Help your fluency in a nifty way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Help your fluency in a nifty way

Post by Vijay »

Auf malayalam auch muss man so etwas sagen.
You have to say something like that in Malayalam, too.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

kanejam wrote:E kai ana au i te kihu parāoa iāianā. Kāore au i te mahara ki te kai aha mā te hapa. He tino pākinakina nei, otirā he kōngū, he haitutu.
I'm eating noodles at the moment. I don't know what I want for dinner. It's pretty hot here, but overcast and muggy.
Kimaori!
Te reo!
Maori!

Nilipoisoma hiyo, mimi pia nilikuwa nikila tambi.
When I read that, I was eating noodles too.
linguoboy wrote:Ich hab nicht mal erwartet, wie schwierig es sein wurde, eine passende Uebersetzung für "mismatched" zu finden. Das Beste, was ich auftreiben konnte, ist "die zueinander nicht passen".
I didn't anticipate how hard it was going to be to find a decent translation for "mismatched". The best I could come up with was "that don't go with each other".
Jaribu kupata kivumishi kinachomaanisha "ya karibuni".
Try to find an adjective meaning "recent".
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Gestern war es etwas warm (~12 C), aber heute hat die Temperatur wieder auf -9 C zurückgegriffen.
Yesterday was somewhat warm (55 F), but the temperature fell back to 16 F today.

Die Menge Schnee von diesem Jahr ist enttäuschend. Fast nichts. Was für einen Sinn hat Winter ohne Schnee?
This year's snowfall has been disappointing. Almost nothing. What is the point of winter without snow?

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Ziz wrote:Was für einen Sinn hat Winter ohne Schnee?
What is the point of winter without snow?
Die Kälte
The cold

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Ich mag Winter ohne Schnee, weil Fahren im Schnee beschissen ist.
I like winter without snow, because driving in snow really sucks.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Sehemu ya Australia nilipokua, kipupwe ni cha kinyemi kwa sababu hakuna joto kali. Hapa Ujerumani wakati wa kipupwe miti inaonekana kana kwamba ilikufa, mchana ni mfupi kupita kiasi na kusipokuwa na theluji, kila kitu ni cha kijivu, udongo una unyevunyevu, huwezi kuketi nyasini, huwezi kukutana na rafiki nje na kustarehe. Ukitaka kukutana na rafiki, lazima mwende nyumbani ama kwako ama kwake au isipowezekana, lazime mwende kwenye baa au mkahawa ambapo mtapaswa kutumia pesa ili mruhisiwe kubaki hapo. Kipupwe kinafanya kila kitu kiwe kigumu zaidi. Ni theluji tu inayofanya kipupwe kipendeze.
In the part of Australia where I grew up, winter is nice because it's not disgustingly hot. Here in Germany, during winter, the trees look as if they are dead, the days are far too short and if there isn't snow, everything looks grey, the soil is wet, you can't sit on the grass, you can't meet friends outside and relax. If you want to meet friends, you have to go to your house or to their house or you have to go somewhere like a bar or a restaurant where you'll have to spend money in order to be allowed to stay there. Winter makes everything hard. Only snow makes winter nice.

Jana usiku nilitembea msituni, na niliweza kuona taa za barabarani kwa umbali. Sikuweza kupata hisia ya kutokuwemo jijini. Hata hivyo, ilikuwa vizuri kuwa mbali ya watu, lakini ninakosa majani. Wakati kusiokuwa na majani wala theluji ni wa kinyesi.
Last night, I went for a walk in the forest and I was able to see street lights in the distance. I wasn't able to have the feeling that I'm not in the city. It was, nevertheless, nice to be far away from people, but I miss leaves. Times when there are neither leaves nor snow are shit.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

In Yisroel tuet es vargrienen in Winter allz arum wegen dem Regen, nor vargellen unn varbruinen in Summer. Ich hob die Grienkait vunn Winter holdt, nor die Sunn unn hechere Temperaturen vunn Summer tuen mich iberall meer freidiken wie a Grienkait, wos balaiten sie kalterhait Sturrmen unn gruileche nasse Regens. Soll es dorten ton a Fall der Schnei, soll ich mich derfreien, ober dos wet kainmool nit syn.

