The translations thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

The translations thread

Post by Travis B. »

Here is a thread for translations of texts translated from other languages into our conlangs (or into other natlangs if you wish). I figured I needed a better place for my translations of the Lord's Prayer and the Seven Kill Stele than the conlang fluency thread.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The translations thread

Post by Travis B. »

Xeru-də=k'ə=zə Tåz-ni,
heaven-DEF.S.M=LOC=ATTR father-1.P
[xeɾuˈdɐkʼɐzɐ ˈtʰɔzni]
Our Father who art in heaven,

kih-yi=no səllə-se-n-yin-še.
name-2.S.M=PAT holy-CAUS-IPFV-3.S.F-SJV
[ˈkʰihjino sɐlːɐˈsenjinɕe]
Hallowed be thy name.

Ts'əy-yi law-še.
kingdom-2.S.M come.PFV-SJV
[ˈtsʼɐjːi ˈlæwɕe]
Thy kingdom come.

Kuha-yi la-y-še
will-2.S.M do.PFV-3.S.M-SJV
[ˈkʰuhæji ˈlæjɕe]
Thy will be done

xeru-də=k'ə ġá-yə row=lo lox-də=k'ə.
heaven-DEF.S.M=LOC exist.IPFV-3.S.M way=INST earth-DEF.S.M=LOC
[xeˈɾudɐkʼɐ ˈɣɑjɐ ˈɾowlo ˈloxdɐkʼɐ]
on earth as it is in heaven.

Nit=tša k'aw-t-e əts'id-ni k'o duz=k'ə he-ri,
1.P=DAT day-ADJ-S.F bread-1.P day PROX.S.F=LOC give-3.S.F
[ˈnitʰtɕʰæ ˈkʼæwtʰe ˈɐtsʼidni ˈkʼo ˈduzkʼɐ ˈheɾi]
Give us this day our daily bread,

nit=tša rəx-tsə-l-ni neha-ri,
1.P=DAT trespass.IPFV-GER-P.F-1.P forgive-3.S.F
[ˈnitʰtɕʰæ ˈɾɐxtsʰɐlni ˈnehæɾi]
and forgive us our trespasses,

nit=tšak' rəxə-l-wu=zə ts'ir neha-n-lå-wo row=lo,
1.P=ALL trespass.IPFV-PFV-3.P.M=REL DIST.3.P.M forgive-IPFV-1.P-3.P.M way=INST
[ˈnitʰtɕʰækʼ ˈɾɐxɐlwuzɐ ˈtsʼiɾ neˈhænlɔwo ˈɾowlo]
as we forgive those who trespass against us,

əts box-tsə=tšak' šu šåk-ni,
and tempt.PFV-GER=ALL NEG lead-1.P
[ɐtsʰ ˈboxtsʰɐtɕʰækʼ ɕu ˈɕɔkʰni]
and lead us not into temptation,

əts hare=k'əl rey gəb-ni.
and evil=ABL rather save-1.P
[ɐtsʰ ˈhæɾekʼɐl ˈɾej ˈgɐbni]
but deliver us from evil.

(This is not typical Old Laqar, because Old Laqar is normally pretty strongly left-branching and SOV, and yet to follow the traditional (English) wording used here I needed to right-branch in places. This is also why I omitted the doxology, because I would have had to change the wording around significantly from the English wording I was following.)
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Xeru-də tol-yam yər-it key=tšak' lah-na-y-wo.
heaven-DEF.S.M many-P.M thing-P.M front=ALL bring-IPFV-3.S.M-3.P.M
[ˈxeɾudɐ ˈtʰoljæm ˈjɐɾitʰ ˈkʰejtɕʰækʼ ˈlæhnæjwo]
Heaven brings forth innumerable things to nurture man.

Xeru-də=tša ts'ü=tšak' liġ-tsə=tša=zə may-ə=zə yår šu ġəla=tša ġá-yə.
heaven-DEF.S.M=DAT back=ALL pay-GER=DAT=REL good-S.M=REL thing NEG mankind=DAT exist.IPFV-3.S.M
[ˈxeɾudɐtɕʰæ ˈtsʼytɕʰækʼ ˈliɣtsʰɐtɕʰæzɐ ˈmæjɐzɐ ˈjɔɾ ˈɕu ˈɣɐlætɕʰæ ˈɣɑjɐ]
Man has nothing good with which to recompense Heaven.

