Help your fluency in a nifty way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Help your fluency in a nifty way

Post by Vijay »

Imralu wrote:
Vijay wrote:Saa moja ni saa ya kwanza ya siku.
Sentensi hiyo ina maana dhahiri kwa Kiswahili. Kiswahili chako ni kizuri!
This sentence is kind of stating the obvious in Swahili. Your Swahili is good!
Hehe, asante! :)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Imralu wrote:
finlay wrote:2週間前は6周年だった
Two weeks ago was my sixth Japanniversary
Unahisi upo nyumbani, au uko tayari kwa mabadiliko?
Do you feel at home or are you ready for a change?
知らねーーーー >_<
I dunnoooooooooooooo :(

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:We've been through this
Das erinnerte ich mich, aber ich war zu faul, um die Einzelheiten auf zu suchen. Entschuldigung!
I recalled that, but I was too lazy to look up the specifics.
Ik zou* graag Nieuw Zeeland zien. Maar het is werkelijk ver**.
*"wou" is the colloquial variant of "wilde", so means you wanted to (but not anymore). Also, a more idiomatic word order/way of saying this would either be "Ik zou NZ graag zien" or "ik zou graag naar NZ gaan".
**more idiomatic "ver weg". Also, "werkelijk" is a bit off for me, I'd use "echt", perhaps combined with "heel": "maar het is echt heel ver weg".

Genau. Warum dort jemals Europeaner wohnen gehen sind*, ich weiß es wirklich nicht...
Indeed. Why there have ever been Europeans that went to live there, I really don't know...
*I'm trying to capture Dutch "waarom daar ooit Europeanen zijn gaan wonen", but both in German and English, I'm not entirely sure how to say that...

JAL

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

finlay wrote:
Imralu wrote:
finlay wrote:2週間前は6周年だった
Two weeks ago was my sixth Japanniversary
Unahisi upo nyumbani, au uko tayari kwa mabadiliko?
Do you feel at home or are you ready for a change?
知らねーーーー >_<
I dunnoooooooooooooo :(
Ni swali gumu sana! Huenda utajua wakati utakapokuwa sahihi.
It's a really difficult question. Maybe you'll know when the time is right. (Or some other cliché. I don't know how to write this bit in Swahili.)

Jal, in English I'd say "Why Europeans have ever gone to live there / gone there to live is beyond me /, I really don't know." The way you said it in English was pretty fine too. In German, I'm not exactly sure - I tend to use a lot of subordinate clauses and make very long complicated sentences so I can stick to phrasing I know (both in German and English). In any case, dort is a location and dorthin is a destination. ... wohnen gegangen sind would be correct except that "irgendwo(hin) wohnen gehen" doesn't really sound like a thing you can do. VERB + gehen is usually an active thing and "living" doesn't seem "active" enough to me. And your ich weiß es should be weiß ich because the warum clause is in first location. I'd say Warum Europäer jemals dorthin gegangen sind, (um dort zu leben,) weiß ich wirklich nicht. Whether there's a shorter way, I don't know. I think the um clause is basically unnecessary because gegangen, where it clearly can't mean walking, implies going somewhere to live.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

.אני כמעט סיימתי את הקורס שלי בפיתוח תוכנה, ועכשיו אני עובד על אתר הפורטפוליו שלי. אני מקווה שתיכף אוכל למצוא עבודה טובה
Ani kim‘aṭ siyámti et ha-ḳurs šeli be-p̄itúaḥ tokhnä, ṿe-‘akhšaṿ ani ‘oved ‘al atar ha-porṭfóliyo šeli. Ani meḳaṿë še-téykhef ukhal limtso’ ‘avodä ṭovä.

Я почти закончил мой курс по разработке программного обеспечения, а теперь я работаю над моим сайтом портфолио. Я надеюсь, что я скоро могу найти хорошую работу.
Ja počtí zakónčil moj kurs po razrabótke prográmmnogo obespečénija, a tepér' ja rabótaju nad moím sájtom portfólio. Ja nadéjus', čto ja skóro mogú najtí horóšuju rabótu.

I'm almost finished with my software development course, and now I'm working on my portfolio website. I hope I'll be able to find a good job quickly.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vor kurzem hat hat jemand mich erinnert, dass das Lied "Una Paloma Blanca" existiert. Ich kenne es von Kindheit an (meine Eltern hörten gern das Easy Listening als ich Kind war) aber ich hätte nie geschätzt, dass der Sänger Niederländer war.
Recently someone reminded me of the existence of the song "Una Paloma Blanca". I've known it since childhood (my parents liked listening to easy listening music when I was a kid) but I would never have guessed that the singer was Dutch.

Es sollte jemand eine Geschichte der von Nichtspanischsprachigen gesungenen spanischsprachigen Pop-Musik schreiben.
Someone should write a history of Spanish-language pop music sung by non-Spanish-speakers.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

linguoboy wrote:Recently someone reminded me of the existence of the song "Una Paloma Blanca". I've known it since childhood (my parents liked listening to easy listening music when I was a kid) but I would never have guessed that the singer was Dutch.
Er hat kein klares nicht-muttersprachliges Akzent? George Baker hat auch "Little Green Bag" gemacht. Weltberühmt wegen Resevoir Dogs.
He doesn't have a clear non-mothertongue accent? George Baker has also made "Little Green Bag". World-famous because of Resevoir Dogs.

JAL

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Znex wrote:Ich bin nach Neuseeland gefahren*1), als ich war ein Kind war. Es ist immer noch das einzige Land noch, das ich außerhalb von Australien besucht habe*2).
I went to New Zealand when I was a kid. It is still the only country I have visited outside of Australia.
*1) Better: Ich war in Neuseeland.
*2) Or: das einzige Land außerhalb von Australien, das...
jal wrote:Daran habe erinnerte ich mich erinnert, aber ich war zu faul, um die Einzelheiten nachzusehen. Entschuldigung!
I recalled that, but I was too lazy to look up the specifics.

Genau. Warum dort jemals Europäer sich angesiedelt haben*, ich weiß ich wirklich nicht...
Indeed. Why there have ever been Europeans that went to live there, I really don't know...
linguoboy wrote:Vor kurzem hat hat jemand mich daran erinnert, dass das Lied "Una Paloma Blanca" existiert. Ich kenne es aus der Kindheit an (meine Eltern haben gern Unterhaltungsmusik gehört, als ich Kind war), aber ich hätte nie geraten, dass der Sänger Niederländer war.
Recently someone reminded me of the existence of the song "Una Paloma Blanca". I've known it since childhood (my parents liked listening to easy listening music when I was a kid) but I would never have guessed that the singer was Dutch.
jal wrote:Er hat keinen eindeutigen nicht-muttersprachlichen Akzent? George Baker hat auch "Little Green Bag" gemacht. Weltberühmt durch Resevoir Dogs.
He doesn't have a clear non-mothertongue accent? George Baker has also made "Little Green Bag". World-famous because of Resevoir Dogs.
To jest najsłynnejsza wersja tej piosenki w Niemczech.
C'est la version la plus fameuse de cette chanson en Allemagne.
Dit is de versie van dit lied in Duitsland.

This is the most famous version of that song in Germany. Bleh...

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Solo conozco una versión (mariachi) de la canción "Una paloma blanca". La letra como la recuerdo es:
I only know one (mariachi) version of the song "Una Paloma Blanca." The lyrics as I remember them are:

Quiero contarles de algún modo
I want to tell y'all somehow

Lo que en la playa me pasó.
What happened to me on the beach.

Era muy bella, era muy blanca,
It was very beautiful, it was very white,

Y en mi hombro se posó.
And it perched on my shoulder.

Una parvada de palomas
A flock of doves

Volaban libres(?) bajo el sol.
Flew free under the sun.

Volaban libres(?) y una de ellas
They flew free, and one of them

Fue a(?) mi hombro y se quedó.
Went onto(?) my shoulder and stayed.

Uuna palooma blaancaaaaaaaa, a mis ojos me miróóoo.
One white dove looked into my eyes.

Uuna palooma blaancaaaaaaaa, al verme triste lloró
One white dove cried upon seeing that I was sad :?:

Porque me marché muy lejos de ti.
Because I left very far away from you. :?:

Así fue, mi amor, como te perdí.
That was, my love, how I lost you.

Nunca encontré esta versión en la red.
I never found this version online.

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

Me lesrau kowa un nai shunau i gili pral miro dji! Un tchatchepaha, me prindjrau gar kai gili.
Ich kann das Lied im Kopf hören, während ich das lese! Jedoch ich kenne dieses Lied eigentlich nicht.
Je peux entendre la chanson dans ma tête lorsque je la lise! Bien que je connaisse pas en fait cette chanson.
Eu consigo ouvir a canção na cabeça enquanto leio! Embora na verdade eu não conheça essa canção.
Medra i glywed y caniad yn 'n mhen i wrth i mi darllen hwnnw! Er mod i'm yn nabod y caniad 'ma, a dweud y gwir.
I can hear the song in my head as I read this! Although I don't actually know this song.
Native: English || Pretty decent: Ancient Greek || Alright: Ancient Hebrew || Eh: Welsh || Basic: Mandarin Chinese || Very basic: French, Latin, Nisuese, Apsish
Conlangs: Nisuese, Apsish, Kaptaran, Pseudo-Ligurian

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Znex wrote:Medra i glywed y gân yn 'n mhen i wrth i mi ddarllen hwnnw! Er mod i'm yn nabod y gân 'ma, a dweud y gwir.
Lle ddysgest ti "caniad"? Sa i'n ei adnabod e ond yn enw y Caniad Solomon.
Where did you learn "caniad"? I only recognise it from the name of the Song of Solomon.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Znex wrote:Medra i glywed y gân yn 'n mhen i wrth i mi ddarllen hyn! Er mod i'm yn nabod y gân 'ma, a dweud y gwir.
I can hear the song in my head as I read this! Although I don't actually know this song.
Lle dysgest ti "caniad"? Sa i'n ei wybod e ond yn enw Caniad Solomon.
lle sounds northern and sa i'n southern but maybe lle exists in the south too. Mutation should only happen on the verb if the extracted interrogative stands in for the direct object or the subject. gwybod is the natural collocation with gair.

As for 'only' - this is often a tricky one to translate idiomatically. The usual colloquial choice is dim ond or some co-occurrence of the two. To me sa i combined with ond with no dim sounds weird. I would say: dim ond o enw Caniad Solomon dw i'n (ei) wybod o.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

linguoboy wrote:
Znex wrote:Medra i glywed y gân yn 'n mhen i wrth i mi ddarllen hwnnw! Er mod i'm yn nabod y gân 'ma, a dweud y gwir.
Lle ddysgest ti "caniad"? Sa i'n ei adnabod e ond yn enw y Caniad Solomon.
Where did you learn "caniad"? I only recognise it from the name of the Song of Solomon.
Iawn, a dweud y gwir, dw i'm yn siarad yn y cymraeg ers tro, a dw i'n defnyddio geiriadur dw i'm yn adnabod.
Well to be honest, I haven't spoken Welsh for a while, and I'm using a dictionary I'm not familiar with.
Native: English || Pretty decent: Ancient Greek || Alright: Ancient Hebrew || Eh: Welsh || Basic: Mandarin Chinese || Very basic: French, Latin, Nisuese, Apsish

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Znex wrote:Iawn, a dweud y gwir, dw i'm yn siarad yn y cymraeg ers tro, a dw i'n defnyddio geiriadur nad ydw i'm yn ei adnabod.
Pa un?
Which one?

Mae Geiriadur yr Academi'n rhydd i ddefnyddio ar lein, 'ddost ti?
The Dictionary of the Welsh Academy is free to use online, you know.

Rw innau wedi colli'r arfer, felly rw i'n falch bod Yng fan hyn i nghywiro fi.
I'm out of practice myself, so I'm glad Yng is here to correct me.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

linguoboy wrote:
Znex wrote:Iawn, a dweud y gwir, dw i'm yn siarad yn y cymraeg ers tro, a dw i'n defnyddio geiriadur nad ydw i'm yn ei adnabod.
Pa un?
Which one?
nad ydw i'n ei adnabod (no ddim with this) - though you're just as likely to hear geiriadur dw i'm yn nabod (e).
Mae Geiriadur yr Academi'n rhydd i ddefnyddio ar lein, 'ddost ti?
The Dictionary of the Welsh Academy is free to use online, you know.
I intuitively read this in English as 'free' (without paying) - which is not rhydd but am ddim.or if you want something that lets you use the same syntax the adjective di-dâl.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

祝你們情人節快乐!
Frohe Valentinsdag, alle!
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

情人節怎麼樣,你們?有沒有能和你們的伴侶或者好朋友會合? :-D
Wie geht/ging Valentinsdag für euch? Habt ihr getroffen ihrer eure Partner oder enge Freunde?
How is/was Valentine's Day for you guys? Did you get to meet up with your partners or close friends?

那天在城裡我和我的好朋友享受了走走,談談哪。訪問大我們吃蛋糕了裡的園林了,也訪問日本的圖書館了。然后晚上在她住裡一起看辦動畫電影了。
Ich hatte einen schöner Tag mit einer guter Freundin von mir, herumlaufend und redend in der Stadt. Wir haben eine große chinesische Gartenkunst besucht, wo wir Kuchen gegessen haben, und einen japanischen Buchladen. Wir haben darauf einen Teil von einem anime Film im Abend zusammen angesehen, wo sie wohne.
I had a lovely day with a good friend of mine wandering around the city and talking. We visited a grand Chinese Garden, where we had cake, and a Japanese bookshop. We then in the evening watched part of an anime film together, where she lives.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Znex wrote:Frohe Valentinsdag, alle!
Bisch Rhiländer worre?
Are you Rhenish now?

Ich hab nichts Ungewöhnliches gemacht. Zum Abendessen hab ich mir eine Pizza vorbereitet, aber ich hab sie mit braunem Senf garniert und das war ein Irrtum. Das hat mir die Speiseröhre verbrannt und ich bin schlecht geschlafen.
I didn't do anything special. For dinner I made myself a pizza, but I topped it with mustard greens and that was a mistake. It burned my oesophagus and I slept badly.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Ich habe mich über "Valentinsdag" auch gewundert
I also wondered about "Valentinsdag".
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote:Ich habe mir über "Valentinsdag" auch gewundertGedanken gemacht.
"Wundern" im Deutschen ist eher "staunen".
"Wundern" in German is more like "marvel".

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

linguoboy wrote:
Znex wrote:Frohe Valentinsdag, alle!
Bisch Rhiländer worre?
Are you Rhenish now?
Ach, ich denke, dass etwas Norwegisch eingeschlichen müsste. :o
Oop, I think a bit of Norwegian must have slipped in.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Znex wrote:情人節怎麼樣,你們?有沒有能和你們的伴侶或者好朋友會合? :-D
Wie geht/ging Valentinsdag für euch? Habt ihr getroffen ihrer eure Partner oder enge Freunde?
How is/was Valentine's Day for you guys? Did you get to meet up with your partners or close friends?
その「連れ合い」って、何?
Sono "tsureai"tte, nani?
What is this "partner"?

「油の火曜日」*には新しい友達と会って、セムラを食べた。この人はアメリカ人で、一度デートしているが、彼は私を欲しくなかった。 :cry:
"Abura no kayōbi"* ni wa atarashii tomodachi to atte, semura wo tabeta. Kono hito wa Amerika-jin de, ichido deeto shite iru ga, kare wa watashi wo hoshikunakatta. :cry:
On Fat Tuesday I met with a new friend, and we ate semlas. This guy is an American, and we have been on a date once. But he didn't want me. :cry:

*I had trouble finding an appropriate word for Fat Tuesday. Wikipedia would only reference Mardi Gras, which I don't think is quite the same thing, or some other term that contained the word for Wednesday. :?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

同じだよ。マルディグラってフランス語だから。
Onnaji da yo. Mardi Gras-tte France-go dakara
It's the same. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday".

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マルディグラ をチェックして、英語では「告解の火曜日」とか呼ばれるって。イギルスではパンケーキデイとよく呼ばれるんだ。
wikipedia wo check shite, eigo de wa 'kokkai no kayoubi' toka yobareru tte. Igirisu de wa pancake day to yoku yobareru nda.
check the wiki page for Mardi Gras in Japanese, it has a couple of other options like "Repentance Tuesday". In English it's actually Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day (in the UK).

日本ではないんで、過ぎちゃって、フェースで聞き込んだ。遅く昨日は、思い出させてからホットケーキを作った。でもレントとかを祝わない
Nihon de wa nai-nde, sugichatte, face de kikikonda. Osoku kinou wa, omoidasasete kara hot-cake wo tsukutta. Demo Lent toka wo iwawanai
It's not a done thing here, so I only found out about it on facebook after it had been and gone. I had pancakes yesterday, a few days late, cos I was reminded of it. But I don't celebrate Lent or anything like that.
Last edited by finlay on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

バレンタインは、一人暮らし :cry:
barentain wa, hitori gurashi
i was all alone on valentines day D;

ごめん、なんかメロドラマチックな感じだった。彼氏は仕事があっただけなので
gomen, nanka melodramatic na kanji datta. kareshi wa shigoto ga atta dake nanode
naw, i should stop being a drama queen, sorry. my boyfriend was just working

日本はバレンタインをおかしくやってる。ここは、女性が彼氏だけじゃなくて、全ての男性にチョコレートをあげる日なんだ。だから先週、彼のお母さんは俺にフェレロロシェを16個くれて、嬉しかった。もう一個しか食べてない
Nihon wa valentine wo okashiku yatteru. koko wa, josei ga kareshi dake janakute, subete no dansei ni chocolate wo ageru hi nanda. Dakara senshuu, kare no okaasan wa ore ni ferero rocher wo 16-ko kurete, ureshikatta. Mou ikko shika tabetenai
They don't do valentine's right here... the girls give chocolate to all the boys, not just their boyfriends. So last week i got 16 ferrero rochers from my boyfriend's mum. So i was happy about that. I've eaten all but one. :oops:

今日は、レンタインデイを祝います!意味は英語での親父ギャグで、友達のバレンタインということなんです〜一緒にボードゲームとか遊びます
Kyou wa, PA-rentain day wo iwaimasu! Imi wa eigo de no oyaji gag de, tomodachi no valentine to iu koto nan desu~~ issho ni board game toka asobimasu
Today, i'm going to celebrate 'Pal-entines day'. It's a silly pun, pal's valentine's, so i'm gonna meet up with a few friends and play some board games, etc.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

finlay wrote:でもレントとかを祝わない
Demo Lent toka wo iwawanai
But I don't celebrate Lent or anything like that.
Niemand "feiert" die Fastenzeit. Sie wird nur "eingehalten".
Nobody "celebrates" Lent. It's only "observed" or "kept".

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

Gibt's so wenig Leute, die ein/e Gatte/in oder ein/e Freund/in haben?? Ich hätte schwören können, dass ich mehr Leute als die kennen hätte. :oops:
Est-ce que y'a si peu de gens qu'ait un/e époux/se o un amour?? J'aurais juré que j'aie connu plus de gens que ça.
Tem tão pouca gente que tenha um/a cônjuge ou um amor?? Eu jurava que eu conhecia mais gente do que isso.
Oes cyn lleied o bobl sy priod neu gariad gynni hi?? Tynges i mod i'n nabod mwy o bobl na hyn.
An bheil cho beag de dhaoine an bheil céile no gaol aca?? Mhionnaich mi gun robh mi eòlach air bharrachd de dhaoine.
Are there so few people who have a spouse or love?? I could've sworn I knew of more people than that.
日本はバレンタインをおかしくやってる。ここは、女性が彼氏だけじゃなくて、全ての男性にチョコレートをあげる日なんだ。だから先週、彼のお母さんは俺にフェレロロシェを16個くれて、嬉しかった。もう一個しか食べてない
Nihon wa valentine wo okashiku yatteru. koko wa, josei ga kareshi dake janakute, subete no dansei ni chocolate wo ageru hi nanda. Dakara senshuu, kare no okaasan wa ore ni ferero rocher wo 16-ko kurete, ureshikatta. Mou ikko shika tabetenai
They don't do valentine's right here... the girls give chocolate to all the boys, not just their boyfriends. So last week i got 16 ferrero rochers from my boyfriend's mum. So i was happy about that. I've eaten all but one. :oops:
Ich bin froh, dass du zumindest etwas Liebe von der Mutter von deinem Freund gekriegt habest. :wink:
Je suis heureux que t'aies reçu un peu d'amour de la mère de ton ami au moins.
Eu estou feliz que você ganhou algum amor da madre do namarado finalmente.
Dw i'n falch dy fod di wedi cael rhywfaint o gariad o fam dy gariad o leiaf.
Tha mi toilichte gun d'fhuair thu cuid de ghaol bho mhàthair do bhràmair air an cha as lugha.
I'm glad you got some love from your boyfriend's mum at least.