The Almeopedia!

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

The Almeopedia!

Post by Warmaster »

Ok, i've only been on five minutes and have already plowed through Kebri and Cuezi pages. Somehow i fear i shan't be getting much writing done for a while :P
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

The resemblance (in appearance, I mean) between Benhêk and Nortala is quite scary...... I hope it wasn't deliberate! :roll:

Anyway, I'm enjoying it a lot, but there are two things I really miss, and I think these should be a priority even before adding more articles:

* IPA transcriptions, for the title of each article at least, especially if it's a name. Remember that those of us who enjoy dipping into your work but don't yet know it back to front might not know offhand what language a particular name is from. Also, having examples makes it easier to get to learn the pronunciation rules of each language.

* Redirects. For instance, typing "Benhek", without the accent, into the search box should get to the article on Benhêk.
Last edited by Nuntar on Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

w00t.

I've been waiting for this for years.

Literally.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Nifty as hell. I always wondered where the idea for the Elenicoi came from.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

All I have to say is: *glee*
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

Zerrakhi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Zerrakhi »

I just received my notification:
ChangeDetection.com robot wrote:At your request we have been monitoring the following page for
changes:

http://www.zompist.com/change.html

A change was detected at:

Sat Aug 26 10:05:34 PDT 2006
Unfortunately it's very late here, and it will have to wait until a more sensible hour...

Leo
Niš
Niš

Post by Leo »

Great move! :D Wish it had been done sooner

Kuh-five
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kuh-five »

Well, I guess this is as good a place as any.

The template for countries should have the thumbnail map incorporated into it (see here), right below the name at the top. I'd do it myself except I have no clue how to do it.

Nice job!
[quote="Downtimer"]I was "let go" (canned, but no one said it straight out) from a daycare center because I was too affectionate with the kids (that's just how I am, I'm not a molester or anything)[/quote]

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

My first impression was: Qué copado, la reputa madre!!!!

my second impression: wow.

Then I shed some tears.

now, I'll go read some more. :wink:
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

Gareth
Niš
Niš

Post by Gareth »

Great to see this up. I just have a few questions:
When Mark writes new material, will it all go in the Almeopedia, or will the zompist.com site be updated as well?
I notice that the Curymise resemble the ilii, in hairstyle and body shape if not in skin colour. Presumably there's no genetic link, so is this parallel evolution or cultural imitation?
I'm having the same problem with the Almeopedia as I have with the Wikipedia - Internet Explorer displays all the special characters as either little boxes or inappropriate characters. How do I see say, a glottal stop?

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

It's great. Particulalry, I'm amused by the biographies. I liked reading about the particulars of how Ružeon's reconstruction. The Řon Lebië Kestië sounds like some kind of Dewey Decimal Language.

Oh no, the Wekipaijua!

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Almeopedia -- the reason I fell short on sleep last night. Amazing.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Great work by Mark as usual. The "fanboy" entry for the Knights of Devora is hysterical.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

Very interesting. Two thumbs up. I didn't see the Fanboy version of the Knights of Devora. Major chuckles! :D

(Minor gripe/rant: I just wish everything didn't have to be in Arial. Man, I hate Arial, but all Wikis are all set up to use it, dernem.)

I wonder, maybe the country entries could include figures on population? I know Verduria has about as many as one of the major European countries. How about Dhekhnam, Xurno, Kebri, and the rest??

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

ils wrote:Great work by Mark as usual. The "fanboy" entry for the Knights of Devora is hysterical.
On the less fanboyish side, the proper entry keeps making me think of Batman! :P
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

tsmoss
Niš
Niš

Post by tsmoss »

I loved all the humor in it--the aforementioned "fanboy" version of the Knights of Dévora article, the Wikipedia parody, Lore as Iesu, Chow Yun-Fat as Beretos.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Great idea on the IPA. Very possibly some people are not up on all the phonologies of Almea.

The redirects are a good idea too (I've put in some already), though that would be low priority for me, and a useful thing readers could do.

Fey, I kind of like the thumbnail maps where they are. Besides, templates are just horrible to work with. MediaWiki markup language is really nice for many things, but whoever invented the template syntax should be shot.
Gareth wrote:Great to see this up. I just have a few questions:
When Mark writes new material, will it all go in the Almeopedia, or will the zompist.com site be updated as well?
Depends on the scope. The 'pedia format works best for short to medium-sized articles. Longer items like stories and grammars will continue to get their own pages on zompist.com.

To get Windows IE to display special characters, you'll probably need to install a language pack, or something. If someone's done this successfully, maybe they can explain. (In this area the Mac is ahead, so I figured I'd use Unicode throughout and let Windows catch up.)

Zerrakhi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Zerrakhi »

I've created a user page and used it to store a list of ideas.

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

zompist wrote:The redirects are a good idea too (I've put in some already), though that would be low priority for me, and a useful thing readers could do.
Oh :oops: I hadn't realised it was set up so other users could edit -- not the sort of thing I'd feel comfortable doing with my conworld! :wink: I wouldn't mind making myself useful by doing some redirects.

alephnaught
Niš
Niš

Post by alephnaught »

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Nuntar wrote:Oh :oops: I hadn't realised it was set up so other users could edit -- not the sort of thing I'd feel comfortable doing with my conworld!
Well, it's not becoming a collaborative conworld, just a collaborative resource. :) See the Editing Guidelines for more details. The analogy I use is that it's like a Battlestar Galactica wiki: you shouldn't be writing episodes or creating characters, but you don't have to wait for Ron Moore to write it all.

Plus, you can write articles in Almean languages with almost no restrictions. :)

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

zompist wrote:Plus, you can write articles in Almean languages with almost no restrictions. :)
Hmm... is it possible to do as they have in Wikipedia, and set up a Verdurian version of Almeopedia? :P

Just imagine, reading an article and looking on the left-hand language bar, and seeing "Soa Sfahe" or "Kebreni" instead of "Deutsch", "Français" and the rest... :D

Here's a question: Almeopedia says that Verdurian is the language of about 27 million people in Eretald. The Verdurian language article at http://www.zompist.com/verdurian.htm says 55 million. Which is it? :?:

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

BGMan wrote:Here's a question: Almeopedia says that Verdurian is the language of about 27 million people in Eretald. The Verdurian language article at http://www.zompist.com/verdurian.htm says 55 million. Which is it?
It's the smaller number. There's a post somewhere here where Zomp says he overestimated when he wrote 55 million. I believe he also said there are 6 million in Verduria itself (not sure if that meant the kingdom or the province).
Noranaya died again. Resurrection pending.

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

Kick. Ass.

Personally, I liked the police mugshot of Jesus.

Too many mammaries to be safe work browsing though, I have to say.
CONLANG Code: C:S/G v1.1 !lafh+>x cN:L:S:G a+ x:0 n4d:2d !B A--- E-- L--- N0 Id/s/v/c k- ia--@:+ p+ s+@ m-- o+ P--- S++ Neo-Khitanese

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

kuroda wrote:Kick. Ass.

Too many mammaries to be safe work browsing though, I have to say.
Haha, I noticed that all the pictures of the different Almean human races are females. I'm sure Zomp knows his audience will be mainly men and is catering to the market. :P (Not that I mind... 8))

Anyone else notice that the picture of Fanao was the same as the Knights of Devora Fanboy version? :D