The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Vijay »

Viktor77 wrote:People down here in Memphis keep asking me "Where are you staying?" to ask where we're living. Is this use of 'to stay' a Southernism?

*Edit* Typo.
I've never heard that from southerners in my whole life, and I've lived almost my whole life here in Austin. I hear this much more often from Indians, though, very often without the inverted word order ("Where you are staying?").

I mean, I guess I can imagine southerners saying this if you recently moved to Memphis and weren't intending to stay long, or something like that. (Or if you were just visiting, of course, but then wouldn't that be normal usage for you, too?). Maybe it depends on context?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Viktor77 wrote:People down here in Memphis keep asking me "Where are you staying?" to ask where we're living. Is this use of 'to stay' a Southernism?

*Edit* Typo.
probably. people say that in scotland too (though usually as "where do you stay?")

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Can we agree to stop saying "attorneys general," please? The plural is "attorney generals." I know that from a purely prescriptivist angle it doesn't make sense to add the plural to the adjective, but it's an unusual word with an adjective after the noun it describes and "attorney generals" is the generally accepted form.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:Can we agree to stop saying "attorneys general," please? The plural is "attorney generals." I know that from a purely prescriptivist angle it doesn't make sense to add the plural to the adjective, but it's an unusual word with an adjective after the noun it describes and "attorney generals" is the generally accepted form.
According to whom?

ETA: This Google ngram is instructive. It shows usage of "attorney generals" remaining basically flat over the last century relative to "attorneys general", which went from roughly the same incidence to nearly nine times greater. So if there's a trend here, it's going quite markedly in the opposite direction to what you have suggested.

Moreover, some of the occurrences of the former are actually "attorney generals'", i.e. plural possessive, which may be an explicit choice to avoid amgibuity, e.g. "Attorney generals' intervention before regulatory agencies" (where "Attorneys general" would make it sound like you were talking about the general intervention of attorneys rather than the intervention of attorneys general).

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Viktor77 wrote:Can we agree to stop saying "attorneys general," please? The plural is "attorney generals." I know that from a purely prescriptivist angle it doesn't make sense to add the plural to the adjective, but it's an unusual word with an adjective after the noun it describes and "attorney generals" is the generally accepted form.
Does this also apply to "brother-in-laws"? The noun definitely takes the plural.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Reminds me of Polish prawo jazdy “driver's license” (lit. “a right of driving”), a noun with a postposed genitive, which has become sucha set phrase that people tend to misspeak by declining the second element instead of the first one.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

May or may not be "innovative" (rather than "retained"), but...

From an Irish-born speaker: I was never to... to mean "I've never been to". ("I was never to New York", for instance).
From another Irish-born speaker: press to mean "cupboard".
From an English speaker: speakative to mean "talkative". Talking about a pet, so possibly a humorous element, but it didn't sound that way.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Salmoneus wrote:From an Irish-born speaker: I was never to... to mean "I've never been to". ("I was never to New York", for instance).
That does sound incredibly Irish. I wonder if that's a Gaelic influence like after + participle constructs or just a preserved archaic feature.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Zaarin wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:From an Irish-born speaker: I was never to... to mean "I've never been to". ("I was never to New York", for instance).
That does sound incredibly Irish. I wonder if that's a Gaelic influence like after + participle constructs or just a preserved archaic feature.
A bit of both? The perfect construction is innovative in English. The closest analogue in Irish is even more recent and much more restricted in usage. (Historically speaking, that is. Recently its use seems to be greatly expanding at least in the speech of L2 speakers.)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I've been mocked for saying 'eclipse, but give it another couple generations and kids'll be surprised to hear that the noun was ever pronounced any other way.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Do people say it that way now?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I do.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Do you mean with the stress on the first syllable ... like E-clips? I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce eclipse that way. Do you still pronounce the verb with final stress? Is it becoming one of those noun-verb pairs with a stress distinction?
Zaarin wrote:Does this also apply to "brother-in-laws"? The noun definitely takes the plural.
I've heard people say "son-of-a-bitches" before, lol.
Pole, the wrote:Reminds me of Polish prawo jazdy “driver's license” (lit. “a right of driving”), a noun with a postposed genitive, which has become sucha set phrase that people tend to misspeak by declining the second element instead of the first one.
It's taken me most of my life to stop my brain from automatically coming out with "slepwalked" as the past tense of "sleepwalk" ...
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Imralu wrote:Do you mean with the stress on the first syllable ... like E-clips? I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce eclipse that way. Do you still pronounce the verb with final stress? Is it becoming one of those noun-verb pairs with a stress distinction?
Same; with stress on the first syllable it sounds like a 90s internet business, back before everything became iWhatever (thanks, Apple). :p

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I'm not clear on whether the first vowel is supposed to be /i/ or /ɛ/.

Also, is it an Indian thing to say "cut it into half" instead of "cut it in half"? I only just noticed this usage yesterday.
Imralu wrote:I've heard people say "son-of-a-bitches" before, lol.
One joke I learned from my parents is "one and one, sum of which is two" -> "one and one, sonofabitch, is two."
Last edited by Vijay on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Vijay wrote:I'm not clear on whether the first vowel is supposed to be /i/ or /ɛ/.
For me it's just a schwa ... it could be /i:/ if I stress the word but that feels like a spelling pronunciation to me ... but definitely not /e/.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Imralu wrote:
Vijay wrote:I'm not clear on whether the first vowel is supposed to be /i/ or /ɛ/.
For me it's just a schwa ...
Yeah, but I mean for people who have stress on the first syllable. Is it E-clips or 'eck lips? :)

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Vijay wrote:
Imralu wrote:
For me it's just a schwa ...
Yeah, but I mean for people who have stress on the first syllable. Is it E-clips or 'eck lips? :)
Ah, yeah ... that makes sense! I'm assuming E-clips just because of my own spelling pronunciation ... but honestly, emagining someone saying it like E-Clips is just weird to me, so it may as well be eck-lips.
________
MY MUSIC

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

For me the noun is [ˈiˌkʰɰɘʔps] whereas the verb is [ɘˈkʰɰɘʔps].
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

I have heard it with the stress on the initial /i/ before, though I tend to associate that with a more rural dialect for whatever (probably biased) reason.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Yay for observing language change in the making!

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Hmm, strange. I guess this isn't the "what pronunciation do you use" thread, but what about "synapse"? I remember consciously deciding to pronounce it with word-final stress, partly by analogy with "eclipse", "ellipse" and "collapse" and partly because I didn't want to have to decide whether to go with stressed /aɪ/ or stressed /ɪ/ in the first syllable--with my current pronunciation I just used reduced /ɪ/~/ə/.

I guess I would probably pronounce the noun "relapse" with first-syllable stress, though. So much for consistency ... and I dunno about "prolapse", since I don't think I've ever actually said it aloud.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I think I just heard someone in a TV commercial say Fredercksburg so it sounds like "Fred-reeks-burg."

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:I think I just heard someone in a TV commercial say Fredercksburg so it sounds like "Fred-reeks-burg."

Sounds like typical Southern Vowel Shift to me and Fredericksburg is in the South.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

linguoboy wrote:
Vijay wrote:I think I just heard someone in a TV commercial say Fredercksburg so it sounds like "Fred-reeks-burg."

Sounds like typical Southern Vowel Shift to me and Fredericksburg is in the South.

That's not what it sounded like to me (there was no diphthongization here, just vowel tensing - unless of course I just heard it wrong), and to be clear, they meant this Fredericksburg. I've been there but never heard anyone pronounce it that way before. And this person otherwise did not have a particularly Southern accent FWIR, though maybe I'll try to pay attention more if I see it again. If I'm lucky, maybe someone will have posted it on YouTube or something, too.