Lüy-se. Lüy-se. Lüy-se. Lüy-se. Lüy-se. Lüy-se. Lüy-se.
die-CAUS die-CAUS die-CAUS die-CAUS die-CAUS die-CAUS die-CAUS
[ˈlyjse ˈlyjse ˈlyjse ˈlyjse ˈlyjse ˈlyjse ˈlyjse]
Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

There was a Lord's Prayer thread a long while back. I think I have a saved copy of it on my other computer, which I want to check to see how much my translation has changed between then and now, even though it's the same language ....

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
Poswa:
This is a very loose translation. Both culturally and syntactically. I will give notes beneath each line. I'm not good at glossing, but I'll do my best.

Mavwatšose siplapas,
father-1ps-2e fate.rescue-GEN
Our Father in Heaven,
(This is a feministic culture. So much so, that the formal word for father is simply a derived form of the word for mother, and is one syllable longer. The word for Heaven is given the genitive, not the locative, because it is seen as a state of being rather than a place.)

šupsabepob šavvybob.
name-2ps-3.IMP revere-3.IMP
may people revere your name.
(Uses active voice, not passive.)

Šipafie tšapwi; tšes pubob,
kingdom-2ps appear-1ps.PASS-IMP divine.will-2ps-GEN enact.3ps-IMP
Your kingdom come, your good things be done
(The word for "kingdom" is gender-neutral. Tši means "divine will".)

labbios, siplapas pelu.
gravity.LOC-WHILE fate.rescue-WHILE identical
down here, as they are in Heaven.
(Heaven is not equated with the sky, but with freedom, meaning that the metaphor of gravity keeping people on Earth is still relevant.)

Tafoppub sažžas
trout-1PS-ACC-INCH-2ps.IMP today-WHILE
Give us our trout today.
(Agriculture is unknown, but fish are plentiful, and by far the largest and most nutritious available fish is the trout. I decided to leave the translation of the Gk epiousios completely out, as I mentioned in another thread.)

wa dživabambi bebbi,
and sin-1ps.BEC-2p-IMP forgive-2p-IMP
and forgive us after we sin against you,
(The becausative here is rather like "clean" ---> "clean up after".)

dživažombos bebabos.
sin-1ps.PASS-BEC-1ps-WHILE forgive-1ps-WHILE
as we forgive people after they sin against us.

Tša žapam pimappepwi
next bait.LOC bubble-REFL-NEG-1ps.PASS.IMP
Don't lead us into temptation
(I'm not sure what to do here. There are three different translations of this sentence, and I have no more standing than anyone to tell which is the closest to the original. I decided to stick close to home and go with the translation I learned in school.)

Putše wibum žapožwub
choice-2ps evil-LOC rescue-2ps.IMP
Instead rescue us from evil.

Tši.
divine.will
Amen.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Nexå-də k'itš-wə=k'ə=zə Wika ket-yet=tša=zə Keya te,
sky-DEF.S.M under-3.S.M=LOC=REL light_being king-P.M=DAT=REL ring three
[ˈnexɒdɐ ˈkʼitɕʰwɐkʼɐzɐ ˈwikʰæ ˈkʰetʰjetʰtɕʰæzɐ ˈkʰejæ ˈtʰe]
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Ǝts'a råw-yit-wo=k'ə=zə Lawə šey-et=tša=zə kan əts páġ,
stone hall-P.M-3.P.M=LOC=REL earth_being lord-P.M=DAT=REL two and five
[ˈɐtsʼæ ˈɾɔwjitʰwokʼɐzɐ ˈlæwɐ ˈɕejetʰtɕʰæzɐ ˈkʰæn ɐtsʰ ˈpʰɑɣ]
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Lüy-tsə=tša hoxe-wat-əm=zə Lüy-yod-əm=zə Mol-it=tša=zə li əts páġ,
die-GER=DAT doom-PART.PASS-P.M=REL die-PART.ACT-P.M=REL person-P.M=DAT=REL four and five
[ˈlyjtsʰɐtɕʰæ hoˈχewætʰɐmzɐ ˈlyjːodɐmzɐ ˈmolitʰtɕʰæzɐ ˈli ɐtsʰ ˈpʰɑɣ]
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

