Native American survival scenario

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Native American survival scenario

Post by mèþru »

Found one I like: मिली बोली or Miliboli, which can be interpreted both as mixed language and meeting language.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

OK, so that Algolang has been rejigged yet again (what a surprise), mainly because I felt the previous incarnation was too close to Crow in a part of the world where such contact effects don't appear to be very strong at all. In some respects it's kind of returned to how it was originally, but at the same time also radically different. Details have yet to be fully sketched out but here's a taster example sentence.

posakooponinaa noopaa maka otii iisinooko.
posakooponi(n)-aa noopaa maka otii iisi-nook-o
morning-LOC chief bow arrow.PL 3.PRF-fetch.II
The chief will fetch the bow and arrows in the morning.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Remember, the major western migrations due to the Beaver Wars don't happen. In fact, there is a push in the opposite direction from increasing Lakota and Dakota populations. Some migrate to the Great Plains and adapt to life there. This group splits culturally and linguistically from the others who stay in Minnesota and expand east and south to the Illinois country. I'm not sure whether the western group would ever abandon agriculture; the others definitely don't.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I'm not really sure what groups are even in the Plains vs Illinois post-1680. Migrations to the Plains would certainly happen, but I'm not sure how much or who and whether they displace local tribes or are assimilated.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I detest beer, this is all based of what I could find on Wikipedia:

Pre-19th century Karlslander cuisine used hominy for almost all grains; all wheat food was reserved for holidays. The main drink of the colony was a fermented maize drink called Maisbier; rum was mainly produced for export. Rum also served as a currency, as even in the homeland there was a serious lack of actual currency. Maisbier was invented by a Pomeranian ale brewer in 1698; it uses flint corn, top-fermenting yeast, Hallertau hops and fruit juice. Due to a very low alcohol content (1-3% abv) and a lack of clean water, this beer was drunk more than water. A stronger version (8-10% abv) invented in 1774 by Hans Carsten Jakobs, a free black bartender and pub owner somewhere around OTL New Orleans or the Pearl River. Original called Starkgebräu, the beer eventually was just called Carstensbier. This is shortened to Carsten in slang, and became the international name for this drink. It is the national drink of Karlsland and still the most popular alcoholic beverage there to this day.

In the 19th century, Haitian immigrants started planting rice. It overtook corn as the main staple food by the 1870s. It is mainly eaten in the form of congee, which was independently invented in Karlsland. These stews generally use short-grain brown rice and beans (and optionally meat). The most common type of meat is pork.

Immigrants from Germany during and after the industrial revolution reintroduced the ingredients and cuisine of Northern Germany. Their holiday desserts have largely supplanted earlier holiday dessert traditions in the colony.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Lost a post about Karlsland wine (hybrid with muscadine grapes)
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Mikst-blɥdz are a sort of English Métis. They are mainly Protestant. They usually speak English (not Traatɥŋ) and indigenous languages. This distinct ethnicity originated in colonial times from trappers and explorers who intermarried with Amerinds as well as converted Amerinds. They have a dual European and Amerind identity, but they tend to have more in common culturally with the latter. White or black people who lived along with Amerinds but married with other non-indigenous peoples are also considered mikst-blɥdz; it is often said the concept of being mikst-blɥdz is more of an idea than an ancestry. Mikst-blɥdz helped pacify tensions between the Amerinds in the region of Ontario, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan and Ohio and the colonists. When the colonies became independent, they were ignored by CFAT's government and sought closer relations with England, Guyenne and France for both themselves and their indigenous friends and relatives. By modern times, the term is considered offensive, with Mikst-blɥdz usually defining themselves by tribe or as multiracial. 2/3rds of the population live in French North America and 1/3 in CFAT.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Denmark starts a new period of prosperity after the Twenty Years' War moves away from the Baltic. Urban wages increase, luring poor farmers from Sweden who face new, cheaper competition from Eastern Europe. Scanian farmers grow rich as the demand for food skyrockets. The decline in the nobility's power ends as English parliament becomes an influence on Danish government. Spices sold by French merchants and turkeys introduced from England enrich the sophisticated Copenhagener's palate. One French merchant settles in 1660 to establish the first Danish coffeehouse (Strangely, coffeehouses are not common France yet).
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Denmark starts a new period of prosperity after the Twenty Years' War moves away from the Baltic. Urban wages increase, luring poor farmers from Sweden who face new, cheaper competition from Eastern Europe. Scanian farmers grow rich as the demand for food skyrockets. The decline in the nobility's power ends as English parliament becomes an influence on Danish government. Spices sold by French merchants and turkeys introduced from England enrich the sophisticated Copenhagener's palate. One French merchant settles in 1660 to establish the first Danish coffeehouse (Strangely, coffeehouses are not common France yet).
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Danes establish a factory in Tranquebar as in real life. They also make a trade post in western Ghana's coast which is often frequented by Scottish and English slave companies. They then made an alliance with a neighbouring kingdom in eastern Ivory Coast against the expanding Ashanti.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Is there any biome-related reason for why sugar plantations weren't a big thing in the Ivory and Gold Coasts? If not, the Danish also plant sugar there. Wikipedia says that at the time there was an ethnicity there called the Agoua, but I can't find references to them outside the article on the Anyi (an Akan ethnicity) Kingdom of Sanwi that pushed them out of the Aby lagoon. I imagine that the Danish treaty is with these non-Anyi people.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The Danish establish their Ghanaian fort and port in Princes Town and their Ivorian fort and port here:https://www.google.com/maps/place/5°08' ... -3.2733056, right next to a place where the French had sent four Capuchin missionaries in 1637. The French might end up annexing the Danish colony.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Both the Maliki and Hanafi schools are commonly used in interpreting Sharia among the Muslim population of Malta.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

French do not establish protectorates for towns on the coast of Tanzania and Kenya; I didn't realise that the Portuguese basically ruled the coast. Since the Ajuuraan sultanate was conquered by France, the Oromo do not find resistance to expansion in Somalia. The French convert about 60% of them to Catholicism. Another 40% become Sunni. French missionaries travel to other Oromo territories and convert most of them to the Catholic Church. Catholic Oromos were systematically favoured over Muslim Oromos and Somalis by the French administration. Catholic Oromos were brought to French Yemen to help keep the local population in check.
kårroť