Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Pop music genres - help?

Post by Nortaneous »

(standing on chair, pounding table with a fujara) crumhorns. crumhorns
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

I have my record collection on a spreadsheet. Just for fun, I added genre tags to each album. I had some decisions to make, such as what to make of Hendrix, whose music is equal parts blues, hard rock, and psychedelic rock... I went with "psychedelic rock" as the least bad option. For the Rolling Stones, I went with "blues rock", although they're really the closest thing to unhyphenated rock.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

My CD collection is just sorted alphabetically by artist name, and chronologically within the same artist. No heed of genre; I do not even distinguish between "classical" and "popular" when I sort my CDs. (This even though I have some fondness of genre classifications - but I know that the boundaries are blurry to the point that genres are unhelpful in sorting music.)
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

WeepingElf wrote:My CD collection is just sorted alphabetically by artist name, and chronologically within the same artist.
Oh, this is how I do it too. I said I added tags to the spreadsheet; I haven't changed the physical layout. I'm considering trying to make a database instead of a spreadsheet, incidentally, but I'd have to learn how to make a database.
WeepingElf wrote:No heed of genre; I do not even distinguish between "classical" and "popular" when I sort my CDs.
I do keep "classical" CDs separate, though; mostly because they're sorted by composer, while popular music is sorted by performer. I also keep "soundtracks" separate, because they're sorted by title.