Gartul, p.4- Alphabet

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Universeal12
Niš
Niš

Gartul, p.4- Alphabet

Post by Universeal12 »

Finally. I’ve gotten to the alphabet! Here it is.

I tried to make it, aesthetically, like a futuristic-looking alphabet. I don’t entirely know if it worked. But I like it.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome!
Attachments
EA324220-FF0C-47A4-B1B0-978F402CE75D.jpeg
EA324220-FF0C-47A4-B1B0-978F402CE75D.jpeg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

smii
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Gartul, p.4- Alphabet

Post by smii »

So your phonology is:

/m n ɳ ɲ/
/p b t d tʃ dʒ ɟ k g/
/f v s z ʃ χ h/
/w r l j/

/i e ə a u/
/ia ai ue uə ua au/ (I'm interpreting /uə/ how you wrote it, rather than /ø/ or /œ/ like you described)

but this doesn't really match up to the alphabet - you miss out sounds like /ɳ/ and /ɲ/, and add letters like Q and O for no real reason.

The alphabet should write your conlang, not English: you should have one glyph for each phoneme, maybe using a digraph for tʃ, dʒ and the diphthongs. And if you do use a digraph, don't just go for +H - if you really want to not have one glyph for each character, try to use another letter, ideally one that is rarer in your language, and doesn't exist in clusters. But generally speaking, one glyph should equal one phoneme, with no extra glyphs or spare phonemes unless you can explain them historically, which, IMO, is more effort than its worth if you don't have a parent language.

The actual glyphs look fine for a typed font, which I'm assuming a 'futuristic' font would aim to be. I try to avoid making scripts because I'm awful at it, so I'm not really one to give tips here, but you might want to think about handwritten versions as well, if you enjoyed this side more than coming up with a phonology.
Bish Bash Rabadash

yangfiretiger121
Lebom
Lebom

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Another way to set your alphabet apart is using a single letter for contrasting phonemes. For example, my yet-to-be-completed conlang, Basic, uses the letter c for [s, z].

smii
Sanci
Sanci

Post by smii »

yangfiretiger121 wrote:Another way to set your alphabet apart is using a single letter for contrasting phonemes. For example, my yet-to-be-completed conlang, Basic, uses the letter c for [s, z].
In a romanization or native alphabet?
Bish Bash Rabadash

yangfiretiger121
Lebom
Lebom

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Native. Thus far, the Basic alphabet is as follows: A [a], ל [b, p], C [s, z], Д [ʧ, j], Δ [d, t], Ã [ɛ], Я [f, v], ה [g], Ш [h], À [ɪ, y], Ѵ [l], Ӡ [m], Ϯ [n], Å [ɔ], Ħ [ɾ, r], Â [ʉ]. Mind you, the native speakers have no idea about how the sounds are transcribed on Earth.