Native American survival scenario

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Native American survival scenario

Post by Frislander »

Ooh, great big Iroquoian punch-up!

With the China and Taiwan thing, are you proposing a greater foreign presence in these areas than OTL?
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Ooh, great big Iroquoian punch-up!

With the China and Taiwan thing, are you proposing a greater foreign presence in these areas than OTL?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Kind of? I didn't really think that hard into it. It's just the Dutch could throw more weight int colonising as they don't have Spain to worry about (well, they are worrying about Spain but less because of that peace treaty and Charles I is a reliable ally to them in this althist)

The Dutch and Spanish colonised Taiwan in real life during this time period for pretty much the same reasons, but I'm giving them a heavier presence. Also, the Dutch are going to cooperate with the Qing dynasty against the very pirates they made friends with during the Ming in order to get more trade privileges. The Ducth side of Taiwan is still mostly settled by the Hoklo, but the Spanish side is mainly settled by the Spanish with a Macanese minority and an even smaller Han minority (not certain what subgroups, probably some Hoklo). The Hakka presence on the island is practically nonexistent in ATL.

The Mughals will remain the main power of India, and the French will be the major conduit of trade between India and Europe, not the English.

While France is currently no longer the major anti-Habsburg power, it might be that France will be the big empire of the 19th century rather than the British! Or maybe even the Spanish! With the way things are going on, I feel like the union between the Portuguese, Castilian and Aragonese crowns will stay even into the modern day. Modern-day Spain might be a federation with one state for each major linguistic group (of course, within the Castillian state there would be devolution to autonomous regions, like Extremadura, Andalusia and La Mancha) and much less separatism.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I'm currently working on Pamplonese. Here's a translation of Pere urek - Ke ei?:
More: show
Batida! Una guiçona abre lo ate.
“Jay, Juan!” Dize la guiçona xoven. “Como estás?”
“Ben, ben. Mas… por favor, xoven señor, quin forjú?”
“Formí Miguel!”
“Forjú Miguel? Mas quin Miguel?”
“Mas forjú no sabés? Túo cusino! Papáy mío Nicolás.”
“Forjú cusino mío? Eta Nicolás, quin forjé?”
“Nicolás… mama súa Rebeca.”
“Rebeca Torres? Forjé realmente tía! Eta entonces forjú deve cusino mío. Ben dater!”
“Rebeca Torres? Eç! avola mía Rebeca Gaçtía. Lo sinto, Juan. La mèson correcta eç.”
“Sí, lo sinto. Eta ademés, nome mío Juan eç! Formí Antonio!”
In English:
More: show
Knock! A man opens the door.
“Hello, Juan!” says the young man. “How are you?”
“Fine, fine. But… please, young man, who are you?”
“I'm Miguel!”
“You're Miguel? But who's Miguel?”
“But don't you know? Your cousin! My father is Nicolas.”
“You're my cousin? And Nicolas, who is he?”
“Nicolas… his mother is Rebeca.”
“Rebeca Torres? She is indeed my aunt! So you must be my cousin. Welcome!”
“Rebeca Torres? No, my grandmother is Rebeca Garcia. I'm sorry, Juan. I must have the wrong house.”
“Yes, I’m sorry. And besides, my name isn’t Juan! I'm Antonio!”
It's a draft. I changed the grammar something like seven times while writing this, and it will probably change more. Don't count on the words being the same either. The speakers probably come from near the capital, judging by the word choice and syntax. While they are both fluent, Miguel is a native speaker; Antonio is not.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Some ideas on North America: French settle in Illinois country but don't really venture further south. The area is freer of European influence than in OTL until the colony of Karlsland (named after Charles of Brandenburg), a joint venture by Sweden and Pomerania (in ATL inherited in its entirety by the Hohenzollerns, but legally kept semi-distinct from Brandenburg). Swedes, Dutch (mainly form Groningen) and Germans (mainly from Brandenburg, Prussia and various Hansa League cities) all settle there (Louisiana, Mississippi, Mobile). They form a creole of sorts between their languages and the natives, with the primary lexifier being the various Pomeranian dialects. The Germans outnumber the rest of the groups. With the advent of nationalism, the colony saw itself as a German region distinct from but culturally related to Brandenburg and Pomerania. However, the descendants of the Swedes were favoured by the colony over the Germans until the 19th century. Swedes had political control of the colony despite owning very little land and mainly living in the cities when most people were German farmers. This was maintained by making the official language of the colony Swedish and restricting knowledge of written Swedish to the Swedes. In the 19th century, German investors outnumbered Swedish ones and the Swedish language was by then reformed. The Swedish Karlslanders lost their power to the Germans. Like in real life, lots of slaves were imported, and the German attitudes toward blacks were similar to the Code Noir. Today, the majority Karlslanders are black and the largest racial minority are mixed race, but they still consider themselves ethnic Germans. Karlsland was never consdered part of the HRE, despite Pomerania being part of it. In the late 19th century, the area was granted independence as the Kingdom of Karsland (in dynastic union with Hohenzollern) and a second wave of German immigration came (not as big as the immigration of Germans into non-German countries due to political oppression and famine). Originally, Calvinism and Swedish Lutheranism are the official religions, with German Lutherans (which had a very different religious organisation from the Scandinavians, comparable to low church (Germans) versus high church (Scandinavians)) forming the majority. In the late 19th century, the Swedish and German Lutheran churches in Karlsland merged. In 1915, freedom of religion was adopted, making what was the de facto practice of the area for a while de jure. Due to the racist beliefs of the early 20th century king, the country became an independent republic. Standard German is the standard language of the country, but the de facto language is the creole, which, despite substantial Germanisation, is mutually unintelligible with standard German and only somewhat understood by speakers of Low German.

Chicago, called Chicagoua in ATL, is a city in France. Originally founded by a Quebecois, the city was settled more by Henriannans and Irishmen than people from Quebec or France. The Irish name of the city is Siocágua. The city has prominent German, Gaelic and Traatung speaking minorities. It is the largest city in French America, but the capital remains in Quebec City (despite the area around Chicagoua having a much larger population than Quebec both in OTL and ATL).
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

In response to Karlsland, Spain began settling in the area around Beaumont and in the area of the Caddoan Mississippi culture. Failing to attract many Spanish immigrants, they recruit settlers from Austria. Most settlers were from Upper Austria, Tyrol, Lower Austria and Further Austria (Voralberg and some parts of OTL modern Switzerland and Baden-Württemberg) respectively. After eleven years, the settlement stopped because the Austrians only partially assimilated into Spanish culture. They did not intermarry with the indigenous people and retained Austrian traditions and language. The crown suggested bringing in Spanish-speaking Catholic natives from the rest of the Mexican Viceroyalty. Around as thousand came, but the program did not continue due to heavy opposition from the Criollos. This area, called Eastern Tejas, developed a unique culture. Spanish is used as a formal language. Oehsteraijix, the descendant of the various Austrian dialects, is used as the language of inclusion and trust among Austrians as well as in conversations between Austrians and other ethnic groups. The Caddo language is used similarly to Oehsteraijix among the Caddo people and other Amerinds that formed amicable relations with the colony. Spanish is also the daily language of the descendants of Spanish settlers and the earlier mentioned Amerinds from other regions of Mexico. These two groups have mainly intermarried among themselves to form a Mestizo population. While the Mestizos are outnumbered by Amerinds, the Mestizos outnumber any specific Amerind group. Around 48% of settlers are Austrians. The cuisine features very few ingredients not found in the indigenous agriculture, but the dishes are mainly based on the dishes eaten by Austrian peasantry. In the early 19th century, Texas Oriental became separated from the western portion of the state (which had a pretty different history of settlement) and was put outside of the jurisdiction of the Viceroyalty of New Spain. When Mexico became independent, Texas Oriental stayed loyal to the Castilian crown and remains part of Castile to the present day. Oehsteraijer and Spanish are co-official and are both used in the Congress (Congresso del Texas Oriental or Oehstlij Tejas Congres). Oehsteraijix speakers paradoxically consider themselves Austrian but not German while ATL Austrians consider themselves Germans. This is because "doicher" was mainly used, both in the local Spanish dialect and in Oehsteraijix, to refer to the Germans who settled in the Americas during the upheavals of the mid-19th century as well as the Karslanders. These Germans in turn did not see the Oehsteraijers as Germans. Oehsteraijers also form a close-knit ethnic minority in the Texan portion of the Republic of the Rio Grande (consisting the rest of Texas and Mexican provinces of Santa Fe de Nuevo México, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Durango, Nuevo León, and Tamaulipas).
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Karlslanddeutsch: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hjk ... 9O8_umlq44
Oehsteraijix: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i6F ... RuZ9Y0h-qk
Both of these, Pamplonese and Pamplonese Basque are all open to takeover by a new developer.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I realised that I forgot in my analyses of the Swedish-Polish War a crucial factor. The Swedish and English crowns are related by marriage, as both Charles I and Gustavus Adolphus married a sister of George William, Duke of Pomerania and Prussia and Margrave-Elector of Brandenburg. Here's some ideas:
Brandenburg and Pomerania, finding themselves surrounded by hostile forces, ask England for help. England is not part of the conflict, but Charles I is close to Denmark, which is fighting against Sweden. Charles calls for a ceasefire in Germany, while he meets with the Danish king and representatives of George William, Gustavus Adolphus, Frederick (Count-Elector of the Palatine and King of Bohemia) and the Holy Roman Emperor. Frederick's representatives suggest calling the Protestant Union to declare war on Poland-Lithuania, despite him being on the side reinforcing Poland. This is rejected. Ultimately, the negotiations fail to find an answer and the fighting resumes. Charles submits the question of what to do to Imperial Diet of the Britannic Isles. The Scottish and English overwhelmingly support the Swedes, except for the merchants (who want armed neutrality). The Irish delegates said that Ireland would rebel in the case of England joining on the Swedish side. The Guyennese delegates said that they were opposed to joining any side. The Diet burst into angry shouting. Charles sought the opinion of Richelieu and Henry IX, despite his dislike for both of them. Richelieu supported invading Germany, while Henry wanted to follow the Dutch in maintaining a Danish-favouring armed neutrality. Charles' wife, as well as the majority of English and Scottish parliamentarians, was of the opinion that the statements of the Irish constituted treason. In the meanwhile, nearly all the Irish delegates signed an letter claiming that they would offer the crown of Ireland to a Catholic power if Charles did not agree to their demands. Charles responded by arresting the involved and sending an order for the confiscation of their lands. In response, the Irish parliament narrowly passed a resolution affirming the letter and breaking from England. Those who refused to vote for the break drafted a response professing their loyalty to the Crown and declaring Parliament to be illegitimate. This was the beginning of the Irish Civil War. The Royalist side was a broad coalition of Anglo-Irish Catholic lords, the Protestant minority and loyal Catholic dukes. The Papist faction was homogeneously Gaelic and Catholic. Many candidates for the crown were considered until Charles IV was decided, crowned King Seárlas I of Ireland. Spain intervened on the Catholic side. This provoked a broad pro-Swedish feeling, so the remaining parts of the Imperial Diet voted to join the war on Sweden's side. The Dutch were alarmed at this development and joined the Danish side. France and Venice joined the EBI. Savoy and Milan defected from the Holy Roman Empire to join the French and Venetians. Thomas Francis, the brother of the Duke of Savoy, joined the Spanish side. The First Castro War never happens because the Papal States wanted the Farnese to stay on the Spanish side.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I have a lot of ideas stemming from my last post that would change a lot of things currently in the document, but I want some discussion on what I wrote in the last four or five posts because if this is crap then I should revise or come up with something else.

Some changes if the last post I made is accepted by Frislander: I'm not sure if Karlsland and Texas Oriental exist due to a unification of the various Hohenzollern realms after the war. New Ireland definitely won't exist due to Limerick being among the rebelling cities. Maybe, if we ever go into alternate histories within the alternate history, these colonies can exist there (I was looking forward to a hybrid Gascon-Gaelic culture emerging as Henrianne and New Ireland settlers move out west)
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Sorry I haven't been so active on this thread lately, I've been focusing on other things, but I endorse all the work which has gone in so far, and I've made some edits to Oehsteraijix.

Also which country does George William rule?

I think what we could really do with right now are maps: I'm finding it hard to place these states in my head geographically.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

George William rules the Margravaite of Brandenburg (capital: Berlin), which gives him the status of Kurfürst or prince-elector. He also rules the Duchy of Prussia (capital: Königsberg). After the War of the Julich Succession, the Hohenzollerns also got the Duchy of Cleves (Kleve) and Counties of Mark (Hamm) and Ravensberg (Bielefeld). A map

In OTL, the Duchy of Pomerania was disputed by Sweden and the Hohenzollerns for decades until they agreed to split it into a Swedish ruled western half and a Prussian ruled eastern half. In ATL, the Swedes do not pressure the Pomeranians to sign their lands to Sweden in order to gain Hohenzollern support. The Duchy of Pomerania is the state to the north of Brandenburg where the Oder's mouth is.

Here is a sort of accurate map of OTL Europe after the Thirty Years War and before the wars of Louis XIV. Of course, the treaty and a lot of the events leading up to it don't happen in ATL, so Europe looks somewhat different.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Forgot to say, Charles IV is Duke of Lorraine.
Here's a ton of text. It's only one part of the war.