Gåw-e=zə k'uh-wə=k'ə=zə Gåw-ə=zə Šey-də=tša=zə såx
dark-S.F=REL chair-3.S.M=LOC=REL dark-S.M=REL lord-DEF.S.M=DAT=REL one
[ˈgɔwezɐ ˈkʼuhwɐkʼɐzɐ ˈgɔwɐzɐ ˈɕejdɐtɕʰæzɐ sɔx]
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

Ukə-l-dim kin-rå mawe=k'ə=zə Murdor-de Nora-de=k'ə.
shadow-P.F-DEF.P.F lie.IPFV-3.P.F place=LOC=REL Mordor-DEF.3.S.F land-DEF.3.S.F=LOC
[ˈʔukʰɐldim ˈkʰinɾɔ ˈmæwekʼɐzɐ ˈmuɾdoɾde ˈnoɾædekʼɐ]
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Kå-yəm=zə dar=no nuk'a-ts-wo=tša=zə Keya Såx, dar=no ġå-ts-wo=tša=zə Keya Såx,
all-P.M=REL 3.P.M=PAT rule.IPFV-GER-3.P.M=DAT=REL ring one 3.P.M=PAT find.PFV-GER-3.P.M=DAT=REL ring one
[ˈkʰɔjɐmzɐ ˈdæɾno ˈnukʼætsʰwotɕʰæzɐ ˈkʰejæ ˈsɔx | ˈdæɾno ˈɣɔtsʰwotɕʰæzɐ ˈkʰejæ ˈsɔx]
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

Kå-yəm=zə dar=no lah-ts-wo əts k'on-de=k'ə məkna-ts-wo=tša=zə Keya Såx
all-P.M=REL 3.P.M=PAT bring.PFV-GER-3.P.M and darkness-DEF.S.M=LOC bind.PFV-GER-3.P.M=DAT=REL ring one
[ˈkʰɔjɐmzɐ ˈdæɾno ˈlæhtsʰwo ɐtsʰ ˈkʼondekʼɐ ˈmɐkʰnætsʰwotɕʰæzɐ ˈkʰejæ ˈsɔx]
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Ukə-l-dim kin-rå mawe=k'ə=zə Murdor-de Nora-de=k'ə.
shadow-P.F-DEF.P.F lie.IPFV-3.P.F place=LOC=REL Mordor-DEF.3.S.F land-DEF.3.S.F=LOC
[ˈʔukʰɐldim ˈkʰinɾɔ ˈmæwekʼɐzɐ ˈmuɾdoɾde ˈnoɾædekʼɐ]
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Sexå-yə=zə lox-də=tša lahem såx əts bel-yem=zə xen-lə-dem re ġá-wu.
whole-S.M=REL earth-DEF.S.M=DAT language one and same-P.F=REL word-P.F-DEF.P.F now exist.IPFV-3.P.M
Now the whole earth had one language and the same words.

Ǝts riģə nemmə-de=k'əl neko-tw-en dakə=lo duz Šinar-de nora-de=k'ə=zə wåbə ġå-yen-ri əts ts'iz=k'ə wati-yen-ri.
and people east-DEF.S.F=ABL migrate.IPFV-PST-3.S.F time=INST PROX.S.F Shinar-DEF.S.F land-DEF.S.F=LOC=REL plain find.PFV-3.S.F-3.S.F and PROX.S.F=LOC settle.PFV-3.S.F-3.S.F
And as people migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there.

Ǝts duz ku-yr-en, "Low-xo, neta dza-lå-wə əts tunnə lab-lå-wə=pə tay-ə." Ǝts duz=tša əts'a maw-wə=tša=zə neta əts seġá maw-wə=tša-zə terə ġá-tw-ə.
and PROX.S.F say.PFV-RECIP-3.S.F come.PFV-IMP.2.P bricks make.PFV-1.P-3.S.M and thorough burn.PFV-1.P-3.S.M=COMP allow-3.S.M and PROX.S.F=DAT stone place-3.S.M=DAT=REL bricks and mortar place-3.S.M=DAT=REL bitumen exist.IPFV-PST-3.S.M
And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar.