In Israel everything turns green in winter because of the rain, and goes yellow and brown in summer. I like the greenness of the winter, but the sun and higher temperatures of the summer make me happier overall than greenness that’s accompanied by cold and storms and horrible wet rains. Were it ever to snow here I’d be super happy, but that’ll never happen.

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Astraios wrote:In Yisroel tuet es vargrienen in Winter allz arum wegen dem Regen, nor vargellen unn varbruinen in Summer. Ich hob die Grienkait vunn Winter holdt, nor die Sunn unn hechere Temperaturen vunn Summer tuen mich iberall meer freidiken wie a Grienkait, wos balaiten sie kalterhait Sturrmen unn gruileche nasse Regens. Soll es dorten ton a Fall der Schnei, soll ich mich derfreien, ober dos wet kainmool nit syn.

In Israel everything turns green in winter because of the rain, and goes yellow and brown in summer. I like the greenness of the winter, but the sun and higher temperatures of the summer make me happier overall than greenness that’s accompanied by cold and storms and horrible wet rains. Were it ever to snow here I’d be super happy, but that’ll never happen.
.שטותעריי! דער ווינטער איז ביי אלעמען די בעסערע תקופה. די זומערהיץ (ווארע טעמפעראטור + דעמפיקייט) ביי תל-אביב איז אומדערטרעגלעך
Shtuseray! Der vinter iz bay alemen di besere tkufe. Di zumerhits (vore temperatur + dempikayt) bay Tel Aviv iz umdertreglekh.

Poppycock! Winter is on all accounts the superior season. The summer heat (real temperature + humidity) in the Tel Aviv area is unbearable.

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Ziz wrote:
Astraios wrote:In Yisroel tuet es vargrienen in Winter allz arum wegen dem Regen, nor vargellen unn varbruinen in Summer. Ich hob die Grienkait vunn Winter holdt, nor die Sunn unn hechere Temperaturen vunn Summer tuen mich iberall meer freidiken wie a Grienkait, wos balaiten sie kalterhait Sturrmen unn gruileche nasse Regens. Soll es dorten ton a Fall der Schnei, soll ich mich derfreien, ober dos wet kainmool nit syn.

.שטותעריי! דער ווינטער איז ביי אלעמען די בעסערע תקופה. די זומערהיץ (ווארע טעמפעראטור + דעמפיקייט) ביי תל-אביב איז אומדערטרעגלעך
Shtuseray! Der vinter iz bay alemen di besere tkufe. Di zumerhits (vore temperatur + dempikayt) bay Tel Aviv iz umdertreglekh.

Poppycock! Winter is on all accounts the superior season. The summer heat (real temperature + humidity) in the Tel Aviv area is unbearable.
纽约市也是很热。我想冬天,时夏天来了。
New York is really hot too. I'm going to miss winter when the summer comes.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Ziz wrote:.שטותעריי! דער ווינטער איז ביי אלעמען די בעסערע תקופה
Shtuseray! Der vinter iz bay alemen di besere tkufe.

Poppycock! Winter is on all accounts the superior season.
By abi wemen! Summer kenn men arop af Plazches, essen Yselech, sich uistoon Malbuschim, oon sich kainmool nit varnetzen (uissern Schwimmen). Winter chappt men Krankhaiten, wert allz varwassert unn varblotikt, darf men oich sich ontoon dem ganzen Garderob.
All, schmall! In summer you can go down to the beach, eat icecream, and take your clothes off, all without ever getting wet (except for swimming). In winter you get sick, everything’s wet and muddy, and you have to wear your entire wardrobe.
Ziz wrote:.די זומערהיץ (ווארע טעמפעראטור + דעמפיקייט) ביי תל-אביב איז אומדערטרעגלעך
Di zumerhits (vore temperatur + dempikayt) bay Tel Aviv iz umdertreglekh.

The summer heat (real temperature + humidity) in the Tel Aviv area is unbearable.
Wos dorten ruft men “עומס החום” (die “Hitzlast” — as a Last af mir). Lemaase arrt es mich oich die Dempickait, ober by mir is dos Haissgefiel allz dertreglech wie dos Kalt. Wenn kalt unn nass, dann ich hass, nor truckenhaiss, s’ is a Neis.
What they call here “ʿómes haḥom” (the “heat burden” — such a burden I should have). To tell the truth, the humidity bothers me too, but the feeling of being hot is much more bearable to me than being cold. I hate the cold and wet, but dry heat is wonderful.

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by kanejam »

Imralu wrote:Kimaori!
Te reo!
Maori!

Nilipoisoma hiyo, mimi pia nilikuwa nikila tambi.
When I read that, I was eating noodles too.
Āe! E hiahia ana au ki te ako i te reo Māori, i te reo Huahiri.*
Ndiyo! Ninataka kujifunza Kimaori na Kiswahili.
Yes! I want to learn Māori and Swahili.

*Je ne peux pas trouver une traduction pour 'swahili', donc j'en ai créé une. Et le swahili vient de mémoire, donc j'ai probablement fait des bêtises. Et des nouilles sont miam-miam.
*I can't find a transaltion for 'Swahili', so I created one. And the Swahili comes from memory, so I have probably made some mistakes. And noodles are yum yum.
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

communistplot wrote:纽约市也是很热。我想冬天,时夏天来了。
New York is really hot too. I'm going to miss winter when the summer comes.
I'm no native speaker or anything, but I did minor in Chinese, and I think those sentences would be something more like:

纽约也真热。 夏天的时候, 我就要想冬天了。

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Gestern beim Bärentreff ging es schlechter als üblich. Wir haben alle Gedächtnisschwierigkeiten beim Worterinnern gehabt. Sogar der emeritierter Professor!
Yesterday's Bear meet-up was worse than usual. We all had trouble with our vocabulary recall. Even the retired professor!

Er fand's sogar schwierig, am Deutschen dranzubleiben. Er hat mehrmals unbewusst auf Englisch umgeschaltet und ich musste halt Deutsch zu ihm weiterspreche, bis er schließlich mich auf Deutsch beantwortet hat. Das ist vorher nie passiert.
He found it difficult even just sticking to German. He kept switching to English and I would have to simply keep on speaking German to him until he eventually switched back. That's never happened before.

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Estaré contento de mudarme a Chicago si un evento como ese atrae a bastante gente para ser algo regular.
I'm happy to be moving to Chicago if an event like that draws enough numbers to be a regular thing.
Astraios wrote:By abi wemen! Summer kenn men arop af Plazches, essen Yselech, sich uistoon Malbuschim, oon sich kainmool nit varnetzen (uissern Schwimmen). Winter chappt men Krankhaiten, wert allz varwassert unn varblotikt, darf men oich sich ontoon dem ganzen Garderob.
All, schmall! In summer you can go down to the beach, eat icecream, and take your clothes off, all without ever getting wet (except for swimming). In winter you get sick, everything’s wet and muddy, and you have to wear your entire wardrobe.
.די חמודע, לא נכוווון. יוצאות בתל אביב באמצע הקיץ וחוזרות הביתה אחרי חמש דקות ממש מ.כו.סות בזעה
Oh, honey. Not a summer day goes by in Tel Aviv when you aren't DRENCHED in sweat after five minutes outside.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

linguoboy wrote:Ich hab nicht vorausgesehen, wie schwierig es sein würde, eine passende Uebersetzung für "mismatched" zu finden. Das Beste, woran ich denken konnte, ist "die zueinander nicht zueinander passen".
I didn't anticipate how hard it was going to be to find a decent translation for "mismatched". The best I could come up with was "that don't go with each other".
Try nicht (zusammen)passend; depending on the context, it can frequently be translated by falsch or verkehrt.
Vijay wrote:Auf Malayalam auch muss man auch so etwas sagen.
You have to say something like that in Malayalam, too.
Ziz wrote:Gestern war es etwas warm (~12 C), aber heute ist die Temperatur wieder auf -9 C zurückgegangen.
Yesterday was somewhat warm (55 F), but the temperature fell back to 16 F today.

