The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Post by opipik »

Imralu wrote:
zompist wrote:In Rio we found a hotel right at the hotel, which was fantastic.
You're right. That's much more convenient than no hotel at the hotel. :-D :-D :-D

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:Thanks for the lecture on how to have a healthy, functioning multi-party democracy; I'm sure India will be the first place the nation turns to if it wants to learn about how to resolve political disputes. It's something we have very little experience with, in Britain. Your ideas are both novel and specific.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Buran wrote:Try saying "complex clusters of consonants" ten times fast.
Pole, the wrote:
I agree that Israel's system is chaotic, yet it seems to work. Elections happen pretty often, yet there are no shutdowns like in the US.
…which isn't surprising as a “government shutdown” seems to be something specific to the US. It's a bit like saying Russian electoral system is better because Trump was never a candidate there.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Imralu wrote:I homo! Yu wa i hu i he byu.
= Yum! I'm looking forward to you being a man.

I swear "homo" was entirely unintentional. It actually made me laugh out loud.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Hydroeccentricity wrote:Now that the god-awful waste of time known as emailgate is winding down (though not gone - the GOP is going to whip this dead horse until November), I have some predictions about the next line of attack on Clinton. Here are the headlines:

Clinton Uses Incorrect Fork at Donor Luncheon

GOP Launches Probe Into Clinton's Use of 'Their' For 'They're'

Former Secretary of State Accused of Eating Fried Chicken with Skin Still On

Uproar Over Clinton Pick For This Evening's Netflix Binge

Ryan: "Clinton Refuses to Deny Peeing In Shower"

Rare 1982 Photo Shows Clinton Wearing 'Fat Pants' in Public

Can Clinton Fit Six Golf Balls in Mouth? Republicans Skeptical
Qwynegold wrote:
finlay wrote:え…雷の好きの「変な人」のリストに追加するよ(これは殺すよー)
i'm adding you to my crazy people who like thunder list (that shit kills you)
ええ、すごいんじゃないか。
Ee, sugoin ja nai ka.
But isn't it cool?
2+3 clusivity wrote:Hmm, yeah, we should totally replace moist with turgid.
Frislander wrote:
Vardelm wrote:I dig that consonant inventory.
Yeah, like a wonderful kind of perverted Australian.
Nortaneous wrote:[paragraphs of information about the Yia family and Proto-Yia on "H13 and Nort and Yng's conworld scratchpad"]
Morphosyntax: i forget
Pole, the wrote:
This is my life. This is the story of Chagen, the once-happy boy in middle school and high school. A boy who once dreamed of faraway lands, yearning to put them onto paper and tell grand stories. Now he's a suicidally depressed shut-in who spends all of his time browsing the internet, playing video games, and consuming harem otaku culture because anime chicks are all I have.
Well… I do basically the same. I was supposed to write an app in OpenGL for the next Monday, but instead I am sitting-laying on my bed with four tabs of Wikipedia and five tabs of TV Tropes opened. (I am so useless I stopped to procrastinate on Wikipedia to procrastinate on TV Tropes and then stopped that to procrastinate on ZBB!)
EDIT: Come on, I gotta include this one!

WARNING:
Grey and white text in this post may not be visible.
Pole, the wrote:
mèþru wrote:I usually make a response to the literal meaning of the Pole's posts, as I cannot understand what position he is endorsing a lot of the time. From what I understand of the Pole's posting style, both literal and sarcastic interpretations are usually meant to some level.
Yay! Finally someone who understands me!

(This post is sarcastic.)

(Or is it?)
Last edited by Vijay on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I was going to put that last one with the Pole! I guess we're even, Vijay.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

:D

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

You can't really see the white text at the bottom when in quotes.
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Really? Hmm, I can. What do you think? Keep it white, or change it to black? What about the gray text?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Just add:
WARNING:
Grey and white text in this post may not be visible.
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Hahah, thanks! And done :D

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Zaarin wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:There's that "we" again.
It's a good thing you and Viktor aren't great friends. With your powers combined, the universe itself might tremble!
Umm what? Replace we with I in my post. Does it make any sense afterwards?
Sal appears to have a thing against what I learned as "royal we." Perhaps it's an American thing?
We will never know.
We are not amused.
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

As a response to this:
jmcd wrote:you'll just have to call yourself ObliviousNewt now~~
Regarding the possible association of vowels with grammatical(?) gender:
mèþru wrote:
dyolf wrote:There definitely feels like there's something feminine about to me.
Tell that to the Latin language.
Salmoneus wrote:lingua anglica
zompist wrote:
Travis B. wrote:The thing is Sal's objection to we is based on that it is referring to individuals who are not present in the immediate conversation, as if one had power over them. Does that change if I were to say "I think the US government should take steps to preserve English as a global lingua franca"? One is still speaking as if one has control over something that one does not (because if one were not, why would it matter whether one thinks the US government should or should not do something in the first place).

