Verdurian Accents

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Verdurian Accents

Post by dhok »

I wonder if any of you speak/pronounce Verdurian in an accent other than Mazhtane. I'm sure a lot of Americans would, if they did speak Verdurian, use something rather close to Avelan; I myself prefer Ctesifonei, as the aspiration of the h's means no ugly vowel clusters when declining, say, Sfahe; nor do I have to deal with /q/ in clusters, in, say, ktuvok. What about everybody else?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

I prefer the Viminian dialect, particularly if there is a straw for me to chew on.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

I see myself speaking Basfahe in a seedy neighborhood in Verduria-Mazhtana
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

More than likely, I speak Verdurian with a slight Barakhinei accent thrown in, with something else that no one can quite place. As in, I probably speak Verdurian as I speak in English.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I keep imagining an American accent for Verdurian. More than likely it would sound like a flaid who learned Avelan.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

What I would probably end up doing would be to

- r-color vowels followed by r
- pronounce word-final /I/ as /i/
- POSSIBLY pronounce <ë> as [e] or [E], particularly after alveolar/dental consonants
- pronounce <c> before a front vowel as either [s] or [S]
- pronounce intervocalic, but not word-initial <h> as [h]; word-initial <h> I could keep silent
- pronounce <k> as [k] not [q]
- lightly aspirate unvoiced plosives in situations where they would be aspirated in English
- pronounce /d/ and /t/ as alveolar, not dental, consonants
- may have some trouble with <ct> or <pt>
- incorrectly pronounce stress
- labialize /l/ in all positions (feature of my own English dialect)

I wouldn't have much trouble with pronouncing geminate consonants or with avoiding voicing of intervocalics, though.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!