Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by hwhatting »

I wish you a speedy recovery!

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Hey, finding a good dentist can be hard enough in your own country and language! That is something to celebrate.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

alynnidalar wrote:Hey, finding a good dentist can be hard enough in your own country and language! That is something to celebrate.
Definitely! I'd actually heard some bad things about standards of dental care in Japan but I am definitely not disappointed.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

argh, board errors made me triple post
Last edited by Risla on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

augh, board errors made me triple post

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Hope you get better!
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

More evidence (if any were needed) that I'm an awful person:

So I had two "friends" who used to visit us frequently. They lived in Wisconsin and liked to come to Chicago for the weekend. We let them stay in our guest room. One time they had the bad luck to stay over the weekend right after we'd gotten my husband's cancer diagnosis. I wanted to let them know, but I just wasn't ready to talk about it yet. I'm sure they could tell something was wrong but they didn't know what and it seemed like I was avoiding them when I was just trying to get some recovery time. It was awkward and I felt really bad about it.

Some weeks later, one of them got in touch and said he'd be passing through again. I was trying to work myself up to explaining what was wrong and why I'd acted like I had. But as soon as he found out I'd be out of town on the weekend he wanted to crash with us, he cut the conversation short. Suddenly I felt like an idiot. I thought we had a friendship when really what we had was a convenient place to stay. Needless to say, I heard very little from him over the next couple years as my husband's health declined and he eventually died.

Flash forward to this week. That guy's husband has been posting about his health issues. He doesn't have a diagnosis yet, but he's not counting on the tumours turning out to be benign. Of course most of me is sad and upset for him. But a nasty little part of me remembers his husband's behaviour and thinks, "Now you'll find out what it's like."

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

As unfortunate as that is to hear, honestly, I think you're being a little hard on yourself. I think anyone in the same circumstance would feel roughly the same way if not worse. I mean, I probably would.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I seemed to have worked through it. The husband is starting a blog to talk about his diagnosis and I gave him some pointers and told him I'd be following it. His better half is still in denial, so the poor sod is going to need all the support he can get.