One is not understanding the objection. One is not saying that one cannot say things about government policy. One is saying that one is not making a distinction between things that can be changed by government action (say, whether Britain stays in the EU) and things that cannot (say, the sun's nuclear generation).

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

mèþru wrote:I know lots of history due to reading lots of Wikipedia (and analysing it. Wikipedia is a good ressource, but shouldn't be trusted 100%) and reading history textbooks cover to cover.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

jmcd wrote:Margarine is the sign of a poor quality cuisine and poor quality cuisine is the sign of a loveless marriage.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Zaarin wrote:And the term "4th person" is already used as shorthand for obviative and empathetic pronouns.
zompist wrote:The 5th person is the guy who really didn't want to play bridge anyway and will just sit in a chair and read.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Moistaneous wrote:daily reminder that palm trees are aliens uwu
say it louder for the people in the back
daily reminder that palm trees are aliens uwu

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
HazelFiver wrote:Everyone else here seems to put a lot of effort into coming up with their own sets of sound changes, but my current project uses sound changes that I found on the internet (mostly Wikipedia) for various stages of Celtic languages. I worry that this is uncreative or even a form of cultural appropriation, and I would like a second opinion.
Actually, I'm afraid you'll find most sound changes are copyrighted. For example, o > oː / _(C)V (© 1876 Karl Brugmann)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Yng wrote:Isn't it ~a thing~ that bisyllabic adjectives can often go one way or the other?

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Moistaneous wrote:Hello. Hello. Thank you. Such a wonderful crowd we have today. Thank you.

You want to know where America is going today? I'll tell you, folks, and it isn't pretty. It's not a good picture. There's this website, Tumblr, some of your kids are on it -- Yahoo bought it and it's not making any money, no one knows how to do business anymore, no one knows how to make deals, like the Iran deal, can you believe it? they're laughing at us! -- now, Tumblr, I gotta tell you, it's bad. It's dreadful. Here are some of the things that go around on this Tumblr website.

See, here's one about how all men are morally obligated to cut their dicks off. That means you, folks. That means your sons. This is what they believe. Do you want this to be America's future? These people are all going to vote for Hillary. Here's a post from the same person about how you have to vote for Hillary. To stop me. You wouldn't believe the things they call me. I can't repeat them. I can't repeat them.

Here's one about how Stalin was a good guy. Joseph Stalin. The mastermind of the gulags, of the Communist purges. They think he was a great guy. They're voting for Hillary. They think she's closer to Stalin than I am, that's why they're voting for her. Here's another one about Stalin. And another.

Here's one about how white people should be killed. That's what they want to do, folks. They want to kill white people. Can you believe it? They want to kill us. They call me a demagogue, they call me a racist, all this nonsense, and then they get on Tumblr and talk about killing white people.
Pole, the wrote:
Moistaneous wrote:
jmcd wrote:Lol (or ow) I actually get relevant results on searching for 'masculinity evil'. It's like the SJWs or the neoreactionary movement: specifically American (?) things I only encounter (and only exist?) on some parts of the internet. It seems a continuation of culture wars. Though I think even SJWs are more widely known than this.
some politicians in the finnish green party are pushing a petition to ban even giving legal advice to 'racist' organizations, it's not at all specifically american unless you're koichi toyama
So, 'giving legal advice to racist organisations' and 'having a penis' are synonyms now?
Moistaneous wrote:
احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:These past few weeks have plagued me with the question of whether dumb people without sound judgement should vote or not.

