I will Learn Your Conlang (Now: Inyauk Study Group)

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

I will Learn Your Conlang (Now: Inyauk Study Group)

Post by brandrinn »

Someone once said that poetry is the only art where more people produce it than consume it. I think conlanging is similar. You post a marvelously detailed conworld on the internet, a few people say it looks neat, and then it falls off the radar. How disappointing. So, I am proposing to solve that. I will be done with school shortly, and when I am, I will dedicate several hours to learning people's conlangs.

Here's what you get: I will learn your conlang at least to the level of being able to have a conversation with you on any topic of your choosing (but with some warning of what the conversation will be about) in the venue of your choice (instant messenger, IRC, Skype, a thread on this board, etc.), until both of us have exhausted our ability or desire to converse any further. If you like, I can even roleplay a member of your conculture or play D&D with your in your conlang. Having me learn your conlang will not only be fun (and hopefully an ego-boost), but will also make it possible for me to give you feedback on your language that would be impossible for a casual observer, or even you the creator.

I will probably only have time to do this for one language, though. Post in this thread if you are interested. I will pick the conlang that looks most interesting and complete in the next few days.

EDIT: your conlang does need to have a more or less complete grammar and several hundred words for this to work, but other than that any and all conlangs are welcome. I will make a list of everyone who is interested tomorrow and we'll see what's available. Also, if your conlang is extremely difficult, I reserve the right to establish a time limit for the learning process, and then go from there with whatever I've managed to learn in that time.

List of possible candidates so far:
Feayran
Rammy
Kala
Xhaimeran If I can get online materials in English
Inyauk

Final edit
We are doing Inyauk.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/53089619/Lessons0-2
Last edited by brandrinn on Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: I Will Learn Your Conlang

Post by Risla »

This is way cool. I'd beg you to do it with South Eresian, but a) I am only just now documenting the grammar and b) its vocabulary is extremely impoverished, so I'll leave this to someone with a conlang more worthy.

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

This would be entirely awesome.

I've created a lot of teaching materials for Feayran for various people, and the grammar is developed and stable*. If you'd be interested in learning, that would be a whole bucket of fun!

* EDIT: I should clarify--the language's grammar is developed and stable, but the online documentation is old. I have documents done on various topics that are up-to-date, just not smoothed for presentation and compiled into a single reference grammar, that I can provide for feature-by-feature reference. Since your goal is conversational fluency, what sorts of materials are you going to want to study from?

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

I wish I 1) had something that I could give you and 2) could participate in the learning as well.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

I wish I had a conlang period.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

That would be awesome. My conlang Rammy does have a more or less complete grammar, and a few hundred words. I'll apply, and let you judge for yourself.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I apply as well. My conlang has a generally complete grammar, I believe, though it doesn't have a lot of words. But I can do a lot of work and create the needed words. Anyway, I will let you judge. :D
And what you are doing is a very good deed.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

The Count
Sanci
Sanci

Post by The Count »

Xhaimeran might be a candidate (or not).

For: Documented grammar, 16000+ words in alphabetic word list, 10 complete introductory lessons, lots and lots of existing text (both original and translated), currently 5 more or less fluent speakers.

Against: Grammar & lessons all in Swedish, full word list only on card index (transfer to digital in progress but won't be finished before this fall).
"Khal malenol akher venkhasa!"

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Wow. Xhaimeran sounds so... complete.
Přemysl wrote:
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

A great idea, but sadly Rawàng Ata has neither a stable and documented grammar, nor more than a dozen words of vocabulary, so I'll have to pass.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Ashroot wrote:I wish I had a conlang period.
don't worry, when you grow up it will come

xD

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I would say go for Falgwian but its syntax is far too different from English's and undocumented. Plus it would be torture to learn to pronounce.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

The Count
Sanci
Sanci

Post by The Count »

Mr. Z wrote:Wow. Xhaimeran sounds so... complete.
True. One may like or dislike the language itself but it's as complete as I believe a constructed language can be and it's fully usable. Of course there are empty spots (I guess I could not write a nature guide in Xhaimeran and name every plant and animal in the forest), but still.
"Khal malenol akher venkhasa!"

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

The Count wrote:16000+ words in alphabetic word list
Sixteen thousand? I'm barely at forty-two...
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

This sounds bizarrely interesting.

I cannot apply with any conlang of my own. However, I might want to do what OP is doing, because I always enjoy a challenge and I have some pretty reasonable knowledge of linguistics. Like OP said, it has to be a conlang that I find interesting, that is at least reasonably naturalistic and has a complete grammar and a good amount of vocabulary.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

sirdanilot wrote:This sounds bizarrely interesting.

I cannot apply with any conlang of my own. However, I might want to do what OP is doing, because I always enjoy a challenge and I have some pretty reasonable knowledge of linguistics. Like OP said, it has to be a conlang that I find interesting, that is at least reasonably naturalistic and has a complete grammar and a good amount of vocabulary.
It would be awesome if you jumped on board with this. Do you think you'd like to do different languages, or would it be cool if a group of us all learned the same one?
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

What kind of conlang do you find interesting? None of mine are anywhere near an acceptable state of documentation for external consumption, but it'd be interesting to know what interests you.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Let's up the ante, if we choose a language interesting enough to me (realism, completeness, and not-blatantly-IE being my main concerns) I'll try and learn it too.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Zoris wrote:Let's up the ante, if we choose a language interesting enough to me (realism, completeness, and not-blatantly-IE being my main concerns) I'll try and learn it too.
We could create a learn a single conlang group! I would be down for participating.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

3 people learning a conlang?

Then I could really start a cult. :roll:

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
Zoris wrote:Let's up the ante, if we choose a language interesting enough to me (realism, completeness, and not-blatantly-IE being my main concerns) I'll try and learn it too.
We could create a learn a single conlang group! I would be down for participating.
I like where this is going, but we still need a list of available languages, and so far we only have a few offers. Do you think we should cross-post this in Ephemera, where it might get more attention?

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

I guess I'll throw Inyauk into the running. I have a stable grammar and some recently revised beginner lessons.
Inyauk is not as established vocab-wise as some others, but I think it might be fun to let you add your input as you learn.

EDIT: Here are my Basic Lessons you can look at as a sample.
Last edited by Ossicone on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I'll jump in too. Feayran would be my first choice of someone else's conlang to learn, but as Zoris said, if you guys end up picking something else, I'll see how I like it and then decide if I'll join in.

Ossicone wrote:I guess I'll throw Inyauk into the running. I have a stable grammar and some recently revised beginner lessons.
Inyauk is not as established vocab-wise as some others, but I think it might be fun to let you add your input as you learn.
I'd learn Inyauk (assuming that it's the one in your sig). I like how it looks.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I would like to join as well. However, be aware that I don't really have any mode of communication other than this board.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian