A good English - Irish dictionary?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

A good English - Irish dictionary?

Post by Jonlang »

Could anyone recommend a good Irish - English / English - Irish dictionary? Something which could be described as the Y Geiriadur Mawr of Irish would be grand. I did a search and there seem to be rather a lot of them around and I don't want to waste my hard earned pennies.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: A good English - Irish dictionary?

Post by linguoboy »

The standard reference work for many years was de Bhaldraithe's, accessible online for free here: http://www.teanglann.ie/en/eid/. It was published in 1959, though, so it's rather out-of-date in many respect.

Foras na Gaeilge just published a new English-Irish dictionary. It's also available for online consultation at no charge: http://www.focloir.ie/en/.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Thanks. I like to have printed ones, just in case.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Bristel wrote:I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.
I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:I have Collin's Irish Dictionary, but it's "gem" size, very small text. No IPA or pronunciation keys upon a quick glance.
I only know of one Irish dictionary that includes pronunciations and they're misleading since the author was aiming for a "neutral standard" which simply doesn't exist.
Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Bristel wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Sad. I'd love to have a dictionary with accurate pronunciations, at least in one dialect.
If that dialect is West Cork then tá an t-ádh ort.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

linguoboy wrote:
Bristel wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
If that dialect is West Cork then tá an t-ádh ort.
That's great! Thanks!

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Online, teanglann also has recordings for many words, but annoyingly not inflected forms.

I've also discovered fuaimeanna.ie, which has both recordings and two different transcriptions for them, in three dialects, which is easier than puzzling out what people are saying from the sound alone. The downside is that it's not a dictionary, it's a phonology guide, so it has only a relatively small number of words - enough to show off different sounds and processes. Still, it is searchable both by word and by phoneme. The other downside is that sometimes it's hard to connect the transcription to what is actually said...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:Online, teanglann also has recordings for many words, but annoyingly not inflected forms.

I've also discovered fuaimeanna.ie, which has both recordings and two different transcriptions for them, in three dialects, which is easier than puzzling out what people are saying from the sound alone. The downside is that it's not a dictionary, it's a phonology guide, so it has only a relatively small number of words - enough to show off different sounds and processes. Still, it is searchable both by word and by phoneme. The other downside is that sometimes it's hard to connect the transcription to what is actually said...
Another thing that's kind of annoying about both sites is the word choice. Instead of choosing, say, the most common equivalent in a dialect, they simply take the standard form and make everyone pronounce it, which produces some absurd results (particularly for Ulster).