Donald Trump is giving off too many red flags and I cannot help but question the judgement of anyone who would vote for them.
cmon dude, obama started his political career as a no-shit capital-C Communist and learned to pretend not to be the son of a deep state operative and a dispossessed foreign elite by fucking about with black nationalism and look what we got. replacement of liberal justices with more liberal justices, an attempt to establish a liberal lockdown on the court that's (rightly) being stonewalled by the opposition, and a health care plan that was probably designed to fail, and two more terms of a less entertaining dubya. you have fucked up chimp politics emboldening his supporters to be like "hell ya dude let's permanently dispossess our traditional enemies and just beat the shit out of them forever until they're all dead" but i haven't seen any indication that the man himself couldn't be replaced by a dead cat

also, consider that it's demonstrably trivial to establish support within USG for foreign terrorist groups, and that huma abedin exists
zompist wrote:OH NOES LIBERALS REPLACING LIBERALS CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Salmoneus wrote:in technical terms, it makes him a git.
Moistaneous wrote:Anyway, the most important thing is geography, so:

[...]
* Sestmag (Sestmag: /ɕɕmɒ/) fuck it who cares about Sestmag
Pole, the wrote:
Soap wrote:i had a dream Michelle Obama was running for president and people were grilling her the way they did Hillary. there had been some attack in New Hampshire and she was criticized for why she hadnt responded to it in time ... she said something I dont remember, somehow all that was left in the USA were Indonesian soldiers and "the regular army" which she said shoudlnt be used to repel an attack on US soil.

then, since this was a dream, suddenly i was on my smartphone listening to someone say Ann Telnaes "makes her strong" and i accidentally thumb-pressed something on a chart about Hillary
Oh come on, now your dreams have become establishment agenda!
Imralu wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:What really baffles me is the people who appear to earnestly be saying "more ...er" and "most ...est", which doesn't really bother me since it's not making English into a degenerate analytic language (I mean, one of the first examples I heard was "most expensivest") but still makes me go like "where the heck is that from?".
I've heard lots of Australians say "most furtherest" which is even more ridiculouser.
linguoboy wrote:
Serafín wrote:Also, why did you quote Yng in the Quote Thread for what he said? It doesn't seem Quote Thread-worthy to me.
Hold on, you mean there are standards for that thread? Shut the front door, why did nobody tell me this before?
(For some reason, I find it mildly amusing when people seem to unintentionally say things that rhyme).
linguoboy wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:OMG How can you not like Pokémon?
I'm not big on actual cockfighting either.
Wait. So, do you mean that if I don't support a global nuclear war then I cannot enjoy playing Defcon? ;_;
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. *eyes roll backwards into brain*

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Sex joke (read the whole thing to understand):
Frislander wrote:Here's a story idea set in this proposed universe.

