Almean Cartography

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Almean Cartography

Post by So Haleza Grise »

The Historical Atlas is excellent (all the more so when I'm spending hours making maps myself), but it has got me wondering about how Almeans see their own world.

Does anyone (Zomp, or anyone else) think they could produce an attempt at a native Almean map?
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

I doubt that I could, but I agree that it would be a neat thing to see. 8) Mark has already commented that Verdurian maps of the Plain generally place west at the top and east at the bottom (in part because the respective homes of the ilii and ktuvoki are in those directions), with the northward course of the Svetla appearing as a horizontal line.

I have had a vision of a pictorial map of my main con-country, drawn in native fashion, with the "original" being depicted along a wall in said country's imperial council chambers. (In this case, west, the home of the ocean and the sunset, would be at the top). I don't know if I'll ever manage to do it justice, however.

p@,
Glenn

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Somewhere he mentioned Xurnese maps, which have a distorted vision of the Plain and the North generally: Kebri, its main trading partner in the area, is drawn several times larger than it is.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

That sounds like a fun idea; I'll take a stab at it. No promises as to when, however. :)