രത്യാഘാതം [prəˈt̪jaːgʱaːd̪əm] 'rebuff, setback, reaction, repercussion'
സന്ദർശനം [sən̪ˈn̪ərɕɛnəm] 'visit, interview, meeting'
ചെത്തുക [t͡ʃɛˈt̪ʊga] 'to clip, cut, pare'
കരസേന [kəɾəˈseːna] 'military'
അയവ് [əˈjəʋɯ] 'slackness, laxity; rumination'
വിശകലനം [ʋiɕəˈgələnəm] 'analysis
സൂക്ഷ്മാണു [suːʈʃˈmaːɳu] 'microbe'
അർഹത [ərˈhəd̪a] 'worthiness, qualification'
ദ്രാവകം [ˈd̪raːʋəgəm] 'liquid'
നിർദ്ദയ [n̪ɪrd̪ˈd̪əjə] 'ruthless, cruel, merciless'
വിവാദം [ʋiˈʋaːd̪əm] 'controversy, argument, dispute, polemic, shouting, order'
ജമുക്കാളം [d͡ʒəmuˈkaːɭəm] 'blanket, thick bedsheet(?), carpet'
എഴുത്തുപന [jɛˈɻʊt̪ɯbəna] 'type of palm tree whose leaves are traditionally used for writing' (literally 'letter palm tree')
ഓണംകേറാമൂല [oːɳəŋgeːˈraːmuːla] 'rustic hamlet, inaccessible and uncivilized place; remote corner of the world'
വെളിമ്പ്രദേശം [ʋeɭimbrəˈd̪eːɕəm] 'open expanse of land, wasteland'
അപൂർവ്വമായി [əbuːrʋəˈmaːj] 'on rare occasions'
ഉരിക്കുക [uˈɾikʲuga] 'to peel off, strip off, flay, skin, cast off'
ഉരയ്ക്കുക [ɔˈɾɛkʲʊga] 'to grind, rub'
കുറുക്കുക [kuˈrukuga] 'to boil and reduce to a thick, viscuous liquid; summarise; howl'
നദീതടം [n̪əˈd̪iːd̪əɖəm] 'river valley (basin)'
ചുരുങ്ങുക [t͡ʃuˈɾuŋʊga] 'to contract, shrink, shrivel'
കെട്ടുവള്ളം [kɛˈʈɯʋəɭɭəm] 'type of houseboat'
ചുക്കുക [t͡ʃʊˈkʊga] 'to shrink, get shriveled'
ചുളിയുക [t͡ʃuˈɭijuga] 'to wrinkle, shrivel, shrink'
തീർത്ത് [ˈt̪iːrt̪ɯ] 'finally, definitely, decisively'
In addition, my dad taught me the word കൊശി [kɔˈɕi], which he says means "something like 'Epicurean'" (his exact words were ഒരുമാതിരി "Epicurean" എന്ന് പറഞ്ഞതുപോലെ [ɔɾuˈmaːd̪iɾi jɛpiˈkʲuːrijɛn ɛn̪n̪ɯ pərəɲəd̪ɯˈboːle]). I also learned the English phrases "Portia tree," "vetiver," and "currency paper" and that the English equivalent for the freshwater fish that we call വാള [ˈʋaːɭa] in Malayalam is "largehead hairtail."
Last edited by Vijay on Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

വളയ്ക്കുക [ʋəˈɭɛkʲuga] 'to cause to bend, cheat, defraud'
പരിധി [pəˈɾid̪ʱi] 'limit, boundary, range, circumference, enclosure, horizon, covering, chariot wheel'
മാടം [ˈmaːɖəm] 'palace, cottage, low-caste person's hut, watchtower'
കമ്പിളി [kəmˈbɪɭi] 'woolen blanket' (I knew this meant a blanket but not specifically one made of wool)
കാലുറ [ˈkaːlura] 'pants, stockings'
അഭിഭാഷകൻ [əbʱiˈbʱaːʃəgɛn] 'advocate, lawyer'
വാഴ്ച [ˈʋaːɻt͡ʃa] 'living, rule, reign, existence, government'
പ്രദർശനം [prəˈd̪ərɕɛnəm] 'exhibition, display, prophecy, example'
സമർത്ഥിക്കുക [səˈmərt̪ʰikʲuga] 'to think, contend, justify support'
അവകാശം [əʋəˈgaːɕəm] 'claim, ownership, title, authority'
ഉഴലുക [uˈɻəluga] 'to wander, roam about, be troubled/perplexed/tired'
നിലനിർത്തുക [n̪ɪˈlən̪ɪrt̪ʊga] 'to perpetuate, establish'

I also learned that സമനില തെറ്റിക്കുക [səˈmə n̪ɪˈla t̪ɛtɪkʲʊga] means something like 'couldn't be more wrong'.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

How does the last phrase break down into words in a gloss?

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

din wrote:You can, but you can't just go around replacing ik by ikke.

It can be used for extra emphasis and contrast, but it may come across as childish.

A 'normal' context could be:
A: "Je ruimt ook nooit je papieren op!"
B: "Ikke?! Je moet eens naar je eigen buro kijken"
That's exactly the distinction between ick and icke in Berlinerisch.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

jmcd wrote:How does the last phrase break down into words in a gloss?
Dunno about words, but I can try to give you morphemes at least!

/sama-nila t̪ett-ikk-uka/
equal/similar-ground/level be.mistaken-CAUS-INF

(/sama/ is borrowed from Sanskrit, cf. same).

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

I know this is old, but the thread was revived and we're still on the same page.
Salmoneus wrote:

Why is "in for a penny" one of your examples? It's just the truncated form of "in for a penny, in for a pound", whose meaning follows fairly straightforwardly from the words used.