What do you call this?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Richard W
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Richard W »

I'd call the old-style torch a "burning brand" if I had to make it clear that it wasn't an electric torch. Another possibility is 'flaming torch'. I used to think a 'flashlight' was a particularly brilliant type of torch, perhaps an arc light, rather than the feeble type of (electric) torch or bicycle headlamp I am familiar with. I am also acquainted with acetylene torches for welding and blowtorches for stripping paint.
I'd call the tin a 'biscuit tin', unless the primary function of the one in question was as a 'cake tin'.

User avatar
Posts: 3197
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: One of the dark places of the world

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Salmoneus »

KathTheDragon wrote:A cookie tin. Even if there are no cookies.
Woah! Generalised 'cookie' in Britain!?

I'd call it a tin, or specifically a biscuit tin.

[to me, it couldn't be a cake tin even if it had cakes in it. A cake tin is the tin you make the cake in. That may be specific to me as someone who grew up with exposure to professional cake-making, though.]
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

User avatar
Posts: 2139
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:48 am
Location: Brittania

Re: What do you call this?

Post by KathTheDragon »

No, I'd be more likely to call it a biscuit tin if it were rectangular. Cookie tin is just what immediately came to mind.

Post Reply