[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Conlingual Telephone

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Conlang Relay
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:56 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

|

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I don't really care what language my input's in.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:49 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

...er, I'm not on the participants list

I don't care what my input is

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I like to participate with Naisek, but I'll be away from the computer May 26 to 30; if that's a problem I'll just catch the next CTR. Any from-language is ok but the fewer non-ASCII characters the better.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:14 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The only funky characters Myonian has are þ, ð and ŋ. (and Þ, Ð, and on rare occasions, Ŋ)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:40 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:56 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I have àèòŋ in Sentalian, although if necessary there could be ways around these – I already substitute q for ŋ in my dictionary file because although it looks fucking ugly, it's not used, and they do look passably similar. In Panceor, ŋ is the only weird character, and again, I substitute g in my dictionary file – basically I substitute them because Excel won't input the character properly. Stupid program.

Yaufulti has ł and æ but the Western variant fixes both of these by going l → n, ł → l and æ → e; and as for the unfinished phonologies, Eltagri is non-written and I've decided that it should only be given as IPA, although I could actually easily squeeze it into a system without special characters (my orthography currently uses í, ú, á, ð but they could become ii, uu, aa, d), and Umpát uses only á, í, ú (it was borne out of ronin's minimal phonology challenge).

You know what I think would be kinda fun? Also having to translate out of someone's script....

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

1. What should/shouldn't be in the text?
2. How much time do you think each person will need? I think a week might be good, giving enough time to go over the language and translate, while not being too much time, slowing the relay enormously.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

3-4 days should really be enough. A week would slow it up immensely. Note that the conlang list uses a time limit of two days/48 hours.

As for the text, you could always throw it open to the crowd and see if anyone has any suggestions for a text (by PM, of course). There's no set standard, but 3 paragraphs is usual, and try to make it something that people aren't going to recognise. One of the recent PGTs a few years ago was a) too long, so it had to be split with one half going to each team and b) an extract from Dune, which someone recognised and replaced with the lyrics of the Rickroll. Basically, if you know what it's meant to say, you will translate it differently to how you would if you just get a bunch of gibberish. The other thing about the Dune extract was that it contained a lot of very specific names, like Elacca wood or the Baron Harkonnen, that even people unacquainted with the series, like myself, can look up online easily by typing them into Google. So basically, try and get a text that doesn't contain too many of these to begin with. When I did the PGT the other month, I did an extract from an Arthur C Clarke book that wasn't relevant to the main thrust of the book (the book was about a space elevator and the extract was something to do with religion) and only contained two characters, Morgan and a monk. Morgan's a pretty non-descript name at the end of the day. People have tried to rectify the proper noun problem by replacing all proper nouns with pronouns, but this really doesn't work, because it's no fun if the text is gibberish to begin with! :P

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:18 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Okay, so I'll be expecting a PM when it's my turn :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:47 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I think I'll try with my lang Náles. I won't be able to participate after June 15th, but I would prefer later rather than sooner if possible. I have no preference what I'm translating from.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:33 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

If we are allowed to express preferences what to translate from, I'd be interested in trying Kannow. (All of those non-ASCII characters display correctly for me btw.)

Would anyone be specifically interested in decoding a certain one of my conlangs?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:16 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I would! It'd be cool to work with someone else's polysynthetic project, and Tmaśareʔ has directional marking too which looks fun.

I still need to know what the approximate dates for the relay are, though, before I can commit.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:12 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I guess we could start in about a week. There are 10 participants at the moment, so if no one else joins, the game should last until the end of June (since each person gets 4 days for the translation). If more people join, it could continue into July, but I don't think it is going to last longer than that. And, Trailsend, I could put you anywhere you want on the list, so unless you are busy until August, I don't think it would be a problem for you to participate. But I have no idea what you need to do, naturally.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Alright, guess I'm doing Kannow then. Sometime in the next few days, I'll go through my recently translated texts and write up some things on word order and whatever else I haven't bothered to get down yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:32 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Mr. Z, I think we should start as soon as the polyglottal telephone is done. Also, it might be best to have two (or even three) teams even with this number of people, so that if one person runs past the deadline, it doesn't hold everyone back in any way.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:31 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:59 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Nobody else joined, so we have 10 participants. Here are the options for the arrangement:
1. One team with 10 participants,
2. Two teams with 5 participants each.
3. Two teams with 10 participants each (so each participant participates twice, once in each team)

I don't like the second option, but what about the others? Which one do you prefer?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:31 am 
Sanci
Sanci

It should be one team - even just 10 is a short relay.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:43 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I like the second option. We get done quicker, people can work concurrently, and just because one person is slow doesn't hold everyone up.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having *three* teams. If you're sad the text won't get messed up that badly, never fear, it certainly will :D

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I like the first option.

Option 3 could be interesting, but if someone vanishes, it could slow up both teams...

Option 2 just seems way to short.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Yeah, you need to have enough links that the text actually gets fucked up, and 5 isn't enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:25 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

So does everybody want one team?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next