resources

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: resources

Post by TomHChappell »

A "Universal Languag Dictionary" that's organized around semantic themes.
It includes:
  • User's Guide
  • English Checklist
  • Esperanto Checklist
  • Downloadable XML File
  • Key to Abbreviations

and its categories are:
  1. adpositions
  2. function words
  3. people
  4. groupings of people
  5. body parts and substances
  6. body terms
  7. bodily actions
  8. the senses; light, sound, heat
  9. animal species and types
  10. plant species and types
  11. natural world
  12. tools and basic artifacts
  13. containers, supports, furniture
  14. clothing and fabrics
  15. buildings and institutions
  16. government and hierarchy
  17. business and transactions
  18. religion and the supernatural
  19. evaluation and judgement
  20. mind and private emotion
  21. behavior and social emotion
  22. communication
  23. games and entertainment
  24. identity
  25. numerals
  26. quantity
  27. degree
  28. dimension
  29. direction
  30. motion
  31. vehicles, etc.
  32. time and sequence
  33. substances
  34. foodstuffs
  35. forms of matter
  36. qualities of matter
  37. matter-related actions
  38. misc. matter/energy terms
  39. events and endeavors
  40. addenda

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Matt wrote:I mentioned this in the happy things thread, but it belongs here as well.

A 600 page PhD thesis (by one Charles Julian) dated September of last year. It's titled "A History of the Iroquoian Languages"; it is a reconstruction of Proto-Iroquoian and also gives sound changes into all the attested daughter languages. It's pretty epic.

http://mspace.lib.umanitoba.ca/bitstrea ... harles.pdf
WOW!!!

Tropylium⁺
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tropylium⁺ »

I found a dictionary of Haida a while ago.

Sound change tidbit: it seems the northern dialects get their /ʡ, ʜ/ from original *q, *χ, while original *qʰ, *qʼ remain uvular.
Not actually new.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Disambiguation;
This is the basics of the syntax of English;
it is not the syntax of B.A.S.I.C. English.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

For those of you who learn German, this might be valuable: http://www.duden.de — You can access the whole Duden Deutsche Rechtschreibung now, apparently. Including pronunciation read out by actual people and basic information on etymology from Duden Herkunftswörterbuch.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Guitarplayer wrote:For those of you who learn German, this might be valuable: http://www.duden.de — You can access the whole Duden Deutsche Rechtschreibung now, apparently. Including pronunciation read out by actual people and basic information on etymology from Duden Herkunftswörterbuch.

So wie sagt mann "dude" auf Deutsche anyway?

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

TomHChappell wrote:So wie sagt mann "dude" auf Deutsche anyway?
First of all, it's auf Deutsch (deutsche only exists as an adjective, where -e is a declension suffix). However, I usually hear Mann or Alter. The title of the movie Dude, Where's My Car? was translated as Ey Mann, wo is mein Auto? for example.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Guitarplayer wrote:
TomHChappell wrote:So wie sagt mann "dude" auf Deutsche anyway?
First of all, it's auf Deutsch (deutsche only exists as an adjective, where -e is a declension suffix). However, I usually hear Mann or Alter. The title of the movie Dude, Where's My Car? was translated as Ey Mann, wo is mein Auto? for example.
Thanks.
So what are Duden?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Duden's the name of the dictionary. Like the most important German-language dictionary.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Entertaining and well-made Lushootseed videos

http://www.kanutv.com/Lushootseed.html

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Does anyone know of a nice Proto-Germanic wordlist? And maybe a nice grammar. All I have so far is the wiki page and this.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I've come across a couple resources on Jersey Dutch: the descendant Dutch dialect spoken by the descendants of the Dutch settlers in New Netherland. It's kind of cool, and didn't completely die out until the early 20th century. Not bad, considering its speakers were under English-speaking control after 1667. Oh, and a fun fact I picked up: It was the native language of Martin Van Buren, the only president whose mother tongue wasn't English.

Okay, the first is an article from the December 1958 edition of American Speech, entitled A Final Word on Jersey Dutch, and has some notes on the context of the language in history, and some discussions of its phonological differences with Standard Dutch.

The second can be found on page 459 of Dialect Notes: Vol III, and is entitled "The Jersey Dutch Dialect". It's fairly old, from 1905, but gives a pronunciation guide, samples, a grammar sketch, and glossary. It seems to be based at least partly on first-hand research by the author, J Dyneley Prince, interviewing the remaining speakers of the language.

Thought some of you might find it interesting!
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

^^ Thanks for an extremely interesting read !

The 1950s article was very accurate, even in places where they claimed that a certain form came from 'dialect Dutch'. Jersey Dutch shows some interesting developments indeed. Similar vowel developments can be seen in some Flemish dialects (like raising of /e:/).

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Aaaanyway, why I really came to this thread:

Does anyone know some good grammars of Scots (not gaelic, just scots), or other resources about it? I need a focus on morphology and syntax, in particular, and also things about anaphors, reciprocals etc. I can access virtually all things through university and such.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Wir Ain Leid? I can't vouch for the accuracy, due to my lack of Scots skills, but it seems pretty complete.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Don't know; probably just like dialectal difference or something but what I heard before for January and February is Janiveer and Febiveer. What I read before was Modern Scots by Alexander Bergs. And then there's the Concise Scots dictionary. But those aren't online. One thing online is Dictionary of the Scots language. You could also try A Scots grammar: Scots grammar and usage by David Purves.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Hmm, considering that I already found most of those (including Bergs 2001, of which I have a copy here, borrowed from the library) I guess that confirms I did my research reasonably well. If you have more suggestions, they don't have to be on-line since I can just get everything out of the library for free.

edit: thanks for the Purves link !

What I think is another option, is there someone on this board who happens to be a native speaker of Scots? If so, please give me the username and I'll try to contact them. You never know, since there's even some speakers here of exotic languages like Irish and Limburgish, why not Scots.

But thanks a lot anyway !..

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

There's several scotsmen on the board. Whether they consider themselves Scots speakers is another matter entirely.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I've always thought that Scots is either A) a carefully constructed practical joke or B) a tool of the nationalists. It also C) makes you look illiterate.

But Åge considers himself a speaker.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

*Ceresz wrote:Does anyone know of a nice Proto-Germanic wordlist? And maybe a nice grammar. All I have so far is the wiki page and this.
You could look here.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/hajpapers.html — Dunno if it's useful, but he seems to be a classic figure in linguistics.

wendolpho
Niš
Niš

Post by wendolpho »

Matt wrote:I mentioned this in the happy things thread, but it belongs here as well.

A 600 page PhD thesis (by one Charles Julian) dated September of last year. It's titled "A History of the Iroquoian Languages"; it is a reconstruction of Proto-Iroquoian and also gives sound changes into all the attested daughter languages. It's pretty epic.

http://mspace.lib.umanitoba.ca/bitstrea ... harles.pdf
Ohmygod I am so going to study this and maybe come up with an Iroquoian conlang! *looks at the clock reading 3AM and sighs*

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

finlay wrote:I've always thought that Scots is either A) a carefully constructed practical joke or B) a tool of the nationalists. It also C) makes you look illiterate.

But Åge considers himself a speaker.
I always thought it was part of a dialect continuum with English, so it can look like a legitimate language or just nationalist posturing (like the fabled Moldovan language) depending on how you look at it.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."