Ts'ü=tša duz ku-yr-en, "Low-xo, helat əts xeru-də=k'ə lox-wə ġá-yə=zə nåtəh gim-lə-lå-wo=pə tay-ə, əts nit=no sex-yə=zə lox-də då-w-də buk-wə=tšak' lebot-lå set-him=k'əl mi-tša kehə dza-lå-ri=pə tay-ə."
back=DAT PROX.S.F say.PFV-RECIP-3.S.F come.PFV-IMP.2.P city and heaven-DEF.S.M=LOC top-3.S.M exist.IPFV-3.S.M=REL tower build-PFV-1.P-3.P.M=COMP allow-3.S.M and 1.P=PAT whole-P.M=REL earth-DEF.S.M surface-3.S.M-DEF.S.M over-3.S.M=ALL disperse.PFV-1.P fear-NOM=ABL REFL=DAT name make.PFV-1.P-3.S.F=COMP allow-3.S.M
Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth."

Ǝts ġalə bil-lə-w-dim gim-lə-rå-wə=zə helat-də əts nåtəh-də=no zey-lə-ts-wu=tša Šey-də k'itšə=tšak' law-ə.
and mankind child-P.F-3.S.M-DEF.P.F build-PFV-3.P.F-3.S.M=REL city-DEF.S.M and tower-DEF.S.M=PAT see-PFV-GER-3.P.M=DAT lord-DEF.S.M down=ALL come.PFV-3.S.M
And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of man had built.

Ǝts Šey-də ku-yə, "Zey, dar zetə såx te-wu-ri, əts dar=tša lahem såx ġá-yen, əts de dar de lə-wu-wə=pə nay-ə=zə de zitš-də ti-y-wə. Ǝts dar latsə lota-wu-wə=zə yår šå dar=tša šu tuz-yə=pə re nay-ə.
and lord-DEF.S.M say.PFV-3.S.M see PROX.P.M ethnic_group one be_equal.IPFV-3.P.M-3.S.F and PROX.P.M=DAT language one exist.IPFV-3.S.F and PROX.S.M PROX.P.M PROX.S.M do.PFV-3.P.M-3.S.M=COMP will-3.S.M=REL PROX.S.M start-DEF.S.M be_equal.IPFV-3.S.M-3.S.M and PROX.P.M do.PFV-GER propose.PFV-3.P.M-3.S.M=REL thing NEG.S.M PROX.P.M=DAT NEG possible-3.S.M=COMP now will-3.S.M
And the Lord said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Low-xo, dar dzow rut-ri tib-wu-ri=pə šu råh-ə yåk'=tša k'itšə=tšak' zitš-lå əts lahm-o ts'i=k'ə liža-l-lå-ri=pə tay-ə."
come.PFV-IMP.2.P PROX.P.M each_other speech-3.S.F understand-3.P.M-3.S.F=COMP NEG possible-3.S.M reason=DAT down=ALL go.PFV-1.P and language-3.P.M DIST.S.M=LOC confuse-PFV-1.P-3.S.F=COMP allow-3.S.M
Come, let us go down and there confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another's speech."

De=k'əl Šey-də dar=no ts'i=k'əl kå-yə=zə lox-də då-w-də buk-wə=tšak' lebut-wo, əts dar helat-də gim-u-wə=pə yats-ə.
PROX.S.M=ABL lord-DEF.S.M PROX.P.M=PAT DIST.S.M=ABL all-S.M=REL earth-DEF.S.M surface-3.S.M-DEF.S.M over-3.S.M=ALL disperse.PFV-3.P.M and PROX.P.M city-DEF.S.M build.IPFV-3.P.M-3.S.M=COMP end-3.S.M
So the Lord dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.

De=k'əl Šey-də kå-yə=zə lox-də lahem-wə-de ts'i=k'ə liža-lə-y-ri yåk'=lo keh-wə=no Babel-də=lo nil-təw-ə. Ǝts ts'i=k'əl Šey-də dar=no kå-yə=zə lox-də då-w-də buk-wə=tšak' lebut-wo.
PROX.S.M-ABL lord-DEF.S.M all-S.M=REL earth-DEF.S.M language-3.S.M-DEF.S.F DIST.S.M=LOC confuse-PFV-3.S.M-3.S.F reason=INST name-3.S.M=PAT Babel-DEF.S.M=INST call.IPFV-PST-3.S.M and DIST.S.M=ABL lord-DEF.S.M PROX.P.M=PAT all-S.M=REL earth-DEF.S.M surface-3.S.M-DEF.S.M over-3.S.M=ALL disperse.PFV-3.P.M
Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth. And from there the Lord dispersed them over the face of all the earth.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Di Towa de Bebl

