Polysynthetic Conlang

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:
The Iroquois languages also have verb compounding, with restictions.
That's interesting. Do you have some examples?
Examples would be unenlightening, since you know nothing of the languages. The basic idea is that you can combine roots as long as the proniminal prefix(es) apply equally to all of them; kind of like a serial verb construction.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

jburke wrote:
Eddy the Great wrote:
The Iroquois languages also have verb compounding, with restictions.
That's interesting. Do you have some examples?
Examples would be unenlightening, since you know nothing of the languages. The basic idea is that you can combine roots as long as the proniminal prefix(es) apply equally to all of them; kind of like a serial verb construction.
So you could compound like to get an equivalent of "He made and destroyed it", but not "He made it and destroyed me"?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What salient behavioral differences do cecropia moths and luna moths have? I'm asking as an example of my problem. I can't come up with words based on behavior or feeling for so many animals and it's even harder for plant. Then you get to rocks which can't be refered to with verbs.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I'm guessing that when it comes to naming species and things like that, even the most verbal of languages have to use meaningless words at some point. "Cecropia" and "Luna" don't mean anything to us English speakers, so why not nonsense words for your language too? (Or loanwords, or something.)

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Like a word meaning "to be a luna moth"? Does JBurke have any comments on this?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Eddy the Great wrote:Like a word meaning "to be a luna moth"? Does JBurke have any comments on this?
Eddy, I do believe that Jeff is ignoring you.

To answer your question, the word should be something like
<flap-soft-(v)>. With a possible few extra determiners to indicate that you mean a Luna moth, and not a Hummingbird or Monarch.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

jburke

Post by jburke »

Drydic_guy wrote:
Eddy the Great wrote:Like a word meaning "to be a luna moth"? Does JBurke have any comments on this?
Eddy, I do believe that Jeff is ignoring you.
Not per se. I don't have the time to answer every question or read every thread; so I don't. I mostly hang around the Languages & Linguistics area, or None of the Above. I haven't found any conlangs/mythologies/etc. posted of late that are particularly interesting, so I don't visit this area as often.

To address your question: if there really is no difference at all between two insects, two animals, etc., then there won't be separate names for them. They'll be called by the same name. Naming goes by how they act, what they do; e.g., Halkomelem distinguishes the sandhill crane from the blue heron by the fact that the former flies with its neck outstretched, while the latter folds its neck in flight. But visually they look very much alike.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

To address your question: if there really is no difference at all between two insects, two animals, etc., then there won't be separate names for them. They'll be called by the same name. Naming goes by how they act, what they do; e.g., Halkomelem distinguishes the sandhill crane from the blue heron by the fact that the former flies with its neck outstretched, while the latter folds its neck in flight. But visually they look very much alike.
I see. What about rock types? In your PDF, you had a word for alabaster.

Post by Guest »

MODERATOR EDIT: this post is by jsburke
Eddy the Great wrote:
I see. What about rock types? In your PDF, you had a word for alabaster.
Named for their textures, their uses, etc. And now and then for color. What something _does_ is more important than what it _is_; and a quality like hardness or smoothness, often called a "stative" by grammarians, is actually a process.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I like the word for mosquito translating as something like wind-with-slight-pain. I'm currently thinking about a good word for headache. I was thinking of something related to the feeling of the head being compressed. I'm really not sure I need a word meaning headache in some way, though. I was thinking of saying something to the effect to "Something squeezes my head" since that's exactly what it feels like to me, at least.

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:I like the word for mosquito translating as something like wind-with-slight-pain. I'm currently thinking about a good word for headache. I was thinking of something related to the feeling of the head being compressed. I'm really not sure I need a word meaning headache in some way, though. I was thinking of saying something to the effect to "Something squeezes my head" since that's exactly what it feels like to me, at least.
Nahaama?ta name?ko 'I hurt in my head' = I have a headache in Cheyenne.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Can you show me what the morphemes mean and where one begins and ends the way I often do?

jburke

Post by jburke »

Eddy the Great wrote:
Can you show me what the morphemes mean and where one begins and ends the way I often do?
Na=1st person subject
haama?=root for 'bad' (this root is often used for referring to bad mental or physical states)
ta =final

na=1st person possessive (should have a high pitch accent on it)
me?=head
ko=in/to

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delthayre »

I haven't got a lot of experience with Polysynthetic languages, but I've always loved their way of expressing things, so I think I'd venture a few thought on this.

Perhaps you could distinguish headaches, if subtlely. Perhaps have several words (operative term) with distinctions in meaning:
I-think-with-pain
I-dream-with-pain
Dream-with-needles
Think-with-needles
Although those suggest personal crisis more than a mere headache.

Maybe:
I-am-in-my-head-with-pain
Head-with-many-weights
Those are perhaps more appropros. But I don't know your language well enough to judge.

I'll probably fiture something like this out myself some day, I doubt I'll resist the urge to tinker with polysyntheticism long, but long enough to enough that I don't try to conlang out of my depth.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What kind of headaches would they represent? I don't seem to get many different types of headaches.

Shinali Sishi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shinali Sishi »

well, we have the sharp pain of a sinus headache, the infamous migrane, headache from hitting head, stress headaches, etc
all of these also have severity levels. :mrgreen:
Vanafanyu
Kegewa nita li alana!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

How do names work in say, Mohawk? I know they are also verbs, but do they take some sort of change because they're names or something?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Eddy the Great wrote:How do names work in say, Mohawk? I know they are also verbs, but do they take some sort of change because they're names or something?
I don't believe so. If you recall, there was a thread last month discussing this topic
(you were part of it too, Eddy), and Jeff wrote the following:
jburke wrote:The difference between the traditions is that European names tend to be enetities unto themselves, whereas Indian names are usually just ordinary words in the tribal language. Indian names also tend to directly describe the person, or attribute something to him directly.
p@,
Glenn

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What do you think would be a good way to express these words with verbal phrases?

cat
dog
chair
road
fan/air conditioner
car/truck(should there be separate words?)

A few ideas wouldn't hurt.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Eddy the Great wrote:What do you think would be a good way to express these words with verbal phrases?

cat
dog
chair
road
fan/air conditioner

cat = disturbs-one-just-before-sleep-comes

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

How would you name cities? They don't do anything.

JT_the_Ninja
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JT_the_Ninja »

I name them by

a) use
b) geography
c) randomness :mrgreen:

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Eddy the Great wrote:What do you think would be a good way to express these words with verbal phrases?

cat
dog
chair
road
fan/air conditioner

Dog: it-habitually-bites-arms-off

Chair: it-breaks-when-one-sits-on-it

Road: it-goes-ever-on-and-on

Car/truck: it-habitually-runs-people-over

...on second thought, maybe not. :mrgreen:

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Jaaaaaa wrote:Road: it-goes-ever-on-and-on
Ah, yes...
The Road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began...
The possibilities are endless; Jeff previously mentioned that the Cheyenne for "car" translates as "it-burns-as-it-goes-along-thing", and one Athapaskan language translates "typewriter" roughly as "you-write-it-and-they-throw-it-away", after the early typing practice exercises.

Cat: "hunts-small-squeaking-things"; "rumbles" (purring); "sees-the-sun-and-moon" (because of the way the pupils of their eyes adjust to the light); or my favorite, "walks-by-itself". :mrgreen:

City names might be formed after historical events ("they-fought-nine-nights"), or, more likely, geographic descritions; I've already mentioned that there is a small town here in Ohio named Roaming Shores (presumably after a shifting river bed).

p@,
Glenn

jburke

Post by jburke »

("they-fought-nine-nights")
I've named some battles like this; but I prefer names with a little more umph. E.g., the name I translate as Starlit War literally means '(the)-stars-light-our(exc.)-battles'.