I have a Bible in TOK PISIN: Any Requests...?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Re: I have a Bible in TOK PISIN: Any Requests...?

Post by Bryan »

Xephyr wrote:The Apocalypse of John (or "Revelations" to you sillies), chapter 6, verse 8

Pretty please.
Na mi lukluk gen, na mi lukim wanpela yelopela hos. Na man i sindaun long en, nem bilong en Dai. Na Ples bilong ol man i dai pinis, em i bihainim Dai i kam. Ol i givim strong long tupela long tilim olgeta manmeri long 4-pela lain na long kilim i dai wanpela bilong ol dispela lain. Tupela bai i kilim ol manmeri i dai long bainat, na tupela bai i mekim taim bilong bikpela hangre i kamap na kilim ol i dai, na tupela bai i mekim ol bikpela sik i kamap na kilim ol i dai, na tupela bai i salim ol wel abus bilong graun i go kilim ol i dai.
Jon 6:8

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Bryan wrote: Na mi lukluk gen, na mi lukim wanpela yelopela hos. Na man i sindaun long en, nem bilong en Dai. Na Ples bilong ol man i dai pinis, em i bihainim Dai i kam. Ol i givim strong long tupela long tilim olgeta manmeri long 4-pela lain na long kilim i dai wanpela bilong ol dispela lain. Tupela bai i kilim ol manmeri i dai long bainat, na tupela bai i mekim taim bilong bikpela hangre i kamap na kilim ol i dai, na tupela bai i mekim ol bikpela sik i kamap na kilim ol i dai, na tupela bai i salim ol wel abus bilong graun i go kilim ol i dai.
Jon 6:8
Bryan wrote:man i dai pinis, em i bihainim Dai i kam. Ol i givim strong long tupela long tilim olgeta manmeri long 4-pela lain na long kilim i dai wanpela bilong ol dispela lain.
Bryan wrote:man pinis, i givim strong long long long 4-pela long.

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Hi Zoris, I don't really know what you're getting at (unless you're referring to the "long" "pinis" stuff; but I assure you, that is authentic tok pisin: long is a preposition and pinis is a tense/aspect marker)

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

2 Timothy 3:16
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Bryan wrote:Hi Zoris, I don't really know what you're getting at (unless you're referring to the "long" "pinis" stuff; but I assure you, that is authentic tok pisin: long is a preposition and pinis is a tense/aspect marker)
Probably. /pinis/ is the first thing most students of Tok Pisin notice, isnt it?
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Bryan wrote:
Xephyr wrote:Yeah just go ahead and only respond to the LAST request you got.
Hi man, I don't know if you're aware of this, but some of us actually work and have, like, chores and stuff to do. All posts will get replies, including all future requests. "Patience is a virtue" as my Mum says. :)
It's not a question of proportion, but order. But no biggie, really. I came across as angry in that post, but I'm not.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Xephyr wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Xephyr wrote:Yeah just go ahead and only respond to the LAST request you got.
Hi man, I don't know if you're aware of this, but some of us actually work and have, like, chores and stuff to do. All posts will get replies, including all future requests. "Patience is a virtue" as my Mum says. :)
It's not a question of proportion, but order. But no biggie, really. I came across as angry in that post, but I'm not.
Cool man. :)

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Soap wrote:
Bryan wrote:Hi Zoris, I don't really know what you're getting at (unless you're referring to the "long" "pinis" stuff; but I assure you, that is authentic tok pisin: long is a preposition and pinis is a tense/aspect marker)
Probably. /pinis/ is the first thing most students of Tok Pisin notice, isnt it?
Personally, the first thing I noticed was "(bi)long" is everything, as is "i", a typical Tok Pisin text gives the impression of being 50% blong-long-i. After that, "pinis" started to make itself known to me! But if you LISTEN to TP, you don´t noticed the i or pinis so much, all you can hear is blonglongblong.

KEEP THOSE REQUESTS COMING IN!!!

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

NT only? Dang, I wanted some Ecclesiastes.

I suppose if we're talking translations, it's only appropriate that we do Acts 2: 1-6.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Bryan wrote:KEEP THOSE REQUESTS COMING IN!!!
I'm still waiting for Guitarplayer and Viktor77's requests (John 1:1 and Revelations 21: 1-4) to be carried out...

