[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Conlang relay [relocated] (aka "The Cursed Relay")

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 102  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:42 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:12 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Gets two thumbs up from me.

As far as the clash of two empires thing goes, though... I sorta envisions Huyfarah splintering at least by the time of Puoni. Though I wrote nothing, at the time I was dealing with placenames for the Puoni lexicon I named a couple "nations" of the former Huyfarahan coast. IIRC one of them was called Ragui in Puoni.

My thought had been that Kuaguatia was too underpopulated, out of the way, and unimportant to be conquered by anyone else until maybe a couple hundred years before the Puoni grammar, by which time Huyfarah was no longer in a position to occupy it (or might well have been already dead). Kasca meanwhile, which was independent in 130 (or at least the southern parts were), can't possibly have avoided ended up being at least a client state of Huyfarah for a while. Still, Kasca is the home for my most-loved conlang Naidda and I would just as soon see that land re-emerge as one of the post-Huyfarah independent splinter-states. Even if it ends up small. I very much want a place in the timeline for potential descendents of Naidda that I or anyone else may create in the future.

Buruja in 130 was a transitional zone - and independent city-state (only nominally Kascan), with major trade routes from Lasomo, Rathedan, Huyfarah, and Kasca all connecting there. Realistically I think it would either have to eventually develop into a nation of its own or else be a prosperous province of Huyfarah until that empire splinters. (I think I named it a nation in the Puoni lexicon, but that's easily changeable.) So I don't think it's likely to be the home of a Daiadak language anytime in the first millennium YP. The stretch of river between Buruja and Lasomo, otoh, is wide open.

Another thing to keep in mind from a linguistic perspective is that Naidda and Ndok Aiso were intended to be two distant ends of a dialect continuum stretching along the Eige, with the Burujan dialect being intermediary between them. I don't know what, if anything, can be made of that. Perhaps Buruja ends up Faralo-speaking, I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:34 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:45 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:43 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I have just realised that polypersonal marking on the verb is already attested before even Ayāsthi, just not in Adāta... And it seems "conjugated" prepositions are too. (Though, Ayāsthi "conjugated" prepositions are entirely regular [for the moment...] and are presently analysed as clitic + pronoun.) I wonder if I should work that into the history somehow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:36 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:47 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I am presently working on the Ayāsthi vocabulary. Much fun - Adāta words reimported via ecclesiastic use of classical, Fáralo words to do with imperialism and governance...

If anybody wants, I have a full list of Adāta words with stress marked (acute for short+stress, circumflex for long+stress) with their etyma, plus verb stems. Glosses are also available, though caveat emptor, since some have undergone semantic shift.

Also... why not have this thread archived and start a new one? It's rather inconvenient to have the current status on page 7. (I wonder if the old threads have already been lost. Ah well.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:16 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Maybe we could prevail upon Legion to link to the family tree post from his first post. Short of that, it may help to keep in mind you can jump to page 7 by editing the URL in your browser's address bar so that the "start" number reads "start=150".

Also I would indeed appreciate the Adata words, in particular the full list of verbs and their stems. I can probably get Dewrad to add the information to the new Adata lexicon page. Also I discovered last night that the word for ox, which is bu:, is absent from the original lexicon page but present in the Adata sample text.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:13 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

It might be useful at this point to have a central repository for information, other than this thread. Maybe someone could put a page on the KQ or FrathWiki, with links to all the langs and maybe some general information about the relay and the world? Or if zompist doesn't mind, maybe such a page could go with the stuff from the first relay on Almeopedia?

I'd like to suggest, in the interest of making a more realistic continuum of languages, that any additional daughters of Adāta should be designed to share developments with one or more of the existing daughters. In other words, a new daughter could be designed as a sister of Æðadĕ, or intermediate between Ayāsth and Mavakhalan, or whatever.

Also, any current or future work on the existing languages-- such as the lexicon expansion project-- could be done in such a way that some early developments are shared. For example, we could agree on some semantic shifts and loans that are shared by several (or all) daughters. I think it would be neat if some of the terminology of Imperial Adāta could be worked out-- words relating to government and the military, names of important provinces, that sort of thing.

Along those lines, here's a short list of geographical names, not already in the lexicon, that I've put through the changes from Ndak Ta to Adāta, with their Faralo equivalents (most of these are places we've been talking about in the history discussion):

Akeladada = Enčélade (Ndok Aisô: Ngahêxôldod)
A'tāx Pētan = Etewg Peidæm (Pencek: Tah Ici)
A'tāx Tali = Lu-Tal (western Huyfárah)
Ēza = Eigə
Hō Tan = Tæm Hou
Mithu, Mōmithu = Miədu (city in S. Huyfárah)
Muphai, Mōmuphai = Muəbaz (Naidda: Momuva'e)
Palie = Palge (Naidda: Pawe)
Ū'sūr = Ussor (capital of Huyfárah)
Xōron Eiel = Eiwəl Gourun
Zi'phē = Boíəba (Ndok Aisô: Oigop'oibauxeu)

And here's a few that were listed at the bottom of the old Adāta lexicon, but don't seem to be on the new page:
Hazīli = Huyfárah
Haralo = Faralo
Kāxad = Kasca
Nara = Naidda
Lasomo = Axôltseubeu
Nokaiso = Ndok Aisô
Kasalad = Xšalad
Kasali = Xšali

Incidentally, is there (or was there ever) a pronunciation guide or phonology for Ndok Aisô? Or anything at all beyond what's on Almeopedia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:09 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:39 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:12 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:57 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:09 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:35 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:06 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:48 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 am 
Sanno
Sanno

It's actually possible that I didn't derive a native word from "ginig" because I didn't like the Adata reflex. However, a native word is probably needed. Given the religious significance of metalworking, I suggest a reflex of Gezoro lo:jaig, which is lo:jai "god" (seen in lo:zera "religion") with the same suffix as seen in xekha:g "ore", and which I assume to be an inanimate nominalising suffix (actually, it might be a fossilised Gezoro case form, IIRC). So Adata for "iron" is lo:za:g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:47 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:05 am 
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:04 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:20 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by Radius Solis on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 102  Next