Languages you'd like to see

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Languages you'd like to see

Post by dhok »

This is by no means official, but I'm wondering what Almean languages you all want to see most.

Personally, I'm going for Obenzayet, Nanese, and Beic. in that order.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Munkhâši and Demoši. One of the Qarau dialects would be awesome to see as well, then we'd have representatives from all the major eastern Erelaic families save Somoyi-Methelyi.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Sarroc.

It's been eating away at me, seeing it there.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Drydic Guy wrote:Munkhâši and Demoši. One of the Qarau dialects would be awesome to see as well, then we'd have representatives from all the major eastern Erelaic families save Somoyi-Methelyi.
That, and Murtany and Mgunikpe.
Also-taking a look at the language map of Erelae-am I the only person to notice a group of people who speak Interior Vipodoh that has miraculously transplanted itself to Pronel and Bozan?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

dhokarena56 wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:Munkhâši and Demoši. One of the Qarau dialects would be awesome to see as well, then we'd have representatives from all the major eastern Erelaic families save Somoyi-Methelyi.
That, and Murtany and Mgunikpe.
Also-taking a look at the language map of Erelae-am I the only person to notice a group of people who speak Interior Vipodoh that has miraculously transplanted itself to Pronel and Bozan?
There's a difference in the color; what you're seeing is Cuoli/Cuolese, last living descendant of Wede:i.
Image Image

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Cheiyu.

And whatever the Tei speak.

Go SouthLib!
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

I'd be interested to see an icëlani language in more depth than what's in the Almeopedia, though perhaps it would be challenging to describe in text if so much of it is suprasegmental. Though the similarities to animal communication are noted, the existence of multiple languages suggests there's more to it than instinct. Do distant communities of icëlani have mutually unintelligible speech? Are the differences akin to differing dialects observed in some birds? These are questions that interest me, anyway!

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Demoshi - its morphology sounds amazing. Plus it's the language for evil invocations.
After that, I'd say Sarroc, Tžuro and the Western languages.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Chia-Sha.
vec

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

Zomp does good syntax - it'd be nice to see him do an isolating language, and of the ones we know a bit about I think either Uyse? or Omeguese would be the most interesting.
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Gremlins wrote:Zomp does good syntax - it'd be nice to see him do an isolating language, and of the ones we know a bit about I think either Uyse? or Omeguese would be the most interesting.
I'm pretty sure we'll get both Uyse? and Bé.
- Daneydzaus

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

I would like to see Tžuro.
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Uyseʔ - it reminds me of reconstructed Old Chinese.

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

boy #12 wrote:Uyseʔ - it reminds me of reconstructed Old Chinese.
Nah, Old Chinese was much scarier than Uyseʔ :P I think Lé looks more like a Chinese language, given that it's apparently SVO, tonal, and head-final. Omeguese looks, specifically, more like Mandarin, what with the way it makes compound words and the whole 'word salad' effect.
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I would like to see Sarroc, Lufaša, Demoshi and Qurau.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Well, it would be nice to see more sample texts.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

rotting ham wrote:Well, it would be nice to see more sample texts.
We can write some ourselves. I did that for my Oykumene article on Almeopedia.
- Daneydzaus

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Okay, how about Ṭeôši then? I've always been a fan of Nyay... I mean the adversarial method. Or is it too similar to Xurnese?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

rotting ham wrote:Okay, how about Ṭeôši then? I've always been a fan of Nyay... I mean the adversarial method. Or is it too similar to Xurnese?
I suppose it to be very similar to Xurnese. Pretty much the level of difference between French and Italian. Teosi seems to be simply Xurnese heavily influenced by Skourene.
- Daneydzaus

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

I have another one: Trêng from Tellinor
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

How about -- if such a thing is even possible -- a course in Old Skourene? (for those of us who like puzzles but cheat in the hard ones)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

rotting ham wrote:How about -- if such a thing is even possible -- a course in Old Skourene? (for those of us who like puzzles but cheat in the hard ones)
Figure it out yourself, and put it up for critique. It's not like you'll drown or anything.
Image Image

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Drydic Guy wrote:Figure it out yourself, and put it up for critique. It's not like you'll drown or anything.
Sure, I'll try. Expect to hear from me in a few years' time.

PS. Besides, only zompist knows about the nitty gritty details of Almean culture. Just look at the Verdurian course. There's no way I could come up with something like this for classical Skouras from both linguistic and social perspectives. I will try, though.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Hoping to head off any touchy situations... I really discourage anyone making up information about Almea. This board exists in part to encourage you all creating your own worlds. :)

However, I don't mind at all when people use the languages— e.g. Nick's Verdurian LJ. If you wanted to create Old Skourene lessons, that'd be cool. And of course feel free to ask grammatical questions or request new words.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

/me notes quietly that Zompist doesn't commit to which language will be next.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)