The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Re: The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Post by Cedh »

thetha wrote:The conditioning environment is that it always happens unless I don't like the way the word looks afterwards.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

In response to this post:
Sumelic wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
Vijay wrote:I haven't, but I've always thought those would make great smiley faces, and I've seen some people use them that way. Also ث, シ, etc.
ü
Gagh, it looks like a spider's face. Kill it, kill it!!! >_< Great, now I'm going to see a spider's face everytime I use ü... :P
Spider would be more like this: ⣿) Or if it's a cute jumping spider, this: ¨˚◯◯˚¨

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Pole, the wrote:
Returning to an older topic: it appears that the immigrant bus driver's son has beaten the billionaire scion of the von Goldschmidt-Rothschild dynasty,
I have first read the sentence and authentically thought “but what does an immigrant child beating up a rich man have to do with anything?”

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Nortaneous wrote:THE 2016 SHOWDOWN
TRUMP/GINGRICH
CLINTON/CASTRO
SANDERS/ISTVAN
KASICH/WALKER
BLOOMBERG/YARVIN
SUPREME/TOYAMA
DIKSHIT/FUCK
WHO WILL WIN???
TUNE IN TO FIND OUT
ON THE BIGGEST REALITY SHOW IN THE WORLD
FOR THE BIGGEST PRIZE IN THE LAND
TWO PARTIES
TOO MANY POLITICIANS
ONLY ONE CAN WIN
THE WHITE HOUSE
***AMERICAN IDOL: PRESIDENT EDITION***

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Gúmmíkjúklingurinn wrote:I'm not sure Putin cares all that much about Eurovision. As Viktor pointed out, it's gay propaganda...
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

In the 'Help your fluency in a nifty way' thread, Salmoneus wrote:Crazy golf is a form of miniature golf where unpredictable and bizarre elements are added to the course, like having to put through moving gaps, or holes that make the ball pop up somewhere else, etc.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Salmoneus wrote:
KathTheDragon wrote:There's no paper on the other end of that link.
I found that the most persuasive part of the proposal.
On what he knows in Irish; note Sal has mentioned studying it on Duolingo before:
Salmoneus wrote:My grammar at this stage is of the simple indicative present perfective statement kind, with some awareness of prepositions and questions, plus the latent suspicion that later on there are going to be present progressives in "ag + some_sort_of_verb_form". Paul is a crab, he wants soup, the woman is in the refrigerator, the president of ireland is proud of his ducks, the men drink but the women eat, my lawyer is very heavy... simple, basic everyday sentences.
This sequence of posts on the thread called "tube bo naja kije bo AND THE WHOLE DAMA DIWAN":
dyolf wrote:
valiums wrote:Has anyone really been far as decided to construct even languages want to do look more like?
What?
Dama Diwan wrote:valiums, you obviously mixed up your words so I don't know what you mean
And why not this one while we're at it:
Abi wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Dama Diwan wrote:Greek language is going to be extinct and that can be very soon, but the Greek vocabulary will remain internationally.
is that a threat?
Is it really a threat if its a fact? After the Germans kick Greece out of the EU, Greek will be demoted from indo-european to isolate. After a language is declared an isolate its all a downward spiral from there.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Ars Lande wrote:had a kid, taught her Dekhnami as a first language
It looked like a good idea at the ti, and it went really well too... Until she started using the dominant forms, that is, and of course it's really annoying when she summons Gelalh in her sleep. The carpet will never be the same again.
(Rushes to prepare breakfast as cries of 'feed me, puny mammals' are heard in the background)

JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Nortaneous wrote:
jmcd wrote:AFAICT, he wants citzenship but does not appear have it quite yet. He certainly didn't have it yet in February: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... vice-versa
He's going to have to go back, folks. We're going to build a big, beautiful wall, and we're going to use it to keep John Oliver out.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

cunningham wrote:The reality is that we gays are good at baking anyway and making gay marriage the law of the land just wasn't good enough for the loudest and proudest fairies so they felt the need to target Christian bakeries and feel Daddy's oppression just one more time.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

TSSL wrote:
Viktor77 wrote: Maybe we can make the end date Thursday, May 5th? A bit long, maybe. We'll work it out.
Maybe just a little long, considering the next Thursday May 5th is in 2022 :P

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Nortaneous wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:That used to be the theory. But it increasingly looks like he just wants to take the ball and go home, even if it means Trump winning the election. His campaign has shifted away from pushing left-wing policies (since there are so few policy differences between him and Clinton), and now seems primarily to be an angry white man conspiracy movement to take down Hilary at all costs. It's all about how she's "rigging" the election, and her supporters are "monarchists", and his fans need to have a "revolution" instead. A revolution which in practice means violence toward Democrats, sending death threats to children, and throwing stones at the police (OK, the anti-Trump rioters may not necessarily have been Sanders supporters, but in the past they have been, and Sanders in the past has supported their "disruption" (violence)).
how much did the clinton campaign pay you to poast this

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Nortaneous wrote:hillary reptilicus belphegor clinton xxxiii° spc. lzd. illum. is such a bad candidate that her entire campaign is "vote for me because sanders (more like *****MAN*****ders am i right????) supporters are mean on the internet"
Nortaneous wrote:i am the beast six six six of the lord of hosts in hillary sauron tsathoggua clinton now. i am the beast six six six of the lord of hosts ihstcn. i am the beast six six six of the lord of hosts. i am the beast six six six otlohihstcn. i am the beast sssotlohihstcn. beast six six six lord xxxiii° spc. lzd. illum. is so weak that donald trump is going to be the next president lmao. how do you fuck up that badly
Nortaneous wrote:haha the economic left amygdala-hijacked itself into being totally ineffective. the Council of Nine is the only engine of change we Lefty's need in order to enact our agenda, we'll always hold our noses and vote for the demograt in the general elfection because otherwiese the Horrible Evil Repulbican could win, oh no!!!!! at least when neoliberalism complexifies into self-awareness and realizes it hungers insatiably for human flesh we'll be able to get gay-married in an abortion clinic as it tears the meat from our bones :) :) :) Progress
Nortaneous wrote:imho donald trump's nationalist american workers party (formerly the "republicans") should formally declare affiliation with some sort of anticapitalism........ maybe the one bernie sanders keeps talking about. i forget what its called i think it starts with an S
Nortaneous wrote:is "social nationalism" a thing the way "social democracy" is, i want there to be a party called SNAWP
Nortaneous wrote:SNAWP POASTING
Nortaneous wrote:~
Gúmmíkjúklingurinn wrote:Bill Kristol yesterday sent out a tweet that seems to indicate a Republican has been drafted for an independent campaign. It seems this is being taken pretty seriously, with Trump going after Bill Kristol for the announcement, and media speculating and contacting sources to see who it will be.
Nortaneous wrote:what a coincidence, Kristol Bill is my drag stripper name

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

In the thread beginning with this post:
thetha wrote:isn't it great when the "most logical" solution is the one you were using already

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

hwhatting wrote:
Frislander wrote:Wouldn't you say that the word "necroing" is metaphorical in itself, as you're extending the idea of the living-dead contrast to inanimate (and, more to the point, virtual) forum threads?
Talking abot "necroing" and judging it is vitalist bigotry.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

("Think" was bolded in the original; I bolded "wod" here:)
Salmoneus wrote:
jmcd wrote:
Salmoneous wrote:With the e-mails think pretty much done and dusted but for the paperwork, the consensus from all parties seems clear
To what extent do you devoice your coda consonants?
...I don't, to my knowledge. I do, however, sometimes type the wrong wod or letter.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Yng wrote:literally every political side says the BBC is biased against them
mèþru wrote:It may actually be possible that the BBC is biased against everyone.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Yes! I have a quote here!
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

mèþru wrote:Yes! I have a quote here!

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

rotting bones wrote:
zompist wrote:Er, what? This is way off topic, but this is a completely half-baked theory of meaning.
Just because it's not popular doesn't mean it's wrong.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

zompist wrote:Fine, please give us the algorithm that says what is true and what isn't.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

mèþru wrote:Pets should be an integral part of any campaign in a self-respecting democracy.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Nortaneous wrote:ⁿgwi tu yɤʔŋa li-ɓæ
1S EGO 3S.M IMF-fuck
I am going to fuck him.

yɤʔŋa kwɤ-la ɗɯ-la ya-ɓæ-la ɤŋ
3S.M ass-3 in-3 IMF.3-fuck-3 or
Are you going to fuck him/her in the ass?

[...]

yɤʔŋa yehmaɬ ɗɯ-kwɤ-li-ɓæ-la ɤŋ
3S.M 3S.F in-ass-IMF-fuck-3 or
Are you going to fuck her in the ass?

The sentence yɤʔŋa ɗɯkwɤɓæla ɤŋ would be interpreted as having a dropped subject: "Are you going to fuck him in the ass?"

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Hydroeccentricity wrote:On the one hand, the low value of the pound will make UK exports more competitive.

On the other hand, the UK's most likely chief export in the next few years is Scotland.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

So many quotes.
kuroda wrote:It's both an incontrovertable and widely accepted fact that Altaic is a completely demonstrable and proven language family, and it's also the fact that "Altaic" is obviously and unambiguously nonsense as a 'genetic' relationship. Seriously, both points are plain facts in both professional circles and popular media today.

Seriously, it's all crazy politics and elderly academics (and their students). Between Turks and Koreans with flags and self-evidently true nations with vastly deep and profound histories and Western media access, it's a bad business. Between "Altaicists" who are insanely knowledgeable about Turkic languages, and/or Korean, and/or Japanese, but couldn't find their way out of a Mongolian etymological bag with a library at their back -- to say nothing of Tungusic languages! -- and, well, each other: it's an ugly business too. I think the entire issue is just poison. And that people who invoke it at this point should be, basically, assumed to be hucksters, politicians, bad actors, and/or mentally disabled.
Zontas wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
Zontas wrote:Natlangs or conlangs you have interest in but have never actually learned any of aside from maybe reading a paper on it once: North Picene
Well, if you've read a paper about it, chances are that you know it as well as anyone else alive today. ;-)
To be fair, that "paper" was Wikipedia.
rotting bones wrote:No, you see, I am Satan, and just by responding to my post you have fallen into my trap.
mèþru wrote:Going back to the joke on the big Dama Diwan thread, 51% of voters have declared English as an isolate language. The competition for dominant language is now a desperate race between Chinese, French and Spanish.
mèþru wrote:[cackle]mèþru's orthography shows poor design, they said! Stroke/bar diacritics are terrible they said! mèþru will show them all! Yes! Muwahahahahaha! Soon, they will all cower over the might of my vast array of circumflex constants, e-strokes, a-strokes, consonants with diaereses, thorns, edhs and engs![/cackle]
I may have went on a massive Girl Genius archive binge.
Nortaneous wrote:/pʰ tʰ cʰ kʰ/ <P T Ć C>
/p t c k ʔ/ <B D J G ,>
/ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ/ <Ƀ Ⱦ Ȼ́ Ȼ>
/ⁿb ⁿd ⁿɟ ⁿg/ <V Ꞥ Ɏ K>
/m̥ n̥ ɲ̥ ŋ̥/ <Ḿ Ń Y Ǵ>
/m n ɲ ŋ/ <M N Ɏ Ṉ>
/s h/ <S H>
/ɬ ç ʍ/ <Ƚ É Ẃ>
/l j w/ <L E W>

Vowels:
/æ a ɒ e ɤ o i ɯ u/ <Á O U A Ɇ Ʉ Ⱥ I Ó>

gwiʔ tu wuja ɤɲɤm. ju tu wuja nɤɲɤm ɤŋ? jæ çwi ɠeʄæɬ ɗɯla. ⁿgwi ji ɓoɗæʔ ⁿdo hɤkæʔ. jɤʔŋa jehmaɬ ɗɯkwɤliɓæla ɤŋ. ŋæʔ çwi ɬiɲ wɤ tʰowæʔ ja çwi jiw ɗi.
QȺ, DÓ WÓEO ɆɎɆM. EÓ DÓ WÓEO NɆɎɆM ɆṈ? EÁ ÉWȺ ȻAȻ́ÁȽ ȾILO. QȺ, EȺ ɃɄȾÁ, ȾɄ HɆGÁ,. EɆ,ṈO EAḾOȽ ȾIḰɆLȺɃÁLO ɆṈ. ṈÁ, ÉWȺ ȽȺɎ WɆ TɄWÁ, EO ÉWȺ EȺW ȾȺ.
EDIT: Oh shit! I forgot this one! :D
hwhatting wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:Huh? Why are you shorter in English than other languages?
Z powodu Brexita.
À cause du Brexit.
Wegens de Brexit.

Due to Brexit.
EDIT2: And now, this:
alice wrote:WARNING: reading the above link and its associated articles will almost certainly damage your health and sanity in ways you probably might not expect.