Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by gach »

Looks nice and I like the touch on the schematic in your Fig. 3. This now reminds me to work harder on a couple of papers we need to put out as soon as possible.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

vampireshark wrote:Happy thing: my second publication just went online. Took some time, but feels pretty good.
Pretty pictures!
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

vampireshark wrote:Happy thing: my second publication just went online. Took some time, but feels pretty good.
Congratulations!

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

Our concert last Thursday (in a café) went pretty well. We did a few false notes, and I sang out of key once or twice... but we rocked the house down!

Oh, and we won the "original song contest". The host asked every band to present at least one original song. But in the end, most bands only played covers: only our band and one other did play an original song, and theirs was a bit half-assed by their own admission.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

This trip to Croatia has been excellent. Next up (tomorrow) is Ljubljana again, hopefully with a side trip to Lake Bled and Blejski vintgar.

(And where did our resident Slovenian disappear to...?)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

vampireshark wrote:This trip to Croatia has been excellent.
YES! Finally! Someone who went to Croatia! (Croatia is the only place in all of Europe I have ever been to, and my trip there was excellent, too, albeit short :)).

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I don't think I've ever been to Croatia.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:I don't think I've ever been to Croatia.
I have!

Oh no, wait, that was Czechoslovakia. Sorry.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Pole, the wrote:I don't think I've ever been to Croatia.
You should fix this.

Though I did find Croatia to be surprisingly expensive... not horribly bad, but more in line with Germany price-wise, maybe a bit more in some places. Don't know how much of that is due to them having their own currency, the 25% VAT on almost everything, or the huge numbers of tourists there.

Today's happy: Slovenia's been great, especially the trip I took to Bled yesterday. And OMG I GOT A VATICAN EURO COIN IN CHANGE HOW DID THIS HAPPEN I SO HAPPY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I've bought some rahat lokum (aka. Turkish delight) and it's delicious.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

A foaf on Facebook posted a link to an article about a Catholic priest in Mexico who had supposedly raped dozens of children while HIV+ and been pardoned by the Pope. Naturally, I was surprised not to have heard about this case earlier, so I did what I usually do when I have the time: I Googled the name of the accused. The only "news source" to carry a report was a notorious English tabloid which quoted the same anonymous hacktivists as every other site, and the one blog I recognised among the hits had an post on why the report was a hoax.

I had to keep sleuthing to finally figure out that the accompanying photo was of a famous Spanish demonologist, who, as far as I can tell, has never been accused of any crimes, and present this evidence to the OP in order to get him to include a retraction, but he finally did.

Another small victory in the never-ending battle against fake news.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

After spending the last month or so being too freaked out by weird cardiac symptoms to feel safe riding my bicycle, I finally said fuckit yesterday and went out for a ride, and it went fine. I had some palpitations while warming up and was worried I'd have to stop, but after the first five minutes it was smooth sailing. I actually cried when I got home I was so relieved. Also, before that, I spent a couple hours teaching myself some bicycle maintenance skills, and now I feel a lot more comfortable doing basic fixes and stuff.

Today I spent the day out in rural Kyoto prefecture at a yarn dyeing workshop. This was my third time there and it's always amazing. I spent some time teaching one of the hosts to spin yarn on a drop spindle, and it was just overall a really nice day.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Risla wrote:After spending the last month or so being too freaked out by weird cardiac symptoms to feel safe riding my bicycle, I finally said fuckit yesterday and went out for a ride, and it went fine.
That's good news. It's often the way with anxiety-related symptoms that they go away for a while if you occupy your mind with something else.

However:
Risla wrote:after the first five minutes it was smooth sailing.
How do you sail on a bike? How many hands do you need?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

A brand new Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer just dropped, and omg it looks amazing. And they're promising another one in a month's time. 2018 release is looking almost certain now.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Too many happy things for me lately. My episode of Jeopardy! airs this Friday on your local ABC affiliate in the US. And I mention a conlang! Which reminds me, I need to post about it on here...
linguoboy wrote:
GrinningManiac wrote:Local pronunciation - /ˈtoʊ.stə/
Ah, so now I know where Towcester pastries originated! Cheers.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

kodé wrote:Too many happy things for me lately. My episode of Jeopardy! airs this Friday on your local ABC affiliate in the US. And I mention a conlang! Which reminds me, I need to post about it on here...
Congratulations! My cousin was on Jeopardy! twice (I think "teenage Jeopardy!" back when that was a thing). He won a car the first time, then was forced to admit the second time that he "totaled it" (his words) and lost.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Vijay wrote:
kodé wrote:Too many happy things for me lately. My episode of Jeopardy! airs this Friday on your local ABC affiliate in the US. And I mention a conlang! Which reminds me, I need to post about it on here...
Congratulations! My cousin was on Jeopardy! twice (I think "teenage Jeopardy!" back when that was a thing). He won a car the first time, then was forced to admit the second time that he "totaled it" (his words) and lost.
That's amazing... in a bittersweet way.
linguoboy wrote:
GrinningManiac wrote:Local pronunciation - /ˈtoʊ.stə/
Ah, so now I know where Towcester pastries originated! Cheers.

DesEsseintes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DesEsseintes »

I've started reading stuff on the ZBB again, and even posting here and there! I think that's a happy thing.

So hi! 8)

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:I've started reading stuff on the ZBB again, and even posting here and there! I think that's a happy thing.

So hi! 8)
Yay, Des is back! :mrgreen:
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

I've started a sister-language to O Kanã, which I've changed and it now looks so very Athabaskan and yet it's so satisfying because it's not actually at all Athabaskan in structure, and even the phonology shows significant differences, and so it feels so much more original than if I'd set out to copy Athabaskan languages. I'm loving it so much right now I have a hard time stopping working it.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I am really happy I can code on my own again, after having been unable to do so on my own for over a year and a half. Why this has changed, I do not know. Of course, the first project I start is a genetically-programmed fighting robots world, similar to but different from one I had implemented way back when in college, where genetically-programmed robots fight with each other, with the successful ones reproducing (with mutations) and the unsuccessful ones dropping out each round.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I also bought a laptop so I'd be able to code at coffee shops and I can't wait for it to arrive (but before I will be really able to use it I will need to make it dual-boot Windows and Debian and get it all set up).
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

I sat my last A-Level exam yesterday, woop! I even reckon I've got enough to get into Cambridge: certainly the maths and further maths exams all felt fantastic!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Frislander wrote:I sat my last A-Level exam yesterday, woop! I even reckon I've got enough to get into Cambridge: certainly the maths and further maths exams all felt fantastic!
Congrats! You bought your sabre already?

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

hwhatting wrote:
Frislander wrote:I sat my last A-Level exam yesterday, woop! I even reckon I've got enough to get into Cambridge: certainly the maths and further maths exams all felt fantastic!
Congrats! You bought your sabre already?
I've a sneaking feeling I should know what that is but that my dad hasn't told me.