Monsieur Gaston de Bourbon, duc d'Orléans and Louis XIII's brother, marries his daughter to the Philip IV of Spain's son Balthasar Charles (born in 1625 ATL) and claims the French throne. His allies throughout France flock to Spanish army held areas in southern France and Guyenne. Meanwhile, Krzysztof Radziwiłł, one of the major figures in the Calvinist Radziwiłł family (whose combined fortunes made them the most powerful magnates of Lithuania and had private armies larger than the state's) and various Polish nobles defected to the Swedish side in exchange for rule over their land rather than being Swedish subjects (Lithuania would be split into two duchies, one under Swedish control and the other independent). King Władysław IV, who desired land under his own direct rule as well as a similar arrangement for his brother Jan Kazimierz, also defects to the Swedish side in exchange for carving a Grand Duchy from Warmia, Lauenburg and Bütow Land, estates owned directly by the Crown and other nearby areas. In the meanwhile, Copenhagen has been seized by combined Anglo-Swedish forces. The royal family fled to Frederiksborg Castle, which is then also captured. Denmark-Norway becomes a member of the increasingly inaccurately named Empire of the Britannic Isles (I think it will be renamed in 19th century). Royally owned parts of Schleswig-Holstien remain independent of the EBI. Scania, Blekinge, Halland (including the island of Anholt), Gotland and Northern Norway (which is annexed into Lappland) are annexed into Sweden. Trøndelag, Iceland and the Faroe Islands retain Christian IV of Denmark as their ruler, but are held as fiefs of Sweden. Jamtland and Härjedalen are annexed from Trøndelag into Sweden and given autonomy. A council of nobles appointed by each king help administrate the whole of Trøndelag-Jamtland-Härjedalen, but the King of Denmark has autonomy over Trøndelag while the Swedish and local institutions have power over Jamtland and Härjedalen. The Danish monopoly on trade with Iceland and the Faroes end. The islands of Bornholm, Læsø, Saaremaa, Saltholm and Ven are handed over to Sweden, but a small portion of the Saaremaan southwest coast is transferred to England as a free port and base for naval operations in the Baltic. As compensation, the Shetland Islands is given to Denmark by Scotland on the condition that they are allowed to have free trade and borders with Orkney and Charles I gives money from the royal treasury.The treaty determining this is called the Treaty of Copenhagen (1640 or 1641). The islands are renamed Jetland, and the Norn language of Jetland survives as Jetlandic (mutually intelligible with the southern dialects of Faroese) and becomes the main language of Jetland. Scots is still widely spoken, while Danish is generally only spoken by Danish immigrants, lawyers, government officials and accountants, not being understood by the population at large (even among those professions, knowledge is limited to legal terminology and actual grammar is poorly understood). The Dutch, seeing their main ally fall and having terrible relations with Spain, sued for peace. The Dutch terms were rejected, and in 1641, Nieuw-Nederlands was conquered (with a fight). It is not renamed New York and given to the Duke of York like in real life, but rather given as a proprietary colony to a non-royal English favourite of the king within the Reformed Episcopal Church (I have no idea who that favourite is or what it the colony is renamed as). All of the states of the Protestant Union switch to the Swedish side. The Turkish army turns around and marches on Vienna, leaving the Swedes and Tatars to fight in Poland. The Russians enter the war on the side of the remaining magnates who did not defect to Sweden. The Zaporozhian Cossacks are split between supporting the Ottomans and the Russians. After the fall of Vienna in 1644, the war in the HRE ends. The Italian states and the Hohenzollern domains become independent, Poland-Lithuania is split between Sweden, the Ottomans and the various defectors to Sweden. The non-Swedish, non-Ottoman states of Poland become part of the HRE as lands of the Polish Crown (elected by only the nobility of that area), which Władysław abdicates from. The Hohenzollern lands become unified as the Kingdom-in-Brandenburg, a fief of Sweden. The elector status of Brandenburg was transferred to the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The independence of Transylvania from Habsburg Hungary would be recognised. In turn, the Ottomans would hand back the cities they took in their march to Vienna. The states of the HRE are given the rights that they are in the OTL Peace of Westphalia. As in real life, a principal of non-interference and sovereignty applying to the states of the HRE is established. (Known ATL as Transylvanian sovereignty) The Duchy of Lorraine, the Free County of Burgundy and the cities of the Dekapolis, minus Mulhouse, are annexed to France. The negotiations were conducted at Krems and der Donau, while the ceasefire and first treaty were separately signed in Vienna and Regensburg. The terms making up the final treaty were first reached in 1651 during negotiations at Gyulafehérvár in Transylvania (OTL Alba Iulia, Romania), but the ongoing civil war in France between Gaston and the French king delayed agreement on them until 1655 (it was obvious by then that Gaston would probably not become the French king even if the Spanish won). The 1655 agreement was finally realised in the 1661 Treaty of Vienna, when the French war ended (a year after Gaston's death). The terms are generally known as the Peace of Vienna. A traty signed in 1646 between Russia, Sweden and the Ottoman Empire declared status quo antebellum regarding the Russian border with Lithuania, and Russia's sovereignty over Sloboda Ukraine was recognised. The tsar was also recognised as the de jure protector of the Zaporozhian Host and the Orthodox faith in Ukraine, but he did not hold any de facto authority from these titles.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Correction: Blekinge, Halland and Scania, Bornholm are not annexed. Neither are Læsø, Saltholm and Ven. Saaremaa is split as I said. Bohuslän and Gotland are still annexed to Sweden. Northern Norway is not annexed, but is part of the fief of Trøndelag.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Added some changes to Oehteraijix. I tried to find more about Bavarian dialects and Voralburgish on German Wikipedia to make it more accurate, but I don't understand German and the Google translation of the articles suck.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Further correction: the Free County of Burgundy is not given to France.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

While you wait for the other part of the war to be posted (I already came up with the ideas before I posted the first part, but I need to collect my thoughts), here's something I came up with today:

Picard-speaking parts of the Netherlands are split between Calvinists (mainly soft, Catholic-tolerant forms like Remonstrantism) and Catholics. During the French Revolution, if one happens, the Catholics support the French forces invading the country while the Protestants ally with the Dutch. After the revolution, the Picard-speaking areas stay part of the Netherlands, but Catholic schools are established which carry instruction entirely in French. This leads to a gradual decline in the language. In the 1920s, there was a movement to revive the dialects of Tournai and Valencienne (Tornai et Valinchinne) among peoples of both faiths. By then, Picard was only used by the Protestants at home - Dutch was the language of the public sphere for all religions. Thus, in a period when pillarisation would be felt in full force in the rest of the Netherlands, a partial depillarisation happened in the western area of the country. Around 1944, new parties, split into Protestant, Catholic and (much larger by far than the other two) and Labour. The Labour parties formed a coalition called the Labour Convention Party of Gallic Netherlands (APGN). In 1947, the APGN formed a coalition (called the Ch'timi Alliantie) on the national level with the Protestant and Catholic parties to represent regional interests, while all three parties competed on the local level. The parties that dominate in other parts of the country barely garner votes, and the Ch'timi Alliantie usually wins 88% or more of the vote in the area (although less seats, as parts of that area are part of Dutch-speaking states). The standardised language was initially known as Tornaisien because Tournai was the early center of the movement, but as it spread south many protested the name. The name Picard was rejected due to the association of the term with France. It was replaced with the term ch'timi.

A split occurred in 1947 in the Protestant party because party adopted a republican stance (as did the Catholic and Labour party). The pro-monarchy branch allied with the main Protestant party of Flanders, but it faded into obscurity by the early 70s. It was officially dissolved by 1978, with members joining the equivalent of Christian Democratic Appeal. The Ch'timi Alliantie has been included in most governing coalitions, regardless of political orientation) since about 1990, but tends to favour parties that are regionalist, pro-unionism and/or agrarian as coalition partners (Ch'timi voters from the cities vastly outnumber the rural voters, but rural support is generally more reliable, especially for the Catholic party). If there is a non-separatist Frisian party, they probably form a parliamentary group. Within the coalition, social conservatism (Catholics and Protestants) vs liberalism is the main concern, as well as funding for Catholic vs Protestant vs civic historical sites and education laws. All three parties are generally in agreement on other issues. The Protestants and Catholics made an agreement in 1981 to not run candidates against each other due to common goals, but ongoing disagreements make a merger as in most of the Netherlands seem unlikely.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

At the headquarters of the APGN in Tournai, the Alliance has sometimes invited indigenous groups and other ethnic minority parties from around the world.

Unlike the rest of the country, people mainly read local newspapers rather than news from a national pillarised paper. The local political parties never established their own newspapers, and the Alliance didn't have a newspaper until 1953. People generally joined the same unions as in the rest of the country. Broadcasting is the same as in the rest of the country, but 25% of radio and 10% television time on the major is dedicated to content in the local language (which is produced by each of the national networks). In addition, most conservative Catholics also watch/listen to radio and television from France.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The other part