An olda wohl af wan wan langwic, an olda man tok sem.
An it apn wen dem johni ota Is, dem fayn don plen de lan kol Cinah, an dem ste dis pah ya.
An dem tok pon wanada se: "Geda, minu les mek kle ston, an bek dem gut gut. An dem yus kle ston fi ston, an tah fi mohta.
An dem tok se: "Geda, minu les bil bikton an towa af top im kac skay, an les nem imsef fi no pah gon twoh olda pah a wohl.
An di Loh kom don ota di Ebn fi luk pon bikton ya an towa ya a dem cayl a man re bil.
An di Loh tok se: "Luk pon dis, dem man ya a geda, an ol a dem af wan wan langwic: an a dis dem sta mek, an sta taym ya a olda mata dem tingk op dem me mek.
So mi les kom don an komfon fi langwic, so dem in cende wanada tok no longga."
So di Loh pah dem gon ota pah ya sta taym ya, twoh olda pah a wohl; an dem ol bil bikton ya.
Kos dis im ya kol Bebl, kos de im ya di Loh komfon di wan wan langwic a olda wohl; an ota im ya di Loh pah dem gon twoh olda pah a wohl.

JAL

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Ts'urə Süwbə-də əts Ləša-də yul-de mox-sa-yen=pə zenə-tw-u-wə dakə=k'ə tsalla-ye=zə ritš'o=lo yåž-wat-ə=zə yan-me law-ə.
north wind-DEF.S.M and sun-DEF.S.M choice-DEF.S.F strong-COMP-3.S.F=COMP dispute.IPFV-PST-3.P.M-3.S.M time=LOC warm-S.F=REL coat=INST wrap.IPFV-PASSP-3.S.M=REL travel.IPFV-AGT come.PFV-3.S.M
The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.

Yəna-m-də ritš'-wə zəh-se-ts-wə såx-rə yimmə-y-wə=zə de=no sah-him-də=lo mox-sa zur-yə=pə ts'ir ts'ak-u.
travel-AGTN-DEF.S.M coat-3.S.M take_off.PFV-CAUS-GER-3.S.M one-ORD succeed.PFV-3.S.M-3.S.M=REL PROX.S.M=PASS other-NOM-DEF.S.M=INST strong-COMP consider.IPFV-3.S.M=COMP DIST.P.M agree.PFV-3.P.M
They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.

Ts'urə Süwbə-də ts'i=hə zəhu-yə row=lo mox žey dozi-yə, əts ts'i tol-sa dozi-yə dakə=lo yəna-m-də ritš'-wə de dek-wə=tšak' žim-sa šik'ə yəši-y-ri; əts Ts'urə Süwbə-də lokáh-de tsəw-ut məze-y-ri.
north wind-DEF.S.M DIST.S.M=AGT be_able.IPFV-3.S.M way=INST strong then blow.PFV-3.S.M and DIST.S.M much-COMP blow.PFV-3.S.M time=INST travel-AGTN-DEF.S.M coat-3.S.M PROX.S.M circle-3.S.M=ALL close-COMP however fold-3.S.M-3.S.F and north wind-DEF.S.M attempt-DEF.S.F end-ADV give_up.PFV-3.S.M-3.S.F
Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely did the traveler fold his cloak around him; and at last the North Wind gave up the attempt.

Ləša-də süwbə=tšak' tsalla žey bek'a-tw-ə, əts yəna-m-də ritš'-wə sehun zəhə-y-ri.
sun-DEF.S.M outside=ALL warm then shine.IPFV-PST-3.S.M and travel-AGTN-DEF.S.M coat-3.S.M immediate take_off.PFV-3.S.M-3.S.F
Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveler took off his cloak.

Ts'urə Süwbə-də Ləša-də kan-de=k'əl mox-sa-tw-ə=pə rekow-tsə-wə šexá-y-wə.
north wind-DEF.S.M sun-DEF.S.M two-DEF.S.F=ABL strong-COMP-PST-3.S.M=COMP confess.PFV-GER-3.S.M be_obligated.IPFV-3.S.M-3.S.M
And so the North Wind was obliged to confess that the Sun was the stronger of the two.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Dsile ira nama ku arok nai ed kilai sor, ni ap te nôma pin.
heaven CL(big) many NEG number CL(abstract) SUB give to.them, human CL(human) 3SG.OBJ feed should

The phrase nama ku arok, glossed as many NEG number, should be interpreted as something along the lines of "so many that it is not a number", i.e. "innumerable". The particle ed in this and the next sentence indicates that a subordinate clause follows. The third-person object pronoun te can also be used as an object marker, as it is in this text.

