British Romance Language Collab

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Re: British Romance Language Collab

Post by gokupwned5 »

36) Should we offer the King’s daughter to the King of Wessex to form a dynastic union and possibly strengthen our alliance? (Still working out the names).
We will accept the marriage offer.

37) We have fast-forwarded about 200 years to the time of King Alfred of Kent (Alfred the Great in our timeline). He is trying to unify the entire Heptarchy but we, as well as Wessex, are uncertain about losing our independence. What should we do?
We will remain independent, but incorporate Wessex into our lands.
-

New Questions:

38) Should we accept any loanwords from Old English?
a) Yes, but adapt them to our phonology.
b) Yes, but besides vowel length distinctions, take in new phonemes such as dental and velar fricatives.
c) No, make calques of said words instead.
d) No.
e) Other.

39) The Vikings invade around the same time that Alfred unites Kent, Essex, East Anglia, and Northumbria into England. They make England a vassal state of their expanding empire in the North Sea and have their eyes set on Scotland, Ireland, and Britannia. How do we react to this situation?
a) We try to fight them off.
b) We ignore them.
c) Other.

40) Regardless of the outcome of #39, there will be interaction between Britannians and Viking settlements in England. Should we accept any loanwords from Old Norse?
a) Yes, but adapt them to our phonology.
b) Yes, but besides vowel length distinctions, take in new phonemes such as dental fricatives, velar fricatives, but not front rounded vowels besides /y/.
c) Yes, but besides vowel length distinctions, take in new phonemes such as dental fricatives, velar fricatives, and front rounded vowels.
d) No, make calques of said words instead.
e) No.
f) Other.

You have until Wednesday, November 22, at 01:00 UTC to vote. Before we get into Old Britainese, I would like to delve into the world-building aspect of this a bit and show you guys some examples of what Proto-Britainese looks like. What should I translate?
Last edited by gokupwned5 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ »

38. b
39. a, but if someone comes up with a sensible plan of cooperation with Vikings, I'll vote for that
40. The 2nd b, I think you made a mistake when giving letters to the answers
In Budapest:
- Hey mate, are you hung-a-ry?

Themasteroflol
Niš
Niš

Post by Themasteroflol »

38. A
39. A, but I agree with ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪. If we can ensure our survival, cooperation would be great, but if not we will have to defend our borders (and its villages).
40. A

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

How about if we send an offering to the Vikings as a sign of wanting peace?

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ »

Well, I was thinking of something more like a partnership and not being a vassal, but I have no idea how the Danes could accept such a proposal.
In Budapest:
- Hey mate, are you hung-a-ry?

Artaxes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Artaxes »

38.a
39.b
40.a

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

38. b
39. a
40. c
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ wrote:Well, I was thinking of something more like a partnership and not being a vassal, but I have no idea how the Danes could accept such a proposal.
Maybe we could tell the Danes that we will assist them in conquering the land of other nearby nations. Our armies could work together, and maybe we could ask to get something out of it that would benefit us, like more land and resources.

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

Would anyone be interested in taking over this project for me? I have found that it is very time consuming to be world-building and conlanging this much while still trying to balance my time with school. Anyone interested? Here is the current vote count for this series of questions.

38) Should we accept any loanwords from Old English?
a) | 2 votes
b) | 2 votes
c)
d)
e)

39) The Vikings invade around the same time that Alfred unites Kent, Essex, East Anglia, and Northumbria into England. They make England a vassal state of their expanding empire in the North Sea and have their eyes set on Scotland, Ireland, and Britannia. How do we react to this situation?
a) | 3 votes (2 of them will reconsider if someone proposes a good cooperation plan)
b) | 1 vote
c)

40) Regardless of the outcome of #39, there will be interaction between Britannians and Viking settlements in England. Should we accept any loanwords from Old Norse?
a) | 2 votes
b)
c) | 2 votes
d)
e)
f)

Themasteroflol
Niš
Niš

Post by Themasteroflol »

I'm busy with school and projects of my own, so I can't take over for you. Not to mention my knowledge of the region/time period is limited.

Might it be an idea to change the 'format' of this project, so to speak? Instead of having daily polls with constant updates, we could have weekly or bi-weekly polls, with big updates. Then you could do the updating on days where you actually have the time. In the lulls between updates, we'd suggest new word coinages, loan words, and the next historical phase. (I.e. 'Invasion of the Vikings', 'unruly celts' whatever fits our timeline). Not to mention that since we're in a different timeline, we can probably expect there to be a different Europe developing.

You have to do what works best for you, but if it's simply a matter of the workload being too big we could always spread that out more evenly and change the nature of the project a little so it's more of a 'suggest things and vote on important linguistic stuff' project, rather than one where you constantly have to come up with everything and then we vote on it and perhaps slightly tweak it.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

38) e: Yes, but adapt them to our phonology, except that the allophones [ç, x] of coda /h/ are borrowed like that.
39) b
40) a (regarding choices b and c, what velar fricatives? WP tells only of an allophone [ɣ])
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

spanick
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spanick »

I’m jumping in pretty late but this is a very cool thread. I vote:
38. A
39. A
40. A

I also second what Themasteroflol said about changing the format to meet your needs.