circa 1640, Gaston allied forces and the Spanish take most of the Mediterranean coast of France and Guyenne, connecting Spain by land to the campaign in Savoy, where the land was mostly overrun by Spanish-backed Tomà Fransesch (Thomas Francis) of Savoy. His older brother, Vitòrio (Victor Amadeus I), fled to France. Louis, duc d'Enghien, served as a French general in the campaign against the forces from the Spanish Netherlands. In the beginning of the war, strings of Spanish victories everywhere except in Burgundy meant that the city of Paris itself seemed unsafe, and Louis XIII fled to the countryside. While there, in December 1640, Queen Anne gave birth to the long-awaited heir to the French throne, Louis XIV. The boy was sickly.
Louis d'Enghien transferred to the southern front. Richelieu died in 1642, then Louis XIII died in 1644. In November of that year, young Louis XIV also died. Queen Anne and Mazarin co-ruled until Louis XIV died. After her only son’s death, she began supporting Gaston because Gaston was an ally of her brother, Philip IV of Spain. Even though Gaston was the legitimate heir, Mazarin opposed him. Mazarin feared that Gaston’s first act after reuniting France would be to execute Mazarin and undo all the policies that Mazarin and his mentor Richelieu did to build French power. Mazarin fled from Paris with allies and crowned Henri, Prince of Condé (Louis, duc d'Enghien's father) as Henri V de Bourbon. Henri died in April 1645. The duc d'Enghien became roi Louis XV. The new king, who opposed centralisation as a nobleman, dismissed Mazarin and replaced him with a nobleman (I don’t know who). After being confirmed as king by the few members of the Parlement de Paris loyal to him, Louis XV lead an army to Catalonia. Brandenburg, the Electoral Palatine and other Protestant German states aided Louis XV. Bavaria and various Catholic states near Lorraine allied with Gaston. However, there was no fighting between the German states within the HRE itself.
In 1641, Catalonia and Portugal declared independence because of the unpopular centralising policies of the new king, Philip IV. Many felt that the new policies, such as combining the armies of his various realms into one army and stationing Castilian troops in Catalonia, would lead to diminished political and cultural independence from Castile. Eight hours after Portugal declared independence, João II, Duke of Braganza (King John IV of Portugal in OTL) was given the crown by the Cortes of Portugal. However, Charles I convinced João and the Cortes to give the crown to Odoardo Farnese, Duke of Parma (who had a better claim to the throne than either João or Philip). Odoardo agreed and was crowned rei Eduardo I of the House of Farnésio. As a consequence, Parma and its ally the Duke of Ferrara and Modena switched to the anti-Spanish side. As part of the agreement, João was made Odoardo’s chief minister in Portugal.
In Guyenne, a group of nobles maintained a secret correspondence with Phillip IV, offering to rebel and install Balthasar Charles as King of Guyenne. Bathasar is the son of Elisabeth of France, a sister of Louis XIII, and therefore the legitimate heir in Guyenne (but not in France) if Gaston is not considered legitimate. However, they wanted Balthasar to abdicate from his Spanish titles and renounce the Spanish throne. Philip did not agree to that condition, so nothing came out of the talks, and those nobles remained loyal to Henri, duc de Rohan (Supreme Governor of Guyenne).
After the death of Louis XIV, the Dutch changed their proposal from peace with the nations fighting Spain to an alliance against Spain. The Dutch seized large parts of Brazil, Angola and Portuguese territories in the East Indies, which Portugal wanted back. Charles I needed to balance between the Portuguese and Dutch demands before he could accept the Dutch offer. After negotiations with João, it was decided that the disputed territories in the East Indies would be split between the Dutch and Portuguese. Brazil and the Angolan forts would be under joint administration. This agreement angered Nzinga, Queen of Ndongo and Matambe (part of the OTL modern day Angola and the region of ethnic Kongo), who allied with the Dutch against Portuguese traders. However, she could not break the alliance.
Louis XV and his various allies would likely have been defeated if it were not for constant raids on Spanish territory by the allied Ottoman Empire and its Barbary vassals. The Bey of Tunis invaded Sicily during the war and was reinforced by Turkish troops. Malta was also captured.
In Ireland, Charles I divided confiscated Irish land and made plantations on them. The settlers were diverse, speaking Scots, English and Gaelic, with various denominations being practised. In order to muster support among the Irish, Charles promised to distribute about 20% of the confiscated lands to loyal Catholic lords of Ireland after the war. The lands were mainly in the province of Connacht. In settling the lands, Charles preferred Protestants over Catholics and Reformed Episcopalians over all other Protestants. He encouraged Gaelic-speaking Catholics from the Hebrides to settle in Connacht, and settled Scots-speaking Reformed Episcopalians in largely abandoned areas of the Hebrides. The results of this settlement were establishing a strong Protestant minority in the Highlands and in Ireland, making English and Scots major languages of Ireland and introducing a Scottish influence to Connacht dialects of Gaelic. There was also a redistribution of property ownership from local lords of western Ireland to lords of Leinster, England and Scotland.
In 1660, Gaston died and the fighting had largely ceased, with Louis XV having consolidated control over most of France. The Treaty of London of 1661 ended the war between the European states. The areas of Brazil west of São Paulo were ceded to Spain. That region at the time had no white settlers. Several Portuguese cities (included Ceuta in North Africa and several cities on the Portuguese-Spanish border) were loyal to Philip and were made an autonomous area of Castile. Genoa regained independence and Thomas Francis was made Duke of Milan. Catalonia remained under Spanish rule (and unlike OTL, Rousillion was not annexed to France). In exchange for these concessions made by Portugal, the Dutch, France and Savoy, Spain would recognise Louis XV as the rightful King of France and Guyenne. In addition, Spain would no longer support the claim on Ireland by the House of Lorraine. The Pope refused to recognise the treaty. A coup by the College of Cardinals replaced him with a new Pope, Papa Pius VI. Pius agreed with France and Spain to adopt Gallicanism, the belief that the Catholic Church is subordinate to the state and that both the Pope and kings are jointly in charge of the church in a specific country (called Gallicanism because France was the centre of this belief). Pius also recognised the Treaty of London. After the end of the war, he rallied the Italian states, both those that fought for Spain and those who fought against Spain, to fight the Ottoman forces in Sicily.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

