ZBB Awards Showcase

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

ZBB Awards Showcase

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Want to present your language or other con-work as a candidate for the ZBB Awards 2010? Post it, or a link to it, here. And if you're particularly impressed by anyone else's work and think it deserves attention, feel free to post links to that here as well.

(NB. Work does not have to be posted in this thread to be eligible for receiving votes - you can vote for anything created by a ZBB member.)

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: ZBB Awards Showcase

Post by Risla »

Derp, I'll delete my thread then.
Last edited by Risla on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Guitarplayer wrote:I would like to advertise my efforts to write a reference grammar of my conlang, however, the achievement is questionable because I didn't manage to get the grammar anywhere near complete. Also it's not a novelty strictly speaking, as I've been working on the language itself for 7 years. Neek has undertaken a similar project this year, but he hasn't finished writing his grammar either. Whether his efforts and commitment are more promising than mine I leave up to you.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

You could vote me for most serious. I mean, I post here semi-regularly and I don't think I've made a single joke or sarcastic statement.

I do have some conlanging projects but they're not complete so I'll just have to wait until next year if I want a prize for that I guess :)

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I hope it doesn't seem too presumptuous to nominate my own South Eresian script for Best Conscript; I've done a lot of work on it and think it's some of my best work ever, and I've only really posted much about it recently (although I did post an unrefined form of it quite a while ago, long enough that I don't remember when).

(I'd also like to think that the conlang is, in general, pretty promising and has a nice phonology, but there are plenty of other 'langs with those. :P)

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Alright guys, I've done alot of research since last time and I think I'm way better at conlanging now. I worked really hard on this one. Hope ya like it!

"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I second Xeph's, however throw my hat into the ring.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Hopefully gonna write up a synchronic description of Tharu phonology over the next few days.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Oh yeah, I'd like to nominate Astraios for best newcomer, by a pretty long shot.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

:o Unexpected endorsement first thing in the morning is better than caffeine!

I second Risla Amahendir's South Eresian for Best Conscript. (And not just because she nominated me for something, because I actually like it a lot.) :D

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

The only thing of mine I can possibly put forward is the update to my SCA program, which AFAIK nobody has actually used.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

Yo, check out my conworld: http://steampulp.wikia.com
I also have maps.

I can't find the quote (I don't want to search through hundreds of pages of Eddywhines), but I nominate Kereb (née Berek)'s quote in the Eddythread where he narrowed down Eddy's responses to a numbered list of 5 or 6, and then when Eddy's responses conformed to his prediction, he basically cabbage-patched across the screen while chanting, "Go Berek, Go Berek!".

-Rob

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

HandsomeRob wrote:I can't find the quote (I don't want to search through hundreds of pages of Eddywhines), but I nominate Kereb (née Berek)'s quote in the Eddythread where he narrowed down Eddy's responses to a numbered list of 5 or 6, and then when Eddy's responses conformed to his prediction, he basically cabbage-patched across the screen while chanting, "Go Berek, Go Berek!".
This post and this post, right?
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

Matt wrote:
HandsomeRob wrote:I can't find the quote (I don't want to search through hundreds of pages of Eddywhines), but I nominate Kereb (née Berek)'s quote in the Eddythread where he narrowed down Eddy's responses to a numbered list of 5 or 6, and then when Eddy's responses conformed to his prediction, he basically cabbage-patched across the screen while chanting, "Go Berek, Go Berek!".
This post and this post, right?
Yep.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

I guess the only thing I have to "showcase", really, is my topics...the venting thread, which should be recognized if for nothing else for its epic size, and the award thread in Ephemera which spawned the awards this year.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Pimping myself time:

More stuff to come. Maybe.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

What the heck ...

The O Yis language was developed this year, and the web pages are now online. It has a lexicon alongside the phonology/grammar stuff, and a native script (no one seems to like the romanization, <shrugs>); translations and more formal interlinears are due soonish.

The Gevey webpages got an overhaul at the start of the year, including a new native script and a rethink of a few grammar points. Plus, a whole new long translation - an adaption of the Babel story to make it a lot more interesting and useful.

(tech note: both the Gevey and O Yis pages make use of the @font-face css tag - you'll need an up-to-date browser to see the pretty scripties in their full glory)

Mapwise, nothing much to report this year - though I did take time out to develop the Vreski Society webpage which has a new map on it.

Most of my creative time this year has been devoted to finalising and publishing my Tome (and developing a warding app to promote it - which was a waste of time). Now that's out of the way I'm well into writing my second book - a very different beast. Progress on the work-in-progress can be checked out on its authonomy page.

... and you think you're having a bad day?

Kal is not having the best of times: his friends have deserted him; the city around him has changed; and the man whose head he lives in knows he is there. And now he has to save the world - though working out who, or what, is threatening the world is proving to be a problem too ...

Enjoy!

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

My vote for Best Conlang will go to Cathbad's High Eolic (PDF) this year. The grammar is one of the best-written conlang descriptions I've ever seen, and the language is fascinating too.

---

As for my own conlangs, I'd like to point towards Doayâu and Cəssın. Both of these can most suitably (IMO) enter the contest in the categories Best Morphology, Best Lexicon, and/or Best Diachronics.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I'm sure we should have a special award for Octavià, but I don't know what it should be called.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Nancy Blackett wrote:I'm sure we should have a special award for Octavià, but I don't know what it should be called.
Speaking of him, something seems fishy about him to me...

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

vampireshark wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:I'm sure we should have a special award for Octavià, but I don't know what it should be called.
Oh him, he's a quack. Of Nylandic proportions.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Legion wrote:
vampireshark wrote:
Oh him, he's a quack. Of Nylandic proportions.
Well, I figured as much, but he seems familiar in another way, like somebody that was banned...

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

> Octaviano.

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

Well, if that weren't the most obvious thing.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

I should like to point you in the direction of everything on my website - the material there of which I am most proud being Viksen and Greater Atlian (both PDFs).