Japanese translation questions

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Japanese translation questions

Post by Qwynegold »

I'm participating in a translation contest, and there are a couple of things I'm stuck on. I tried asking on Facebook, but I didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd try asking here. Since it's a contest, I don't know if I'm really allowed to ask for help. The rules don't say anything. But if anyone can at least give some hints, I'd really appreciate it.

Problem #1
それであんたはその家事代行会社に入れるってこと?

ううん個人的に 雇いたいんだって

はあ?

っていうか話聞いてるとお父さんが無理やり頼み込んだみたい

What is this "individual employment"? First I thought it's some kind of specific term, but I've tried googling it and haven't really found anything.

Problem #2
あたし処女のまま生理上がったからね

勘違いしないで男にはモテたし彼氏もいたわ

でも そのうちいつかはって思って結果52歳で独り…

This last sentence is difficult. I think はって refers to 果つ (to end). But was it her period that stopped coming, or was it her popularity that stopped? And what is 思って doing there?

Problem #3
お金がたまる間だけでも百合ちゃんのところに置いてもらえばいいのかなあ

いや 私が家事をして変にそれがしっくりきちゃったら私も百合ちゃんもずぶずぶ そこから抜け出せなく なりそう…!

「もう ずっとこのままでいいじゃん」的な
怖!

I just want to check if I've understood the middle part correctly. "No. I do the household chores, and we would get along unusually well, so we wouldn't leave the house...!"

Problem #4
まずは体を拭いて着替えをしましょうか

パジャマ
パジャマと

下着の引き出しは勝手に開けちゃダメだよなあ

パンツは いっか

I can't tell if パンツ means pants or underwear. She's taking out pajamas, so why would she need pants? But then why would she wonder where the underwear are, she already knows they're in the drawer. Can you even call male underwear パンツ, or is it just used about panties? Later on she does go on to buy new boxers though.

Problem #5
鍋の残りでしか作ったことないけどめんつゆからでも普通に 美味しく作れるもんだねえ

This is the most problematic part. Is 鍋の残り an expression? I can't find anything on Google though. The context here is that she made ojiya for her employer, and is now eating half of it herself. There was already microwaveable rice and noodle soup base in the cupboard, but she had to go and buy eggs and spring onion. So I don't understand why she's saying "I haven't made it before from what's left in the pot".

Problem #6
Another text I'm translating is a children's book, so there's no kanji. The main characters are called ほしじいたけ and ほしばあたけ. Could ほし refer to 干し? So they are "dried up grandpa shroom" and "dried up gramma shroom"?

Problem #7
「タマゴタケくん、ころころころがっちゃって……。」

「こりゃ たいへんじゃっ!」というが はやいか……
What is はやい doing there? Are they implying that he was too quick to judge the situation?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Japanese translation questions

Post by Soap »

パンツ is glossed as "men's underwear; underpants" and nothing else in my late 1980s paperback dictionary. If the meaning has changed, I can confirm it was correct at least in the 80s.

Thats about all I can help with :P
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

KusuWara
Niš
Niš

Post by KusuWara »

Problem 2: いつかは (the last kana pronounced /wa/) is an emphatic way of saying "sooner or later". って思って indicates that what came before is what someone thought.

Problem 4: パンツ can refer to pants, shorts, or undergarments - including male underwear. Also, I don't see the line where she's wondering where her underwear is.

svld
Sanci
Sanci

Post by svld »

Problem #1
個人的に is used for stating one's own opinion/preference.
Problem #3
No, if I do 家事 and 変に "do 家事" is/become しっくりきちゃった then (relation of) 私 and 百合ちゃん become ずぶずぶ "(and the situation that we) can't get out from it" なりそう[the aforementioned situation may come true].
Problem #4
パンツ by itself usually refers to the underwear (gender unspecific).
Problem #5
The only way she had made it were from what's left in the pot.
After thay ate pots, Japanese are accustomed to add rice or noodles into it as しめ.
Problem #6
Probably. From the word itself we don't know whether ほしばあたけ is a mushroom or a bamboo but most likely it's about mushrooms.
Problem #7
https://www.weblio.jp/content/%E8%A8%80 ... 4%E3%81%8B

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Thanks for the answers everyone! I've sorted out most of the things now.

About パンツ. In anime and so I've only heard it used about panties, but in my textbook it only has the meaning pants. :mrgreen:

The only thing I still can't make out is problem #3. Firstly, what meaning does ずぶずぶ have here? Please see http://jisho.org/search/%E3%81%9A%E3%81 ... A%E3%81%B6. Which one of these, or is it something not listed there? Secondly, what is しっくり来(?)ちゃったら? So something like:

If I do the housework, and that goes oddly well, then me and Yuri would be ???. We wouldn't be able to able to escape from that.
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I've sent in my translations now, so I don't need more help anymore. Thanks again, everyone who helped!
My most recent quiz: