Restrictive use of IPA...

Discussions worth keeping around later.
catberry
Sanci
Sanci

Post by catberry »

I use X-SAMPA because I am incredibly lazy.
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.
-is female-

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

I prefer IPA, but I know XSampa because I see it so often and my IPA keyboard layout is basically XSampa based.

I just have press alt-shift-2 to activate it in any program.

Sometimes that does lead to me trying to log onto some website with IPA characters...
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

dinnae wrote:Sometimes that does lead to me trying to log onto some website with IPA characters...
I've accidentally activated IPA entry while playing a game, making me think my keyboard had gone berserk making every punctuation character I typed come out as ?.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

eodrakken wrote:
doctrellor wrote:And notepad doesn't do IPA ... :(
It can, though of course you have to bring your own entry method, like a keyboard layout. Then when you save the file, change the encoding to UTF-8 in the dropdown box.
Doctrellor: Also remember to set the font to one that can handle IPA well, like Charis SIL or Doulos SIL.

Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

Neqitan wrote:Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?
I believe UTF-8 is preferable for compatibility reasons, but I'm unclear on the details. Both encodings work for saving and opening IPA text files in Notepad, at least on my computer.

ing
Niš
Niš

Post by ing »

What notepad.exe calls "Unicode" is more specifically known as UTF-16. UTF-16 is vastly inferior to UTF-8 in terms of ASCII compatibility, cross-platform support, storage size (for latin based texts), and resilience in the face of file corruption.

Use UTF-8.

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Restrictive use of IPA...

Post by Bedelato »

I use IPA (SIL keyboard layout), but diacritics turn up very ugly because of the font used. Though it seems that certain letter-combining diacritic combinations are automatically converted to precomposed characters on my system when submitting. (Firefox 3.5, Windows XP SP3, if anyone has info.)

Everything else about IPA works fine, though.
Last edited by Bedelato on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Re:

Post by Bedelato »

Renaçido wrote:
eodrakken wrote:
doctrellor wrote:And notepad doesn't do IPA ... :(
It can, though of course you have to bring your own entry method, like a keyboard layout. Then when you save the file, change the encoding to UTF-8 in the dropdown box.
Doctrellor: Also remember to set the font to one that can handle IPA well, like Charis SIL or Doulos SIL.

Eodrakken: Do you know if there's any difference between selecting "UTF-8" and "Unicode"?
Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Re:

Post by eodrakken »

Bedelato wrote:Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)
What type of diacritics are you trying to make it handle? Are you trying to do combining diacritics and stuff? It can display all the single ones I've ever thrown at it, though of course they make the letters look teeny and odd. But, I mean, it's Notepad. Nobody claimed it was pretty, just that you can make it work if it's all you have available.
Tirase | Iŋomœ (Akana)

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Unilang has an inline X-SAMPA to IPA converter on the reply page. You just type X-SAMPA like you normally would, highlight it, press a button, and voilà, IPA. It uses the same software as this board, so it should be possible to implement here too.
Attention, je pelote !

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

eodrakken wrote:
Bedelato wrote:Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)
What type of diacritics are you trying to make it handle? Are you trying to do combining diacritics and stuff? It can display all the single ones I've ever thrown at it, though of course they make the letters look teeny and odd. But, I mean, it's Notepad. Nobody claimed it was pretty, just that you can make it work if it's all you have available.
Yeah. When I type a combining diacritic in Notepad on XP, it doesn't show up until I hit backspace. But it looks like they fixed it in Vista.

WordPad works fine though. Plus you can do formatting, though I'm not sure if cross-platform RTF support is very good...
The only complaint I have with WordPad is every time I paste a string with theta in it, it sets the script to Greek and the font to Arial. It's a real pain to change back.

Also with Vista, the Windows core fonts (Arial, Courier New, etc.) got IPA support. YAY :mrgreen:

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Bedelato wrote:
Renaçido wrote:Doctrellor: Also remember to set the font to one that can handle IPA well, like Charis SIL or Doulos SIL.

Also, Notepad doesn't handle diacritics right. (Try it, you'll see.)
I learned this fact later on, when experimenting with the wobatadaleyidun thing, yes. :)
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:Unilang has an inline X-SAMPA to IPA converter on the reply page. You just type X-SAMPA like you normally would, highlight it, press a button, and voilà, IPA. It uses the same software as this board, so it should be possible to implement here too.
I'd suggest you to simply bookmark this page, it does the same thing as Unilang's converter, with less hassle.

http://www.conlanger.com/xipa.html

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Renaçido wrote:I'd suggest you to simply bookmark this page, it does the same thing as Unilang's converter, with less hassle.

http://www.conlanger.com/xipa.html
I use it all the time. Except on Unilang, because having an inline converter is so much easier.
Attention, je pelote !

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re:

Post by Yng »

Torco wrote:because it can be input easily. IPA is a pain in the ass... what I tend to do is to input stuff in xsampa and then, if I feel like it, I use the ipa-xsampa translator.

Someone should come up with a keyboard layout that allows for easy IPA input and upload it
I have one, vaguely. It lacks a lot of the important symbols but microsoft keyboard developer won't let me modify it for some reason.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

YngNghymru wrote:
Torco wrote:because it can be input easily. IPA is a pain in the ass... what I tend to do is to input stuff in xsampa and then, if I feel like it, I use the ipa-xsampa translator.

Someone should come up with a keyboard layout that allows for easy IPA input and upload it
I have one, vaguely. It lacks a lot of the important symbols but microsoft keyboard developer won't let me modify it for some reason.
Hmm, maybe there's something you're not doing right. If it's like a normal layout, install the keyboard, open MKLC, and then load the keyboard. You should be able to save your editions as a different brand-new keyboard.

Unless it's some program that runs in the background or something, that you can't edit with MKLC.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

It's quick and easy.
næn:älʉː

Hakaku
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Hakaku »

To repost what I've mentioned before, for those having trouble viewing the IPA characters and diacritics on this board due to the CSS font restrictions, you can create yourself a bookmark and add the following as the page URL:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){doc=document.getElementsByTagName('td');for(i=0;i<doc.length;i++){doc[i].style.fontFamily='MS Arial Unicode','DejaVu Sans','Everson Mono Unicode','Charis SIL','GF Zemen Unicode','Geez Unicode';}})();
Just click on the bookmark when you need it. It should work on all major browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, Maxthon 3, Safari, and probably Opera, but not Internet Explorer.
Chances are it's Ryukyuan (Resources).

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

I think what you mean there is "Arial Unicode MS".