Quickie: <uy>

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Quickie: <uy>

Post by alice »

Aside from Dutch, where it's something of an archaism, are there any languages which use this?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Quickie: <uy>

Post by Salmoneus »

The letters u and y in succession? Well yeah, most languages that use both <u> and <y>, I assume. Or specifically as a digraph to indicate a diphthong or vowel (i.e. both letters belong to the same syllable)? Well yeah, obviously, <y> is a really common way to indicate /j/, which is a common second element of diphthongs.

To give some concrete examples:
English: "guy"
Spanish: "muy"
Turkish: "uygulama"
Vietnamese: "ruy-băng"
Cebuano: "luyluy"
Quechua: "asuy"
etc.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Obvious, really, if you put it that way. More restrictively: are there phonemic diphthongs written <uy>, not just sequences of /u/ + /j/?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Vietnamese seems to use it to distinguish/ wi/ from /uj/..
That is, {uy } spells /wi/, because Y is a vowel. {W}Is not used.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I thought <uy> in Vietnamese was supposed to be [y]. :o

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

alice wrote:Obvious, really, if you put it that way. More restrictively: are there phonemic diphthongs written <uy>, not just sequences of /u/ + /j/?
Yes, English. <guy> is /g{j/, not /gu.j/.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Salmoneus wrote:
alice wrote:Obvious, really, if you put it that way. More restrictively: are there phonemic diphthongs written <uy>, not just sequences of /u/ + /j/?
English <guy> is arguably better analyzed as <gu> /g/ (as in guild, guard, guest, guess) + <y> /aɪ/ (as in try, fly, cry), though. The only other native or naturalized English word with the putative <uy> = /aɪ/ correspondence seems to be "buy", and the resources I have looked at tend to favor classifying this as <bu> /b/ + <y> /aɪ/, which is admittedly a bit unintuitive but makes for a simpler overall analysis of English spelling patterns, as it takes care of "build" and (one pronunciation of) "buoy" alongside "buy" (see A Survey of English Spelling, by Edward Carney, and Dictionary of the British English Spelling System, by Greg Brooks).

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

{Yippie cuyay} &{ van Nuys} are 2 othe r examples,though both probably generalized from other English words.
Edit: well, I've *seen* it spelled{ cuyay},so it must have seemed tp be the most logical spelling for someone.
Edit2: the Cuyahoga river probably helped with that.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Sumelic wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:
English <guy> is arguably better analyzed as <gu> /g/ (as in guild, guard, guest, guess) + <y> /aɪ/ (as in try, fly, cry), though. The only other native or naturalized English word with the putative <uy> = /aɪ/ correspondence seems to be "buy", and the resources I have looked at tend to favor classifying this as <bu> /b/ + <y> /aɪ/, which is admittedly a bit unintuitive but makes for a simpler overall analysis of English spelling patterns, as it takes care of "build" and (one pronunciation of) "buoy" alongside "buy" (see A Survey of English Spelling, by Edward Carney, and Dictionary of the British English Spelling System, by Greg Brooks).
and Dutch loans, e.g. Stuyvesant /staivəsənt/; however, Schuylkill /skuwkəl/
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.