The article in Goidelic

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

The article in Goidelic

Post by alice »

Many sources say that the source of the article is *sind, the final /d/ accounting for the /t/ in an t-uisge and so on. Does anybody know where this *sind itself comes from?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The article in Goidelic

Post by sangi39 »

Wiktionary wrote:From Proto-Celtic *sindos ‎(“this”), from Proto-Indo-European *sḗm ‎(“one”) or *só ‎(“this”); weak doublet of sin ‎(“this”).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: The article in Goidelic

Post by Salmoneus »

sangi39 wrote:
Wiktionary wrote:From Proto-Celtic *sindos ‎(“this”), from Proto-Indo-European *sḗm ‎(“one”) or *só ‎(“this”); weak doublet of sin ‎(“this”).
...which is tantamount to them saying "buggered if we know!"...

Matasovic suggests the accusative singular of the feminine demonstrative, si:m, plus a "particle", do, or possibly de, from which he suggests a link to Greek -de. Similarly, he suggests a parallel masculine sondo underlying the Welsh and Irish words for "here". The feminine demonstrative itself he derives from the pronominal element s-, plus a "motion suffix" -ih2 (although since -ih2 and derivatives (eg -ih2k) appear as feminines elsewhere I don't think 'motion' is necessary).

That's not quite 'buggered if I know'... but to be honest it's not much better, is it? When you have to break a word up into one-phoneme morphemes and you still can't be clear what half of them mean, that's not a good sign...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!