Der Schneefall in diesem Jahr ist enttäuschend. Fast nichts. Was für einen Sinn hat Winter ohne Schnee?
This year's snowfall has been disappointing. Almost nothing. What is the point of winter without snow?
linguoboy wrote:Gestern beim Bärentreff ging es schlechter als üblich. Wir haben alle Schwierigkeiten beim Erinnern an Wörter gehabt. Sogar der emeritierter Professor!
Yesterday's Bear meet-up was worse than usual. We all had trouble with our vocabulary recall. Even the retired professor!

Er fand's sogar schwierig, am Deutschen dranzubleiben. Er hat mehrmals unbewusst auf Englisch umgeschaltet und ich musste halt weiter Deutsch mit ihm weitersprechen, bis er mir schließlich mich auf Deutsch geantwortet hat. Das ist vorher nie passiert.
He found it difficult even just sticking to German. He kept switching to English and I would have to simply keep on speaking German to him until he eventually switched back. That's never happened before.
Jeżeli nie się mi podoba pogoda, nie wychodzę z domu, jeżeli nie muszę.
Si le temps ne me plaît pas, je ne sors pas de la maison, si je ne dois pas.
Si no me gusta el tiempo, no salgo de la casa, si no debo.
Se no mi piace il tempo, no esco della case, se no debbo.
Wanneer me het weer niet bevalt, ga ik niet uit het hui eruit, zo ik niet moet.

If I don't like the weather, I don't leave the house if I don't have to.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

[quote="hwhatting"]Als* het weer me niet bevalt, ga ik m'n huis niet uit als het niet noodzakelijk** is***.[/b]
*Like English, "When" = "Wanneer", "If" = "Als".
**Or "als het niet nodig is". Or "als het niet hoeft"
**Or perhaps slightly more idiomatic "ga ik alleen m'n huis uit als het noodzakelijk is" or "(...) als het moet"

Ich gehe denn mit dem Wagen.
In that case I use the car.

JAL

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ »

kanejam wrote:*Je ne peux pas trouver une traduction pour 'swahili', donc j'en ai créé une. Et le swahili vient de mémoire, donc j'ai probablement fait des bêtises. Et des nouilles sont miam-miam.
*I can't find a transaltion for 'Swahili', so I created one. And the Swahili comes from memory, so I have probably made some mistakes. And noodles are yum yum.
Your adaptation of the word Swahili is all right (I'm thinking of beginning to learn Māori some day), but Wikipedia has just the unchanged form: https://mi.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reo_Swahili so I don't know if the Huahili was necessary.
In Budapest:
- Hey mate, are you hung-a-ry?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:Ich fahre dann mit dem Wagen.
In that case I use the car.
Or: Ich nehme dann den Wagen.
Gehen almost always means "walk (on one's feet)". Exceptions: it has no fixed implication on means of transport 1) if it means "to leave, go away" (Bist du bis zum Schluss auf der Party geblieben? - Nein, ich bin um zwei nach Hause gegangen; in this case, there's no implcation that the speaker walked home), and 2) when it means "change one's city / country of residence" (Wohnt Stefan immer noch in Hamburg? - Nein, er ist voriges Jahr nach Berlin gegangen.)

To jest jedna z możliwości.
C'est une des options.
Eso es una de las opciones.
Questo è un delle opzioni.
Dat is een van de mogelijkheiden.

That's one of the options.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:Dat is een van de mogelijkheiden.
Singular -heid gets plural -heden (cf. "overheid" - "overheden"),one of the few irregularities in Dutch plurals.

Danke!
Thanks!

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Ziz wrote:Estaré contento de mudarme a Chicago si un evento como ese atrae a bastante gente para ser algo regular.
I'm happy to be moving to Chicago if an event like that draws enough numbers to be a regular thing.
Es ist immer noch ziemlich winzig. Dieses Mal waren wir nur vier. Ich glaub nicht, dass wir je mehr als ein halbes Dutzend gesammelt haben, sogar wenn das Wetter am Schönsten ist.
It's always been pretty tiny. We had only four people there this time. I don't think we've ever had more than half a dozen, not even in the best weather.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

linguoboy wrote:It's always been pretty tiny. We had only four people there this time. I don't think we've ever had more than half a dozen, not even in the best weather.
Es gibt vielleicht nicht so viele nicht-muttersprachlerige Deutschsprachigen in den Vereinigte Staten, der auch noch Bären sind. Das es noch sechs gibt, in deine Nähe, ist schon ein Wunder.
There are perhaps not that many not-motherspeaking German speakers in the US that are also Bears. That there are six, in your neighbourhood, is already a miracle.

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Chicago hat 2,7 Millionen Einwohner, mit einem LGBT-Anteil von mindestens 4%. Dass es ein Schwuler zu 10,000, der Deutsch spricht und gern mit anderen zusammentrifft, um Deutsch zu reden, scheint mir gar nicht allzu überraschend.
Chicago is a city of 2.7 million, of which at least 4% are LGBT. That one in 10,000 gay men here knows German and likes to get together with others to speak it doesn't strike me as all that surprising.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

linguoboy wrote:Es ist immer noch ziemlich winzig. Dieses Mal waren wir nur vier. Ich glaub nicht, dass wir je mehr als ein halbes Dutzend zusammen bekommen haben, sogar wenn das Wetter am Schönsten war.
It's always been pretty tiny. We had only four people there this time. I don't think we've ever had more than half a dozen, not even in the best weather.
jal wrote:Es gibt vielleicht nicht so viele nicht-muttersprachliche Deutschsprachigen in den Vereinigten Staaten, die auch noch Bären sind. Das es sogar sechs gibt, in deine Nähe, ist schon ein Wunder.
There are perhaps not that many not-motherspeaking German speakers in the US that are also Bears. That there are six, in your neighbourhood, is already a miracle.
linguoboy wrote:Chicago hat 2,7 Millionen Einwohner, mit einem LGBT-Anteil von mindestens 4%. Dass es ein Schwuler aus 10,000, der Deutsch spricht und gern mit anderen zusammentrifft, um Deutsch zu reden, scheint mir gar nicht allzu überraschend.
Chicago is a city of 2.7 million, of which at least 4% are LGBT. That one in 10,000 gay men here knows German and likes to get together with others to speak it doesn't strike me as all that surprising.
Prawdopodobnie są więcej niedźwiedzi na Alasce, ale ile z nich mówią po niemiecku? ;-)
Probablement il y a plus des ours en Alasca, mais combien d'eux parlent allemand? ;-)
Waarschijnlijk zijn er meer beren in Alsaka, maar hoe veel van hun spreken Duits? ;-)

There are probably more bears in Alaska, but how many of them speak German? ;-)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Nur weil keiner da ist, um es ihnen beizubringen. Vielleicht hab ich letztendlich meine Berufung entdeckt.
Only because there's no one there to teach them. Maybe I've finally discovered my calling.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:Waarschijnlijk zijn er meer beren in Alsaka, maar hoeveel van hen* spreken Duits?
*The totally artificial distinction between "hun" and "hen" has to be observed on panelty of death :).

Deutschsprachige Grizzlybären... Mmmm....
German speaking grizzlies... Mmmm...

JAL