Conlang relay [relocated] (aka "The Cursed Relay")

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: Conlang relay [relocated] (aka "The Cursed Relay")

Post by Ser »

Not down for me.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

A lot of conlang.org sites were down for awhile. According to the mailing list, it was a problem with Dreamhost that has since been resolved.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

It's back up for me
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

The CR'14 forum seems to have moved to a new domain and a few forum type. What's up with that?

And while on this topic, I'm still planning on continuing my PR reconstruction some time, just need to figure out when.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I don't know. Isn't it like a backup?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

To me it looks like Tapatalk bought prophpbb, and automatically moved over all existing discussion boards. The forum still works as far as I can see; I can still login as usual; however, some of the formatting seems to have been messed up a little (in particular, strikethrough). Not too bad though.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

I've made a couple of minor changes to the accent system of Proto-Muyan (still open to alternative name suggestions), to the effect that the glottal accent can no longer occur before coda stops and the high accent can't occur before coda fricatives. The net effect of this is that the glottal accent becomes even more marked, but I'm fine with that. I'm thinking that the accent will be from the loss of coda clusters from Pre-Proto-Muyan, whereby a low appeared before a fricative (a lost coda *h or *s) and a glottal before a lost glottal stop (which will probably have further origins as the outcome of stops in clusters other than with *h), with a high appearing otherwise. This has necessitated the alteration of a sizeable portion of the lexicon but that has now been completed.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Sounds good.

Meanwhile, in my ongoing quest against red links, I have wikified the existing information about the Ndok philosopher Mak'ed ge-Hoi.
@Dunomapuka: He's your character, so feel free to add or remove details as you wish.
@everyone: What other individual people from Akana can you come up with?

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

I wonder whether we should try and have more historic ancestors/conquerors outside the Edastean sphere. I'm currently thinking the Lukpanic sphere could do with some more fleshing out in this regard, though I wonder if the Coastal Westerners could share mythic ancestors with other branches in Eastern, to the extent of having cognate names, and the Isles peoples could perhaps do with something like that as well.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

@everyone: What other individual people from Akana can you come up with?
I'm sorry, but I'm out. I'm afraid my knowledge of real-world history is simply too inadequate to create an believable scenario featuring an alt-historical character.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Actually thinking about there should probably be some naming conventions set down for different peoples/regions if we're going to flesh out the history like this.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Cedh wrote:Sounds good.

Meanwhile, in my ongoing quest against red links, I have wikified the existing information about the Ndok philosopher Mak'ed ge-Hoi.
Bravo!!

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

What sorts of biota/ecosystems might be found in "Antarctica"? I'd like to know so I can get a better picture of the inhabitants and their environment.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Pogostick Man wrote:What sorts of biota/ecosystems might be found in "Antarctica"? I'd like to know so I can get a better picture of the inhabitants and their environment.
http://akana.conlang.org/w/images/8/89/ ... draft2.png

This is the latest draft with regards to climate as we have. The colour scheme is the same as on this map. Mind you I wonder whether the northern "Antarctic" peninsula should be more like Tierra Del Fuego (though I'd be the first to say I'm no expert on such matters).

Either way expect most of it to be desolate ice while the northern tip will be more tundra, scrub and taiga.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Thank you very much!

Just to make sure I have this right (because I'm having a little trouble making sure the colors are correct), roughly north-to-south is Cfa, Dfa, Dfb, Dfc, correct?
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Pogostick Man wrote:Just to make sure I have this right (because I'm having a little trouble making sure the colors are correct), roughly north-to-south is Cfa, Dfa, Dfb, Dfc, correct?
Correct!

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

I'm no expert either, and I'm sure I made mistakes on that map. Akana's Antarctica does come much further north than where Tierra del Fuego is: its northern tip is about 34° S, roughly the latitude of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and Santiago de Chile. (In the northern hemisphere, that's comparable to Los Angeles and Rabat on the west coasts, and the southern ends of North Carolina and Korea on the east coasts.) I guess the big western island, with its coastal mountains, should look more like like Patagonia: maritime along the west coast, much drier in the interior and east (how dry probably depends on how high those mountains are), probably tundra in the far south, and maybe some mediterranean at the north end. The mainland, to which I assigned Cf & Df climates like eastern North America, might actually have more of a seasonal rain pattern (Cw & Dw = dry winters) like northeast Asia apparently has; so you could compare that to Korea and the Russian Far East if you want.

(By the way, it's not a peninsula – it's actually larger than the part of Antarctica that touches the south pole. It only looks smaller because the projection stretches the map so much near the poles.)
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Corumayas wrote: (By the way, it's not a peninsula – it's actually larger than the part of Antarctica that touches the south pole. It only looks smaller because the projection stretches the map so much near the poles.)
For anyone interested, here's how it looks like under a different projection.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Pole, the wrote:
Corumayas wrote: (By the way, it's not a peninsula – it's actually larger than the part of Antarctica that touches the south pole. It only looks smaller because the projection stretches the map so much near the poles.)
For anyone interested, here's how it looks like under a different projection.
That's not counting sea-ice though, which in the winter would increase the "land" are of the polar region significantly.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Some provisional progress. Commentary is invited and welcomed.

It seems that a bit over five years ago, Legolasean wrote a two-sentence article about the continent wherein he names the people "Zashai-kas" 'Sun people'. I've tried to keep reasonably close to that name (taking <z> as an affricate), coming up with a proto-language self-designation Ṭṣaśayk!aso (*ʈʂaʃaj 'sun-INDIR' + *k!as-o 'person-INDIR.PL').

From west to east, some provisional/tentative names for the largest landmasses:

Baylam (< *baj lam 'ocean's end') – That roughly diamond-shaped island with the mountains in the west
Bayceway (< *baj cewaj 'ocean's fist') – The mountainous island below Baylam
Ńjemnǁeṭṣa (< *ɲɟem ŋǁaʈʂa 'cold ground') – "Antarctica" proper
Delmindeye (< *delmi ndeje 'hidden land') – The large turquoise island in the west
Śikǁoṭṣo (< *ʃikǁoʈʂo 'guardians') – The mountain range roughly separating the rest of the continent from the ice cap

My feeling—and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this—is that Baylam would've been reached first by populations coming from southeast Zeluzhia, hence the name. (Maybe another population would've come directly to Ńjemnǁeṭṣa via island-hopping on those green islands? Food for thought…) I figure they may have reached more southern Ńjemnǁeṭṣa from the south of the island after hopping down the coast a bit.

The Guardian Mountains themselves are sort of personified in myth as keeping the Big White at bay. I seem to recall, maybe on the Akana Forums, someone saying that the mountains sort of form the boundary of the maximum extent of the permanent ice cap. The Big White, being the desolate wasteland that it is, is viewed culturally as a sort of natural phenomenon of destruction that would overtake the world if it weren't for the Guardians. This is not to say that the Big White doesn't try, because every year the days end up getting shorter until, in some parts, you get the Long Night.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

Cool! I like the names and the bit of mythology you've come up with so far (and it's nice that you found a way to work in Legolasean's word).

I'm not sure about the migration path though; the northern island-hopping route looks more likely to me. (I think the winds and currents are mostly west-to-east there.) There would probably be a split between the people who move onto the Antarctic mainland and those who explore and populate the western islands, including Baylam; the islanders could certainly colonize the west coast of Antarctica too, but I think they'd probably get there by following the coast down from the north, and/or hopping over from small islands, rather than only crossing from southern Baylam.
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Can I just ask how the work on Proto-T1 (or whatever it's called) is going?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Frislander wrote:Can I just ask how the work on Proto-T1 (or whatever it's called) is going?
The West Tuysafan or the East Tuysafan one?

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Pole, the wrote:
Frislander wrote:Can I just ask how the work on Proto-T1 (or whatever it's called) is going?
The West Tuysafan or the East Tuysafan one?
East Tuysáfan.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Dead.