Be warned, it's a bit graphic, so if that's not you thing, feel free not to read this.
More: show
Confidently striding into the auditorium, Priestess Kalutai took stock of her surroundings.
The audience consisted of her temple's patrons and their entourages, their latex clothes presenting a riot of colour, from bright white to deep, dark blues to almost sickening shades of pink. The high clans, taking a break from their bitter feuding, came together peacefully to witness this rare event. The high nobles were barely visible under their thick, enveloping robes. Their servants were significantly less veiled.
The priestess' own robes, clinging to her like a second skin, flowed gracefully as she moved across the floor. She spotted amongst the multitude one particularly fine specimen belonging to one of her good friends. She'd have to arrange a meeting later, but there was work to be done first.
As she entered, the chatter that had formerly pervaded the room fell away, as the expectant crowd turned their eyes on the Priestess. All female of course: what was about to take place was too disturbing for the eyes of men.
On the raised dais in front of her lay two fine young men, their penises straight erect like soldiers standing to attention. They wore the shoulder-length gloves and hip-length stockings in bright red that marked them out as initiates of the temple. They had been hobbled, folding each limb back on itself, and were therefore prone and unable to escape their fate.
"Well, what are we to do with you?" crooned Kalutai. "You've been very bad boys, haven't you? Have you nothing to say in your defence?" The two of them remained silent.
"These men," she said, addressing the audience. "These men were caught trespassing on the chapel of Untamed Passion!" The audience began to murmur. "They have despoiled their masculinity, and must be punished appropriately! We all know what happens to men who defile the chapel of the Untamed Passion!"
Immediately the crowd began to cry. "Cut them off! Cut them off! Cut them off!"
The two captives lying on the looked at one another with sorrowful eyes. The priestess took out from inside her robe a dagger, long and exceedingly sharp. She grasped its hilt firmly in her rubber-clad hands, and within a minute the deed was done. Then she clapped her hands, and immediately several bio-mechanical tentacles descended from the ceiling. The screaming victims' wounds were cleaned and cauterised, and the blood was washed off the dais. Then their hobbles were removed, and two stretchers were brought to carry them away. All knew what their fate would be.
I wrote:Criticism:
More: show
The audience consisted of her temple's patrons and their entourages, their latex clothes presenting a riot of colour, from bright white to deep, dark blues to almost sickening shades of pink.
This sentence is way too long. If you must provide lots of description, can you please divide it in to more sentences?
The priestess' own robes, clinging to her like a second skin, flowed gracefully as she moved across the floor. She spotted amongst the multitude one particularly fine specimen belonging to one of her good friends.
Specimen of what? Also, robes are by definition loose-fitting, which doesn't fit with "clinging to her like a second skin". I think that the term you are looking for is "cassock".
All female of course: what was about to take place was too disturbing for the eyes of men. On the raised dais in front of her lay two fine young men, their penises straight erect like soldiers standing to attention.
Why is it too disturbing for men? Males have castrated other males for millennia. In fact, forcing men to watch a public castration would serve as an excellent and vivid reminder to men to not trespass in the chapel. Also, I imagine that it is extremely hard to maintain an erection when you are about to be publicly castrated.
"Well, what are we to do with you?" crooned Kalutai. "You've been very bad boys, haven't you? Have you nothing to say in your defence?" The two of them remained silent.
Is she castrating them or being a dominatrix? I suggest you work on your word choice, especially with "very bad boys" and "crooned".
"They have despoiled their masculinity, and must be punished appropriately!
There shouldn't be a comma in this sentence. You can fix this as
  1. "They have despoiled their masculinity and must be punished appropriately!
  2. "They have despoiled their masculinity, and they must be punished appropriately!
  3. "They have despoiled their masculinity; they must be punished appropriately!
bio-mechanical tentacles
Why are the tentacles used and why are they using specifically tentacles for the purpose?
Vijay wrote:It's hard to stay hard? :P
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Heh, I'm glad you liked my little joke. :)
linguoboy wrote:
hwhatting wrote:It's your birthday today? Herzlichen Glückwunsch und Alles Gute!
Gestern (ihr lebt in der Zukunft, ihr Europäer)
zompist wrote:I don't think it's the movie that makes people think that women might be pretty.
mèþru wrote:He's banned? I already made a nice a counter-rant and everything! Come back! (For the humor-disabled, this was sarcasm.)

For those interested, here's the rant:
I don't really have any affiliation with Greece or special fondness for Greeks. It just was the first thing that popped to my head. [...]
"Lithuania can into relevant?" is a Polandball joke. Polandball is [...]
mèþru wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:I will visit Lithuania at the end of this month. I have never been there, and I would love to know what there is to see there. I will visit Vilnius, but I could also visit other regions of the country. I think Lituania is a very cheap country, and the train tickets aren't very expensive? Do they even have trains? [...]
A tempo de despidir vai chegar, a minha última hora chegará de aqui ao poco pra mim nesse forum. Eles não podem aguentar os meus opiniões diferentes, eles não confiavam os seus proprios opiniões; cada opinião que é diferente do opinião deles é como uma gota de chuva ardida que queima o corpo deles.

The time to say goodbye is nearing; my last hour shall arrive soon for me on this board. They could not bear my different opinions; they could not have trust in their very own opinions; every opinion different from theirs is like a burning rain drop which burns into their flesh[...]
Judging by their behavior towards Lithuania now, that must have been some EPIC trip.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

alynnidalar wrote:
garysk wrote:Is it allowed to conjure up undocumented or undescribed sounds?
No. And you shouldn't talk too loudly about the possibility of doing it either; the International Phonetic Association's assassins are always watching.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

alynnidalar wrote:
Aili Meilani wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:How is Quechua, a family of languages currently spoken by over 8 million people, "ancient"?
It's obvious, all 8 million speakers are five thousand years old.
"Doctors HATE this one weird trick for achieving immortality! Learn a Quechuan language today!"
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero