Fictional Verdurian Money

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Fictional Verdurian Money

Post by brandrinn »

The con-money thread inspired me, so I drew this. It's how I imagine paper currency would look in Verduria if they used small bills for everyday trade and had roughly European aesthetics. That is of course Queen Elena, with the Es :ch ambra in the background. The denomination is 12 fali, since the note can theoretically be redeemed for that amount by the government.

I know Mark hates it when people dip their greasy fingers into Almea, but this was just a fun couple of hours.

[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Fictional Verdurian Money

Post by Neek »

brandrinn wrote:I know Mark hates it when people dip their greasy fingers into Almea, but this was just a fun couple of hours.
What?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Old Man Neek wrote:
brandrinn wrote:I know Mark hates it when people dip their greasy fingers into Almea, but this was just a fun couple of hours.
What?
Well, remember when Eddy used to write those fanfic stories set in Almea? Mark got pretty pissed off.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

This sort of thing doesn't bother me. It's nice, very European looking. Though don't European banknotes name the country? :)

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

shouldn't the woman have her tits hanging out

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

zompist wrote:This sort of thing doesn't bother me. It's nice, very European looking. Though don't European banknotes name the country? :)
Euros don't tend to. And in Britain, banknotes just say which Bank printed them - Bank of England, Royal Bank of Scotland, Bank of Ulster, etc.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

brandrinn wrote:
Old Man Neek wrote:
What?
Well, remember when Eddy used to write those fanfic stories set in Almea? Mark got pretty pissed off.
Well those were advocating anarchistic warfare against an 'opressive' male bourgeoisie, so...yeah.

And Dudicon, you're thinking of Minoans. And some Almean peasants.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

I noticed the note doesn't appear to mention "fali" anywhere on it. I know about the annoying Verdurian trait of not mentioning the denomination of money, but I'd expect that for paper money, they'd be a *bit* more formal and organized about that kind of thing.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

BGMan wrote:I noticed the note doesn't appear to mention "fali" anywhere on it. I know about the annoying Verdurian trait of not mentioning the denomination of money, but I'd expect that for paper money, they'd be a *bit* more formal and organized about that kind of thing.
Look at the image, you have a coin on it (however, I don't know if it's a fali). It would actually be a fairly good representation of the Verdurian mindset about coins and money.

Though, Queen Elena? She has been influential, but I wonder how she is viewed in (Verdurian) modern historiography, especially laymen views. I know that I would have liked her, even if she would be obviously too strong an Eled'e. A picture of Ervëa with Arcaln in the background would probably be more unifying than her.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Yiuel wrote: Look at the image, you have a coin on it (however, I don't know if it's a fali). It would actually be a fairly good representation of the Verdurian mindset about coins and money.

Though, Queen Elena? She has been influential, but I wonder how she is viewed in (Verdurian) modern historiography, especially laymen views. I know that I would have liked her, even if she would be obviously too strong an Eled'e. A picture of Ervëa with Arcaln in the background would probably be more unifying than her.
A note: Since there is no "Bank of Verduria," I had to basically treat the Lord of the Exchequer as if he were a one-man treasury (this is why I forgot to include the country name, since some bills just say "Bank of X-land"). The image is technically not a coin, but the city seal, which I imagine would be used as a symbol of both Verduria and the Lord of the Exchequer. I didn't feel the need to indicate "fali," just like many bills don't bother to say "Euros" or "Won." I imagine the fali would become the defacto currency of the entire kingdom anyway, if these bills were introduced.

Another note: Queen Elena was chosen for two reasons: 1) I quickly found a good image of her to vandalize, and 2) there is a strong tradition in Almean art to pretend that males do not exist. Ervea could be used for larger bills and government savings bonds, and perhaps the occasional commemerative plate.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Yiuel wrote:A picture of Ervëa with Arcaln in the background
That's the 60 fali note.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Elena is actually a good choice— after all she presided over the most significant war in the last three centuries.

Caleon would certainly be used as well. (Interesting question: is the place of honor among denominations the lowest (thus the most often seen), or the highest? American money takes the former position.)

Ervëa not so much so; he's a Cadhinorian emperor, not a Verdurian king. It'd be like putting Julius Caesar on French bills.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

So Ervëa would be on the Zhesifonian currency, then.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Shm Jay wrote:So Ervëa would be on the Zhesifonian currency, then.
Poor Ervëa.
- Daneydzaus

Ambessalion
Niš
Niš

Post by Ambessalion »

love it...you've inspired me :-D
Ahmie K-[ay]

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Just as a thought, wouldn't Alric appear on current banknotes? He's the reigning king, and in every monarchy I know of the current monarch is the one shown on the banknotes. Since even the flag bears the king's initials, it seems likely that his face would be put on the money.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

thedukeofnuke wrote:Just as a thought, wouldn't Alric appear on current banknotes? He's the reigning king, and in every monarchy I know of the current monarch is the one shown on the banknotes. Since even the flag bears the king's initials, it seems likely that his face would be put on the money.
Not the case in Canada. We have 5 banknotes (5,10,20,50,100), and Our Regina Dei Gratia appears only on one of them. Which brings me to answer zomp's question :

Interesting question: is the place of honor among denominations the lowest (thus the most often seen), or the highest? American money takes the former position

In Canada, neither. The Queen, who is obviously placed on the place of honor, appears on the 20$ bill. (We have Wilfrid Laurier, the first French-Can. prime Minister on the 5$).

I think it goes more on the ubiquitiness of bills. The 20$ bill is the most common bill (being the one you usually get in banks) and has just the right about of money for Canadians (who are mostly using debit cards anyway). So the more common a bill, the more honourable it will be. The same way the left flag on 2 or 4 and more poles or the middle flag on 3 poles is considered the most honourable place : because you can see it more.
- Daneydzaus

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

Yeah, Elizabeth II is smacked on one side of all Bank of England notes. On the other side you get various important people: Darwin, (Adam) Smith, Elgar, Dickens... each note gets a revamp every few years with a new person.

Actually, that raises a question: Does Verduria have a central bank? Or does each branch of banks, or provincial bank get to issue its own notes?
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

In Sweden, the 100kr bill is the most common and features Carl Von Linné. Is he really the most important person in Swedish history? I'd say that among all those featured on Swedish bills, Gustav Vasa would be the most important but he is shown on our 1000kr bill(the highest we have). I've come to the conclusion that on Swedish bills it's more honourable to be featured on a high bill.
What is most common? Having the most honoured person being displayed on the most used bill or the highest bill?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Well in Amrikaland it's the lowest denominations, as few people can name the people on $10s, $20s, and $50s. They generally remember $100s tho.

answers: 10, Alexander Hamilton; $20, Andrew Jackson; $50, US Grant; $100s, Benji Franklin.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Gremlins wrote: Actually, that raises a question: Does Verduria have a central bank? Or does each branch of banks, or provincial bank get to issue its own notes?
I doubt that Verduria has bank notes (currently). The Visitor's Guide and the "Kingdom of Verduria" page mention only coins for cash and the zetdeče, a bank draft, looks more like a cheque than like a bank note (that is it looks like a paper with which you ask your bank to pay a certain amount of coins to the bearer from your account, not like a promissory note issued by a bank).

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Anyone else think it's wonderfully ironic to have Grant on a banknote, given his record?

I realise that he's also a shooting-people-guy of some sort, but the only context I really know about him in is Black Friday - his underlings (and probably his wife and sister, and possibly him) took massive bribes to allow two financiers to corner the gold market. When he looked like being discovered, he flooded the market with gold to get revenge on the financiers (who escaped unharmed) - taking 20% off the stock market in a day, and depressing exports by 50%.
Black Friday was one of a series of scandals that made his name synonymous with corruption; it was also the first great step down the road to the failure of Jay Cooke and company four years later, triggering the Long Depression (also under Grant's watch).

So why is one of the worst American presidents ever, particularly one noted for his disasterous financial policies, on a banknote???
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Personal favoritism seems unlikely. The Treasury Secretary at the time was a Yale man who never met Grant (although he was born within spitting distance of Grant's mother). Republican favoritism, however, seems pretty solid, though I think technically Grant first came to be on the $50 bill in the early days of the Wilson administration. When the current bills' designs were fixed in the Hoover administration, more Republicans were chosen than Democrats, and Grant was confirmed as the portrait of the $50 bill.

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

Also he, y'know, won the Civil War.
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Corumayas wrote:Also he, y'know, won the Civil War.
He was President at that time, you mean.
- Daneydzaus