EDIT: Interestingly, I could find an online scan of the first verses of John, here. So here's John 1:1:
Bipo bipo tru, taim olgeta samting i no kamap yet, Tok i stap: Tok i stap wantaim God na Tok em yet i God.
Also Genesis 1 and part of Genesis 2, here.

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Renaçido wrote:
I'm still waiting for Guitarplayer and Viktor77's requests (John 1:1 and Revelations 21: 1-4) to be carried out...
You did read the bit about me having, like, a job and a life and stuff, no...? I can't keep this bible forever, but if I get the requests now, I can be sure to post up all translations in time to give it back.

[EDIT]
By the way, many many thanks for the link to Genesis. 8)
Last edited by Bryan on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Bryan wrote:
Renaçido wrote:
You did read the bit about me having, like, a job and a life and stuff, no...? I can't keep this bible forever, but if I get the requests now, I can be sure to post up all translations in time to give it back.
So you're too cool + busy to actually look up two references, but not too cool + busy to keep asking people to ask you to look references up?

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Pthug wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Renaçido wrote:
So you're too cool + busy to actually look up two references, but not too cool + busy to keep asking people to ask you to look references up?
C'mon mate, don't be a wally. It takes approximately one minute to ask people if they have other requests, but quite a while to type the quotes up (quite a while because, not being my first language, Tok Pisin slows me down).

And no, not cool. It's called working my arse off teaching and also that little thing called "Christmas" :P Try to chill, son.

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Guitarplayer wrote:No, there's lots of violence in the OT, probably even more than in the NT, the whole Jesus-crossing thing and Revelations aside.

Just for curiosity, I'd like to have John 1, 1. You know, "In the beginning was the Word ..."
(Tok i gat laip em i kamap man)
1 Bipo bipo tru, taim olgeta samting i no kamap yet, Tok i stap. Tok i stap wantaim God na Tok em yet i God. 2 Bipo bipo tru Tok i stap waintaim God. 3 Long dispela Tok tasol God i mekim kamap olgeta samting. Na i no gat wanpela samting i kamap long narapela rot. Nogat. Olgeta samting i kamap, em Tok yet i mekim kamap. 4 Laip i stap long em, na dispela laip em i lait bilong ol manmeri. 5 Dispela lait i save lait i stap long tudak, na tudak i no bin daunim em.
Jon 1:1

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Viktor77 wrote:Revelations 21:1-4 please. My favourite Bible verses.

(Nupela skai na nupela graun i kamap)
1 Nau mi lukim nupela skai na nupela graun i stap. Namba wan skai na namba wan graun i go pinis olgeta. Na solwara i no i stap moa. 2 Na mi lukim dispela taun bilong God, em nupela Jerusalem. Mi lukim em i stap wantaim God, na i lusim heven na i kam daun. Em i gat gutpela bilas, olsem meri i laik marit na i putim gutpela bilas na i redi long maritim man bilong en. 3 Na long sia king mi harim maus bilong wanpela man i singaut strong olsem, "Harim. Nau haus bilong God i stap wantaim ol manmeri. Em bai i stap namel long ol, na ol bai i stap wantaim ol, na em bai i stap God bilong ol. 4 Em bai i mekim drai wara i stap long ai bilong olgeta bilong ol. Na ol manmeri bai i no i dai moa, na ol bai i no bel hevi moa na krai moa, na ol bai i no anap kisim pen gen. Ol dispela samting bilong bipo ol i pinis olgeta."

Krais i Kamapim Tok Hait long Jon, o Revelesen 21:1-4

What d'you reckon? Does it pack the same punch as it does in the original English? I think so...

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Soap wrote:1 Corinthians 6:9
Ol man i save mekim pasin nogut, ol bai i no inap i go insait long kingdom bilong God. Ating yupela i no save long dispela, a? Nogut yupela i giamanim bel bilong yupela yet. Ol man i save mekim pasin pamuk, na ol man i save lotu long ol giaman god, na ol man i trabel long ol maritmeri, na ol man i save mekim ol kain kain pasin i gat sem wantaim ol arapela man, 10 na ol stilman, na ol man i save mangal long ol samting bilong arapela, na i man save spak, na ol man i save tok bilas long ol arapela man, na ol man i save pulim samting bilong ol arapela man, olgeta dispela kain man bai i no inap i go insait long kingdom bilong God.
Namba wan pas Pol i raitim long Ol Korin 6:9

