Ungarre, yet another romlang

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Ungarre, yet another romlang

Post by Daedolon »

UNGARRE

Its yet another daughter language from Latin but I really don't have a backstory for this one.

Phonology

/m n ɲ/ <m n gn>
/p b t d k g/ <p b t d c/qu g/gu>*
/f v s z ʃ ʒ h/ <f v s z x/c j/g h>**
/j ʀ ɾ l ʎ/ <ï rr/r r l ll>***

*/k g/ are <qu gu> before front vowels and <c g> everywhere else.
**/ʃ ʒ/ are <c g> before front vowels and <x j> everywhere else.
*** /ʀ/ is <r> in word-inital position, where /ɾ/ never appears.

Every obstruent may be geminated, this is represented in the orthography by doubling the correspondent letter: ⟨bb⟩ for [bː], ⟨pp⟩ for [pː], ⟨ss⟩ for [sː] etc.

/i ɨ u e o a/ <i y u e o a>
/iː ɨ uː eː oː aː/ <í ý ú é ó á>

Stress is always on the penult syllable.

A glottal fricative [h] is added between vowels to prevent hiatus. This also applies across word boundaries in cases of close syntactic connection.

Phonotactics

Syllables like (C)(C)(C)V(C)(C)(C)(C) are possible but are extremely rare, CVC, CV, CVCC are the most common syllable patterns.

Nouns

Nouns in Ungarre distinguishes two genders (masculine and feminine) and two numbers (singular and plural). Just like in many Romance languages, there is no case system, yet unlike most other Romance languages, genitive, instead of the accusative, displaced the nominative. The noun is declined only for the category of number while gender is expressed by the article preceding the noun.

Number

There are three main patterns for the formation of plural nouns in Ungarre. These patterns are based on which declension the noun originally belonged to in Latin.

Plural in -ar

The plural is formed by adding the -ar suffix to the singular form of the noun. This pattern is based on Latin's first declension.

Code: Select all

Singular       Plural         Meaning
/poɾt/         /'poɾ.taɾ/     "entrance, passage, door"
/faːh/         /'faː.haɾ/     "beech"
Plural in -or

The plural is formed by adding the -or suffix to the singular form of the noun. This patterns is based on latin's second declension.

Singular       Plural           Meaning
/poɾk/         /'poɾ.koɾ/       "pig"
/'gel.ziː/     /'gel.zoɾ/       "sword"
Plural in -er

The plural is formed by adding the -er suffix to the singular form of the noun. This pattern is based on Latin's third, fourth and fifth declension. This one is kinda sketchy, only the nouns of the fifth declension actually would have the plural formed with -er. Nouns from Latin's third and fourth declension form plural with -Ø, that is, their plural and singular form is the same. The -er suffix is applied to them through analogy with the first and second patterns.

Singular       Plural           Meaning
/'om.ɲe/       /'om.ɲeɾ/        "man"
/ʀeː/          /ʀeɾ/            "king"

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Ungarre, yet another romlang

Post by mèþru »

Is this related to Hungary?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

mèþru wrote:Is this related to Hungary?
It could be ? It doesn't seem like hungarian to me at least.
If you're talking about the name . . . I don't remember from where I got it to be honest fam.

Adjectives

Adjectives agree with the nouns in number and gender. First and second declension adjectives only differentiate the genders on the plural, using -or to mark the masculine plural and while using the -ar suffix to mark the feminine, through analogy this pattern is applied on third declension adjectives.

Mas/Fem Singular       Masculine Plural             Feminine Plural             Meaning
/bon/                  /'bo.nor/                    /'bo.nar/                   "good"
/terʃ/                 /'ter.ʃor/                   /'ter.ʃar/                  "third"
/geːr/                 /'geː.ror/                   /'geː.rar/                  "heavy"
The comparative is expressed by <má> /maː/ "more" and <min> /min/ "less", thus <má alt> "taller" as in <má alt quiz ygn mont> "taller than a mountain".

The superlative is expressed through <ARTICLE + NOUN + má + ADJECTIVE> as in <la mont má alt> "the tallest mountain".

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Yeah, the name. It doesn't resemble Hungarian in the slightest.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť