Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Venting thread

Post by jal »

@Risla: sorry to hear you've been fainting, I hope something good will come out of it now that it's taken seriously.
@Imralu: Seems like a nasty Catch-22! Hope you'll be able to deal with it, and ideally find a solution.

JAL

malloc
Lebom
Lebom

Post by malloc »

I am missing half a dozen teeth because I neglected to take care of them when I was younger. I knew that I needed to brush more often, get cavities filled, and so forth, but just couldn't be bothered. I know that many people despise me, and quite frankly they are absolutely right to. I am a horrible person.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I haven't seen a dentist in, like, a year or so. And even then it after another year or two of not seeing a dentist, and only because one of my teeth went unbearably wrong.

I have been brushing my teeth only once in a few weeks — basically only after my teeth or the inside of my mouth feels bad.

So, no, you're not the most horrible there is.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

My younger brother returned from a visit to the dentist with something like eleven cavities once. After paying to have them filled (either we didn't have dental insurance at the time or it didn't cover much of the total cost), our dad watched him like a hawk every night to make sure he brushed and flossed properly.

ObVent: Someone in my office hasn't muted their computer. Throughout the day I hear the chirpy sound of e-mail notifications, but whenever I prowl around to try to determine where it's coming from, it stops. This has been driving me batty all week/

malloc
Lebom
Lebom

Post by malloc »

Pole, the wrote:I haven't seen a dentist in, like, a year or so. And even then it after another year or two of not seeing a dentist, and only because one of my teeth went unbearably wrong.
Sure, but I am flat-out missing a bunch of teeth because of my extreme negligence.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

linguoboy wrote:This has been driving me batty all week/
If it's incoming e-mail, you could send an e-mail to "everyone" repeatedly until you have pinned the culprit down. Or, you could just threaten with it and have your co-workers rat them out for fear of getting e-mail bombed by you :).

JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

jal wrote:
linguoboy wrote:This has been driving me batty all week/
If it's incoming e-mail, you could send an e-mail to "everyone" repeatedly until you have pinned the culprit down.
With binary search, you can do it in logarithmic time!

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Just had to send an ultimatum to my new student hire. He was supposed to fill out paperwork this week but hasn't shown up and hasn't responded to my e-mails. The whole process has been a nightmare in no small part due to the needlessly convoluted hiring software we use combined with bad staffing. It took me half an hour to find someone who could get into the system this morning to find the candidate's phone number and, since it's long distance, to dial it I either need to use my personal phone or dig up the six-digit code for dialing out from my work phone.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Etymonline has suddenly changed it's layout, and now I'm totally confused and I hate it :(.

JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Firefox has changed its settings layout and now instead of a neatly structured preferences tool, they've dumped everything on one page, Chrome-style.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have to put myself in the camp of those who generally hates changes unless they are clearly obvious improvements. New is not better and old is not worse.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

So right now I'm pretty infuriated by IT. Basically for university I had decided to route my university email through my own email client (Outlook/Windows Mail), but for some reason on my laptop I had made a typo for the outgoing mail server (I wrote "stmp" rather than "smtp"). But I've only gone to IT and found this out just now, after weeks of it not working properly and me not knowing about it. So this has meant I've missed out on booking for things such as sign-language classes, gym inductions, and even has prevented me from sending out a supervision assignment (I only found out it hadn't sent when my supervisor sent me an email when I missed the deadline). Probably the most annoying thing though is that it probably has meant that I've missed out on booking for the CUGCR fresher's formal this evening (which I should really be at seeing as at the last two practice nights I have been the only fresher present), which sucks because I'd been looking forward to it and it was actually going to be my first formal (I've been missing out on my college ones simply due to not having booked early enough). :cry:
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Frislander wrote:So right now I'm pretty infuriated by IT(...) but for some reason on my laptop I had made a typo
You are infuriated by IT for making a typo yourself? And you didn't notice, for weeks, that you didn't receive any e-mail from the university, after not testing whether the rerouting worked in the first place? I mean, this is a venting thread and we're not supposed to fire back, but this is pretty daft, Frislander...

JAL

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

jal wrote:
Frislander wrote:So right now I'm pretty infuriated by IT(...) but for some reason on my laptop I had made a typo
You are infuriated by IT for making a typo yourself? And you didn't notice, for weeks, that you didn't receive any e-mail from the university, after not testing whether the rerouting worked in the first place? I mean, this is a venting thread and we're not supposed to fire back, but this is pretty daft, Frislander...
OK, maybe I didn't really put it the right way.

Firstly when I said "annoyed by IT", I meant annoyed by the technology not the people who work with it (which means I should have reprhrased that but yeah), and just how a single solitary typoe can completely fuck you over.

Secondly I should probably have made clear that my main anger is really directed at myself for being so damn stupid like that.

Thirdly, the receiving worked fine, which is probably why I didn't notice it for ages, it was just the outgoing one (the SMTP rather than the IMAP).

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, Frislander! That sucks. Good luck with your studies and university life anyway, though!

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Rhetorical question: Why do people (usually cis straight males) have to make victims of others in order to qualify things as bad (like calling things they don't like or things of bad quality "gay" or "lame")
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

That's weird that your mailing software didn't catch that. I'm not an expert of mailing protocols, but I tried an equivalent thing using Gmail as the client and it complained instantly at not being able to connect to “stmp”.

Either that, or your university routing somehow accepts traffic to the erratic domain and fails silently when trying to actually use it.

I'm sad.

I had a thought that it would be fun to buy a new phone model. My current one is kind of okay — it's from 2010 and I don't need any unnecessary fireworks, but the RAM and the battery life could see improvement.

So I tried searching for a phone model that could suit me. My current phone has a sliding physical keyboard. I tried to look for a more modern equivalent, but most of what I found were four-five year old models that are not available anymore.

The one exception was Blackberry Priv. (Pretty funny name for a phone with a modern operating system.) It looks nice, has insides that would probably satisfy my needs for next 10-20 years, but is gigantic in comparison to my current device and has a gigantic price. It would be quite funny to have on myself a device more expensive than the computer I'm writing this post on.

Long story short, I'm a bit frustrated that the only device that has came up in the last three years and fits my needs (sliding QWERTY keyboard) is also a device exceeding my everyday needs by orders of magnitude.

I guess I'll just one day move one to a generic mini-phablet with a battery lasting a day and a screen glass lasting a week…

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Pole, the wrote:
That's weird that your mailing software didn't catch that. I'm not an expert of mailing protocols, but I tried an equivalent thing using Gmail as the client and it complained instantly at not being able to connect to “stmp”.

Either that, or your university routing somehow accepts traffic to the erratic domain and fails silently when trying to actually use it.
The software designers deserve a lot of blame here. If something as basic as SMTP doesn't work, give the user immediate feedback.
Pole, the wrote: I guess I'll just one day move one to a generic mini-phablet with a battery lasting a day and a screen glass lasting a week…
Heh. It's actually intriguing to watch these things sell just because they're pretty much the only more or less decent phones on the market.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Ars Lande wrote:
Pole, the wrote:

The software designers deserve a lot of blame here. If something as basic as SMTP doesn't work, give the user immediate feedback.
In this case I think it's actually people at Microsoft specifically. As I'd said I'd routed the thing through my mail client, but as you notice it didn't bring up an error message every time I tried to send something by mail. What was actually happening was that all the mail was going into my "Outbox" (basically storage for to-be-sent mail), but the program didn't tell me this either, so I assumed it had actually gone. So clearly someone at Microsoft when designing this thing must have thought an error message would be too scary for the customer, so they designed this outbox instead, without then considering the ramifications of such a feature if people were unaware with stuff not being sent out (because the Outbox is not a feature I had been aware of previously, which meant that even though I'd set it up wrongly to begin with I didn't pick it up till what must be nearly 3 weeks later, if not longer.

And then when it was set up right it automatically sent the mail anyway, so I had to deal with the flood of awkward responses to the stuff which should have arrived a week or two weeks ago (including but not limited to an email from the chaplain expressing concern for a sprained ankle which had healed by last Friday, and an email regarding my inuiries about antivirus from before I even came to Cambridge two weeks ago).

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Bitter experience has taught me to check my sent box to see whether the stuff I sent has really gone.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

mèþru wrote:Rhetorical question: Why do people (usually cis straight males) have to make victims of others in order to qualify things as bad (like calling things they don't like or things of bad quality "gay" or "lame")
I'm not the kind of person who refuses to reply to rhetorical questions.

As a non-native speaker, I have heard the word lame as meaning "shoddy" way before I learned that it originally meant "crippled".

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

As a native speaker who's also kinda gay, I first learned the word "gay" when someone meant 'stupid' and called me that. Then I asked my brother what it meant, he told me broadly what it meant to be homosexual, and I was puzzled because I had no idea why someone would call me a man who likes other men in the particular discourse context where they said I was "gay." Then he told me some people also use it to mean 'stupid'.

I've definitely heard "lame" far more often in the sense of 'stupid' than in its literal sense.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

As a child, I first learned „chuj” in the meaning of a bad behaving male (a “dickhead”), and only later I realized it's vulgar for “penis”.

On the other hand, I learned „pedał” is a bad word after I used it in its non-slur meaning (“pedal”) and then was accused by an adult of using it unknowingly as a slur (approximately, “faggot”).

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

Pole, the wrote: On the other hand, I learned „pedał” is a bad word after I used it in its non-slur meaning (“pedal”) and then was accused by an adult of using it unknowingly as a slur (approximately, “faggot”).
Funny, in French pédale has the same dual meaning.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ryusenshi wrote:
mèþru wrote:Rhetorical question: Why do people (usually cis straight males) have to make victims of others in order to qualify things as bad (like calling things they don't like or things of bad quality "gay" or "lame")
I'm not the kind of person who refuses to reply to rhetorical questions.

As a non-native speaker, I have heard the word lame as meaning "shoddy" way before I learned that it originally meant "crippled".
first of all, that's not a rhetorical question, it's an idle question. rhetorical questions are ones you "ask" to prove a point or instantly answer yourself.

secondly, as a native speaker that was roughly what happened to me too. i'd only use it in its literal sense to talk about animals, not people, like "lame duck"

i first learned the word gay when a teacher came up to my class to tell someone else in the class off for homophobic bullying. she didn't want to single anyone out, so she told everyone, but she had to explain what it meant first. i quite appreciate that, looking back, because i'm pretty sure it was still illegal under section 28 or 2A to """promote homosexuality""", whichever one was valid in scotland. (I was 10, this would be 1998? anyway it might not be illegal per se, the law was always deliberately vague)