Regional accents are losing the battle to standard English

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Regional accents are losing the battle to standard English

Post by Jonlang »

... according to i. This, of course, only applies to UK regional accents. here's the article.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Regional accents are losing the battle to standard Engli

Post by Travis B. »

In my family, it varies; my daughter has more standard diphthongal /eɪ oʊ/ (as [ɛɪ oʊ]) where I have monophthongs, but then I've heard her pronounce /i/ as a diphthong [ɘi], which I do not know where that came from. (I have probably the least standard English out of anyone in my immediate family.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I'm from California, so I never had an accent to begin with. ;P

More seriously, I've traveled to a number of different parts of the country and don't feel like I usually notice a lot of pronounced region accents. However, it's entirely possible that I'm not very perceptive of them. I once spent a month living with a guy in Minneapolis, and when I came home my parents commented that when they'd talked to him on the phone he had a strong Minnesota accent. I, on the other hand, never really noticed it the whole time I was staying with the guy.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

The Texas Twang is also endangered, especially in Austin.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

The standard Southern drawl also seems to be disappearing from North Carolina, or at least the larger cities, though that's also partly a product of NC having a lot of people moving into the state from other parts of the US as of late (especially from the Midwest). And I mostly notice this in Fayetteville, which is a military town that has a lot of net migration of people to begin with, so...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

A lot of people in Mercer County, New Jersey speak in something close to General American rather than typical New York or Philadelphia.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

CatDoom wrote:I'm from California, so I never had an accent to begin with. ;P
Hey, let's hear that fronted /u/ [}]! >:O

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

If this is the same 1950s study I learned about in uni, they only took data from older rural males, so the data is going to be massively skewed anyway towards a more conservative way of talking – deliberately. Those maps are compelling but it's important not to take them solely at face value.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

finlay wrote:If this is the same 1950s study I learned about in uni, they only took data from older rural males, so the data is going to be massively skewed anyway towards a more conservative way of talking – deliberately. Those maps are compelling but it's important not to take them solely at face value.
Yeah - this has got a lot of press coverage but I mean, come on.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

So it basically means some of damage was already done by the 50s, not that the destruction isn't taking place.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

kodé wrote:
CatDoom wrote:I'm from California, so I never had an accent to begin with. ;P
Hey, let's hear that fronted /u/ [}]! >:O
This is sufficiently common in English that CatDoom probably does not consciously perceive it as an innovation.

Alon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Alon »

The article shows just two maps, and one of them, the board a, doesn't show much movement since the 1950s.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

jmcd wrote:So it basically means some of damage was already done by the 50s, not that the destruction isn't taking place.
I mean is it really that much of a loss if fifty words for splinter (most of which were probably confined to the old men of three or four bumfuck villages 70 years ago) have now been replaced by one...?
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

OK so there are worse things in the world but it's clear that the words, pronunciation and grammatical forms used were more varied beforehand and this is part of a general trend of assimilation. And there isn't a right or wrong way of speaking; this change just encourages even more the unrelentingly overbearing process that resulted in the change.

Sometimes combinations of words are curious... is 'bumfuck villages' intended as more offensive to bumfucks or to villages?

Also, note that this project is based off a Swiss German one that shows a lesser loss and corresponds to political differences.

On a sidenote, the results this time are likely skewed in the opposite direct: smartphone app use will be skewed towards techie young fogeys, who are among the least likely to speak traditional dialect. I don't even use my smartphone for anything other video calling family. I don't imagine our grandparents would fare any better; indeed quite to the contrary.

It would also appear from the comments here that some people got a wrong place chosen for them by the app.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

The longer I've lived in the US, the more perceptive I am of dialectal differences here. The minute differences in a-sounds and o-sounds in particular that make such a huge difference here in America. That said, I barely ever hear people with a "New York" accent around me – occasionally with Jews and older Italian-Americans, but that's it. However, I hear plenty of Puerto Rican English around my neighborhood, and whatever you call the North Brooklyn variety of AAEV – accents I feel are often ignored in dialect coverage.
vec

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

vampireshark wrote:The standard Southern drawl also seems to be disappearing from North Carolina, or at least the larger cities, though that's also partly a product of NC having a lot of people moving into the state from other parts of the US as of late (especially from the Midwest). And I mostly notice this in Fayetteville, which is a military town that has a lot of net migration of people to begin with, so...
Interesting. Most of the people I know who've moved to NC recently are from the Northeast--so much so that I tend to think of it as a second Florida. (For instance, my Bronx-raised stepmom spilled her iced tea in a restaurant near Hilton Head and the server said to her, "I suppose you want another one." Her response was, "You're not from around here!" That's not the kind of raillery you'd expect from a Midwesterner, and a Southerner least of all. That's straight-up New Yawk.)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

One of the things about here in southeastern Wisconsin is we do not really get people from other parts of the country, aside from Chicago and Madison, and occasional people from Minnesota, Indiana, or Michigan. Wisconsin is not the kind of place people want to live in unless they are already used to the cold. The main population movement here aside from the movement back and forth between southeastern Wisconsin and Chicago and between southeastern Wisconsin and Madison is movement of people away from here; people in both sides of my family have wound up in places such as Minnesota, Arizona, various parts of the South, and so on, and I myself moved temporarily to Maryland and my sister used to live on Long Island.

(I should note that what is known as "Chicago" to Wisconsinites is what is known as "Chicagoland" or just "northern Illinois" to Illinois people.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Travis B. wrote:One of the things about here in southeastern Wisconsin is we do not really get people from other parts of the country, aside from Chicago and Madison, and occasional people from Minnesota, Indiana, or Michigan. Wisconsin is not the kind of place people want to live in unless they are already used to the cold. The main population movement here aside from the movement back and forth between southeastern Wisconsin and Chicago and between southeastern Wisconsin and Madison is movement of people away from here; people in both sides of my family have wound up in places such as Minnesota, Arizona, various parts of the South, and so on, and I myself moved temporarily to Maryland and my sister used to live on Long Island.

(I should note that what is known as "Chicago" to Wisconsinites is what is known as "Chicagoland" or just "northern Illinois" to Illinois people.)
Why wouldn't people move to Wisconsin, then? I've been up to New York and Massachusetts in May and it's always been too hot. (I have no idea how anyone ever settled the East Coast.)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.