Ainu grammars

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ainu grammars

Post by Frislander »

Can anyone find any decent grammars of Ainu on the Internet. I've been searching a long time and the only one I seem to come up with is a very old one by John Batchelor from the turn of the 20th century, which is not the best, as you will understand. Can anyone find anything more up-to-date and usable?
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Ainu grammars

Post by Vijay »

There's this grammar in Russian, but I don't remember whether you speak Russian, and I have no idea how useful it actually is anyway.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

No I don't speak Russian, sorry.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Yeah, apparently, there's really very little online for Ainu! There are some lessons in Japanese from Radio Sapporo, though, with a translation into English on the site whose forum I migrated here from. :P Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be that much else.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There's a short grammatical sketch of Ainu in Shibatani's The Languages of Japan. (Not electronic, sorry, but your local university might have it.)

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

The Grammar Pile has a couple, though they're still a bit dated and none are in the form or with the density of a modern grammar, clocking in in the 100-page range rather than the 400-500+ with a lot of juicy details like a modern-format grammar will give you.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I tried a quick search on Google in Japanese, and most results seem to point to this book. The publisher's website lists it at 416 pages, and it looks like it's fairly in-depth. Unfortunately, it's very expensive and, of course, written in Japanese.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

vokzhen wrote:The Grammar Pile has a couple, though they're still a bit dated and none are in the form or with the density of a modern grammar, clocking in in the 100-page range rather than the 400-500+ with a lot of juicy details like a modern-format grammar will give you.
Shibatani 1990
Refsing 1986
Simeon 1968

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

Cedh wrote:
vokzhen wrote:The Grammar Pile has a couple, though they're still a bit dated and none are in the form or with the density of a modern grammar, clocking in in the 100-page range rather than the 400-500+ with a lot of juicy details like a modern-format grammar will give you.
Shibatani 1990
Refsing 1986
Simeon 1968
Yeah, actually, as far as I know[*], even knowing Japanese, I think those are still among the least dated and most linguistically meaty pieces you're going to find ;(

[*Not a serious student of Ainu, or even a mad fan, but I do try to keep an eye out for new publications on it.]
CONLANG Code: C:S/G v1.1 !lafh+>x cN:L:S:G a+ x:0 n4d:2d !B A--- E-- L--- N0 Id/s/v/c k- ia--@:+ p+ s+@ m-- o+ P--- S++ Neo-Khitanese

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Cedh wrote:
Shibatani 1990
Refsing 1986
Simeon 1968
Thank you very much.