So while on holiday I had a bit of a think about what I was going to do with my Algonquian language project. I knew I had to redo it because what I had wasn't satisfactory, mainly with regards to the phonology, most especially the phonotactics (having codas only permissible word-finally didn't sit well with me) and the accentual system (which felt simplistic and overly constrained by the surrounding consonants in a way I didn't like). So I thought it over again, and radically altered the list of sound changes when I got back. The language is still definitely a Plains Algonquian language, but it has been pulled far more in the direction of Crow than previous versions, at least phonology-wise. This has forced me to let go of one of my most cherished sound change (*r > t), but the payoff for this has been worth it in my view.

I'll detail the phonology as it stands in this post: I'll leave the sound changes till later.

/p t k ʔ/ <p t k 0/‘>
/s ʃ x h/ <s sh x h>
/b~w~m d~l~n/ <b~w~m d~l~n>

<0> indicates that the glottal stop is unwritten word-initially (see below)

The stops and fricatives exhibit little allophony: the sonorants on the other hand exhibit marked positional allophony. They are realised as the stops word initially and as approximants intervocalically and after obstruents. In other contexts they are realised as nasals.

In terms of phonotactics most consonants can appear in all positions. However /x/ does not appear word-initially in native words, /h/ does not occur after consonants and /ʔ/ only occurs intervocalically and word-initially (and for morphophonological reasons is not written in the latter environment).

The vowels are a typical five-vowel system /i e a o u/. However on top of this is an accent distinction between level rising and falling pitches. The level is noticably shorter in duration than the other two, much like the situation in Lithuanian. As a result the rising and falling vowels will be denoted by doubled vowels, with an accent on the first for falling and on the second for rising (so [a âː ǎː] would be written <a áa aá>)

Syllagble structure is CV(C), where any consonant may be in the coda other than the glottal stop. Aside from that there are no other meaningful restrictions on distribution.

As an example, the native name of the language is Daléekommos, which translates as "That which we understand", and is phonemicised as /nanêːkommos/, pronounced [dalêːkomːos]. This is markedly different from the name for the people as a whole (when not talking about individual bands), which is Sakannesansóo, "Our (incl.) people", which is pronounced [sakanːesansôː].

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Is it still spoken in the area around Montana? Also, I wouldn't be too sure about what language the Europeans/colonists that establish contact with them are, as a lot of predictions I made earlier turned out to be false as I advanced in the timeline. Here's the languages ranked by likeliness: English, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Traatɥŋ
The French and English are more likely to borrow an exonym from another native language than to nativise the endonym.

I'm working offline on rewriting most of what I made so far to make it more comprehend able and self-consistent (the recent posts I made haven't been incorporated yet).

Also, I need to figure out who are the Archbishops of Canterbury of the Reformed Episcopalian Church (basically Episcopalian Calvinists, more moderate than the Presbyterians but less than the Arminians) between George Abbot's death and 1662. I wrote down Arthur Hildersham, but he would be too old for that even if he didn't die ATL before Abbot (he does not move to the Americas in ATL though, so I would say that he becomes a prominent theologian within the REC and is perhaps promoted to bishop). And my idea of having Charles I become a simultaneous king-archbishop was ridiculous.
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

mèþru wrote:Is it still spoken in the area around Montana?
Yes, that's definitely staying the same; they moved with the Crow when they were displaced by the Cheyenne and Lakota.
Also, I wouldn't be too sure about what language the Europeans/colonists that establish contact with them are, as a lot of predictions I made earlier turned out to be false as I advanced in the timeline. Here's the languages ranked by likeliness: English, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Traatɥŋ
The French and English are more likely to borrow an exonym from another native language than to nativise the endonym.
There's also a third option of using descriptive terms in the colonial language (e.g. Crow, Gros Ventres, Blackfoot, Brulé, maybe Saulteaux as well?), which I had intended to use for this. I'd picked Les Acharnés (the fierce ones) from French, but if there are better candidates I'll happily take suggestions.
I'm working offline on rewriting most of what I made so far to make it more comprehend able and self-consistent (the recent posts I made haven't been incorporated yet).
Also could you please put the stuff on the war into paragraphs? I haven't even tried to get through it all because I just can't absorb information from a wall of text without spacing like that.
Also, I need to figure out who are the Archbishops of Canterbury of the Reformed Episcopalian Church (basically Episcopalian Calvinists, more moderate than the Presbyterians but less than the Arminians) between George Abbot's death and 1662. I wrote down Arthur Hildersham, but he would be too old for that even if he didn't die ATL before Abbot (he does not move to the Americas in ATL though, so I would say that he becomes a prominent theologian within the REC and is perhaps promoted to bishop). And my idea of having Charles I become a simultaneous king-archbishop was ridiculous.
Maybe [url-=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Morton_(bishop)]Thomas Morton[/url], then bishop of Durham for the first one?

Also, if anyone else on the board would like to become a contributor/collaborator we would greatly appreciate your help.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Frislander wrote:Also, if anyone else on the board would like to become a contributor/collaborator we would greatly appreciate your help.
Just repeating for emphasis.
Also, I would be glad if someone could develop Pamplonese, Pamplonese Basque, Karlslanddeutsch and Oehsteraijix further (obviously it doesn't need to be the same person for all of these, but having one person do both of the first two makes sense)
If anyone is interested in Iroquoian or in making a weird language like Island Carib, you can revive this thread.
Frislander wrote:Also could you please put the stuff on the war into paragraphs? I haven't even tried to get through it all because I just can't absorb information from a wall of text without spacing like that.
Already working on that. It's a habit of mine, as I don't like line spacing and am terrible at knowing when to separate paragraphs. Also everything Verdana (but I've started using Times New Roman more because it has more special character support on my computer). The new document will use 1.15 line spacing and Times New Roman. There will be paragraphs with indents and sections. Information from the culture documents will be incorporated as well.

Thomas Morton is too old. Morton, Hildersham and Abbot were actually all about the same age. Thanks anyway His age is actually the only reason to reject him; he sounds perfect otherwise. I chose Arthur Hildersham because he was one of the people introduced to Henry Frederick by Montague (with Montague being the true power of the church until his death). Abbot was 48 on his election, Bancroft 60, Laud 59. So I want someone between 45 and 60. (The archbishops after the civil wars were generally much older, but the Civil War kind of disrupted the normal religious process.)
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I assembled what I could find about the age of Archbishops of Canterbury upon their appointment starting with Thomas Cranmer. The average is about 59, and each archbishop is about 13 years younger than his predecessor (only one archbishop in the set was older than his predecessor). Not including Laud and his successors, the average age was about 55, and each archbishop was about 12 years younger than his predecessor. The dates I used were not that great (mix ups between date of appointment, confirmation and enthronement, mix up between Julian and Gregorian dates, and I'm missing 6 birthdays and 2 dates of appointment, so I had to just go with a year. FOr one person, I actual got a range of years in which he could have been born instead of an actual year).
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Mary (daughter of Charles I) marries Christian Louis, Prince of Calenburg (also titled as Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, but all of his cousins were also called that). The seat of the Princes of Calenburg stays in Calenburg, so the dynasty is called the Haus Calenburg. As a condition of the marriage, Calenburg could not be divided between sons Because of this, Christian divides the Principality of Lüneburg with his younger brother, George William when he inherits it from his uncle. The larger section ruled by Christian is called the Duchy of Brunswick-Celle, and the smaller section is called the Duchy of Lüneburg-Lüneburg. The title of Prince of Lüneburg stays with Christian. This ends the practice of calling members of their house Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg. While their father, George, is considered the first ruler of the House of Hanover in OTL, Christian is considered the first of the House of Calenburg in ATL. George William's line is called the House of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel-Lüneburg, or just the Haus Lüneburg for short.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I've finished the revised document. There's some new stuff int there. I haven't put it up yet. Should I download it as a new documen or replace the current main document? What do we with the other documents that is supplants?

One of the sections isn't exactly complete because I need to discuss here a total overhaul of the idea of Henrianne. Another isn't complete because I need to fill details like who succeeds George Abbott to finish it. Without the Irish settling in the area around Wilmington, Delaware to Morrisville, Bucks County, I think that the Guyennese would make it the main area of settlement (with OTL Wilmington being their initial capital/port city), rather than starting in the Wyoming Valley (capital being Nuangola, Pennsylvania). I also started making a very approximate map of the world c. 2010 might look in the alternate history based off random ideas that are too earlier to tell if they are good or not. I moved to other things way before finishing because the map probably won't be that useful (I'm certain some of those ideas will turn out to be unfeasible when we get to their eras).

Also, Henrianne is an awful sounding name. Any suggestions for a better one? I think there should be a list of suggestions of names of settlements throughout the EBI colonies.

I had some ideas about international culture, the alternative development of English and, [sarcasm]most importantly,[/sarcasm] tennis that I'll post here later.
kårroť