My conlang blog (check first post for latest post)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

My conlang blog (check first post for latest post)

Post by roninbodhisattva »

I've decided in the past couple days that I really need a place to talk about the various conlanging projects and ideas that I have going. So I started a blog. I'll probably keep updating it pretty regularly, or try to at least.

The blog will be a place for me keep documentation for the various conlanging projects that I have going, or the random ideas that pop into my head from time to time. Currently, I only have one language to document, an as of yet nameless conlang which I'ved deemed Project 1 (P1 for short). The language draws heavy inspiration from Matt Pearson's Tokana, but also from Germanic languages, Uralic languages, and some areal features found in the Pacific Northwest.

The latest posts can be found here:

Turning Japanese

Dơk Nhuang: Beginnings

I'd love to hear feedback, and I'd appreciate it either over there or here. Though here might facilitate discussion better.
Last edited by roninbodhisattva on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:26 am, edited 10 times in total.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Re: My (brand new) conlang blog

Post by WeepingElf »

That's a nice phonology you have there, with interesting things going on. If the rest of the language keeps up this quality, you will arrive at a very fine conlang. ROCK ON!
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Thank you! I just put up a short post about glide + vowel sequences, and later tonight I'll be posting more about the overall typological plan of the language.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

I could reply in vicktor77's words, "Why should I care?" but you have a nice blog, a nice format and a nice writing style. It is worth my time.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

You should care because Ronin has a habit of posting quality conlang related content.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

uh, <j> for /ð/?

also, fuck yeah coronal harmony.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

Ashroot wrote:I could reply in vicktor77's words, "Why should I care?" but you have a nice blog, a nice format and a nice writing style. It is worth my time.
Ronin's opening post tells you why you should care.
a place to talk about the various conlanging projects and ideas that I have going
the first substantive post deals with the phonology of a language I've been tossing around in my head
I'd love to hear feedback
Whereas your post about your blog contained nothing but a link, giving no information about what the blog was about or why anyone might find it interesting. That is not how advertising works.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

uh, <j> for /ð/?
Yeah, well, since it's a approximant I figured it was fine.
Trailsend wrote:Whereas your post about your blog contained nothing but a link, giving no information about what the blog was about or why anyone might find it interesting. That is not how advertising works.
Fair point. I'll expand the information in the first post. But it hopefully has gotten people to look at it...did you?

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

roninbodhisattva wrote:Fair point. I'll expand the information in the first post. But it hopefully has gotten people to look at it...did you?
XD Sorry, I was unclear. That was directed at Ashroot--his comment about Viktor was a reference to a thread he started in Ephemera about his blog which elicited the quoted response. The difference between his thread and yours is that you offered information about the content and purpose of the blog to help people decide if they would be interested in reading it, whereas Ashroot's thread contained nothing except a link to the page.

I did take a brief look. Sketches or not, your work is cool, so it'll be nice to have it all in one place.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Aha! My bad! Well, it was probably a good idea to put up some more info anyway.
Trailsend wrote:I did take a brief look. Sketches or not, your work is cool, so it'll be nice to have it all in one place.
Well thankee!

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Two brand new posts, one on P1 word order (briefly) and one on little phoneme inventories I've been coming up with.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Because I am completely shameless, I have done the same thing. At least I credited you for the idea. :mrgreen:

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: My conlang blog (check first post for latest post)

Risla wrote:Because I am completely shameless, I have done the same thing. At least I credited you for the idea. :mrgreen:
Nice! I'll blogroll you :)

Also, I've added a post on phonotactics and consonant clusters in P1. Check the first post for new links from now on!

MagitekElite
Niš
Niš

Post by MagitekElite »

Nice blog.

The language is great too, I like your consonants. Cute, as you called them. My kind of sound. :mrgreen:

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
Risla wrote:Because I am completely shameless, I have done the same thing. At least I credited you for the idea. :mrgreen:
Nice! I'll blogroll you :)

Also, I've added a post on phonotactics and consonant clusters in P1. Check the first post for new links from now on!
Spiffy! I'll blogroll you too, though I don't know what to call your blog. :P

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Risla wrote:Spiffy! I'll blogroll you too, though I don't know what to call your blog. :P
Well, Drawing MIttens is the title, so call it that.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Aha, okay.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

*tips hat*

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I should start one too, just to keep track and show off. LOL

I know it isn't helpful, but for some reason it might motivate me more.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

It's useful, it's definitely kept me thinking about the project.

Anyway, I'ved posted something new. I've come to a crossroads about a change I'm considering on the phonology. There are two options, what would people choose?:

1) Leave the phonology as it is, plus the changes from this post. This would leave coronal harmony in place.
2) Scrap coronal harmony. Move /t̪/ to /d/ and add a voiced labial stop /b/. Also, to compensate further for the lack of coronal harmony, add /ɬ/, perhaps with some kind of remnant coronal relationship with /ts/.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

roninbodhisattva wrote:The language draws heavy inspiration from Matt Pearson's Tokana, but also from Germanic languages, Uralic languages, and some areal features found in the Pacific Northwest.
Honestly, I normally wouldn't bother clicking on an outside link to a conlang description. I'm too lazy. But you had me at the mention of Tokana: it's one of my all-time favourite conlangs ever (and an inspiration for my own Telpahke). So I took a look, and I like what you've got so far: I particularly like the coronal harmony, and I think it's worth keeping. (Personally, I'd bring back /D/ and add in /K/. While common phonemes in conlangs, it would be interesting to see them in a fairly minimal inventory.)

Also, Oulipo's an awesome blogtheme.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Dewrad wrote: Tokana: it's one of my all-time favourite conlangs ever (and an inspiration for my own Telpahke)
Yeah, it's a great lang. Do you have any online documentation for Telpahke on the web? I'd love to see it. Also, Matt has revised it extensively into something called Okuna. I've actually got the grammar if you'd like to look at it.
Dewrad wrote: I particularly like the coronal harmony, and I think it's worth keeping. (Personally, I'd bring back /D/ and add in /K/. While common phonemes in conlangs, it would be interesting to see them in a fairly minimal inventory.)
Yeah, I do think I'll keep the coronal harmony in the end, though I might play with it a bit. What I'm thinking is that I'll have three coronal fricatives: lamino-dental, apico-alveolar and lateral alveolar, and one apico-alveolar affricate: /s̻ s̺ ts̺ ɬ/ <z s ts lh>. The lamino-dental one would probably vary with [θ]. The coronal harmony would only operate over the sibilant fricatives and affricate: /s̻/ vs /s̺ ts̺/. Hell, I could even have the lateral participate in it.

This would be if I ended up added /b d/. I think I'll cut /v/, in the end, as I really don't want something too crowded. Also, I added the /ɨ~ʉ/ vowel because of the want for something to replace /ð̞/, so I'll probably end up leaving it out. Basically, I'm debating these three inventories:

Hell, I don't know.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

I'm on your blogroll - thanks! :) Reciprocity shall ensue once I figure out how to do mine.

I like how it exposes your conlanging development in open stages-as-posts - something I could never do :( Is there any way to make it RSS-able?

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm actually not completely sure about the rss...I thought it was probably just automatic. But I'll try to figure it out! When I'm not on an iPad.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

roninbodhisattva wrote:I'm actually not completely sure about the rss...I thought it was probably just automatic. But I'll try to figure it out! When I'm not on an iPad.
Just drag the Meta widget to your sidebar and it should work. (there's probably a way for me to get the feed without this anyway, but I'm too lazy to try find out how :P)