Ku ni ap pige ed loka, dsile te aihu kilai era.
NEG human CL(human) nothing SUB have, heaven 3SG.OBJ thank give can
Man has nothing with which to recompense heaven.

Aihu kilai basically means "return a favour".

Rhomu môt. Rhomu môt. Rhomu môt. Rhomu môt. Rhomu môt. Rhomu môt. Rhomu môt.
dead make

One might shorten this saying rhomu only the first time and implying it the other six times.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Hwam yai ndruy qha thie tshau syeŋ ńa hwiek ndyok ńaŋ.
sky DEF carry.IPFV DED thing PL.INAM count.IPFV NEG go_towards.IPFV nurture.IPFV people
[ʍaɴ jɛ ɳdʐyj qʰa tʰie̯ tsʰɑ sjɤɴ ɲa ʍɯɤ̯ʔ ndjoʔ ɲɑɴ]

Thie dyaŋ he goy qha ndźuk ńaŋ ŋgyoh syak Hwam yai.
thing good NEG exist.IPFV DED BEN.IPFV people pay.IPFV back sky DEF
[tʰie̯ djɑɴ he gøj qʰa ɲdʑuʔ ɲɑɴ ŋgjoh sjɑʔ ʍaɴ jɛ]

Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo.
dead dead dead dead dead dead dead
[ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯]

yangfiretiger121
Lebom
Lebom

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Travis B. wrote:<snip>
Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo. Ruo.
dead dead dead dead dead dead dead
[ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯ ɻuo̯]
How's "dead" become "kill"? Yes, both may be nouns, but dead's second usage is as an adjective while kill's is as a transitive verb.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

yangfiretiger121 wrote:but dead's second usage is as an adjective while kill's is as a transitive verb.
"Second usage"? You for real? Trolling much?

JAL

yangfiretiger121
Lebom
Lebom

I worded to incorrectly, but that's no reason to call me a troll. I'm asking because "dead" can be either a noun or an adjective while "kill" can be either a noun or a verb ("to kill").

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

yangfiretiger121 wrote:I worded to incorrectly, but that's no reason to call me a troll. I'm asking because "dead" can be either a noun or an adjective while "kill" can be either a noun or a verb ("to kill").
Your wording, as the wording of the above, displays a profound lack of insight into how languages can work, combined with the apparent believe that English is the measure of how languages work (and I doubt you even understand how English works, with regards to nominalized adjectives and otherwise). Don't you understand at all how profoundly daft it is to say "I don't understand how word X in your language can be transcrived as Y because that's not how it works in English"???

JAL

yangfiretiger121
Lebom
Lebom

Point.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Simple - in Old Zlang imperfective intransitive verbs (which "adjectives" are in Old Zlang) have the second, transitive usage with a causative meaning (and naturally the causative of "dead" is "kill"). In my translation you refer to, I did not add the antipassive marker so as to specify this particular meaning because I figured it would be implicit from context (but to be less ambiguous I could have added it).

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

"Don't dead me!" he screamed, but he deaded him anyway.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

wɔ̄ɔn ɟḛe kʰɔ̄ jí ʔɐcʰɑ́u wí ʔɛ̰ɛ nɪʔɨŋɔ̤t ɓəɓo̰k.
sky take thing NEG count go_forward DAT ACTION-nurture COLL-human

kʰɔ̄ mɛ̀ hí pɘ́ɘ tɜ̤ɜ ʔɛ̰ɛ wɔ̄ɔn ʔɛ̰ɛ ɓəɓo̰k.
thing NEG REL give go_back DAT sky DAT COLL-human

kɐkʰæ̰m. kɐkʰæ̰m. kɐkʰæ̰m. kɐkʰæ̰m. kɐkʰæ̰m. kɐkʰæ̰m. kɐkʰæ̰m.
CAUS-dead. CAUS-dead. CAUS-dead. CAUS-dead. CAUS-dead. CAUS-dead. CAUS-dead.