Arka: an a priori conlang with 14,000 words from Japan

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Arka: an a priori conlang with 14,000 words from Japan

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Arka: an a priori conlang with 14,000 words from Japan

Post by Bristel »

私の日本語が下手ので、読めません.ごめんなさい。
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

My Japanese is unfortunately not at the level where I can comprehend native works of this complexity quickly That being said, this definitely looks like a really well-developed conwowrlding project. Are you the creator of Arka?

Besides this, are there any other conlangs created by Japanese 人工言語者 that you know of? Most conlanging that I'm exposed to on this board is done by native English speakers, or speakers of western European languages who are very familiar with English, which affects the sorts of languages that get created. I'm particularly interested in the sorts of "beginner" languages that an inexperienced Japanese conlanger might make, that are heavily based off of the creator's language before said creator has a good sense of how linguistics works.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

There's also Baronh, though I don't know how developed it is.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Okay, you seem to have some nice stuff there. Even games in the conlang - that's pretty cool, altho of course I can't play them.

No offence, but calling your own creation "famous" - isn't that a little... un-Japanese?

I'd be happy to read more about it, if there was more available in English. Perhaps you would like to describe some of the highlights to us here? Do you have any particularly interesting ideas?

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Woah: http://leviantarka.web.fc2.com/images/melidia.pdf

You know I'm going to have to learn this now, don't you?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

So, uhh... you got a name?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

My translation of the opening text of that video is:

"A town where the moon is reflected in the fountain - Asherufi. There once was a girl here, who sealed away an evil magic power. The girl borrowed the power of the gods and saved the world. This story is just one of the stories of our world..."

That video, by the way, looks very nice, and it's my dream to one day make something that professional-looking for my own conworld. Unfortunately, my kanji knowledge isn't as good as it should be, and I had to stop and look up a few characters even in that opening text, and then reload the video since it kept playing while I wasn't looking at it. If there was some way to allow the video to be paused, that would be helpful for trying to translate the rest of it.

(also, "well-known" is probably the English translation of 有名 that you want to use)
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

We need Yiuel and gsandi to be our interpreters :mrgreen:

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

I would love it if some more materials could be translated into English. I'd like to put it on our list to feature on the Conlangery podcast, but I can't find a grammar in English or much information than the lexicon you posted.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Oh, man, I completely forgot about this thread and that long text that I was going to translate, didn't I? For, uh, half a year. Sumimasen.

月が泉に映る街アシェルフィ
かつてここに悪魔を封印した少女がいた
少女は神々の力を以て世界を救った
それはこの世界の物語のひとつ

"A town where the moon is reflected in the fountain - Asherufi. There once was a girl here, who sealed away an evil magic power. The girl borrowed the power of the gods and saved the world. This story is just one of the stories of our world..."

物語の舞台は異世界カルディアにある惑星アトラス
そこは神も悪魔も魔法も存在する世界

"The setting of our story is the planet Atorasu [Atlas?], in the alternate world of Karudia. There, spirits and demons and magic all exist."

七つの大陸と百を優に超える国家、
長きにわたる神代からの歴史、
それぞれの土地に住む民族と文化、
そしてそれぞれの言語
ここにはすべてがある
それは物語を紡ぐための壮大な箱庭

"The nations that cover the seven continants have a long history dating back to the Age of the Gods. In every land, there are peoples and cultures - and in every land, there are languages. It is a grand place to spin a tale!" [t.n. not quite sure what that 百 is doing in that sentence]

アトラス一の大国アルバザード

この国の公用語アルカは
かつて悪魔を退けた少女らが用いた言語で、
後に国際語の地位を築いた

"The foremost major power - Arubazaado"

"Aruka, the official langauge of this country, was once used by the girls who drove away demons, and later attained the status of an international langauge"

カルディアという箱庭の中でも
物語を紡ぐ言葉であるアルカは
最も精巧に作られている

"Above all else in the 'miniature garden' of Karudia, Aruka, the language for spinning tales, is the most elaborately created thing"

地球にある英語などの言語から
単語を借用することなしに
万を超える語彙を持つ

"Without borrowing words from English and other languages of the Earth, it possesses a vocabulary exceeding 10,000 words" [wow. my own conlang has just 1,615 lexical entries]

単語はすべて文化や風土を反映して作られ
そのすべてが歴史を持つ
文字は幻字と呼ばれる
25の表音文字で記される

"All the words were made to reflect the speakers' culture and natural features of the lands they live in, and as well each word possesses a history. The writing system, called "Phantom Letters", consists of 25 phonetic signs. [t.n. "phantom letters" is an awesome name for a writing system. Would you read 幻字 as まぼろしじ?]

アルカの可能性は神話や辞典を
記述するだけに留まらない

"The possibilities of Aruka don't just stop with myths and a dictionary.

小説『夢織』

"The novel 'Dream Weaving'"

『紫苑の書』ではアトラスへ召喚された
日本の女子高生が読者とともにアルカを
覚えながら奮闘していく姿が描かれている

"The story is about a Japanese high school girl who is summoned to Atorasu with the 'Purple Book'. While the reader discovers Aruka alongside her, the shape of the struggle is portrayed" [not really sure what to make of 奮闘していく姿が描かれている]

そのほかにも多彩なフォントや――

世界を彩る絵画やイラスト――

異世界独自の暦や尺度――

全編アルカで綴るシューティングavelantis――

――アルカの可能性は無限に広がっている

"Besides this there are various fonts -
paintings and illustrations of the alternate world -
it's own calendar and system of measure -
all of Aruka is spelled with shooting avelantis [okay I have no idea what シューティングavelantis means]
the possibilities of Aruka spread out without limit"

アルカの学習はステップ式
異世界の少女が分かりやすく解説
概説・アルカ論へとステップアップ

知らない単語はオンライン幻日辞典で

"The study of Aruka is step-style
Girls from this alternate world explain it to you in an easy-to-understand way
Step up to a general outline of Aruka

Unknown words are in the online Phantom Dictionary"

Well, that's probably a more literal translation than would be ideal, but hopefully it'll make it easier to understand the video. Anyway it's good practice for me.

The video I'll have to take a detailed look at later, although again visually speaking that is very high quality and I'm impressed. How many people are working on this project?

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Koffiegast
Niš
Niš

Post by Koffiegast »

This seems quite interesting as it gives a perspective on how people with a quite different L1 create conlang.

(yes a post of me after being inactive for months)
UN criticizes Dutch Euthanasia policy,
comment of a reader: WSquater, "U hebt als mens rechten en taken. 1 van die taken is om niet dood te gaan en geld voor ons te verzamelen, dit doet u via het abonnement Belastingdienst."

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Books and the official site in English

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

おはなしの中の異世界はどこだって日本語が通じる。でも、それって小説のご都合主義じゃない?
Heh, そうじゃない? けど、アメリカでそんな異世界の人はみんな英語が話せる!

I wonder why you're calling it the book of Xion in English. Xion isn't the traditional way of romanizing 紫苑.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Glad to see you're starting to translate the site into English. As someone of non-Western ancestry (for lack of better wording), albeit one raised in the West, I am interesting in seeing how, as Koffiegast said, someone with a different native language than that of an Indo-European one would create a conlang.
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Lein's lesson and so on

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author of Arka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Author of Arka »

Last edited by Author of Arka on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.