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Bristel wrote:2 Timothy 3:16
Spirit bilong God yet i bin kamapim olgeta tok i stap long buk bilong God. Na dispela tok em i gutpela samting tru bilong skulim yumi long tok tru na bilong stretim ol manmeri tingting bilong ol i no stret na bilong stretim wokabaut bilong yumi na bilong skulim yumi long ol pasin i stret long ai bilong God.
Namba 2 pas Pol i raitim long Timoti 3:16

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Thanks. It's a bit wordier than I had expected it to be. I was particularly interested in seeing what words they used to translate all those descriptors of sinful people. It seems that they break down as follows.

1 Ol man i save mekim pasin pamuk ("fornicators, sexually immoral people")
2 ol man i save lotu long ol giaman god ("idolators")
3 ol man i trabel long ol maritmeri ("adulterers")
4-5 ol man i save mekim kain kain pasin i gat sem wantaim ol arapela man (it seems that the division between 4 and 5 is unclear, which is not surprising, because we don't actually know what the precise definitions of the words malakoi and arsenokoitai were even in Greek)

6 ol stilman ("thieves"; a pretty simple concept, I guess, likely "steal + man")
7 ol man i save mangal long ol samting bilong arapela ("covetous, greedy")
8 i man save spak ("drunkards")
9 ol man i save tok bilas long ol arapela man ("revilers, slanderers")
10 ol man i save pulim samting bilong ol arapela man ("swindlers, extortionists")

I can make out some of the words without even knowing them just from context. But not many. Tok Pisin save seems to mean "know, make a habit of" and spak can mean "liquor", so that one is pretty transparent. 4-5 is the toughest one for sure.

I'm guessing (apologies if I'm making assumptions that seem a bit stereotypy, I know that Tok Pisin speakers get annoyed at people who think it's just "English for babies")
1) men who make passion with whores (pamuk = whore, make passion is probably a euphemism for sex)
2) Dont really have a word for word breakdown in mind here, but the total meaning is pretty clear
3) Men who travel ??? while married (is "married" marit or meri though?)
4-5) no idea, seems to be basically "men who have sex with other men" though

6)people who steal
7)people whowant something that belongs to others
8) people who know liquor
9) curiously, bilas seems to mean "decoration", but tok bilas is a pejorative meaning roughly "ridicule, make fun of"
10) men who know pulling (taking?) something that belongs to others
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Hi Soap, quick post re: 3.

Tok Pisin: ol man i trabel long ol maritmeri ("adulterers")
Tok soap ( ;) ) : Men who travel ??? while married (is "married" marit or meri though?)

ol man = PLURAL man
i = predicate
trabel = trouble, sin, wrongdoing, and so on
long = lots of stuff (LOL!)
marit = married
meri = woman
"ol maritmeri" = married women

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Bryan wrote:
Soap wrote:
Personally, the first thing I noticed was "(bi)long" is everything, as is "i", a typical Tok Pisin text gives the impression of being 50% blong-long-i. After that, "pinis" started to make itself known to me! But if you LISTEN to TP, you don´t noticed the i or pinis so much, all you can hear is blonglongblong.

KEEP THOSE REQUESTS COMING IN!!!
Also interesting that fopela (or is it fupela?) is abbreviated "4-pela". Is that standard?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Bryan,

Just post the whole fuckin' thing in a PDF already and get it over with.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

sano wrote:Bryan,

What's with the hostility, sano?
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

I would love to do that, but sadly I don't have it on my harddrive; I have a hard copy instead. So putting a pdf online would require either scanning or typing up the whole thing, which I currently don't have time for. Furthermore, I don't think I'm going to be able to hold onto this book for long, hence my putting this thread out.

Bryan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bryan »

Bristel wrote:

Penis envy?

Repressed pederastic impulses?

Stockholm syndrome?

Munchausen by proxy?

only the LORD knows.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Bryan wrote:
Bristel wrote:

Penis envy?

Repressed pederastic impulses?

Stockholm syndrome?

Munchausen by proxy?

only the LORD knows.
He's just excited. I'd go with Stockholm syndrome if being on this website was the cause.

Only the LORD knows, because that's what the LORD intended.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró